September 21, 2014 | 1264 users online

Deodorants - Certain Dri

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2008 7:47:00 PM More reviews by curlycuesue

All I can say is Certain Dri is a godsend! I've been a faithful user for years, and it's just amazing. Yes, it gets very itchy if you apply too much, and yes, it irritates if you apply right after a shower, but it's totally worth it. I actually started applying it to my feet, too, and now they're totally dry. The only downside is b/c the sweat is prevented from coming out of my underarms and feet, my body compensates by releasing more sweat on my face, back, and neck. I'm contemplating applying CD to these places, but then where would all that sweat go?? Are my forearms and kneecaps gonna sweat profusely? ;-) Seriously though, b/c of CD, I no longer fear those dreaded pit-stains and can raise my arms in confidence. Thanks, Certain Dri!!! =)~

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2008 9:52:00 AM More reviews by besidetheocean

This stuff really works! It works so well that sometimes I forget that I even need to apply it at night. That's fine though, because one application can be effective for a few days at a time. I do still use a separate deodorant in the mornings since this is just an antiperspirant. My suggestion would be to definitely follow the directions closely and don't apply too soon after shaving or it can be painful. One or two swipes under each arm is plenty.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2008 11:58:00 AM More reviews by charmandluck

I just used this product last night. I read the reviews on makeupalley, and i said what the heck why not! I have nothing to lose! i am a teenager, and it's so embarrasing to raise your hand or even move your arms. It was 4.50 at target, so i thought that was pretty cheap. I read the directions 3x, and very slowly and carefully ( like people said.) I was kinda nervous if it would burn or itch, but it didn't! I was relieved. I went to bed an hour later, and woke up excited to see if this worked. And its 11:55 AM, and I blow dried, straightened, and am wearing a very non forgiving color and fabric to sweat. and guess what?? NO SWEAT!! I am wearing dove go fresh energizing , just so i have a clean scent. you dont need to buy the AM kind. I would reccomend this product to anyone who has a excessive sweating problem, and can't find any "clinical strength" products that work. TRY THIS! it is a miracle in a bottle, and this saved me.

i love it!!!!!

p.s i tried secret, dove,degree clinical strength. & nothing worked. I spent so much money, using 4 anti-persperants at one time, and nothign worked. I thought i would have to live with this my WHOLE LIFE, but trust me.. it is a confidence booster, and you'll really want to move your hands around. i would even sweat in 30 degree weather!! and with light shirts on!!!

UPDATE: i actually used this after i showered/shaved it stung for a minute. thats it :D

EDIT: 1 MONTH LATER.
im still using certain dri. every other day now. It doesn't work as well as it did in the begginning but its a keeper

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 8/6/2008 10:38:00 PM More reviews by delenn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I received a packet of trial sized Certain Dri pads with a CVS order and tested one out last night. I used one pad and applied just as directed, a few strokes under each arm at bedtime. My skin was not broken or irritated, I had not recently shaved and I had not just bathed.

This product is not for me. An hour after application, my armpits were so itchy that I had to get up and wash the product off. I can't comment on effectiveness as an antiperspirant/deodorant, obviously, but this should be used with caution by those with allgeries or sensitive skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2008 12:50:00 AM More reviews by laracole

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

HG all the way. I started using this a few months ago and its AMAZING. This is a TRUE antiperspirant, which prevents your pores from sweating. After a while you don't need to use as much to get the same effects, so I'm down to using only once a week at most if any.

When you first use it, use sparingly until you build a tolerance for the FEEL of the stuff. What I mean is if you use it after a shower when your pits are wet it will STING and itch for a while. When you use it after shaving it will BURN sting then itch! But now it no longer affects me that way, but the benefits have remained! This stuff is a god send for those for whom regular antiperspirant or even "prescription strength" (ei secret, dove, etc) don't cut it. That stuff by itself just ended up staining my clothes and not working at all. But by using this at night, you'll eventually stop sweating from your pits. Only a little if you're doing an intense workout but its not funky b/o like you would normally.

The packaging tends to leak, however. i took a reviewers advice and punctured a hole in the bottom and placed the product in a misting spray bottle. Perfect. YOU need to get this if you have underarm problems and can't seem to find a deodorant/antiperspirant thats strong enough for you.

ALSO, this product has the same active ingredient as drysol (aluminum chloride), but is non prescription because its water based, not alcohol.

So anyone with a sweating PROBLEM, try this. I guarantee, if you can follow directions, then you can use this stuff. FOLLOW directions! Use at night before bed!!! it makes all the difference.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2008 10:54:00 PM More reviews by chrissycrazy4

This is the savior of half my t-shirts. Unless I'm wearing a shirt that doesn't touch my armpits (like a tank top) or I'm inside in A/C, I can sweat and get stains unless it's a perfect 62.5 degrees Fahrenheit with a 10 mph wind to cool me off. Ridiculous. I've used things like Tussy (another roll-on, active ingredient: Aluminum Chlorohydrate) and Lady Speed Stick (solid, uses Aluminum zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly 15.4% @__@ ) which were both average, and both left white stains on my shirts.

