April 17, 2014 | 2008 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear (old formula)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2012 8:40:00 PM More reviews by LadyxBec

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

In summary - when used correctly this is amazing, a little pricey but worth it.

The GOOD: I have extremely oily skin and this actually keeps it from getting nearly as greasy. When I do get oil, it comes through the DW and can be easily blotted off, leaving my foundation perfectly in place and making powder unnecessary. It lasts as long as it claims - at the end of a 15 hour day all I have is a little fading, not patchyness or anything. It dries completely in about 5 minutes, leaving your skin feeling like there is nothing there. For daily wear, I use it on it's own - no primer or powder and get a solid 12-15 hours wear. It does not break me out when removed fully.

The BAD: I hate the packaging, it is wasteful and useless. A pump would help, but a plastic tube like DW light would be best. If I do not remove it fully it does give me breakouts - I recomend a makeup remover containing oil followed by cleanser.

Overall I would re-buy, this is by far the best foundation I have ever used (and I have tried a lot - 30+). I just really dislike the packaging!
I would give it 4.5 for packaging and price, but there is no option so I rounded up :)
EDIT: Please read my review on the new formula (listed under double wear 2012 new formula) - it is not nearly as good an no longer HG :(

rated 4 of 5 on 11/24/2012 6:28:00 AM More reviews by alleycats3003

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

The packaging is so extremely gorgeous. Wish it had a pump though. Very heavy coverage, without feeling too heavy and cakey. Literally does not budge - lasts on my skin for more than 12h and does not transfer at all, which is amazing considering how oily my skin gets and how humid it is here.The only problem is that I think I got the wrong shade so I pretty much can't use this as a foundation. In order to not waste the product, I use it as a concealer on very dark marks/acne. Be careful to use a good makeup remover with this.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2012 7:00:00 PM More reviews by justpoppedup1

I usually write, full whole hearted reviews but I'm a little sleepy... I only checked to see if this foundation was still donning out the rest on makeupalley, as it should be. It is by far the best foundation ever.. too heavy for day time, you look a bit too made up. I can't really explain, you just look so perfect. Even if you've been out like 9 days in a row. I had to stop using this for a while, though. I think someone mentioned it bellow; you start looking so nice you get a bit scared of people not seeing you look so nice. It's honestly addictive. I use it for special occasions now. The amount of compliments you receive is a bit astonishing... Cannot be taken to heart though as I am clearly not as fit as the foundation makes me. Doesn't break me out, but I'm on antibiotics and skin creams for acne so not much will. Finally, the more I used it the more I realised the staying power isn't that excellent, though still probably one of/the best out there. I have oily skin and I've yet to find anything that looks 'as perfect at 10pm as when I put on in the morning!!' to quote luckier women in more enthusiastic reviews. Anyway, buy it if you have the cash. It is amazing.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2012 2:29:00 AM More reviews by Ladymgirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am thrilled with this product. I first bought it a in the beginning of the year after reading rave reviews here. At first I wasn't really applying it quite right. Well i was applying it heavily and I was happy with it but wishing it was a little lighter in texture. After watching some application tutorials for this make up on Youtube, I found the perfect application technique. First, Kiss my face sunscreen, then a light coat of name brand Milk of Magnesia(yes it does make a difference, the generic one is different).....then, I use the small stippling brush MAC 130 and apply it in small clockwise and counter clock wise circle pattern using just a small amount of product. I then set it with the Merle Norman Luxiva ultra powder foundation dry for a flawless, large pore hiding, smooth finish. And trust!! I have acne scars, large pores, beginning of wrinkles etc. and this is the best finish I have ever achieved and I have tried so many foundations. From Chanel, la Mer, Make up Forever, urban decay minerals, mac studio fix, smashbox halo......

rated 4 of 5 on 11/17/2012 4:16:00 PM More reviews by SarinaT

So whilst I was in the search for the 'ultimate' foundation I was recommended this. At first I liked the coverage but it looked a bit cakey on my skin and clung to my dry patches by the end of the day (just to add) I was applying it with a Mac 190 brush. I then tried it with a Mac 107 Duo fibre brush and it made a huge difference for me I absolutely could not live with out it, I start at the bottom of my cheek and work my way around the face constantly blending as it dries fairly quickly but its not a problem, I definitely wouldn't recommend dotting it on your face and then blending if you work your way round it sits beautifully. I then spray Urban Decays "Dew Me" moisturising makeup setting spray (just a little and then use the same brush just to massage it in to my foundation) to ensure i get that dewy finish. I now cant live without this foundation.

I just wish it came in a pump so i dont feel like im wasting the foundation, but even though its in a glass bottle i carry it around with me and it hasn't broken on me yet (fingers crossed). I know it can be a bit pricy but i only use a bit (on a daily basis) and it has lasted me about 3 months.

