April 17, 2014 | 1834 users online

Foundations - Make Up For Ever - HD High Definition Foundation

rated 3.6(2086 reviews)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2013 7:48:00 PM More reviews by erinbrittannyy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

LOVE LOVE LOVE! I don't know where to begin. I love the texture, more on the watery side and doesn't feel cakey or thick which is perfect for summer! The color selection is awesome and I am 118 and it matches perfect, but will go darker once I get my summer dark tan. Very easy to blend, and works great with the beauty blender. The price is a little bit expensive but I say it is worth it. I do recommend this foundation for anyone with dry skin or normal. I have dry skin and it doesn't dry up or patch anywhere but leaves a perfect natural look. If you have oily it might be a little shiny. I set this with tarte translucent powder and it lasts about 6 hours without having to touch up anywhere! Definitely re-purchasing!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2013 11:03:00 PM More reviews by lawschoolnerd1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Hello, fellow MakeupAlley friends! I have used this foundation for over a year and I have decided that I am ready to contribute my opinion to this site regarding this product. Conclusion: I LOVE IT. This is the first and only foundation where I have gone through four bottles, and not only that, but intend to continue to use the product for awhile. However, let's go over the specifics to see how I arrived at that result:

MY SKIN: I have oily skin (think Clinique Type 4) that will shine through virtually every foundation or powder after a few hours. I am fairly pale (MAC NC/NW 20) and I was matched to the shade 115 Ivory, which blends very well with my skin, although some may want to consider going up to a 117. While I have few active breakouts, I need medium-full coverage to conceal acne scars remaining from my teenage years, dark spots, and uneven skin tone. My skin is fairly blackhead/clog-prone and even though some reviewers have rated this foundation poorly given its silicone base, this foundation did not aggravate my skin any worse than other foundations. I even slept in this foundation a few times by accident (terrible, terrible...I know), and it did not mess up my skin the way most foundations would. My dermatologist also told me that this is a good foundation to use. Be sure to remove this properly before bed using a good, gentle skin cleanser, and if you are like me, you should have few skin issues associated with using this product. Also, I have large pores and some peach fuzz, and I do not find that this foundation accentuates these imperfections. It can cling to drier areas, but this was minimized by exfoliation (I love the Olay Pro-X brush everyday, and the Neutrogena Deep Clean Gentle Scrub a few times a week), and using a serum (I cannot say enough good things about Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair) and moisturizer (Clinique DDMGel for my oily skin).

LONGEVITY: MUFE HD is a foundation that can last me all day, provided I set it with powder and touch up around the 4 hour mark. Chanel Mat Lumiere and MAC Studio Tech, my favorite foundations prior to MUFE HD, would melt off my forehead on warm days before the end of the day.

ROUTINE: After trial and error, I prefer to apply MUFE HD with the Sephora 56 Pro Flawless Airbrush foundation brush. This gives me fuller but still natural looking coverage. I have also tried the BeautyBlender sponge, MAC 190 regular foundation brush, MUFE HD kabuki brush sold with the MUFE HD kit, Sephora 55 Pro Airbrush, and my fingers. I prefer to set the foundation with NARS Light Reflecting Pressed Setting Powder or MAC Skin Finish Natural in Light Plus, both with the MAC 150 brush, or sometimes if I feel like putting in the effort, the MAC velour powder puff.

I really like this foundation. I seriously didn't realize it until I purchased my fifth bottle, and this is coming from someone who has tried countless foundations before and never purchased any of them more than twice. While it provides nice coverage, it still looks very natural, photographs well, and has nice staying power. This foundation is also available in a wide range of shades that should suit almost all skin tones. Your skin will not look dead with this foundation! I just like this product so much! It gives me almost everything I could want, and even though it is expensive, I consider it worth it since I know I will use up the entire bottle instead of just trying it a few times like some less expensive drugstore foundations. You definitely get what you pay for with this product.

Even when I was looking for a new foundation after my beloved (Chanel Mat Lumiere) was discontinued, I was initially hesitant to try this foundation because I saw an advertisement in a magazine featuring a Ke$ha-esque teenage girl taking a selfie with a phone cam. This, combined with the price, made the foundation seem very gimmicky. Please, do not be like me! This is a wonderful foundation that is used by people of all ages, of all skin tones, of all skin types, with great results!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 5/23/2013 2:32:00 AM More reviews by Tiff8812

