October 21, 2014 | 2040 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Olay - Professional Pro-X Advanced Cleansing System

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2011 5:52:00 PM More reviews by teashadlynch

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this will buy this again! It makes your face feel smooth and clean must try.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/6/2011 8:36:00 PM More reviews by Kiana16

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a great exfoliator (I call it that because I feel like that's exactly what it does). I use it every night, sometimes every other night because I don't want to be too rough with my skin. I use my tea tree body shop cleanser and use this brush with it. I have yet to try the cleanser it comes with from fear that it will make me break out. Anyway, this device is great, and your skin feels smooth after. Warning: be VERY gentle!!! I can't use this on my skin on the sides of my nose! Where I have pores. I guess that part of my face is super sensitive because I used it there a couple times and each time it made that area super red and awful! you have to be REALLY gentle, do not press down, just let the spinning do all the work, just hold it against your face and move it around. It's great for my forehead, sides of my face, nose and chin just not that specific area, since no matter how gentle I am, it just makes it red. Also I feel like my moisturizer really sinks in afterwards. It give a super clean feel which everyone wants! The only reason I wouldn't repurchase is because, well, I wouldn't repurchase this lol I would just buy new brush heads. But aside from that even if it broke, it's too expensive. I would probably just go back to my homemade exfoliator (lemon juice and sugar scrub)

rated 3 of 5 on 12/3/2011 9:58:00 PM More reviews by rosiepalms

this product is great to use in the shower. I use it with my neutrogena gel cleanser and it makes it foam up really nice. The only beef i had with it is, a wash cloth is maybe about $1 and it exfoliates WAY better!!!! SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!!!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2011 12:01:00 PM More reviews by april1976

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'm not sure why I waited....but I'm glad I own it now.

My skin is fairly normal, a random pimple depending on the week of the month, and relatively textbook combination in type. However, I struggle with the basic texture of my skin.

I purchased the Clairsonic Mia after a few facials, in which it was used. I really enjoyed the texture, tone and condition it left my skin in following the treatment.

Oddly enough, after using it for a few days, I made a trip to Target, which resulted in me heading down the skincare aisle. Fate must have intervened, because I don't buy drugstore facial products. My eyes zeroed in on the Olay cleansing brush and I spent the better half of 10 minutes perusing the box and opening it to check out the brush. "Hmm...Looks like a smaller, albeit cheaper, version of what I just paid $150 for...for less than $40!" Sold (for at least a healthy comparison). I thought, even at best, if it didn't work as well, I could keep it and use it for my work travels.

For the next week I vacillated between the two, and in the end, happily returned my Clarsonic, and had $150 in my pocket to blow at Zara.

I have now been using the Olay version for three full weeks. I use it twice daily, with my regular cleanser. The texture of my skin has improved greatly. My makeup goes on smoother and I'm thinking of cancelling my microdermabrasion appointment for next month.

Like other reviewers, the only negative I see is that it is incredibly difficult to get the bottom off to put in the batteries. In fact, it was so difficult that I actually considered returning it and not even trying it out.

The replacement heads are very inexpensive, as well. I followed another reviewer's tip and rinse the head in rubbing alcohol once a week for sanitary purposes. Additionally, this is great for my travel case.

I sort of feel badly for Clarsonic now. Okay, maybe I don't.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2011 5:45:00 AM More reviews by earthymoon

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

My skin type is VERY oily. My acne can get pretty bad if I do not keep up with a strict skin regimen.

Routine before ProX brush:
Clean & Clear foaming facial cleanser with triclosan (AM&PM)
Clean & Clear deep cleaning astringent (AM&PM)
Estee Lauder sparkling clean mattifying toner(AM)
Nuetrogena spot treatment on my t-zone (AM&PM)
Estee Lauder day wear on my undereyes and top of my cheeks (AM)
Estee Lauder clear difference oil control (AM)
Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask twice a week (3x in summer)
Target Up & Up make-up removing tollettes when I wear makeup OR when I don't have time for my full routine before bed.

Routine After Brush ProX brush:
No longer using the mask except as spot treatment on hormonal breakouts.
Use the brush 3-4x a week (in AM) with my usual cleanser.