Enter MUA, my new authority for all things good and bad. Certain Dri had good reviews!! I had to try it, and picked it up at my local Walgreens within the next week. Applied it at night (hadn't shaved for 2 full days) and then the night after (still no shaving). And I didn't sweat a drop!!!!!!!! Happiness ensued and HG status was given to my Certain Dri.

After that I applied it every other night for about a week, with no fire pits, and only shaved once due to my fear of fire pits. A few days ago, I had a big event coming up (and a nice shirt to wear to it) so I shaved in the morning and applied Certain Dri around 4 - and got mini-fire pits. Oops... so the lesson learned is that I have to stick to an application schedule.
(Note: I don't use Certain Dri AM)

Place your trust in Certain Dri, ladies. You won't regret it!

Scores:
Overall = 5 because it works
Price = 2 because 6 dollars for something you use every other day is well spent money.
Packing = 3 - if you apply too much it drips and dries slowly, but given it's a liquid options are limited.
Buying again? Yes!

My package: 1.2 fluid ounces, $5.99 (not on sale) Active Ingredient: Aluminum Chloride 12%

Edit Aug '08: I'd like to mention that the package insert does say that the aluminum chloride actually closes off your pores.... You only have to apply it every other day or even twice a week to keep your pores closed, depending on what works for you. The package insert is very interesting. ;)

Edit Oct '08: Sometimes I get this musky smell if I sweat a little bit... and my BO hasn't smelled like that before. It's not a bad smell, it just reminds me of weird cologne.

Edit August '09: I've gone down to using this about once/twice a week, even in the summer. When I forget for more than 3 days and work outside I sweat a bit, but nothing compared to before... either this can be attributed to my new morning deodorant (Secret 'Spring Breeze' - I LOVE the scent) or that the Certain Dri closes off the pores in the long term... and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Edit June '10: I've transitioned to moving this maybe once or twice every two weeks during the winter, and more during the summer. The most important development for me is that it 'bleached' my armpits - not very badly where people would comment on it, but I know it looks different which is not good. It looks like what Benzoyl Peroxide does to towels except less white. The bleaching is right down the center of my armpit, frankly - right where the majority of the Certain Dri was usually applied.

I stopped using Certain Dri for maybe 1 month, and the 'bleached' look receded. I still use it, but only in preparation for a event or wearing a nice shirt. Again, I think it permanently closed off some of my pores because during that month of 'abstinence' I didn't sweat nearly as much as I did before I started. I still use Secret every day. The moral of the story: use and monitor with caution.

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/25/2008 4:50:00 PM More reviews by teeisblue

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

The best thing about this product is that it actually does what it says it will do. Which is terrific and also rare, haha. The reason I quit using it is that it makes my armpits itchy and sometimes I'd get little bumps like razor burn, even if I hadn't just bathed or shaved. And I also don't care for the smell of this the next day. Kind of a plastic-y, musky smell. Whatever, it's weird. So I tried the Degree Clinical. Much better performance and scents.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2008 10:22:00 PM More reviews by dispassionate

i absolutely LOVE this. I don't normally sweat anywhere except for my underarms, which is really gross. I used to be afraid of lifting my arms because I would have gross wet stains, but my friend recommended this and after a couple of days it worked beautifully. It does make my underarms red and itchy sometimes, but you have to be sure to put on just a little and NEVER put it on right after shaving. Wait a couple of days after you shave to use it. Definitely a lifesaver and a necessity.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2008 11:03:00 AM More reviews by forksfinest

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

After trying EVERYTHING out there and still sweating standing still, I tried this and it is AWESOME! I no longer have to worry about what color shirt I am wearing and pit stains, gross!! Absolutely buy buy buy!!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2008 6:17:00 PM More reviews by SlowRnB

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been buying Certain Dri for around 4 years now. Ok, yes, it will sting and itch if you apply too much...but hey, for completely getting rid of sweat, it's a small price to pay. This is coming from a girl who at 14 could sweat through a thick sweater while sitting down doing completely nothing. Yeah, nasty, but it just shows you how good this stuff works. I used to not wear thin t-shirts and avoid certain colors because I sweat so much. It was so embarassing. I wouldn't raise my hand in class (hello pit stain) and it was hurting my confidence. I saw this on tv and ran out to buy it. I'm so glad I did. I apply it about a **half hour** after my shower. I find it doesn't sting this way because my underarm skin has a little time to toughen up right after I shaved it. Also, I use it about 3x a week. Not every night. In the mornings, I use a plain' ole Secret Deo. I do not sweat even through thin tanktops in 90 degree heat now. I love this stuff. I will always repurchase.