December 19, 2014 | 1634 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 12/27/2007 5:35:00 PM More reviews by agdeierl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

The packaging was definitely too cheap. The color matched beautifully, and I am pleased to finally see a makeup company that caters to the tons and tons of different shades of skin that everyone has. Too bad the texture and wear didn't measure up to the fantastic color selection. Upon applying Alima, I was delighted! Like I said, the color matched perfectly, and the coverage was very nice (better than BE, which not only turned orange on me, but couldn't cover a pimple/under-eye circle on my face to save its life). However, hours later, I noticed that the foundation had sort of slid off my pimples and gotten flaky/patchy right on the borders of it. It was nasty-looking. I never use primer, although I do own some. I'm not sure if it would fix this problem. I would appreciate anyone's feedback on this. Also, on the second or third day of test-driving this stuff, when I applied it to my under-eye circles, it immediately went on flaky and patchy, which it hadn't done the first time. It looked horrible! I moisturized the area, thinking it was just my skin. I reapplied it later, after it was moisturized, and it still did the same thing! I'm definitely not repurchasing. This ultimately made the bad parts of my skin look worse.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/23/2007 10:39:00 PM More reviews by alien21xx

I purchased some samples and got the right colors for my skintone, but I have several problems with this mineral foundation:
First, the coverage is not as even as my liquid/cream foundations. I had some noticeable patches of powder left in some parts of my face that didn't blend into the rest of the color of my face. It also wasn't matte or pigmented enough to lighten my under-eyes to be the same shade as the rest of my face. Lastly, I got little bumps around my nose after using this for a week, which was really too bad. I was quite happy with the satin finish and the fact that I'd gotten the color right. But because of the bumps, I won't be purchasing this again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2007 7:56:00 PM More reviews by ihatespots

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I purchased a bunch of foundation samples and found that the colour swatches on the website to be A LOT lighter compared to the real thing so I had about 8 wrong shades. Before using this, I used Everyday Minerals which I love, but cos I wanted to try this due to excellent reviews here and on anotehr board, I went ahead of got a few samples, which were so cheap ($1.50)! I found that the Olive 1.5 to be the closest match to my skin, although its a tad olive and dark for my cheeks and china area (it matches my forehead as that area is darker). But cos I only apply a little foundation, just to even out my skintone, I went ahead and ordered the full sized jar and anotehr lighter shade sample (Warm 2, which the Alima CS recommended) and a bunch of eyeshadows, blushes and 5-6 brushes to get the free international shipping!
I have acneic combo skin and this hasnt aggravated my acne at all.
Compared with Everyday Minerals, I have that they are both the same and I will continue to order from both companies dependent on which has a promo code or free gifts at the time I need to order.
I took off one lippie cos I have to order 150$ plus, to get free int shipping and the colour swatches isnt that true.
UPDATE 22-1-08...I think I have to say that I prefer Everyday minerals than Alima, as the foundation seems to be too matte and powdery, and even sometimes making my flakies more visible. Also, although the shade O1.5 and W2 seem to match ok, its still a bit too yellow and just sometimes ORANGE on my face. So took another lippie off aswell. I'm going to continue purcahsing from Alima, mainly for their blush, finishing powder and eye shadow samples but def not for the foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2007 4:34:00 PM More reviews by Nae39

I have been a MAC girl for years and used just about all their foundations but got tired of their staying power(liquids), color change(studio tech) and powdered paleness(studio fix). A friend of mine - who is allergic to MAC tried BE and loved-I tried it and it stung and itched my skin when I started to get hot and sweaty-AHHH the dreaded Bismuth Oxychloride. I tried Philosophy airbrushed canvas and the color selection was poor-plus it had the Bismuth again. I started searching on the internet for true Mineral Makeup - w/o the Bismuth and other unnecessary junk. Finally rounded it down to Alima- mostly due to a whooping 42 shade foundation choice -MAC watch out! I tried the samples after e-mailing the makeup artist with the facts: NC 40-42 skin tone in MAC and Medium Tan in BE. She made some suggestions and I found my match Beige 6. She also sends generous samples-love the Nutmeg illuminating blush! I will still stick with my MAC blot powder and MAC color products(eyeshadow,lipstick,and lip liner,gel liner)but I bought full sizes of the foundation and Nutmeg Blush. I have tried samples of their powdered eyeliner and will be purchasing it soon to round out my collection. I will also sample their bronzer to give it a shot. All in all a great foundation, excellent staying power-I use it over MAC Prep and prime.I only have to spot blot my face with my blotting powder later in the day. I already got several compliments on my face and how flawless it looked. It does not break me out or cause itchiness and it lasts! The other great thing is it can be applied dry or applied to lightly water misted skin for a more defined finish. This truly HG for me!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2007 10:45:00 PM More reviews by LolaBlue

