L'Oreal Telescopic Carbon Black

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

So you know when you buy something because there is hype around it and then you bring it home and think "I probably shouldn't have gotten my hopes up because this is nothing like what I expected"? Well that's what I first thought when I tried this mascara but I have to tell you, my love affair with it has grown by leaps and bounds to the point where this is my absolute go to mascara for top lashes!

COLOR: a true jet black, not in the least bit charcoal grey

LENGTH vs. VOLUME: The brush makes this a very lengthening mascara and while it is not the most volumizing mascara I've ever used, the formulation is thick enough and the color dark enough that it makes the lashes look complementarily full (i.e. not spidery).

CONSISTENCY: As I mentioned, the formulation is fairly thick but quite wet as well and as it is drying, you have to be VERY careful not to smudge it. Because of this little dilemma, I tend to use it only on my top lashes. The brush is way too hard to use on the bottom lashes and the formulation so wet that it would immediately transfer under the eye.

STAYING POWER: It lasts well throughout the day without displaying any signs of wear if undisturbed. That being said, sometimes I like to reapply mascara in the evening before going onstage (I am a musician) to amp up my look and unfortunately, this mascara dries quite hard and brittle so you really can't reapply this or any other mascara on top of an already dry layer of the Telescopic without it flaking off and leaving residue under your eyes. But that is small potatoes in my opinion...

TRUTH to ADVERTISEMENT: L'oreal advertises 3 main specifications: a) "lengthens up to 60%" I haven't done a scientific study so I don't know about "60%" but IS a good lengthening mascara b) "removes easily with soap and water" Since it is not a waterproof product it does start to loosen with even just water BUT in order to remove all of it and not wake up with mascara-ey racoon eyes, you have to use a genuine eye makeup remover c) "suitable for sensitive eyes" I'm sorry but this is absolutely NOT TRUE. I wore this on a sunny day once so my eyes started watering and I got a little mascara in my eye and it burned so badly, I had to rub my eye thus ryuining my makeup and getting even more mascara in my eye. Luckily because it is fragrance free, once removing all product from my eye with the Lumene Sensitive Eyes eye makeup remover, there was no remaining irritation exception my own annoyedness at having one eye done and one eye bare in the middle of the day.

PACKAGING: The outside is quite cute because it is shaped like a gold telescope. The cap also seals very well so the product does not dry out quickly like a lot of other mascaras I've used including CoverGirl LashBlast and Stila Major Lash (for which I have another review if you are interested). The brush is one of those funny, flimsy, long, plastic ones with only four lines of bristles which makes it a bit challenging to figure out how to use without clumping the mascara badly because it holds a ton of product as it passes through the head of the tube.

BANG for BUCK: Go for it! $8.99 is a great price for this and the consistency will remain forever (although you should dispose of mascaras every 3-4 months for sanitary reasons) because of the great packaging. Just be sure to give yourself a little time to get used to how to wear it on your face, since everyone is different.

Hope that was helpful!!! :)

I really liked this mascara because it lengthened my lashes and it didnt clump up and separated my lashes nicely. It didnt do much for giving volume. So if your looking for thick lashes i would choose another mascara

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

The brush is strange and needs some getting used to. If you go over a spot, lashes tend to clump. One coat should do it because lashes pop. This lasts altho can speck a bit. So on the fence. Been using for almost 2 weeks.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

love this works great leanghtens my lashes combs through them nicley a bit pricey but when its on I get a false eyelash look amazing and money well spent

Love, love love this mascara. My lashes look like extensions! I'm going to stock up on it, just in case they should stop making it!

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I really wanted to like this, and I had high hopes that the special wand would help me get the little lashes in the corners...

but it just clumps sooo bad!!!! : ( and that is a no go...

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is the best length mascara its one of my favorites you should put a volumizing mascara with it i use The colossal maybelline its goes well with a length mascara

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This is at the higher end of the DS cosmetics continuum. Pricier, but worth it in my opinion and really unique among mascaras.

The packaging is really fun and creative but still looks appropriate on an adult's vanity table.

The comb is a nice addition and works well with the formula, which is quite thin. I personally don't need a thickening mascara, so this is perfect. It gives me dark, pure black fan like lashes.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Wanted to love this product as I based buying it solely on MUA reviews. Purchased at CVS for $10.95 and will be returning it. Liked the packaging and the wand but it just didn't perform as I hoped. First off, I would classify my asian lashes as short, wimpy, thin, and breakable. I have to use an eyelash curler daily as my lashes grow straight down. I curl-pump for about 10 seconds and need to apply mascara in a hurry before my lashes drop back into place. This stuff doesn't hold the curl at all, doesn't thicken or volumize. I was going for a more natural look but just couldn't achieve it. Sigh. Will stick with L'Oreal's voluminous in waterproof black - NOT carbon black, eww. I think something in the waterproof mascaras keeps my lashes curled.
Have read that telescopic is a good base mascara...I'm going to be honest and say that my time is too valuable to be messing around with two different mascaras every morning. My morning makeup application takes 10 minutes and if it went beyond that, it would be time to assess what the problem is with the products I'm using.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this masara, I would buy it over and over and over again. It's the best lengthening mascara I have used, because It actually lengthens. I must note you do have to apply it correctly, with the comb brushing through your eyelashes. Though, I don't use the product alone I also use a volumizing mascara, like my favorite, buxom lash afterwards. Telescopic is not so good as a volumizing mascara, but It will boost your volumizing mascara by apply Telescopic first.

Popular Mascaras