E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

4.2

on 7/23/2012 11:10:00 AM

It's summer and its hot. My skin, like a good amount of the ladies here, decides to pump out the oil like there's no tomorrow, leaving me with an oil slick for a face :I
I usually relied on my Maybelline Mineral Power translucent veil to set my foundation or mattify my face but i was running out. So I figured I could try something new and since the reviews for this powder were pretty good, why not?

The packaging is a square, matte plastic box with the elf logo on the lid. Inside, the powder is white and fluffy, and it looks like there's a lot of product. The main ingredient seems to be silica spheres, followed by fillers and what seems to be dimethicone.

OH also, i read that powder seems to get out through the lip between the sifter and the box. I just superglued it to avoid that and it seems to work just fine at keeping the powder in check. :)

Hmmmmm. interesting.

I gave it a test run with fit Me! foundation which is notorious for transferring (at least for me it is hehe) Using the puff in a rolling, rocking motion on my skin to press it into the foundation, I then took a flat top kabuki to wipe off the excess and work it into the skin a bit. The results were pretty great, seeing that my face looked velvety and even-toned. I did notice at first it looked a *bit* ashy and one-dimensional, but a few minutes later, it seemed to absorb some oil and settle into my face a little better, which made it look absolutely beautiful, almost porcelain-esque.

After about 6 hours, my face was starting to get oily which for me is a pretty long time between touch ups, and even then it was only a small amount of grease to blot up. So far so good.

on 7/22/2012 1:26:00 AM

Pros:
- Cheap
- Hides pores
- 3 ingredients
- Doesn't irritate my sensitive acne prone skin
- Creates a very smooth and flawless application
*one of the best setting powders i've used so far

Cons:
- Can enhance dryness if too much is used
- Not photo friendly (Turns white in flash photography)

Overall i highly recommend this product! Taking away one star because it doesnt work with dry spots very well!!

on 7/19/2012 7:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Gives a very matte finish and looks good on just my bare skin. Because of how matte it is, it can make your face look flat and one-dimensional so you have to wear blusher. I use this over MAC Select Cover Up (NC30) on my casual days and I'm good to go with a little blush, mascara and lip gloss. Good also as a touch up powder over foundation.

on 7/11/2012 6:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I Really liked this powder it gives my makeup a matte finish and has a smooth touch. Tip in order for the powder not to be messy when you first buy it open the film carefully and use some tape and tape most of the holes but leave like two lines. Clear works better but I only had brown packaging tape.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

the translucent gave me a ghost cast on flash photography, Absolutely hate it! although i must say, the powder is fairly nice and so FINE. I would LOVE it so much without that white cast

on 7/8/2012 11:37:00 PM

I def. think this powder surpasses the MUFE hd powder since I for one actually like the packaging (I know, I"m like the only one!) You really only need the tiniest bit otherwise it will cause a "ghost" face in flash photography (like most hd powders will) but when used correctly it gives a great long lasting finish. Would def repurchase if I ever run out!

on 7/8/2012 11:19:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

One of the best setting powders ever! I'm a makeup artist and have used every expensive brand out there. This powder is the one I always go back to and for $6! A must have if you like the soft porcelain matte look.

on 7/8/2012 10:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

a great way to set my powder. it almost has a softening effect to my face in how it makes my skin look so even and matte

on 7/7/2012 1:44:00 AM

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

I love this product as a setting powder as it seems to reduce look of fine lines and pores. It also gives a soft focused look when used as finishing powder. Warning: A little goes a long way and overuse could come out a bit powdery or ashy but it has never gone cakey on me.

on 7/3/2012 1:28:00 AM

1. Price: For $6.00, you get a product that rivals the most expensive ones out there and even surpasses their quality.

2. Packaging: Let's face it, no product comes without at least one flaw and the packaging is this product's only flaw. The bulky jar is not travel friendly. I just slapped some gorilla glue on each hole in the sifter with the exception of a few in order to avoid spillage. I like the look of the jar, all they should do is add a sifter with a snapping lid that closes.

3. Quality: This powder is finely milled. If you dab some between your fingers it feels sooooo soft. When applied to the skin it makes everything smoother. It is way better than MUFE HD POWDER....WAY BETTER!!!!!!!

-SIDENOTE-

Today I was at my sister's house and my 12yr old niece asked me: "What happened to the little holes in your face?" She was referring to my enlarged pores. I told her: "What about them?" And explained to her that the enlarged pores were partially caused to the toll that cancer treatments took on my skin. She then told me: "No, I mean they're not there anymore, I don't see them." Oh my God, this reinforced my love for this powder.

Video Reviews & Tutorials