Cover Girl Perfect Point Plus Eyeliners

3.4

on 12/22/2007 9:43:00 AM

This is the eyeliner my mom uses everyday, and first bought me when I added eyeliner to my makeup routine years ago.Here's a breakdown:

Pros;
- Cheap
- Glides on easy
Cons;
- No staying power. I swear it will be gone in an hour and has transferred to under my lashline
- Has a plastic cap on both ends, which just cracks and cracks and cracks until it breaks or won't stay on anymore
- The black isn't very black. It turns almost a greyish color pretty fast and easy.
- I really love the brown eyeliner ("espresso"). It's a nice dark brown, but once again, has no staying power even on my top lid, which I never, ever have a problem with eyeliners staying there.

So, I won't be repurchasing. Have since switched to Revlon ColorStay pencil & liquid.

on 12/20/2007 3:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

It went on soft and precise but it smuged and ran after an hour. Plus covergirl tests on animals so I will never buy again.

on 12/19/2007 8:02:00 PM

This eyeliner has proven to be the most dependable for me. It beats Styli Style and Milani with performance anyway. It goes on smoothly, easily and stays on all day. It's so dependable, you actually need to use make up remover to get it off completely. It's a great eyeliner.

on 12/17/2007 12:05:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

goes on smoothly and blends well. the blender tip is handy.however this smudges and transfers quite easily. i go over this with a liquid eyeliner and it stays all day

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Goes on easily and smoothly- unless your lids are wet (in that case, it's impossible for this liner to go on at all). However, this liner provides zero staying power against sweat and oil, so it smudges all over the place if you have oily skin. Basically, easy application in the morning, but you'll be forced to constantly reapply it as the day wears on.

on 12/6/2007 12:09:00 PM

This is a good idea, but really, I don't love it. I use it, but don't really use it on my lid-just the waterline. It's okay there, and okay for a smokey eye, but a girl I know uses this and it's usually ALL over her face. There are better black pencils.

on 11/29/2007 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other

I LOVE THIS eyeliner. My holy grail. It goes on so smoothly. Lasts a long time, especially the black onyx (I also wear the espresso) My only gripe is that the point breaks off sometimes, may be my heavy hand though. But, I love it and will continue to repurchase

on 11/18/2007 2:21:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

it does tug at my skin but the colors look natural and the smudger is a nice bonus. i think it has reasonably good staying power and its better suited for a more natural look since they aren't super pigmented. overall a nice everyday liner since it is self sharpening and comes with a smudger, which makes it good to throw in your purse for touchups.

on 11/17/2007 2:47:00 AM

I have worn this eyeliner, in espresso, for several years. I love the convenience of being self sharpening, especially when I'm in a rush to get my makeup done. The negatives are that the point isn't as sharp as I'd like it to be sometimes so it's difficult to achieve a thin line. Also, when I wear this for long periods of time it starts to smudge and run a little on the outer corners of my eyes. I recently switched to Revlon Colorstay and am very happy with its lasting, waterproof power. I recommend trying it instead.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I received a Perfect Point Plus in Black Onxy free in a promotional pack that included Lash Exact mascara. I'm afraid that even being free is not redemption enough to keep this liner in my collection.
Perfect Point Plus are automatic/self-sharpening pencil eyeliners that are longwearing/water resistent. They are mid-priced at retail, meaning there are less expensive and more expensive liners from which to choose.
Black Onxy, like all automactic pencils, is easy to use and delivers a fine to medium width line. I prefer my black colors to be deep, dark and saturated. Unfortunately, Black Onxy is lacking in pigmentation and only delivered a not-quite-black color to my fair (NW20) skin. Going over the line several times, while not desirable, did not improve the color.
While this is a relatively soft liner, the finish is very waxy and does tug a bit on application. The wax provides a dull finish and I must say, I prefer a richer more opaque look. I expect the added wax is how this liner achieves its water-resistant status, though, sadly, this did not make it through a full 8 hour day for me. By about hour 6, bits of the line disappear.
Being that I prefer pencil liners to other forms and that I wear waterproof almost exclusively, Perfect Point Plus simply did not even meet the performance of my other liners. Prestige waterproof pencils (at half the price), Revlon Colorstay liners (at about the same price), and MAC Powerpoints (at a few dollars more) outperform Perfect Point Plus in pigmentation, finish, application and wear.
My final verdict is that Perfect Point Plus in Black Onxy is the black crayon of eyeliners: lacking in pigmentation and waxy in finish. With so many other longwearing automatic pencil options available that, IMO, outperform this liner, I won't keep Perfect Point Plus in my lineup. Not only will I not repurchase, I don't even want this liner for free.