MAC Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

3.8

NEW Formula August 2012: Estimted PPD: 6.2 Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 5%, Octisalate 5%, Oxybenzone 3%. Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Methyl Trimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Polyester-8, Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui) Seed Oil, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, PEG-100 Stearate, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dipentaerythrityl Tri-polyhydroxystearate, Laminaria Ochroleuca Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Morus Nigra (Mulberry) Root Extract, Scutellaria Biacalensis Root Extract, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Yeast Extract, Whey Protein, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Caffeine, Ethylhexylglycerin, Acetyl Glucosamine, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, C30-38 Olefin/Isopropyl Malate/MA Copolymer, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Caprylyl Glycol, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Mica ORIGINAL Formula: Estimated PPD ~ 9.1 Active ingredients: Zinc Oxide 16.10%, Octinoxate 7.50% Water\Aqua\Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, PEG-7 Dimethicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Methyl Gluceth-10, Glycerin, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Caffeine, Tocopherol, Sucrose, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Cellulose Acetate, Methicone, PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Silica, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin

on 1/26/2010 1:01:00 AM

Make up tends to go on smoother but it doesn't help my makeup stay on longer. It dries out my cheeks after a while yet doesn't control the oil on my t-zone. I think it really is overpriced for what it is. However, it's the first primer I have used so have nothing to compare it to. I will be trying ModelCo face base next.

on 1/15/2010 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is an over-hyped product that is really just a cream with sunscreen. It is so expensive and the quality does not match it's price! The packaging is very awkward, the tube makes it very hard to squeeze the product out once you reach the last bits of it. I do not see any noticeable difference between applying this primer or without applying this primer. My makeup stays the same and by the end of the day there is the general fading. I really don't think MAC's strong point is in skincare. Not buying this again.

on 1/12/2010 8:58:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

This stuff is amazing, because I have really oily skin and it keeps it matte all day - something I didn't think was possible. It also amazes me that such a high SPF doesn't clog my skin. My foundation sticks to it like glue and stays looking fresh all day. Big love for this product!

on 1/10/2010 1:06:00 AM

This keeps oil at bay very well.

The only problem I have with it is that I don't trust the sun protection qualities of this without knowing the PPD of it. The spf only indicates that it blocks UVB rays (the burning ones) whilst it's the UVA rays (remember A for ageing) that do the real damage and are present at any time of the year and can permeate glass.

So I would only buy this again if MAC ensure that there is a high UVA rating for this and indicate that it is photostable (meaning that it has been tested to last longer than average). If the sun protection in this was as good as La Roche Posay spf50 with a PPD of 28-30 it would be absolutely amazing!!! Until then I'll carry on dreaming of the perfect primer and all the time it would save me waiting for various unctions to be absorbed in the morning and all the annoyance it causes my boyfriend when he's waiting for us to go out!

on 12/24/2009 8:53:00 AM

This product doesn't prep and prime. But oh well...What I like most about it MAC Prep and Prime Face Protect SPF 50 is the fact that there's a - what's in a name? - SPF 50 in it and despite this, does not make my skin feel too oily or break out. I do wonder about the sun filters though. They might me the chemical ones that are allowed in the US and Canada, but come with a warning in The Netherlands. I might buy a product with natural, thoroughly researched filters instead.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I LOVE THIS! I have just started using this after being such a long time customer to bare minerals prime time which I loved as well. But this is amazing. It is great for my oily skin. My skin stays matte the whole day!!! And my foundation stays on the whole day as well. I don't touch up my face at all, and I have really oily acne skin. I highly recommend it. It is totally worth the price and I would repurchase it again. I love the spf cuz I don't put anything on my face unless it has spf so that is a big bonus for me. I wear it under my moisturizer then my foundations goes on. I find this works for me and I will continue to use it. I am never going back to my prime time which still made my skin oily.

on 12/22/2009 2:31:00 PM

This is the best $30 I have ever spent on a makeup product. It makes my makeup last the entire day from 7am to 11PM (when I wash my fash for bed). I have oily skin as well and this makes my face matte the entire time I am wearing makeup, I never have to blot or reapply powder.It does have a strong chemical odor and the packaging is a little strange but the product is phenomenal. I will contiue to buy this product over and over again.

Update: The package becomes even more annoying once you start to finish up the product. It have to push the product out with all my strength and even then I have squeezed a large amount which went to waste. As far as the staying power it continues to hold my foundation but not always my blush and bronzer. So I probably will not repurchase this product in the future.

on 12/21/2009 3:47:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this primer as YouTube make-up reviewer, Lisasz09 highly raved about it. On top of that, I felt more inclined to this primer since SPF is included in it. It's two things in one - what more can I ask for?

So I went ahead and bought this primer from a MAC counter. When I looked at the price and the amount of product, I was a little surprised. For $30 dollars and only 30 ML, I was turned off by it. I also felt like the product's container was a little odd. Nonetheless, that was the least important to me and more concerned about the actual product itself.

When applied to my face, I noticed that it absorbed after a few minutes. The consistency of this primer I feel is a hybrid between a silicone and lotion feel. I had to shake this product before squeezing it out of the tube because if not, it comes off watery and runny which I assumed is from the SPF. While this held my make-up (better than Smashbox's Photofinish), I felt that the end of the day, it left a greasy feel to my skin which I did not like.

I *TRIED* to like to product because I've always felt Lisasz09s raves are worth it, but I had to make an exception with this primer. I returned it and got Make Up For Ever's HD primer in Neutral, shade #0 instead from Sephora.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I had just finished my bottle of Prep and Prime Skin, which I loved, but opted for this one since it has the SPF. What a waste, and I hardly find myself saying that when talking about products from MAC. It has a peculiar smell but, that isn't even what I had a problem with. It was somewhat thick, not the same consistency as the regular Prep and Prime, but I understand that that must be from the SPF. I also find myself having to use more than I would with the good old non-SPF one. At the end of the day when I first used it, I took off all my make-up and noticed dry spots on my face. At the same time I purchased this, I began using a new moisturizer, and I refused to blame my beloved MAC, so I stopped using the moisturizer. Days later and with continuous use of this wretched primer, my entire face feels so dry. I will definitely not re-purchase. In my opinion, I think the price was fair, exactly what you would expect. I wasn't to keen on the packaging though, I would have preferred to it be a pump. Not everyone has the same reaction as I had, but if you're planning on purchasing this, consider asking for a sample beforehand.

on 12/9/2009 11:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I like the SPF 50 and the texture feels very light. However, I agree with some of the reviews here that it may trigger break outs and smells like a tube of chemical.