Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

Extra-virgin coconut oil.

on 4/3/2010 3:53:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

Well, I've used this in different ways: as a scalp moisturizer (but it's hard to wash out) and as a hand lotion and a body lotion and I like it okay.
So now I'm using it as a facial cleanser (what I do is at night I wet my face and then rub the CO on and then take my warm--not hot--wet washcloth and drape it over my face for a few moments and then pat my face. I might put on some Olive Oil if my skin feels dry). My acne is getting better and my face seems to be toned (that is, less red or splotchy). It's also less oily and seems more normal. My pores are also seeming smaller (because I don't think you can completely close pores once they've become enlarged and damaged as mine have but I could be wrong). I also find that my hands are softer after using this because I rub the excess oil on the backs of my hands.
I'll keep using it because it's only been a few days and sometimes it takes a while for skin to show signs (I think it takes 30 days for new skin to show or for a regeneration period...and most detox diets take about 30 days so it seems a good number of days to wait and see). I have no problems with it so I don't see why I shouldn't keep using it--it removes makeup better than Cetaphil and doesn't dry my skin out like every other cleanser/soap does. And I don't need to rinse my face afterwards and that's a time saver (yay).
I like the smell too. It makes me want to go to the beach (which could make you depressed if it's winter and you are flat broke haha). It'll last a long time and you can eat it! Haha!

on 3/29/2010 4:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

This is a wonder product and my relationship with it has become a love story! I have been reading about the virtues of virgin coconut oil for quite some time. Last week I finally got around to picking some up at Whole Foods. I have been using this in so many ways! First, I've been applying it to my hair when it's dry, just to add a little moisture to the strands. Apparently it's great for losing weight, and who doesn't want to be thinner? I drop a tsp amount into my daily smoothie. I use it as a pre-shampoo treatment, by coating my strands in it and letting it sit for atleast 45 minutes. A great method is to leave it on for 30 minutes without heat, then 15 minutes with heat. A warm towel around the head is best. Then I wash and condition as usual. It restores the life and moisture in my hair. I also slather this on my body sometimes to nourish and hydrate my skin after a shower. It leaves you so soft! It puts other body oils to shame. I will repurchase. Love that it's natural, that's a huge bonus in my book. I believe this set me back about $8 for a large jar and it should surely last me awhile.

on 3/19/2010 1:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I used this for my over processed hair. What a conditioner. My hair looked and felt amazing. Tastes great too. Will try on my skin next and update review.

on 3/5/2010 9:55:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

This is a HG product for my hair. I have bonde hair that is long, colored, dries out easily and tends to frizz. After I take a shower, I rub a dime-size amount of coconut oil (a little goes a long way) between my hands and apply it to my damp hair, and especially my ends. Then I use a comb to make sure the coconut oil is spread through evenly. I always let my hair air dry in a braid or a messy bun, and when I take it out I get these beautiful, healthy, frizz-free waves and it looks like I have virgin hair again. I'm so glad that I don't have to bother with expensive sticky hair serums anymore. Coconut oil also works well as a body moisturizer (I wouldn't use it on my face because I am so acne-prone), excellent as an eye makeup remover, and has endless uses. A huge tub of it is relatively cheap too, and will last forever.

This stuff has been a miracle for my hair! My hair is very fine but dry and frizzy from heat styling it and coloring it blond. I use coconut oil on my hair overnight then I shampoo and condition in the morning. Wow it has made such a difference! I've been using it about 2x/week for about a month and my hair is now soft, shiny, and bouncy=) This stuff is the real deal, better than any deep conditioner I've tried. It still can get frizzy, but its soft now and less split ends. The best way I've found to use it is to wet my hair then warm up a bit of it in my hands untill its liquid. Then I put it on my hair and wrap it with a towel and sleep on it overnight. Some complain about the smell but to me it smells good, like an almond joy cady bar lol.
I don't use it on my face because I am acne prone, but I've used it to take off eye makeup and it works wonders for that too. I bought the organic kind from whole foods for about 13 for a big tub that will last me awhile. I highly recommend this for dry lifeless hair you must try it. You can cook with it too but I haven't yet.

I buy this for cooking primarily...don't use as a cleanser, but do use as a hair conditioner. Works well on hair and also for cooking! Cannot use for cleanser as it makes my face oily beyond belief. I gave this 4 lippies for the numerous other things it's better for though!

on 3/3/2010 3:08:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

EDIT!!!: This on my naturally wavy dry hair is AMAZING!!! I use this pre-shampoo about once a week. I take about 6 tablespoons or so and soak my DRY hair in it from about mid-shaft to the ends. Do not put this on damp or wet hair, water and oil don't mix and therefore it will not penetrate as it should. Google the benefits of it for your hair....it has changed my hair immensly!

