July 22, 2014 | 2296 users online

Foundations - Make Up For Ever - HD High Definition Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 7/12/2013 8:52:00 AM More reviews by Layali

Aside from my skin looking flawless in person and in pictures, the thing that drew me to this foundation were the shades. I've looked at some of the best including MAC, and as far as colors and shades are concerned none can compare to MUFE. This is an amazing creation for me, especally if you don't have light skin or pink undertones, you'll know what I'm talking about. I actually found three good shades for my medium olive tone and one of them is perfect and natural looking (123 - works okay with my new tan too).
It is quite build-able but the coverage is never really "full" and it starts sliding off my oily face in five hours (depends on weather) unless I use a good primer.
I have acne-prone and combination skin and this is alright for me but I'm NOT saying it will help control the oil (it wont). You need some oil control primer for that. And for people with dry skin you simply need to use extra moisture, and, if you have deep acne scars - FORGET THIS.
Another down side is when I put it under my eyes it seeps in my wrinkles and stays there. And I have some dry spots on my skin from time to time and it can get a bit chalky.
I don't use it often so one bottle has lasted me a year with no problems. The only reason why I'm not buying this again is because I want to try others (from MUFE too).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2013 4:06:00 PM More reviews by orenjinominh

I have to say that this foundation is both overhyped and totally worth it.

my mom loves how flawless she looks in photos with this, and trust me when I say that woman takes more photos than angelina jolie on the red carpet. I don't take photos, but when I do this makes me look flawless. in person however it does look like foundation, or a very nice satin finish that is not really possible for bare skin.

price is ridiculous which is why I only use this for going out rather than every day. however it is very long lasting and applies beautifully with fingers or beauty blender. I feel that its too watery to use with a sigma f80. color match is always excellent. I use 120 in winter and 123 in the summer.

I think if this was priced at 25 to 35 it would be holy grail. for the price however I don't see anything amazing about it. I love it, but its not the be all end all of my foundation search.

Edit: I went to several makeup counters to troll today and at least 3 or 4 girls commented that my skin looks super flawless, asking me whether I was wearing a very discrete powder or not. It had been after a long day's wear (maybe 9 hours) and they thought I just had perfect skin! >.> I'm sold. I think that after a few hours the foundation blends with your natural oils and looks like real skin. Nice!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2013 11:26:00 AM More reviews by scs2dd

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

EDIT #2: I'm getting frustrated with the short wear time and how much it transfers. I don't even have oily skin. Time to try a different formula.
EDIT: Ok the shade complaint was my fault because I thought #120 Soft Sand was darker than #118 when it is, in fact, just yellower and a perfect match on me.
Lauder changed the formula of my favorite foundation, Double Wear Light, so I had to find a new one. My main criteria was that it needed to have light shades with strong yellow tones, have great staying power, and dilute well in water. The MUFE foundation hit some and missed others. I'm at my average skin tone right now; I'm not as pale as I am at the end of winter and not as tan as at the end of summer. As a result, I'm smack in the middle of shades 117 and 118, both looking either noticeably pale or dark on me (MUFE says 118 is for beige skin, but that's the yellowest beige I've ever seen. Perfect for a tanner version of me.). This means I'd have to mix both for the majority of the year, carry them both with me on trips too. But it might be worth it because, if you didn't get it the first two times, the shades lean quite yellow and so mixing would make a flawless match. The finish is also something to love because it's light yet velvety and truly buildable (more so than Lauder). It ends up appearing very natural, like skin-- not too matte and not too dewy. I apply with a Beautyblender so I know that it dilutes nicely with water. I don't need very much to apply to my t-zone and chin, just about a pea size.
The staying power has left me slightly disappointed, but maybe I've just been spoiled by Lauder (really that stuff is ridiculous). I set with Nars Light Reflecting Setting Powder, but foundation still ends up on my finger if I swipe it very lightly over my face. I can't apply this with a kabuki brush as the bristles erase my coverage; I now have to blot with a puff then carefully knock excess powder off with a brush if I want to keep foundation on my face. I'd apply it more heavily but it covers my freckles and makes me look fake. It lasts about 8 hours on me (combo skin) before fading. A plus is that it doesn't get patchy as it disappears.
The pump bottle works fine and looks nice, but I prefer squeeze tubes. Their spouts are just has hygienic without the bulk of a round bottle-- it's easier to travel with and you're probably not paying as much for the packaging.
Overall, I'll probably repurchase if something better yet in the same price range doesn't come along. The biggest draws for me are the colors and texture.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/7/2013 4:07:00 PM More reviews by Spanish2166

I bought this foundation yesterday at sephora with hopes of beautiful skin. I have acne prone skin and acne scars. This foundation did NOTHING i recommend save your money and buy a different one. Personally it did not work for me. I have used ELF products and they were better than this that is $42.00. If your looking for a good foundation that lasts all day and is for people with acne / oily prone skin i would recomend the Lancome Teint idole fresh wear amazing foundation :) and cheaper.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/4/2013 9:44:00 AM More reviews by KimmyRM

This is my foundation of the moment, well - for the past year really. I was so intrigued on 'HD' make up that i just had to try it. Its really hard to find here in the UK and I usually stock up when I visit Asia or any country that has a sephora.