I have normal/dry skin and my shade is Tawny

EDIT - So I've had to reduce the rating slightly because i feel that this foundation has began to dry me out and oxidises horribly, saying this i have recently changed my face routine so if this is the cause of the dryness I will edit this review. In terms of colour i have left tawny (3W1) and made the large leap to Desert Beige (2N1) which is perfect. I suggest when buying this foundation to go a shade lighter because once it settles i find it does oxidise and and once you've added your blush/bronzer, contoured etc your face does appear even darker so the lighter shade in a sense balances it out. I still really do like the foundation it still gives me beautiful coverage but i think its really important to find the best way to prep your skin and trial and error with the colours.

FYI im nc25/nw25 in Mac, im quite fair with slightly more yellow undertones, dark circles and redness on my nose and cheeks (i know this does not sound pretty but this foundation does cover this and evens out my skin tone which is most important to me)

rated 1 of 5 on 11/15/2012 3:49:00 AM More reviews by turnbr08

I purchased this product because of all the great reviews it has recieved so many people say they love this foundation! ugh I dislike it so much - yes it makes your face the same colour and stays on all day - but it does not give a flawless look to the face. It clings to any dry patches (even though I don't really have any dry patches) and also does not sit nicely on top of pores - it almost sits around them or something weird- It doesn't make your skin look smooth and flawless and even though it is "full coverage" I get a more flawless finish from my BB cream. Maybe my skin is not oily enough to use this product but I definately don't have dry skin it is more oily/combination.

My skin also looks so dull the next day after using this foundation I almost look grey. I will not be repurchasing this again.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/14/2012 3:25:00 PM More reviews by Tracey273

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have tried many foundations and just cannot seem to find the 'right' one, until this one. I was skeptical as reviews have been good and bad. This is perfect for me. I love the coverage and color is a good match. I put on with a foundation brush and this goes on light and smooth. Yes, you have to work fairly quickly but this is no problem. The only negative I would have is the packaging. As others have stated, a pump would be so much better. I have been using for a couple of weeks now and will definitely repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/13/2012 8:57:00 AM More reviews by Amie1990

This foundation didn't work for me. It felt like a mask, was really tight and uncomfortable. Disappointed as it has such good reviews and wanted it to be good :( maybe it's just not for my dry skin.. and maybe suits more oily skins. I would recommend getting a free sample before you buy.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2012 8:13:00 PM More reviews by sapiosexual

I love this foundation. It's a full coverage liquid that seems to be a favorite of oily skinned ladies, but I find it performs well on my dry skin as well. The coverage is touted on the Estee Lauder website as medium and build able, but I find it to be full. It doesn't transfer when buffed in correctly, doesn't emphasize my pores, and doesn't seem to oxidize throughout the day. The packaging is standard and mildly irritating, with no pump, but I can live with that. It's a bit heavy during the summer time, but wears well and comfortably if I sheer it out. I love this foundation for formal events because it gives me that flawless finish. I've repurchased it twice in my lifetime, I do believe I'll repurchase it again and again in the foreseeable future.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2012 9:08:00 AM More reviews by UrrUrr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wanted to try this for years but somehow got distracted by other foundations along the way. Also, I was put off by the packaging (no pump). Finally I saw this at Sephora during the 20% discount and decided to get it. My shade is Bone (I'm NC15). Bone is slightly too yellow for me but it is still wearable. I have tested this with a paddle foundation brush, a flat top kabuki brush and of course my fingers. It dries rather quickly and I feel that a paddle brush is best because it can sort of fit into the bottle opening so that I need not pour any onto my hand. LESS IS MORE for this! The foundation becomes too thick and unspreadable if too much is used. ****Silicon-based primers (e.g. Smashbox) or mattifier can't be used under or over this foundation - it will look superbly ugly and cake up instantly.**** If you really must use a primer with silicon, skip this! --- which is why I deducted 1 star. I don't use primer when using Double Wear and it holds up fine. The only primer that I have which will work with this is my Cle de peau primer - it isn't "silicony". My skin is reasonably well-hydrated; I have no dry spots but I still see the foundation looking patchy on my nose area when freshly applied...I do not know why..? However it will settle down approximately 1 hour later. Hence this foundation is not suitable for dry skins. Coverage is medium-full and though this foundation is not contact proof (if you rub your face with tissue it will transfer) but it DOES last the entire day and still looks great after 12 hours - not oily nor does it oxidise to a darker shade. I don't regret trying this and will probably repurchase it. Please make a pump for it, Estee Lauder! (I know MAC has a pump but I will have to ebay for it D:)

EDIT: Revised my rating from 4 to 3.......the foundation gets patchy on me after about 5 -6 hours and I don't really like it. It's not oily patches or patches because it was sliding off but more like the foundation "bunched up" on my face or something. And yup this foundation is awesomely long lasting but I just do not like to see those patches. I want a smooth finish. Maybe my skin is not oily enough to take this foundation *sigh*