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've been using Everyday Minerals for 4 years now. It used to be that their lightest shade of neutral foundation was a perfect colour match for me, but sometime in the year between my last order and my present one they redid their colours, and now it's much to pale for me, but their other colours are too dark. So I have been on the hunt for a new mineral foundation and seeing all the raves on the boards about this brand I thought they would be a good place to try. I purchased samples of the lightest colours in neutral, cool, and beige since they looked pretty close. I have to say that the samples are very generous and I will certainly get 4-6 applications from the sample sizes, perhaps more. the lightest shade in neutral was perfect colour match wise. The thing I really like about this foundation is that it covers very well, but it isn't heavy; I like everyday minerals, but to get this kind of coverage it looks and feels heavy & caky. So, I guess I have found my new foundation! Also I should note that everything was packaged really nicely, and shipping was super quick. ETA: after a few weeks this began to break me out, so I had to discontinue use. Too bad.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2007 2:12:00 PM More reviews by yelsel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

After being a MAC Studio Fix girl for several years and attempting to switch over to a mineral make up, I have found my HG with Alima (I've been using it for about 2 months now). I tried Everyday Minerals, Merle Norman MMU, BE, Mineral Fusion, Lumiere, and a couple others. But for some reason (I wish I knew why), Alima works perfectly on my combination skin. Doesn't itch, doesn't break me out, doesn't sink into my pores, but does give my skin that air brushed, but natural, look. I'm an NW20 in MAC and am using a combo of C2 (appx. 75%) and N2 (appx. 25%). I highly recommend giving this a try... I also LOVE the Alima flocked sponge. I use Alima's #25 foundation brush for my entire face and follow up with the sponge on places that need extra coverage. By the way - they've come out with new packaging and it's super cute!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2007 3:41:00 AM More reviews by maritesRN

HG! I've been using this for 3 months now and can relate to the wonderful reviews. Currently using w4 and this suits my NC35-37 skintone very well. Slightly too olive but that's okay. Looks airbrushed going on and lasts even with my oily/combo skin. Works so well with the #25 brush....thought EDM was my HG but this has taken over...looks so good in pics

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2007 2:15:00 AM More reviews by triniloveyxx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I havent bought any full jars yet, but I've been trying to find the perfect match for my skin color still with the samples. It looks so natural on my face and does not look cakey (make sure u dont apply alot). The concealer goes perfectly with the foundation. My skin feels comfortable with this .

UPDATE: I really wanted to stick with this make-up, but for some reason it broke me out VERY bad around my nose area, and i never break out on that area. Also, i never found a match for my skintone, their variety of shades is way too overwhelming. I discontinued use and went back to my good ole chanel teint innocence. I think I'll try Everyday Minerals in the future.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2007 4:53:00 PM More reviews by holiday11

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been playing with my Alima samples for the last three weeks. I have been a BE user for about 5 years. About once a year, I would switch to a liquid or cream foundation because I would get tired of the shine factor with BE. I truly believe I have found my foundation HG. I am still trying to determine which color is best - surprisingly, there are quite a few that work really well for me. I wore BE 1.2 (Fairly Light). I think I'll end up buying either Biege 1 or Neutral 2. Today I am wearing Cool 2, and it is too cool for my skin. Olive 0 looks good, too. So obviously, I have a color decision to make, but the texture and finish are unbelievable.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/5/2007 4:06:00 PM More reviews by shoeho

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is the first MMU I've ever worn. The ladies on the MU board turned me on to it when I was trying to find something that would stay put during our horrible summer humidity.

It's pretty good at staying on. I have dry, sensitive skin. As long as I use a lot of moisturizer, I can wear this w/o any flaking or patching.

Sweating it off is still a bit of a problem, but I don't think there is any MU that would stay on in 99% humidity.