Chanel Vitalumiere

water, ethylhexyl palmitate, neopentyl glycol diethylhexanoate, cyclomethicone, talc, caprylic/capric triglyceride, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, HDI/trimethylol hexyllactone crosspolymer, propylene glycol, PEG-30 dipolyhydroxystearate, glycerin, butylene glycol, phenoxyethanol, fragrance, methylparaben, disteardimmonium hectorite, disodium stearoyl glutamate, polyglyceryl-3 beeswax, propylparaben, tocopherol, lecithin, ascorbyl palmitate, glyceryl stearate, alcohol denat., walnut seed, silica, laminaria digitata extract, glyceryl oleate, sodium hyaluronate, aluminum hydroxide, citric acid, sodium metabisulfate, BHT, licorice extract, butylparaben, ethylparaben, isobutylparaben.

on 11/25/2009 8:43:00 PM

I am the target consumer for this foundation, but after extensively sampling it I am left with the conclusion that Chanel has not hit the bullseye.

Vitalumiere foundation is intended to leave a dewy, moist finish, and on this point it delivers. It has a sheer (but somewhat buildable) coverage that was its first drawback: It did not cover minor skin imperfections (slight discoloration, uneveness of tone). I built up two layers of it and had to use more concealer than I normally would.

My second gripe was the sticky/tacky finish. I really felt as if I were wearing foundation--or something--on my face. My face looked damp/dewy and yet felt adhesive. My forehead felt both adhesive and greasy.

The third issue was lasting power. I had some suspicion that Vitalumiere had worn off after a couple of hours and I proved myself right by "washing" my face with water and a light-colored washcloth.
There was not a trace of foundation on the washcloth. Nor was there a trace of my blush, which had slipped off hours earlier.

I need to point out that I was using a primer that usually performs brilliantly for me. I was surprised at the fragility of Vitalumiere and suspect it would perform best on someone with extremely dry skin, on whom other foundations cake. It was a disappointment on me and hardly worth the money when a far cheaper foundation is doing the job without harming the wallet.

Not for me, and the stickiness alone was enough to make me avoid this product. The color matched well and I do like Chanel shadows and blushes, but this experience would not lead me to seek out other Chanel foundation solutions. continued >>

on 11/22/2009 11:58:00 AM

Well I'll start off with the positives:
1) The coverage was perfect for me, not too heavy and it left me glowing
2) The packaging was good, although it was a little tricky to see how much was left in the bottle
3) I love the smell! It reminds me of being a little girl and playing around with my mum's make-up bag!

1) The price: I know it's Chanel but really I think they're ripping it a bit. This foundation went up in price about £8 in the year that I used it, I wouldn't say that this product is any better than similar ones by MAC or Bobbi Brown yet by the time I stopped using it it cost quite a bit more, sort it out Chanel!
2) Colour range, basically just rubbish!

Overall, not a bad product but like I said MAC and BB have similar at a cheaper price and more shades to choose from.

on 11/15/2009 7:01:00 AM

I really like the subtle glow this foundation gives my skin while providing good coverage. My color is 0.8 Gentle Ivory. It's not really all that light. I find Chanel foundations don't go as light as other brands. I'm not crazy about the scent but I like the way it looks and feels. And it lasts all day without changing.

I have clear normal to dry skin and have been wearing this for 1 year.

The colour range is good so there was no problem finding a perfect match for my yellow undertoned skin.

It provides a light to medium coverage and dewy finish and leaves my skin with an even and radiant complexion.

The formula can be built up and is best applied with a foundation brush or sponge.

Unlike the Revlon Colorstay foundations, it is easy to wash off with make up remover and cleanser.

I like the packaging as it has a hygienic pump dispenser which prevents you from applying too much product.

I will not repurchase this again for the following reasons:
* expensive
* it broke me out (given I’ve hardly ever broken out in my life)
* not hydrating enough, only slightly moisturising
* feels sticky on the skin.
* not long lasting and has the tendency to slide off or disappear a few hours after application
* it won’t cover dark scars or spots and dark under eye circles so a concealer will definitely need to be purchased.

I would recommend this to those with normal skin that’s reasonably clear.

on 11/14/2009 9:47:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I love this foundation. I bought it in Limpide-Nude intensity 0.5, which is quite light. I've used NARS Balanced Foundation in Deauville in the past, and I find that these two shades are a very close match, and they both perfectly match my skin. I can use this foundation in the summer and winter. I have dry-ish skin, and this is has a lovely dewy finish (which I am a big fan of). The colour stays true. This product doesn't dry out over the day, and my skin always feels good with it on. The coverage is sheer/medium... I use it to even out my skin tone in places. It blends beautifully. I highly recommend this foundation, and I will definitely re-purchase.

