September 18, 2014 | 1787 users online

Cleansers - Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2007 4:09:00 PM More reviews by ratgirldjh

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

i use organic extra virgin coconut oil for everything!!!
for my face i use the OCM and i love it!!! first i rub some VCO in my hands til it gets warm and then massage my face for about 5 minutes. then i take a steamy washcloth and lay it on my face til it cools and do it again and then wipe all of the oil off scrubbing lightly.
since doing this i have found that i do not need to exfoliate as much as before. i think the oil softens the skin and then steaming does too and then you actually wipe off the dead and dry skin as well as oils and dirt from your pores.
i put it on my still damp face and skin after a bath.
also i eat it on my toast and take a spoonful at night before bed to help with constipation.
i will never be with out this product!!!
EDIT*** has anyone ever tried massaging VCO all over and then taking a warm bath? it works even better like this!!! you can use soap or just a loofah... but it really works wonders to make your skin super silky....
EDIT!!! i have started massaging VCO all over my hair and then letting it soak in overnight. the next day i will take a steamy hot towel (i microwave a wet towel!) and wrap my hair in it til it cools. i do this 3 times and then rinse my hair VERY good with cool water. it will still be a little greasy after this - but i do it for the next 2 days and then my hair is so soft and thick and shiny! i love doing this deep conditioning treatment EDIT: i still LOVE VCO!!! i don't think i could live without it!!!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/20/2007 12:20:00 PM More reviews by aisharouh

After reading so many reviews about coconut oil as a cleanser and the OCM method I was intrigued to try it. I first tried it over the summer but I didn't know about the OCM (Oil Cleansing Method) so I rubbed it on my face, wet a washcloth and tried to wipe it off and then splash my face with water. Whether it was the summer or the improper removal method or a combination of both, I was just not pleased and I could see a breakout about to occur so I stopped. I then read about the Oil Cleansing Method and how massaging the oil and then steaming the face with a washcloth a few times ( I wet a washcloth with warm water and then place it over my face three times, wiping my face with the washcloth after the first steam) is very important. Nevertheless I decided I would try a combination of 25% castor oil and 75% EVOO with a few drops of tea tree oil. I OCM'd with this mixture for about a week and I could tell it was clogging my pores. I then decided to stick with my DHC Cleansing Oil which never broke me out (although I was concerned that it is not as pure as other oils and the potential to strip the face of its natural oils). About 2 weeks ago I had a pretty big breakout and dryness, I think due to the change in weather, the indoor heating drying out my face and the time of the month overlapping. I picked my face and was left with a mess on my face. I tried a million things to help heal my face while also ridding it of the acne and dryness. Finally, I turned to coconut oil. I figured I had nothing to lose. I OCM'd the first few days following with 2-3 drops of Squalane as moisturizer and my skin started to look better -- clean, glowy and the places I picked started healing and the blemishes disappearing. My face still felt dry so about the third day I replaced my squalane with a little coconut oil as moisturizer. My skin LOVED it. The scabs kind of just fell off, the acne marks are fading, the other parts of my skin look glowy and moisturized but not oily and the dryness and flaking is gone. I have now been doing this for almost 2 weeks and my skin looks great! I can't believe my skin has healed this quickly. I also noticed that the coconut oil under my eyes helps with dark circles after some time of using it as cleanser or moisturizer. I only do this at night. In the morning I cleanse with a mixture of powdered milk and water, follow with some drops of squalane, sunscreen and my Everyday Minerals mineral makeup. Prior to applying the mineral makeup I put concealer on the acne marks, follow with a light dusting of mineral makeup and I don't look cakey or as if I'm trying to over-cover bad skin. I will continue to use coconut oil as cleanser and occasionally as moisturizer as needed. I will update if there are any changes.
UPDATE: My skin started to dry out again. I think it is the change to the cold weather and the hot water from OCM'ing. I have a hunch that OCM'ing in the winter might be too harsh and, though a good cleanser, I would rather not dry out my skin more in the winter time. For now I have switched to a gentle cleanser (Professional Solutions Rose Hip Seed Cleanser) but may return to coconut oil in the summer. I still use coconut oil as an eye makeup remover and eye moisturizer.

UPDATE: Now that spring is here and the winter is no longer so drying, I am back to using Coconut Oil as a makeup remover and I LOVE IT! This time however, I do wash with a gentle cleanser (Professional Solutions Rose Hip Seed Cleanser) after removing makeup with coconut oil. I love it!

