April 19, 2014 | 1066 users online

Deodorants - Certain Dri

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2008 12:50:00 AM More reviews by laracole

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

HG all the way. I started using this a few months ago and its AMAZING. This is a TRUE antiperspirant, which prevents your pores from sweating. After a while you don't need to use as much to get the same effects, so I'm down to using only once a week at most if any.

When you first use it, use sparingly until you build a tolerance for the FEEL of the stuff. What I mean is if you use it after a shower when your pits are wet it will STING and itch for a while. When you use it after shaving it will BURN sting then itch! But now it no longer affects me that way, but the benefits have remained! This stuff is a god send for those for whom regular antiperspirant or even "prescription strength" (ei secret, dove, etc) don't cut it. That stuff by itself just ended up staining my clothes and not working at all. But by using this at night, you'll eventually stop sweating from your pits. Only a little if you're doing an intense workout but its not funky b/o like you would normally.

The packaging tends to leak, however. i took a reviewers advice and punctured a hole in the bottom and placed the product in a misting spray bottle. Perfect. YOU need to get this if you have underarm problems and can't seem to find a deodorant/antiperspirant thats strong enough for you.

ALSO, this product has the same active ingredient as drysol (aluminum chloride), but is non prescription because its water based, not alcohol.

So anyone with a sweating PROBLEM, try this. I guarantee, if you can follow directions, then you can use this stuff. FOLLOW directions! Use at night before bed!!! it makes all the difference.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2008 10:54:00 PM More reviews by chrissycrazy4

This is the savior of half my t-shirts. Unless I'm wearing a shirt that doesn't touch my armpits (like a tank top) or I'm inside in A/C, I can sweat and get stains unless it's a perfect 62.5 degrees Fahrenheit with a 10 mph wind to cool me off. Ridiculous. I've used things like Tussy (another roll-on, active ingredient: Aluminum Chlorohydrate) and Lady Speed Stick (solid, uses Aluminum zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly 15.4% @__@ ) which were both average, and both left white stains on my shirts.

Enter MUA, my new authority for all things good and bad. Certain Dri had good reviews!! I had to try it, and picked it up at my local Walgreens within the next week. Applied it at night (hadn't shaved for 2 full days) and then the night after (still no shaving). And I didn't sweat a drop!!!!!!!! Happiness ensued and HG status was given to my Certain Dri.

After that I applied it every other night for about a week, with no fire pits, and only shaved once due to my fear of fire pits. A few days ago, I had a big event coming up (and a nice shirt to wear to it) so I shaved in the morning and applied Certain Dri around 4 - and got mini-fire pits. Oops... so the lesson learned is that I have to stick to an application schedule.
(Note: I don't use Certain Dri AM)

Place your trust in Certain Dri, ladies. You won't regret it!

Scores:
Overall = 5 because it works
Price = 2 because 6 dollars for something you use every other day is well spent money.
Packing = 3 - if you apply too much it drips and dries slowly, but given it's a liquid options are limited.
Buying again? Yes!

My package: 1.2 fluid ounces, $5.99 (not on sale) Active Ingredient: Aluminum Chloride 12%

Edit Aug '08: I'd like to mention that the package insert does say that the aluminum chloride actually closes off your pores.... You only have to apply it every other day or even twice a week to keep your pores closed, depending on what works for you. The package insert is very interesting. ;)

Edit Oct '08: Sometimes I get this musky smell if I sweat a little bit... and my BO hasn't smelled like that before. It's not a bad smell, it just reminds me of weird cologne.

Edit August '09: I've gone down to using this about once/twice a week, even in the summer. When I forget for more than 3 days and work outside I sweat a bit, but nothing compared to before... either this can be attributed to my new morning deodorant (Secret 'Spring Breeze' - I LOVE the scent) or that the Certain Dri closes off the pores in the long term... and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Edit June '10: I've transitioned to moving this maybe once or twice every two weeks during the winter, and more during the summer. The most important development for me is that it 'bleached' my armpits - not very badly where people would comment on it, but I know it looks different which is not good. It looks like what Benzoyl Peroxide does to towels except less white. The bleaching is right down the center of my armpit, frankly - right where the majority of the Certain Dri was usually applied.

I stopped using Certain Dri for maybe 1 month, and the 'bleached' look receded. I still use it, but only in preparation for a event or wearing a nice shirt. Again, I think it permanently closed off some of my pores because during that month of 'abstinence' I didn't sweat nearly as much as I did before I started. I still use Secret every day. The moral of the story: use and monitor with caution.