Also, the packaging leaves nothing to be desired, it's perfect.

on 11/14/2009 12:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I received a sample of this the other day. This is possibly the worst foundation I've tried. I just hate it. It feels like plastic on my skin, like my skin can't breathe underneath it, despite the fact that I only applied a thin layer with a sponge. The lightest color, Limpide I believe, turned orange in a matter of minutes. It was sticky and shiny and didn't cover anything. I stuck it out for 20 minutes, then I just had to wash it off. I remember trying the creamy version in the pot a few years ago and I hated that one too.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is a lovely foundation if it's the right one for your skin type, which for me, it is. It's a lovely dewy foundation, light as feather however for me, the colours are horrendous, very dark and very orange. That said, I have been mixing it with my favourite cream foundation (Givenchy in Exact Dragee) which has gotten too light because we're hitting up summer in Aus and I've been outside for upwards of 4 hours a day. Anyway, been squirting a bit in a an empty pot and squashing it around with my foundation which in my opinion has made an hybrid foundation, so sheer but covering my spots and with a dusting of powder, staying put for 12 hours through high heat and humidity. Will continue to buy this to play with but will only give 4 stars because I would be even happier if they went a hell of a lot paler.

on 10/30/2009 2:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This product is very good - gives a great finish, smoothes skin quite good over mild scarring, best for drier types or could get a bit of an oil slick. It gives great colour and medium coverage. I find im getting a few spots and i think the foundation may be responsible so it's going to be a no no for every daywear (even though i'm still wearing it as it makes your skin gorge!) Otherwise it's fantastic for special occasions.

on 10/4/2009 5:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

In my opinion Chanel has the best foundation in the market end of story.This one I think it's not only chanel's best formulations but also one of the best foundations in the world!I believe the key to find the perfect foundation is to know what you are looking for.So if you have oily or very oily skin,if your skin is acne prone,if you have major "concerns" on your skin that need heavy coverage,if you like matte finish foundations,if you are looking for a water resistant foundation that stays on all day and all night then this foundation ISN'T FOR YOU.This is a beautiful foundation for dryer skins,with satin finish that moisturizes the skin,it's not its job to control oil production,or to be a super matte,opaque foundation.It's job is to moisturize the dry skin,not to set into fine lines and wrinkles and to give to the dry skin a luminous finish.And believe it does the job PERFECT.The color selection is excellent,The packaging so elegant and classy,the texture is like liquid silk,blends more that just easy and gives the most beautiful healthy,glowing finish.Looks very natural and wears very comfortable all day long.The coverage is very buildable you can use just one layer and you will have a very sheer,seamless coverage or you can try a second or even a third layer and you will enjoy full coverage.Plus with this foundation you really have to try extremely hard to look cakey or like you wearing a mask.Gives a wonderful moisturizing finish without any shimmer in it like other foundations.The staying power is very good only if your skin is on the dry side if you have oily skin this will slip off write away.The think that I enjoy the most with this foundation is the fact that I really feel like I m using a skin care product and not just a foundation.Even after I wash my make up off I feels my skin very relaxed and moisturized.I m using this for about 4 years and I never had any kind of problems with it.Never breaks me out,never irritates my skin,never clogs my pores.It blends and looks perfect either I use just my fingers,either I use a sponge,or either I use a foundation brush If you have normal to dry skin this is I think the best option for you I have nothing negative to say about this foundation two thumbs up for chanel

on 9/12/2009 1:20:00 AM

I am on a foundation kick again, and prefer a dewy/ glowy look. I have normal/ dry skin, and upon reading the reviews Vitalumiere seemed like what I was looking for. I purchased a bottle in Beige 40 Intensity 2.0 ( MAC NC 30, EL DW Ivory Beige, MUFE F&B 32). First off, the packaging was good as it has a pump, the price was crazy as it costs $54, then again it's Chanel right? The texture of this foundation is a bit runny which was fine as I used my MAC 109 brush to stipple this stuff on. I have redness around the nose and this did cover it up. I would say this foundation is a med coverage, and buildable. Blending was easy, but I felt this foundation has "slip" to it. This concerned me as usually the wear for a foundation with slip is zero! I was right, as even though I used a primer and set w/ powder, if I rubbed my nose I could see the foundation came off where I rubbed. I was so disappointed as I also like my foundation to be long wearing. After I looked this foundation up on the Chanel site, I noticed it is an oil based foundation...a BIG no-no for me. Even though I do not break out easily, this foundation gave me a cystic zit on my left cheek. I really hoped this would have worked out for me, but honestly my MUFE Face and Body gives me the same glowy look while lasting all day ( waterproof) as well as no zits. So, happily I returned it and purchased my lemming of Chanel's Fandago blush ( which is awesome), and I will not purchase Vitalumiere again.

Video Reviews & Tutorials