August 21, 2014 | 1890 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Olay - Professional Pro-X Advanced Cleansing System

rated 2 of 5 on 11/26/2011 11:55:00 PM More reviews by magetha

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was not impressed with this product. I don't notice any difference in my skin and I have been using this for about a month. I haven't tried the Clarisonic yet, but if it is anything like this I will be very disappointed.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2011 3:43:00 PM More reviews by leilanader

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

OLAY PRO X BRUSH vs CLARISONIC. I recently discontinued the pill and consequently started suffering from serious acne breakouts. My derm put me topical antibiotic for night and Retin-A for day. This made things a bit better however pimples still emerged. But even before any of this happened, I had been eying the CLARISONIC for years, just couldnt justify the price especially that my skin was in perfect condition at the time. With my current skin condition, the clarisonic had to be given more serious thought...still 200$ is a lot and what if I don't like brushing my face or dont stick to it like most things. So I decided to go for the cheaper alternative and bought the OLAY PROX BRUSH. I used it once a day everyday for 2 weeks before noticing that my skin was pimple free. I couldn’t believe it, it works! Was I not cleansing my skin properly before? Anyways, I was so happy but then I had a thought…If a 30$ brush did this, what can the 200$ one do?! Off I went to Sephora and purchased the CLARISONIC MIA. I had 60days to try it and return it for a full refund, no questions asked and with so many people debating which brush is better I thought I would do an experiment. I used each brush once a day on one side of my face RELIGIOUSLY for 6 WEEKS.

The conclusion…Each brush had a different technology, the clarisonic has sonic vibrations so I had to do a rotating motion on my face while using it, the Olay brush rotates by itself so I had to just move it around in a straight movements (up, down, right, left). The MIA was bulkier to hold but I didn’t mind. I used both under the shower with no problem. Both left my skin feeling very clean, better than when I just rubbed my cleanser with my hands and both kept pimples at bay. Some people commented that the Clarisonic gives your skin better texture, so I carefully inspected each side of my face, both had reduced (a little) the size of my pores, had removed the majority of the blackheads on my nose and left my skin feeling equally soft. I did not see any difference in these two brushes in terms of efficacy. So after my little experiment was over, I returned the MIA to Sephora. I would have kept the Clarisonic had I bought the one that can be used on the body because that is an advantage over the Olay. But since this cannot be done with the MIA, I could not justify keeping it even if it felt fancier to hold and I liked that it had a charger instead of battery. I may purchase the Clarisonic that comes with a body brush in the future because I now know that electric brushes clean better than manual methods. It has now been 6 months since I started using the Olay and the battery is still going strong. Of note, I went on a trip for 10 days and forgot to bring my brush with me, and I got some pimples because of that. Which means this brush has to be used relatively daily. Not sure if the Clarisonic has longer lasting cleansing properties.

32 out of 33 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/26/2011 1:47:00 PM More reviews by mypinkfrog6

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i have a clarisonic but i purchased this to take with me traveling. i figured i'd be less upset if this went missing on an airline or got broken than the clarisonic with it's $200 price tag.

as others have said, it was EXTREMELY difficult getting the thing open to put batteries in but other than that this is a great alternative to an otherwise expensive product.

first of all, i'm a HUGE proponent of daily exfoliating with gentle products. some people advise against it but my derm' swears by it and i have been doing it for a year and i always get compliments abt my skin.

i love the face wash that this comes with. it smells nice and is gentle. the microbeads are teeny tiny and do a great job of polishing. some stuff on the market...the grains are way too rough on the skin. i have good skin (25 y/o, combination to normal, never really had issues with breakouts even when i was a teen) but this has made it even better. after washing my skin looks different. very dewy, soft, supple, and clear. you can tell it's taken off all your dead skin...like i've had microderm without the wretched peeling. i've noticed that my face reacts better to everything now that i've been using this. my skin absorbs my moisturizer better and my makeup goes on smoother than before.

there's no brush cover for the brushhead but i just keep everything in a sandwich size ziplock.

for the price it's great. it does what it says. exfoliates and deep cleans. perfect for travel. great stocking stuffer for your girlfriends and perfect for all the recessionistas out there!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2011 11:26:00 PM More reviews by janetchan216

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been thinking and wanting one of them Clarisonic one.... but $200 out right really hurts. Then I've come across this brush, so quickly went onto MUA to check it out. Surprisingly it's about the same rating as Clarisonic. Some posters wrote they bought a Clarisonic and they didn't like it, waste of $200. So I'd rather waste $30 to test out similar results than $200.

