December 22, 2014 | 1872 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear [old formula - REFORMULATED]

REFORUMULATED 2012 Please see http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=159975/Double-Wear-Stay-in-place-Makeup/Estee-Lauder/Liquid for the current formulation of this product

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2012 2:53:00 PM More reviews by OfficialMS

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My mom use this foundation since 3/4 years.. I run out of my foundation so I was sneaky using her foundation haha. The only bummer is that it doesn't have a pump.. It's very a very covering foundation, sometimes too heavy but you must like it actually.
The best foundation for full coverage and the best of all after using this you don't have to use any concealer because of the great coverage this foundation gives you!

Highly recommend, I would buy this over and over again.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/20/2012 1:54:00 PM More reviews by salwajaffer

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm only 17 and I have the worst acne ever, including active breakouts, horrible breakouts and holes. So for the past few years I've been looking for my HG foundation and a few months ago I took this into consideration little did I know that it would be the worst decision ever.
The first time I went to the counter, the lady matched to Tawny so I went home with a sample and used it for 2 days and it broke me out a bit but I didn't think it was the foundation because I had seen so many great reviews on this. But I discovered that it was too light for me so I went back to another counter and asked for a shade darker and they gave me Shell Beige.
I used Shell Beige for a week and it completely ripped my skin apart and the weird part is I don't even have sensitive skin. My skin was so horrible, I would cry. It didn't even last as long as it said it would.
It was so heavy yet it would barely cover anything and it would look so white.
I really do not understand why this foundation has so many great reviews. I've almost tried every single drugstore foundation and quite a few of high end foundations, yet this is the WORST.
Also, I have never written a review before but I just wanted to put this out there.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2012 4:46:00 PM More reviews by jinglingjambo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Love this foundation.
I was dubious about buying my first heavy coverage foundation but my skin needs this amount of coverage to look good! I was worried about the 'mask' feeling of a heavy foundation but it doesn't make my skin feel clogged. It creates a matte and blemish-free finish. I use a powder to hold it in place and contour with blusher/bronzer.

I can't see myself finding another foundation that does as much as this. Even with the full-on coverage, it doesn't cause break-outs/exacerbate current blemishes. It also glides on with no patches, it blends in and creates a flawless finish. My HG foundation... finally!

My ONE hang-up about this product is that it could really do with coming with a pump distributor.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/15/2012 3:10:00 PM More reviews by jessitanner

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was looking for an alternative foundation to my MUFE HD. I have a very fair skin tone and find that some of my favorite brands (Dior, Guerlain, & Chanel) do not carry foundations that match my skintone. Which is how I ended up with my MUFE HD - it offers a lot of color options. While MUFE HD does the job of a foundation well, I wouldn't label it my HG foundation, which is why I'm always on the lookout for different ones.

The EL Double Wear:
Pros
- Lasts a long time
- Color matches my very fair skintone (I'm the color "shell")

Cons
- VERY DRYING!!!!! That was and is my biggest concern and dislike when it comes to this foundation. I have very sensitive and somewhat dry skin and this foundation irritates it by the end of the day.
- I also found that it did not blend as easily as my MUFE HD. As a result, it can be cakey sometimes if you do not blend it enough and well. In my experience, it required more blending than the MUFE HD.

Verdict: Does not work well for my sensitive skin because it's too drying. Will NOT repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2012 4:23:00 PM More reviews by Ronnie_Aran

I got this in wheat. Very blendable, but dries kinda quick. The coverage is sheer to medium, you can layer it to achieve the look you want. The finish is natural matte, not dead matte. This has the best staying power. I wear it in heat, sun, horrible climate and under sweat, extreme conditions, after 4 hours, no shine, nothing, that was amazing. Even you don´t need retouch, or only a little bit of powder, but not redone all makeup. No breakouts and it lasts. Could show dry patches, so be sure to moisturize well.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/14/2012 4:11:00 PM More reviews by greylove31

****Another update! I'm re-purchasing DW. I had the wrong shade before - Pale Almond, which was too pinky toned. I've been matched to Sand now and using a sample of that, and it is much better for my pale olive skin. It is hard to find just the right shade with this foundation.

Also I find mixing a small amount of EL Idealist Illuminting serum with the foundation gives the more natural, 'glowy' appearance I was looking for, then I build on the areas I need it with straight DW.

Still not quite the Holy Grail, but the one I keep going back to!****

***I've edited this review and given an extra lipstick; after all, Double Wear has served me well for many years. I also tried the more careful application method - using less product and blending well with a brush - and this did make it look better. Not sure how I got away with 'slap and go' when younger, but now seem to need to spend more time on it!***

This is my first review! I'm a veteran of Estee Lauder Double Wear, been using this make up for about 15 years - so yes, in the past, I would have given this 4 stars and said I would buy it again (and again..), but something has either changed with my skin, or with this make up.

