CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser

3.7

Water, Glycerin, Behentrimonium Methosulfate/Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-11, Ceramide 1, Hyaluronic Acid, Cholesterol, Polyoxyl 40 Stearate, Glyceryl Monostearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 20, Potassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phytosphingosine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum

I bought this cleanser when I was almost out of Cetaphil for Normal/Oily skin for removing my makeup. I had heard good things about the hydraulonic acid that is in the formula, and since I get whiteheads I thought this would help me. I've tried it three times, each time cutting down how I use it. No, it does not remove makeup. No, I cannot wash my face with my fingertips using this for a minute without it burning,. No, I can't use it on a washcloth for general face washing in the shower. I usually use Ivory soap on my face, but I thought since I'm getting older and NOBODY uses soap on their face, that I should break away and use a facial cleanser. I never expected to be left with red splotchy patches around my nostrils and mouth! I never expected to be kind of swollen there either. It didn't do anything to the rest of my face, but this is the third time I'm using it, and the rash is spreading up the sides of my nose. I don't like it and won't recommend it to anyone else, either.

I was given samples of this cleanser by my dermatologist. I used it as they instructed and I ended up liking it. I purchased the full size after I ran out of the samples. After around a month or two, my face started to react badly to it. My face would get extremely itchy and painful whenever I cleansed with it. I'm still not quite sure to this day why it stopped working so well. I guess it just wasn't for me.

on 1/24/2012 12:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

My favorite cleanser! I have dry skin. Washing my face in wintertime really dries my skin out. My face does not feel as tight after washing with this cleanser. It has a very creamy consistency and I love the pump for hygiene. The fact that this is a drugstore cleanser is an added bonus of not having to pay a high price.

on 1/22/2012 12:51:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

For reference: I have very dry, sensitive skin that will break out in an irritation rash or tiny milia if a product does not agree with me. I tend to react to anything with alcohol or SLS.

I really wanted to like this cleanser after all the great things I've heard about it. I usually use Ren Hydra-Calm Gel Cleanser since my skin is so sensitive and have been happy with it for the most part but wanted to find a less expensive option since I go through it so quickly. Unfortunately, I didn't last 5 days with this cleanser as my skin progressively got worse each day with rash-like spotty irritation along my jawline, tiny bumps on my forehead and one very large pimple on my temple which I never get. I also see a lot of congestion on my chin (gross, under-the-skin clogged pores) underneath the corners of my mouth. To make matters worse, I feel the preliminary pain of an upcoming cystic pimple between my eyes - hello unicorn!

I do like the pump and the price cannot be beat, about $11 for 12 oz.The consistency is creamy and I only needed 4-5 pumps to ensure it covered my face entirely and messaged it in. I do wear foundation (Bourjois Healthy Mix) and did find that it did not pass the "white towel test," there was quite a bit of foundation left, even after two washes with vigorous massaging. However, I did do some reading about this prior to purchasing and knew it wasn't a great MU remover. It also had a strange "waxy" or "squeaky" feeling on my skin when washing. I did like the way my skin "felt" after using this, (very soft and moisturized) however, I did not like the way my skin "looked." It was splotchy immediately after washing and in the morning, I saw my skin noticeably deteriorate. I also noticed that my hands were extremely dry after washing which I've never had happen with any cleanser. This just didn't agree with me, which is disappointing since I thought I'd be the perfect candidate for this cleanser.

* Update: I've moved on to Estee Lauder's Verite cleanser for combo/sensitive skin and it has been a godsend.

on 1/16/2012 6:41:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

This package is not the best for traveling but if you turn the pump to the off position and tape a small paper cup over it it won't spill on a plane ride.

I've been using this for a few weeks now and I find it cleans very well and moisturizes. It doesn't suds up but it will clean your face, you just have to gently massage your face with it for a couple of minutes.

It reminds me of my discontinued Kiehl's Centella face wash with a similar look, feel, lack of smell. The great thing is although it is pretty much the same but with different packaging, it is very cheap. It's about $12 for 12 oz, while the Kiehl's cost me about $30-40 for 8oz, depending on what country I got it from.

Will buy again and again. HG.

on 1/15/2012 3:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This is a great no frills cleanser. As I am sensitive to SLS/SLES I was on the hunt for one without it. Enter Cerave Hydrating. Cleanses my skin beautifully without irritation. I cannot comment on make-up removal as I don't wear anything but mascara & lip-balm daily. Over time this has helped my skin barrier repair itself. Will never be without this in the winter.

I needed a new cleanser to go with my clarisonic mia. I like Cerave products and am using the AM lotion and moisturizing lotion, and with the good reviews of this product, I decided to give it a go. I washed my face with this at night and woke up in the morning to find many tiny pimples on my forehead. I guess its a bit too hydrating for certain parts of my face that are more oily than others. I gave it another go the next night and still more pimples. To see it if was just hormones, I washed with my olay regenerist mini-peel and the next day, the tiny pimples were gone.

I really wanted this to work. Unfortunately I will continue my search for a cleanser. However, I found this product to be a great body wash especially in these winter months.

on 1/1/2012 1:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I used to have oily, acne prone skin in my teens and 20's but now that I'm in my 30's my skin has gotten so dry yet is still acne prone. I ran out of my old cleanser (Boscia Purifying Gel) and decided I needed something more gentle and cost effective. I love Cerave's moisturizing cream and this had a lot the same great ingredients with the detergents down on the list. I use it with a Clarisonic Mia Brush and it just the amount of cleaning I need without stripping the skin.

Its true it doesn't lather and works kind of like a cleansing conditioner for the skin. This is is good thing because lathering agents are drying to the skin and hair.

on 12/29/2011 2:45:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I dont even wanna began to explain how much of a struggle it has been to find a gentle cleasner with NO harsh chemicals or fragrances in it but still keeps my acne prone sensitive skin in check. Finally i have found this CeraVe line! SOOOOO happy. I use the hydrating cleanser and the PM night creme and then use the cleanser in the morning again with the AM moisturizer! My skin has never been clearer. I dont wear face make up so i cant tell you whether it takes of face make up well but im sure it does. But when i do get a pimple or two every month they never get big and they go away within a day or two when im using this. Love love love.

on 12/25/2011 9:21:00 PM

YUCK this is basically like a less irritating Cetaphil cleanser. It is pretty much the same consistency, texture, and color, and I never felt like my skin was really clean whenever I used this because it has such a filmy quality. After a few weeks use, I found that it was even clogging up my skin and preventing breakouts from healing over, so I immediately quit use and found Purpose soap to be a better choice for my oily, acne-prone skin.