When I first started using the brush it did irritate my skin a bit. I saw small white heads when I woke up. They were easy to remove with an extractor tool and didn't turn into fully inflamed break outs. The brush will still irritate the more sensitive areas of my face (my cheeks below my eyes) so I avoid them. The best way to use this is to just let it skim the surface as you make sweeping motions. Avoid circular motions. The brush is already circulating.
I don't have an issue with irritation anymore and my skin looks great. The size of my pores appear reduced and my blackheads (even the stubborn ones) seemed to have disappeared.
If you have medically sensitive skin (not, "I scrub my face with sandpaper, see it react and say I have sensitive skin"). This might be too harsh.
I do not like the enclosed sample of exfoliating cleanser. It did not cleanse well and was too abrasive when used with the brush. The brush alone should do the job.
The original batteries are still in my brush.
The handle is ergonomic.
The unit is small and easy to travel with. I just remove the head a put it in a plastic bag.
One of the down falls is the brush does kick up suds (if using a foaming cleanser) and it pulls little pieces of hair from my hairline onto my face. The instructions do say to avoid the hairline. However, my hair has not been tangled in the brush though.
I've bought replacement heads. I'm on my 2nd head. They seem to last awhile if you take care of them. I make sure to cleanse my head and dry it into a lean washcloth with the unit on. This helps it dry more quickly.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2011 11:49:00 PM More reviews by hags101

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a decent cleansing brush that I have been using 2x daily for the past 4 months. I really do not think it compares to the clarisonic because they use different types of "energy" where the Pro X spins and the clarisonic vibrates. The Pro X makes my skin feel even cleaner than normal...and cleans my pores a little better, but not enough to call this my HG. I use a homemade oil cleanser with emulsifier to get a deep down clean in my pores which works to keep them clear for around 3 months (when I need to extract) and was hoping this brush would keep them cleaner longer but it has not seemed to make that much of a difference in the long run. I still have persistent blackheads on my chin and find some on other areas of my skin. This brush has not done a thing for the under the skin flesh colored bumps I get or reduced breakouts. I like using this the best during the rinsing step to my oil cleanser. The two speeds are nice, although I usually just use the high (2x day) - but have used the low when my skin felt sensitive. I am sometimes left with dry patches because it can over exfoliate if used for too long (if used for just one pass over each area of my skin it feels fine). The batteries last a long time (3 months before starting to slow) and the brush should be changed monthly (becomes scratchy feeling on my sensitive skin after a month of use). The unit is also durable even if it is not totally waterproof - for some reason water got stuck inside the unit (brush end) when I used it in the shower (could hear it swishing around but would not drain out immediately -stuck inside for a couple of days) and the unit still works (now I make sure to turn away from the water when using this). On a whim and because the SkinStore was offering $50 off I ordered the DDF Revolve 400. It is exactly the same as the olay (even down to the strip of gray accenting the handle -just a little longer head) except it comes with 1 brush, 2 sponge, and full size scrub (main ingredient is baking soda just like Olay Microdermabrasion set). The DDF is regularly $98! But when you compare it to the Olay ($30 with one brush) and refills for the Olay are $10 and microdermabrasion is like $25 ... the prices come close if I were to buy the Olay scrub, unit, 3 brush heads. YES, THE DDF REFILL BRUSH AND SPONGES FIT THE OLAY UNIT PERFECTLY - tried them myself! They click right in. I like that the DDF has the sponge attachment for buffing a microdermabrasion scrub onto the skin -which is why I ordered it - but 1 week after ordering I ran across the TEI SPA UltraCleanse unit which contained a scrub, handheld device, sponge, brush, body brush, and pumice stone for $50. The TEI unit does not have two speeds like the Olay/DDF unit.... but refill face sponge, brush, stone is only $4 vs $10 or $50 (DDF pack that has scrub, brush, sponges). I may return the DDF and get the TEI SPA unit for occasional microdermabrasion with the sponge for the face and use the body attachments because it seems like a better deal (if the brush speed is adequate). (Note: the i-skin microdermabrasion crystals from Sally's Beauty Supply may give better results in the long run for microdermabrasion to use vs a baking soda scrub - great reviews here and at Sally's). For my stubborn blackheads on my T-zone that come back after 3 months (which is great because they used to come back within a week with a regular cleanser after extractions) I am trying the clarisonic mia with the deep pore brush to use every other evening. I will update how they work in a couple of months.

Update*** I like the Clarisonic Mia the best! I have not purchased the deep pore head yet (the one I need for congested pores) but the Mia makes my skin softer than the Olay Pro X (and DDF with sponge or brush attachment). The TEI Spa UltraCleanse is not good for the face because it spins too fast (2x as fast as the Olay) which makes the sponge attachment tug at the skin and the brush way too exfoliating - did not even try it on my face with the face brush because with the speed and bristles on the body brush it was really scratchy on my body (face brush felt same as body brush).

