July 23, 2014 | 1299 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Philosophy - The Present Clear Makeup

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2006 7:32:00 PM More reviews by chi77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I use it as a primer after my regular daytime moisturizer and prior to applying any foundation or powder. I squeeze just a pearl size amount and apply it to my cheeks and nose where my pores are more obvious. I just wait for about a minute to let it set. Then I pat on my foundation. The clear makeup actually blurs the pores, redness and fine lines that my foundation can't conceal. It doesn't control oil. So I still use powder to set my foundation. But this is way better than Clinique's Pore Minimizer (too drying and cakes up my makeup).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2006 8:56:00 PM More reviews by chickety

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got a sample of this and figured I'd give it a try. I haven't been impressed with Philosophy products I'd tried previously, so I didn't have any expectations for The Present. I've tried quite a few primers; Smashbox, Sephora, Clarins, Prescriptives, Monistat. I like the Present the best. I couldn't believe it when I put it on. I have dry skin, and I moisturized first. Then put on a very small amount of The Present and waited the two minutes. I went back and looked in the mirror and my skin looked like I had foundation on already! My skin felt softer, looked smoother. The tone was more even, and it had a slight mattifying effect. On a good day, I can get away with only using The Present. What's even better, is that it feels light and non pore clogging (like Smashbox and Clarins did). I think The Present has actually helped my skin. I will be buying a full size when my sample runs out. But that wont be for a long time because you only need very little and the sample I received is very generous.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/1/2006 12:09:00 PM More reviews by jadite1998

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Skin: Dry

I got a sample of this primer and I tested it out for a day because I didn't want to use it any longer than that. It looks like white colored lotion with a hint of lavender scent. I initially had high hopes since I'm a fan of the Smashbox Primer and Lavender scented products. The Present makes made my complexion look better after application...felt almost moisturized. The instructions said to wait a full two minutes to allow the product to set/dry before applying your makeup. When the two minutes was up I was able to see the white whirls of product on my face. The product had dried eneven and did not leave a smooth surface like most Silicone Primers. I applied my foundation over the primer and the primer balled up and made my foundation blotchy and flaky. I would never bother with this product again. My skin looked much worse with this product on.

*Possibily better for someone with oily skin who's looking for a alternative to the silkiness of silicone based Primers.*

rated 4 of 5 on 10/28/2006 8:50:00 AM More reviews by purplegirlie

This is a wonderful product for people who want their skin to look nicer, but who don't want to use a bunch of makeup to achieve this goal. It doesn't provide any coverage, per se; it just kind of "blurs" whatever isn't perfect about your face. In other words, it's not going to magically cover a blemish, but it WILL keep that blemish from looking so glaringly obvious. It also provides a nice matte finish--attractive on its own, or as a smooth base for face makeup. The sales associate at the Philosophy counter told me that this product keeps bacteria from running rampant on your face, which should lead to fewer breakouts; I'm not sure if this is true, but it IS true that I break out a lot less when I use this product consistently. Thankfully, this is a product that works better the LESS you use: put any more than a pea-size amount on your face, and it will roll off in little pieces, making a lumpy mess. A little goes a long way with this one!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/19/2006 11:02:00 AM More reviews by bobbi12781

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I got this product as part of a kit. At first I was wondering why anyone would ever want a clear foundation--but now I'm sold. I really like this product and there are tons of ways to use it.

1. Over your entire face w/o makeup. Really makes your skin look more matte and uniform. Makes it feel really soft, too!
2. Over your face with makeup on top. This is what I'll do for a big night out. Just let it try for 2 minutes before applying foundation.
3. Only on certain sections of your face. During the week when I don't wear much makeup, I'll only apply The Present on my nose which usually looks greasy mid-day. When I wear this topped w/ mineral foundation, my skin looks way less oily.

Overall, this product is definitely worth the money. One of the better and easier to use primers out there.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2006 9:20:00 PM More reviews by blast76

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Besides being a nice primer, this product alone makes your skin look better without foundation. I am not sure about the pores, but it definitely gets rid of redness and mattifies oily part of your face. A must-have item when you are for no-make-up-look.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2006 8:40:00 PM More reviews by iloveboxers

personally this product works well for me--I don't have very greasy skin and not too many blemishes, so for days when I don't really need a lot of coverage (or don't have time to put on foundation) I put this on. It makes your face look "finished" but not makeup heavy like a lot of foundations do. Just your skin but better. The one bottle I have has lasted me forever--you don't need a lot--and I will definitely buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2006 6:59:00 PM More reviews by CMorneau1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a great primer. It works well in place of moisturizer as a primer for minerals. A little goes a long way, so don't glop it on or it will never dry!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2006 2:12:00 AM More reviews by Soie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

When applied evenly, and with a light hand, this really does give my finished makeup an airbrushed quality. My only gripe is that it doesn't wear well under humid conditions; it seems to draw excess moisture to itself which, in turn, causes my carefully applied foundation to look like I have a thick coating of greasy spackle (with a billion beads of sweat clinging to it) all over my face.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/16/2006 2:00:00 AM More reviews by barsoap

I have been on the lookout for a primer that 'smooths' my face for foundation. Granted, I've only used this for a few times - and never used it again. The Present made my skin dry, adding flakiness where I applied it and concealer is gunky and obvious on it, even though I've already let it dry for 3min. For me, this just doesn't deliver its promise of 'airbrushed skin', nor does it 'prepare' my face for a smooth makeup application. It does quite the contrary for me, actually. A rating of 2 is the most I am willing to give to this Philosophy product.