I use a beauty blender to apply this foundation and I find using the make up forever all mat primer works the best with this foundation - the make up HD primer in Mauve just makes my skin oily.

The coverage for this foundation is outstanding and its staying power - more than 8 hours.

All in all - the best foundation I've got - beating the bigger names I've tried like Dior and Armani. Finish this look off with Make Up Forever HD Microfinish Powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2013 12:12:00 PM More reviews by yeahitsparisa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Love it! I've tried so much makeup and it keeps my skin beautiful especially in pictures with flash

rated 3 of 5 on 7/3/2013 3:55:00 AM More reviews by HaveMercyJessie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I enjoyed it while it lasted, but I wouldn't buy again. It felt great on my skin when I first applied it, but I felt as the night went on my skin would begin to feel greasy! So if your using it with a matte primer it may work better for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2013 10:40:00 PM More reviews by ohtanya

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I think it's trendy to hate on this foundation. That or people just don't know how to apply foundation. I have problem skin, acne scars, dry patches, the works. This foundation applied with a beautyblender is perfection. It covers very well, I don't have weird dry or overly oily patches a few hours after wear like most other foundations, and the lasting power is amazing.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2013 5:08:00 PM More reviews by lovetoshop31

I LOVE this foundation. HD foundation is amazing for photographs and any sort of light you are going to be in - it will NOT wash you out or make you look all pasty like most foundations (most with SPF). This foundation glides on really nicely (I use a Beauty Blender sponge) and is totally buildable. I prefer full coverage and usually just build on top of t he first layer a little bit in areas I prefer full coverage. The nice thing about this foundation is that with it being as buildable as it is you can apply as little or as much as you want ( a little goes a LONG way)! You don't have to have it thick all over or super thin all over. The HD, like I said, is great and looks amazing under any photography/lights. I plan to have my makeup artist use this foundation for my wedding next Spring I love it THAT much. My skin is combo and I don't get oily or flaky at all throughout the day. I would suggest pairing this with Makeup Forever HD setting powder - it, too, is amazing stuff!!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/2/2013 5:05:00 PM More reviews by rec1183

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have very mixed feelings about this foundation. I first tried it about 3 years ago when I had a lot of breakouts and old acne scars, and it was just mehhh. It didn't cover anything and seemed to accentuate my already oily skin even though I was told by the MUA at Sephora that it was good for all skin types. I stuck with it, and finished it but I didn't re-purchase. Fast-forward to present day, I decided to give it another try now that my skin is relatively clear. It applies nicely with the ELF flat-top powder brush, the Real Techniques Buffing brush, and the Real Techniques Stippling brush. I would say the coverage is light to medium, definitely not a full coverage. I normally set it with the MAC Mineralize Skin Finish Natural, MAC Studio Fix powder, Makeup For Ever Duo Mat powder (now discontinued), or the Makeup For Ever Pro Finish powder. It looks very beautiful when you first apply it but it's a slick oily mess after about 3-4 hours of wear on my oily skin. I have tried using it with several primers, setting sprays, and even Milk of Magnesia but none worked. As for looking good in pictures- LIES! I wore this foundation for my big birthday celebration and it looked horrible in all my birthday pictures......big mistake! I looked super oily and glowy (in a bad way) in all the pictures even though I was blotting my face the entire time :( I suppose that's "HD" for ya!

However, I do have to say that they do have a very good color range, especially for women of color like myself. I'm an NC50 in MAC foundations and #178 matches me perfectly in this one. It comes with a pump so you're not having to pour it out or waste product, that's a plus. I can't really tell if the bottle is glass or some kind of plastic but it's very sturdy. The cap fits nicely on top of it, I've traveled with it and it didn't come off. If you have oily skin, I would advise that you stay away from this foundation unless you're only planning on wearing it for a short amount of time. Also, do not purchase if you don't have "perfect" skin, it does not cover severe scarring (you'll need a concealer), and it will accentuate any raised bumps you may have on your face.

I don't think I'll re-purchase after I'm done with my current bottle. I only use it when I'm not going to be out for a long time, and no pictures please! And for $42, I expect my foundation to be close to perfect. I think it's better suited for people with dry skin.