Update**** I am giving the Olay Pro X one more star because the results are similar to the Clarisonic Mia with the clarisonic's sensitive head brush. After using the clarisonic mia w/sensitive head for 3 months my skin started getting congested again (like with the Pro X). My skin did not get dull and used to the device like it did with the Pro X. I purchased the deep pore head for the MIa and have used that exclusively for almost 6 months now. This head is much gentler than the sensitive one (kinda scratchy) and keeps my pores cleaner for longer and the CLARISONIC MIA WITH DEEP PORE HEAD GOT RID OF ALL THE UNDER THE SKIN SMALL FLESH COLORED BUMPS on my skin once I worked up to using it 2x a day. I prefer the Clarisonic Mia with the deep pore head brush and admit that I never reach for the Pro X (gave to my sister) or the DDF Revolve (kept for myself but the clarisonic is doing such a good job that I have not needed it).

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/1/2011 2:59:00 PM More reviews by dragonwoman

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Unpacked after an airline trip (many hours) to find brush running. This has happened other times after putting in drawer, not sure why.

No it is not Clarisonic, but worth the price, purchased mine at SAMSCLUB.

I have dificulty removing battery cover. Actually went to the site to see WHY IT WOULD NOT OPEN. Being of above average strength and used to replacing batteries I found this very aggravating and was going to write Olay and complain, but decided against it.

Like the cleanser, but frequently use my Perricone cleanser with it.

Perhaps it is just me..

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2011 10:17:00 AM More reviews by mallomars

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I love this product because it cleans my face really good and leaves it soft and smooth. I had to get new batteries because it seemed like the batteries that came with it was used and it was sticky. I would recommend buying new batteries if the speeds seems too slow.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/26/2011 11:55:00 PM More reviews by magetha

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was not impressed with this product. I don't notice any difference in my skin and I have been using this for about a month. I haven't tried the Clarisonic yet, but if it is anything like this I will be very disappointed.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2011 3:43:00 PM More reviews by leilanader

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

OLAY PRO X BRUSH vs CLARISONIC. I recently discontinued the pill and consequently started suffering from serious acne breakouts. My derm put me topical antibiotic for night and Retin-A for day. This made things a bit better however pimples still emerged. But even before any of this happened, I had been eying the CLARISONIC for years, just couldnt justify the price especially that my skin was in perfect condition at the time. With my current skin condition, the clarisonic had to be given more serious thought...still 200$ is a lot and what if I don't like brushing my face or dont stick to it like most things. So I decided to go for the cheaper alternative and bought the OLAY PROX BRUSH. I used it once a day everyday for 2 weeks before noticing that my skin was pimple free. I couldn’t believe it, it works! Was I not cleansing my skin properly before? Anyways, I was so happy but then I had a thought…If a 30$ brush did this, what can the 200$ one do?! Off I went to Sephora and purchased the CLARISONIC MIA. I had 60days to try it and return it for a full refund, no questions asked and with so many people debating which brush is better I thought I would do an experiment. I used each brush once a day on one side of my face RELIGIOUSLY for 6 WEEKS.

The conclusion…Each brush had a different technology, the clarisonic has sonic vibrations so I had to do a rotating motion on my face while using it, the Olay brush rotates by itself so I had to just move it around in a straight movements (up, down, right, left). The MIA was bulkier to hold but I didn’t mind. I used both under the shower with no problem. Both left my skin feeling very clean, better than when I just rubbed my cleanser with my hands and both kept pimples at bay. Some people commented that the Clarisonic gives your skin better texture, so I carefully inspected each side of my face, both had reduced (a little) the size of my pores, had removed the majority of the blackheads on my nose and left my skin feeling equally soft. I did not see any difference in these two brushes in terms of efficacy. So after my little experiment was over, I returned the MIA to Sephora. I would have kept the Clarisonic had I bought the one that can be used on the body because that is an advantage over the Olay. But since this cannot be done with the MIA, I could not justify keeping it even if it felt fancier to hold and I liked that it had a charger instead of battery. I may purchase the Clarisonic that comes with a body brush in the future because I now know that electric brushes clean better than manual methods. It has now been 6 months since I started using the Olay and the battery is still going strong. Of note, I went on a trip for 10 days and forgot to bring my brush with me, and I got some pimples because of that. Which means this brush has to be used relatively daily. Not sure if the Clarisonic has longer lasting cleansing properties.

33 out of 34 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No