Before I went on Roaccutane, I had oily skin and Double Wear was great - stayed put, didn't go oily or greasy looking and covered acne well. So that's why I used this make up for so long.

However, since my course of Accutane, I don't have really oily skin any more and no acne (still got scars and large pores though). Now I find Double Wear cakey and dry-looking, especially on my cheeks and not natural looking at all.

OTOH, could it be that Estee Lauder have altered the formula somehow without telling us? I just don't remember it being so dry and flat looking before, it's major selling point was that it covered well, whilst still looking natural.

Anyway, for oily skin, this is a really good choice, but for older, drier complexions, well it doesn't seem to work for me any more.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2012 12:39:00 PM More reviews by tansyface

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using doublewear foundation for over 5 years I use the shade 6C1 Rich Cocoa.

I loved this foundation. Yes, it needs quite abit of blending but once its on, its more than worth it. An airbrushed finish. I begin with a primer and a light oil free moisturiser then use a flat top stipple brush to blend. It needs patience as you must let it have 5 minutes to dry before setting with a powder. This foundation can last for more than a day plus with minimal touch ups. I would've highly recommended.

BUT I have noticed a change in the formulation of doublewear. I even had to return a bottle I bought because they had changed Rich Cocoa to New Rich Cocoa which, although I was told was my colour, is not. I was horrified so I have stocked up on a few bottles of the original Rich Cocoa. I am really not impressed with the reformulation, it's colouring is off, it needs constant retouching in the day and its patchy in a few hours. Bad move Lauder because you ruined a beautiful thing.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/11/2012 1:33:00 AM More reviews by producthoarder

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

I had to try the famous Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation after reading and hearing all the rave reviews. This product, in my opinion, pretty much sucks. It is way to high maintenance for me. DONT BOTHER IF:
You have dry skin whatsoever. That meaning dry skin, combination/dry skin, dry areas etc. Even using moisturizer right before applying, this product clings to dryness and looks caked.

If you don't have an hour to use a sponge/brush etc to apply it. I'm a mother of a 21 month old and barely have 10 minutes to use TM.

What I can say is that I was impressed with the color selection available -- wide selection of yellow-based, which isn't always easy to find. Also I had no problems removing the product with my normal facial cleanser.

Would not recommend or repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/10/2012 8:05:00 PM More reviews by MaddyKate93

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I read so many amazing reviews on this product so I could not wait to buy it!!
I went and got color matched to Ecru, which in the lighting seemed o.k, but I was just trusting the lady's opinion.
I wore this the next day to work.
Firstly, consistency: It's quite thick, and very pigmented.
Formula: It's a high-medium coverage, with quite a heavy powder base, hence the 'matte' appearance. Due to the thick powdery consistency it dries really fast, so it can look patchy if you don't work with it quickly.
Color: There aren't too many shades, and if you are pale like me and live in Australia, you have the choice between 2 shades! Ecru, a yellow based shade, or bone, at least a shade darker, and pink.
Ecru was too dark and yellow for my pale slightly pink complexion.
I felt like I had jaundice lol! So shade selection is poor.
Wear: This is definitely the products best feature. It wears for a very long time. I even wore it for 20 hours and it still covered everything.
That said, it felt sooo heavy. Sticky even. AND even with my reasonably nondescript pores, they were emphasized :(
And it seemed to separate with oil.
Removal: not easy lol. I had to use a makeup wipe, makeup remover oil, then cleanse my face. I then toned with a cotton pad and there was still makeup on the pad!

Overall, I ended up returning this, from wearing it twice, because I don't have the time in the morning to work with this stuff. There are MUCH better products out there.
I will say, if you have the time and patience to blend it, it does look nice, and photograph well. The coverage is great and if you can find your shade you will probably like it alot more than me!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2012 6:21:00 PM More reviews by Alfordalice

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have spent a lot of time and dollars looking for that perfect foundation.
I have dry sensitive skin that is very fair with slight yellow undertones.

Double wear is fantastic. The color match was perfect and the coverage and staying power of it is amazing. I use the smallest drop of it and mix it with advanced night repair serum or with idealist even skin tone illuminate serum to make the foundation glide over my skin with good coverage and good skin care benefits! I make my own version of a bb cream! Lol.

I had tried Chanel. Dior, Mac, Lancôme, Laura mercier, bourgeouis, make up forever, shieseido, and none of them came even close to being as good as the Estée Lauder double wear.

Go get a sample.

Note... If you use too much then yes you'll have a cakey looking face. Try a stippling brush or fingers to apply. And use a small amount!