You know what? I'm actually really happy with this brush!! If it died for some reason, I would buy it again. I cannot consider washing my face without using this once a day anymore. I wear makeup everyday and I used to think using makeup remover on cotton pad then cleanser with hands was enough.... but after I used the brush for the first time, I was astonished because my brush head turned to the color of my foundation, that's actually how much residue that's been left on my face when I wasn't using the brush!

The first week I used it, I had some break outs, but I read that this is normal as the pores is getting opened and cleaned out, so all the dirt is brought to the surface. Now that I've used it for 2 months, I can really say my face is a lot cleaner, less break outs, no more flakes, a bit more even toned, more glowy with or without makeup! My boyfriend is a performer, so he has to wear makeup for work, I convinced him to start using it too after seeing how my skin changed. Good thing is you can buy replaceable brush, 2 for Cdn$12 so less for US$, and we each have our own brush heads! I also disinfect it by swirling the brush heads in rubbing alcohol to kill bacteria once a week.

However, sometime I wish it's a tiny bit more powerful (I'm not sure it's needed, but I feel this way), but it's not a big deal! I put "2" for price, as I compare this to Clarisonic, or even a price of a jar of moisturizer, and it's well worth the $30. I'm not ready to spend $200 on a brush, and I'm not sure if I'll ever be. I mean, if you think about it $30, if you can get this product and result, why couldn't they make a Clarisonic for only double that price??? All in all, I'm really happy with the purchase, and I've also recommended to a friend, and she also really likes it.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/9/2011 9:04:00 PM More reviews by BeachBaby14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Oh, how I wanted to like this:( I waited for it for weeks and after it came i couldn't wait to try it. It exfoliated well enough, but not enough to make a real difference:/ I convinced myself it helped but sadly no. Then it broke on me! I tried to turn it on and then ten minets later it would TURN ITSELF ON! It's really creepy, I had to take the batteries out. Not going to recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2011 8:46:00 PM More reviews by Hutzle

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Like so many others, I considered the $200 Clarisonic. I just couldn't justify it as my skin looks pretty good. But when I found the Olay version at Costco ($36.00 including 2 heads and big bottle of exfoliating cleanser), I couldn't resist. So glad I bought it! After doing my normal cleansing, it's amazing how much more comes off onto the cleansing head. My skin is so soft and looks even better.
So glad I didn't waste the money on the Clarisonic and have been telling everyone to invest in the Olay version.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2011 10:55:00 AM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Lately I'm on the hunt for an electric cleansing tool & the Olay Pro-X is my 1st but I'm bound to try others in the near future to compare.

For yrs I've been using high glycolic acid + plastic loofah scrubbers (or rough-textured cloth I used to get from the nail salon) to exfoliate my thick skin regularly (every 2-3 days). Now I've been wanting something as effective as manual scrubbing but ideally more gentle.

While researching the Clarisonic, I decided to try the Olay Pro-X brush which I found @ my local drugstore. I love that it's easily accessible, super affordable ($30) compared to the Clarisonic, & it's so straightforward to use that instructions aren't even needed (they're printed on the side of the box in very small print). It comes w/batteries (2 AA Duracell, awesome) & the brush attachment is soft to the touch (fine nylon bristles).

I've looked @ Clarisonic models in Sephora & by comparison this unit is smaller, lighter, made of inexpensive but water-resistant plastic, uses rotation instead of sonic vibration (I prefer rotation), has 2 speed settings (unfortunately I call them Slow & Slower), & the bristles are not as densely packed as Clarisonic but they seem softer to the touch, not prickly.