I bought this because I am on a hunt for an all natural moisturizer for my body, and after reading all of the rave reviews about this, I ran out and bought some....at first it was awesome, it made my skin soo supple and smooth plus it smells divine! But after about a week of use I am breaking out on my back and chest, plus I have small white bumps appearing on my upper arms. After more research on EVCO I have found it is insanley comedogenic, so it's a major NO for anyone who is acne prone!

I have special ordered some Hazelnut Oil because it is not comedogenic and has a natural astrigent...so we'll see if that works!

on 2/7/2010 2:51:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

As a cleanser, so far it doesn't irritate my skin or cause new cystic acne to appear. It is a bit greasy but with plenty of water and a clean gauze, you can remove most of the oily residue. I still follow up with a sulfur soap because I have some old cystic acne I am trying to bring to a head. But one of these days I will use this as a cleanser without following it up with a soap.

on 1/22/2010 2:07:00 PM

SLOWLY, slowly I am trying out all natural products/oils to see if I can replace some of my skincare products and cut down on the number. I had disastrous results w/ jojoba oil (apparently, I'm allergic) which led to months and months of no more experimenting.

As I have found several wonderful uses, I will be posting this particular review under lotions/creams, skincare (face) and hair. For cleansing purposes I rated at a 3 because while effective, it broke out my nose area, so it may be problematic for others.

I purchased a jar of Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil at Valley Natural Foods (I don't have a Whole Foods near me) for not much $ (forget the price, but I'm pretty sure it was under or around $10).

PROS: (1) just minor, barely detectable smell (I do love the smell of coconut so this could be a con, but I'd rather have a slight vs an overpowering smell)

(2) inexpensive

(3) tastes really good on toast (instead of butter) :)

(4) worx well on my legs as a moisturizer after shaving - my legs get positively parched and irritated after shaving no matter how moisturizing of product I use - this immediately calms the shaving reaction down!!

(5) works well as a pm under-eye moisturizer = no more seperate undereye moisturizer for me!! (use my regular moisturizer/SS during day under my eyes)

(6) works well as a partial facial moisturizer at night (by partial, I mean I can't use around my nose or I break out), but works beautifully everywhere else, especially on my flushing-type rosecea on my cheeks.

(7) calms down minor chem burns - I accidently left on my Nair Facial Hair removal creme 2 minutes too long = total redness (and I mean BRIGHT red) and PAIN! Applied this after applying cold water = w/in 2 minutes = great reduction in pain. After an hour, redness gone, pain gone, only left w/ small red mark on my chin which actually took several days to heal (peeled and everything - YUK)

(8) works well as a hand and foot moisturizer under gloves and socks at night - once I'm done w/ the products I normally use, I will replace w/ this. :)

(9) removes my long-wearing lipsticks and waterproof mascara;

(10) worx well as a pre-shampoo conditioner - didn't hurt my color, did impart some shine and extra body :) (I also tried as a deep conditioner post shampoo - not a good idea = too greasy after drying my hair.)

CONS: (1) breaks out my nose area

(2) is too greasy to use during day

However, I do highly recommend for all the other reasons listed above!!!

UPDATE 01/20/10: Have switched to grapeseed oil for both cleansing/eye MU removal. Continuing to use as a body lotion, foot lotion/hand/cuticle lotion (at night), pre-shampoo conditioner = still love!!

UPDATE 02/09/10 - saw a LARGE jar of the Nutiva brand at Walmart for approx $20

UPDATE 08/25/10 - I should have written this a few months ago, but:

1. after just a month of using at night on my hands under gloves, I now have to cut/trim my fingernails because they have become so strong and this is the only product I have been using (besides regular hand lotion occasionally)

2. since using this on my feet (and between my toes) at night w/ socks, I have not had a re-occurrance of athlete's foot. Normally I get it at least 1/month = haven't had in 7 months! Since this was the only product I've been putting between my toes (no matter what other moisturizer I may slather on the rest of my feet) the coconut oil gets full credit for this!

on 1/21/2010 6:13:00 PM

i just bought this a few days ago, due to all the raving and good reviews to this product and let me say it lives up to it's name, but i found the smell horrible! it smelt like vomit and coconuts mixed together, yuck!!! other then that i found it moisturising for my skin and hair. in the last couple of days ive used it as an eye makeup remover and hell is this stuff good for my eyes. it removed all traces of mascara even water proof and didnt leave me with a heavy black ring around my eyes, as i found out with the eyemakeup cleansers.i would buy this stuff again, but in smaller quantities

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products