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This foundation stinks! There is no coverage. I have very clear skin, I wanted it to cover my pinkish tint. It is so thin! I STILL have to wear another foundation with it to get full coverage. I also live in AZ so it gets a little warm here. It was 74 degrees in my house and you could just see the foundation on my face! There really is nothing like MAC studio fix foundation.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/21/2013 1:20:00 AM More reviews by LauraAnn13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I will NEVER understand the hype. If you have any more than average peach fuzz, big pores or skin that has a little texture...STAY CLEAR OF THIS FOUNDATION because it highlights every imperfection you have. It has decent coverage but little staying power. It also does not work well for my best friend. It makes mine and her little peach fuzz stick straight out. My skin looks flaky after I put it on. More than one layer and this stuff looks cakey also. While it works well for some. If you cant go somewhere like Sephora to try it on before you order it DONT BOTHER. It could potentially be a huge waste of money because this stuff is not cheap and so not worth the money. I wouldn't pay half of what it costs for it.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2013 6:14:00 PM More reviews by sharee20

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was soooo disappointed, I've been matched to 120 (too yellow for me) and then 117 (too light) I was hoping to finally find a perfect match for my skintone. However even if the shades would've worked the formula settled into my pores, never seen anything like it, and was shiny much quicker than normal for me. Two times it was applied professionally using different primers and the 3rd time I applied it at home during my normal routine so I know it was the foundation itself. I was disappointed after reading all the hype. I highly recommend trying this on in the store and getting a sample before buying. Only good thing is the pump bottle.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2013 9:55:00 PM More reviews by mizsockmonkey

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't get the hype.

I caved and bought this after reading the rave reviews from people who've joined the apparent MUFE HD cult. I decided even before trying it on myself that they were probably right and this was probably the BEST FOUNDATION EVAARRRR!

Sadly, it does not work for me. My skin's combo - I can get oily in the T-zones and dry-ish in the other regions. And after this is on my skin for a couple of hours I am seriously shining like the top of the Chrysler Building. I feel like this foundation encourages oil production like no other foundation I've tried! And it's not that it's just not soaking up oil or something - I don't get this shiny on days that I wear no makeup at all.

On top of that, after it encourages oil production, the makeup just sliiiiiides right off my face. I'd say that if you even have a tendency to get a little oily, this foundation MIGHT not be for you. It's too bad, because I found a perfect color match. But I don't want to be blotting myself all day with Starbucks napkins.

Back to Sephora!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/16/2013 3:12:00 PM More reviews by beautyskindeep

Ok so I have been trying out what seems like every foundation on the market trying to narrow it down to my HG. Well I can say I didn't find it in this. Not because it's not a beautiful foundation, because it is at first. My problem with it is the staying power! Even after primer, powder ( hd) and UD deslick setting spray, I am really shiny after just a couple of hours with this. Which is such a bummer because when you first put it on, it looks so airbrushed and natural... but I have oily/ combo skin and it just doesn't work for me :(. I like Mat Velvet plus a lot better! I may have to except that I may not find a HG.I'm trying Kat Von D next...

PROS: Beautiful, natural finish, nice shade selection ( I'm 118), No smell that I can detect, goes on great with any method of application ( although I find clean fingers are the best), would be great for someone that has normal to dry skin!! Great packaging( has a pump yay!) Medium buildable coverage. Looks great in pictures!!

CONS: Pricey, no staying power on combo/ oily skin and that's about all I can say for the cons. It was just not the right formula for my skin type.

For some added color selection help ( I know I always like to see when people list what shade they are in other foundations) :

Mat velvet: 30
Revlon color stay: sand beige
UD naked skin: 3.5
Color stay whipped: natural beige
Sheseido sun protection: sp40
MAC: NW20-25
Tarte amazonian clay: light/ med

HOPE THIS HELPS!!!! :)

rated 2 of 5 on 5/15/2013 3:31:00 AM More reviews by AllyLesniak

My sister bought this foundation a few years ago to try and help cover up her acne. Based on so many great opinions of YouTubers and bloggers, she spent the $50 or whatever it was and gave it a try. Since we were living together at the time, I decided to give it a go as well. She didn't seem too impressed but I was outright disappointed. This applied nicely but the coverage wasn't nearly as good as we hoped it would be. Also, after an hour I looked like an oily mess (my skin is combination and doesn't look oily often). I broke out the following day and decided not to go near this stuff again. For the hype and the money, I was really expecting something better.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2013 9:34:00 AM More reviews by Loewe99

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is possibly one of my favorite products! The staying power is really good and I use this over my Rachel K CC Cream for full coverage. This foundation is not oily and it feels great on my skin. I've been using this HD foundation for about 3 months now and so far I've had no breakouts.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2013 7:23:00 AM More reviews by Margaret1975

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my HG foundation. After Revlon discontinued my beloved colorstay active foundation, I was forced to hunt for a replacement. I spent a small fortune trying different foundations until I decided to give this one a shot. They have a wide selection of shades. I'm fair skinned and shade 115 perfectly matched my skin tone. It works like a dream. Using a makeup sponge, I stipple it on and the results are so skin-like that you can hardly tell I'm wearing any foundation at all. The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't contain sunscreen so I removed on lippie but other than that, I love it and highly recommend it.