For me it runs too sluggish - I'd like it to spin faster w/more power, but even @ its sluggish pace it really cleans my face well. Although I initially didn't feel like it was doing anything @ all since I couldn't even feel the soft bristles on my face, boy was I wrong! First time I rinsed my face, my skin was mildly irritated like I may have overscrubbed (after only 30 seconds of use). But that was only the 1st time, & my skin calmed down quickly. Now that I'm used to using this tool, washing my face is quick & feels relaxing & refreshing - I even run it softly over my closed eyes in the end - my skin afterwards feels renewed, cleaner that my previous washing method & well prepped for my skincare products to absorb better (I can feel & see the difference). Yes I still have to use glycolic acid lotion but now I look forward to my cleansing routine b/c it's been wonderfully spimplified using this tool.

I didn't expect it to make a difference in my enlarged pores but it actually has lessened their texture visibly - my skin is smoother just in the 1st wk of use. I credit this to 3 factors surrounding this tool: (1) it cleans my skin better & exfoliates gently, smoothing the surface texture, (2) allows my anti-aging products to actually work, refining or plumping my skin as they promise to, & (3) I'm more consistent in my skincare routine which leads to getting results, whereas before I got lazy at least 50% of the time so results were sporadic. With this tool I'm committed to be consistent, but I don't feel burdened. If something's annoying to use, I lose interest in using it & lose out on the benefits.

It doesn't foam up my cleanser (I use Shea Moisture Organic Coconut body wash for my face & hair) when I apply it directly to the brush, so I apply the cleanser to my wet face & then use the brush. I'm satisfied w/this brush as my 1st cleansing tool. It would be perfect if it had greater power or faster speed - that's its ONLY drawback for me. The Clarisonic seems super-powerful compared to this product, which makes me a little nervous that it might be too rough (I wouldn't want it to give me broken capillaries like a few have mentioned). I'll find out in the future......or maybe I'll try the i-Skin version from Sally's which got a lot of good reviews too ...so many choices!

UPDT 2/7/12 -
I still love this brush. It's still going strong & if it ever breaks down I'll buy another one. I've cancelled my consideration of getting a Sonicare someday - I'm not interested in that anymore. The Olay Pro-X is great.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2011 3:43:00 AM More reviews by BrownEyes01

I can't compare this to the Clarisonic because I have never used it but I hear this comparable (or at least somewhat). I use this every night when I remove my makeup. You can use it with any cleanser. I haven't used the cleanser that came with it because I am acne-prone and hesitant to use new products. My skin is definitely smoother after I use it and like to think that my subsequent products sink in better.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2011 8:49:00 PM More reviews by itstwilight

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Fantastic! I was worried about my skin, because I was experiencing breakouts for months, with no relief. I've been using this for a month and have noticed a HUGE difference in the amount of breakouts I get, and the general texture.
I haven't tried the sample cleanser; I'm currently using a Neutrogena scrub, but I plan on using it eventually. Bottom line, this is a great product for the price.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2011 2:28:00 PM More reviews by lisa1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

UPDATE! Still loving this! months and months later! My skin is basically smooth and wrinkle free and no blackheads. I use this religiously every other day! Perfection!!!!!!

Wonderful! Amazing! GREAT! No one should wash their face without this brush. It cleanses pores, exfoliates skin, gives the face a nice poreless finish! Clarisonic what? $250 for a brush? Im sorry but that's ridiculous. This brush is amazing in that it rotates unlike pulsating like Clarisonic. This brush actually scrubs your face clean and exfoliates. The brush is soft the bristles last and last. The two speeds are great. I use mine on high and it's not too much. Olay really did a good thing and i love all their products averall! I'm going to try the Total Effects night cream from Olay next. This brush is amazing though. Use it on face, throat, neck, chest, shoulders ..... anywhere you want smooth soft skin. GREAT PRODUCT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No