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/25/2008 4:50:00 PM More reviews by teeisblue

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

The best thing about this product is that it actually does what it says it will do. Which is terrific and also rare, haha. The reason I quit using it is that it makes my armpits itchy and sometimes I'd get little bumps like razor burn, even if I hadn't just bathed or shaved. And I also don't care for the smell of this the next day. Kind of a plastic-y, musky smell. Whatever, it's weird. So I tried the Degree Clinical. Much better performance and scents.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2008 10:22:00 PM More reviews by dispassionate

i absolutely LOVE this. I don't normally sweat anywhere except for my underarms, which is really gross. I used to be afraid of lifting my arms because I would have gross wet stains, but my friend recommended this and after a couple of days it worked beautifully. It does make my underarms red and itchy sometimes, but you have to be sure to put on just a little and NEVER put it on right after shaving. Wait a couple of days after you shave to use it. Definitely a lifesaver and a necessity.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2008 11:03:00 AM More reviews by forksfinest

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

After trying EVERYTHING out there and still sweating standing still, I tried this and it is AWESOME! I no longer have to worry about what color shirt I am wearing and pit stains, gross!! Absolutely buy buy buy!!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2008 6:17:00 PM More reviews by SlowRnB

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been buying Certain Dri for around 4 years now. Ok, yes, it will sting and itch if you apply too much...but hey, for completely getting rid of sweat, it's a small price to pay. This is coming from a girl who at 14 could sweat through a thick sweater while sitting down doing completely nothing. Yeah, nasty, but it just shows you how good this stuff works. I used to not wear thin t-shirts and avoid certain colors because I sweat so much. It was so embarassing. I wouldn't raise my hand in class (hello pit stain) and it was hurting my confidence. I saw this on tv and ran out to buy it. I'm so glad I did. I apply it about a **half hour** after my shower. I find it doesn't sting this way because my underarm skin has a little time to toughen up right after I shaved it. Also, I use it about 3x a week. Not every night. In the mornings, I use a plain' ole Secret Deo. I do not sweat even through thin tanktops in 90 degree heat now. I love this stuff. I will always repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2008 11:17:00 PM More reviews by lil_me

I used to be able to use Mitchum anti-perspirant every few days or so and everything was going great. However, after having my kids, I've been experiencing some 'not-so-confident' days. Even on some cooler days, I started getting a nasty whiff of my pits and it was starting to annoy me. My clothes started to smell a bit funky and get yellow stains, too... I searched around different blogs and came across this product.

Certain Dri Ingredients:
Active Ingredients: Aluminum Chloride (12%) (Antiperspirant)

Inactive Ingredients: Sodium Bicarbonate, Water

You use it in the evenings and make sure you do NOT shave or pluck because it will sting and itch like nobody's business! I guess you apply at night because your pores are not as active and the ingredients goes to work to 'close off' your sweat glands...The liquid is unscented, clear and has the consistency of water!

It works, but it is too potent! I think there must be something really bad about this to work so well.... One day, I forgot to use it the night before as instructed and I applied it before leaving the house in the morning. Big mistake! It burned a hole in my blouse.... See, I told you it's bad stuff...

So far, I have tried---Arrid XX, Secret, Mitchum, Ban, Crystal Rock (deodorant), and Dove. I am gonna try the Clinical Strength Secret one, but it's kind of expensive. I think it's over $10...

Clinical Strength Secret Ingredients:
Active Ingredients: Aluminum Zirconium Tetrachlorohydrex Gly (20%)

Inactive Ingredients: CyclopentaSiloxane, Dimethicone, Tribehenin, Peterolatum, Cyclodextrin, C18-36 Acid Triglyceride, Fragrance, PPG 14 Butyl Ether

There must something out there that works without burning a hole through my clothes or cause my pits to break out in welts. If it's out there, let me know...please email me!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2008 11:44:00 AM More reviews by Arenal

The good news: it works.

The bad news: it's harsh on underarm skin, and can cause itching and redness.

If you use this, use very *sparingly* and no more than 3x/week.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2008 7:44:00 PM More reviews by Chlorine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I don't sweat a lot under my arms. I mean, I do sweat, but I think I sweat pretty moderately. But what the hell does that matter? I don't want to sweat any. If you don't sweat, you don't smell. That's the way I worked out that logic, anyway.

This stuff definitely knocked out my sweating. It was kind of bizarro to be out at a bar sweating like OJ under oath but perfectly dry beneath my arms. The logic of no smelling didn't quite hold up, though. I'm never smelly enough to smell it without serious investigation, but it's still there so I'm seeking the deodorant with the smell of my dreams.

But y'all, here's my darker secret. I have really bad forehead sweating issues. I guess I'm a nervous person or something. Anyway, it was always mucking up my bangs, even in cold weather, so, you know. I thought I'd try this on my forehead. I'll do anything for good bangs. It totally worked. My forehead hasn't sweat a drop since, and I haven't broken out like crazy or anything. Magic! Sweaty magic!

37 out of 37 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/2/2008 8:15:00 PM More reviews by prmami212

I have had a sweating problem since I was in Junior High... I would sweat whether it was hot and humid, okay weather or if it was freezing outside. I would sweat all the way down to my mid ribs and to prevent this from showing, I had to wear a black sweater otherwise everyone would know my problem and I HAD to wear the color black because I would sweat through. I randomly discovered this product and it has made my life so much better! I hardly ever sweat anymore unless I'm extremely hot. I could even skip a 3 days! I only gave it 4 lippies because if you use it too much, your skin will get dry and crack and after a while, i began to have a musky ordor so I stopped using it. But because of it, I can use ANY deordant without fear of excessive sweating. This product is a real life changer!!!