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2007 9:53:00 PM More reviews by boogiedisease

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is the only stuff that fixes the occasional bouts of keratosis pilaris on my arms. I've tried a ton of products for this condition that haven't delivered (as promised).
Also works great in the hair-- just a small amount for shine. I've not tried it anywhere else, but I'm already quite content with the uses I've found for it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2007 3:23:00 PM More reviews by illuminate1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using EVCO for removing my eye makeup for several weeks now after finding several other eye makeup removers less than satisfying. I use the Sheshido mascara base and waterproof mascara, not to mention I used MAC fluidlines to line with! Anyone who has used these know it can be difficult to remove. The coconut oil has cut the time I spend getting the mascara and all off. It has made my eyelashes soft and healthy looking even with all the waterproofing mascara I use. I like to sit some oil on the eyelashes for a few moments then take a cottonball and wipe it all off. I also use this product in my hair, doing a hot oil treatment about once a week before I wash. I have received lots of shiny compliments lately and that usually only happens after I dye my hair. For me, this is a dream come true makeup remover and cheap to boot!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2007 9:28:00 AM More reviews by fancythat

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased coconut oil at first as a moisturizer for my face/body but found that it wasn't quite enough, particularly in the winter time. Not wanting to waste it I started using it as a prewash conditioner in my hair. I would simply put enough in my hair to make it look damp and leave on for at least 30 minutes before washing. I also used it sometimes after washing my hair as a styling "mud." I previously used Jonathan dirt, but I liked this much better. Anyway, like Zoey it took my over dried, dull, colored hair back to shiny well behaved hair in two weeks - no kidding. In fact my stylist asked me what I had been using as it was such a dramatic improvement! After reading MUA last night, I tried it to remove my makeup including eye makeup and it is fantastic. It made cleansing my face effortless. I really believe in coconut oil as a beauty MUST and have turned my daughter on to it as well. I have purchased both the organic and the non organic (found in Walmart or any grocery) and I can't tell a difference in quality at all. It does last forever and either way it's inexpensive. I am a big fan and will continue to use this and repurchase as necessary as to never run out.

12 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2007 8:44:00 AM More reviews by friend_or_foe

Well, I read this review yesterday, and decided to test out the coconut-oil-as-eye-makeup-remover theory for myself, as I happened to have a tub of it anyway. Well, it worked a treat-- all my eyeliner, shadow and even waterproof mascara came off in half the time it takes me with my normal product, and it left the skin around my eyes lovely and soft and moisturised-feeling. I'd be reluctant to use it elsewhere on my face, but as eye make-up remover, I'll certainly be using this again!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2007 11:13:00 PM More reviews by zoey

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been buying these in huge 1 lb. tubs from my local natural foods market for the past few years. I'm already on my 3rd jar of this, even though it takes me forever to use it up! (About a jar a year, between me & m,y 2 girls).

I have oily skin, so I keep this far away from my face. I use this exclusively on my hair, both as a deep pre-wash conditioner and also a smidgen (about a quarter size on my long hair, pic in profile) on my ends as a leave-in once my hair is dry. I add in my oil essential & fragrance oils also. I use this on my daughters also.

I had been coloring my hair for years & it become dry & dull. Since using coconut oil, I keep getting compliments on how "shiny & healthy" my hair looks. I've since stopped coloring my hair but am still loyal to coconut oil.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/29/2007 2:16:00 PM More reviews by safiamafia

Great stuff. Amazingly enough it seems to work great for mild acne. Put it on at night and wake up with super smooth skin. Good as a hairpack and a great natural moisturizer/protector in the sun. I also eat it ( great in smoothies), unrefined vco has major healing and cleansing qualities inside and out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2007 12:25:00 PM More reviews by LovingMe830

I have been using EVCO for a few years now, mainly to remove Mascara. I use *waterproof* mascara & this is the absolute BEST for taking any brand off, even the most stubborn kind imaginable! The other benefit is that leaves the lashes condtioned & the eye area moist. I have no interest in ever using a traditional eye make-up remover again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2007 10:37:00 AM More reviews by gruveechik

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Me: extremely dry skin, and Vata in nature (Ayurvedic classification). I'm supposed to use non-roasted Sesame Oil or Almond Oil, but because I cook with Coconut Oil as well, I've been using this.

I've been using Coconut Oil as my OCM (Oil Cleansing Method) Oil. Not one bit of soap has touched my face in over 3months - and my skin has never looked or felt better! I use heavy makeup to cover up hyperpigmentation + lots of mascara + eyeliner. I find Coconut Oil dissolves my makeup extremely well, and it's so easy to remove. I prefer it to Castor Oil (which dries my face out) and/or Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I use a microfibre cloth - soaked in hot water, and after massaging the oil into my face, I use the cloth to remove all my makeup. Followed by Avalon Lavender Hydrosol, and every trace is gone.

This has been perfect for summer cleansing, in Winter I'll move on to Almond Oil for my face.

As for the reviewer below, Coconut Oil is moisturizing, however, there are other oils that are more moisturizing. If you tend to suffer from being cold, you may be Vata in nature, and would need a warmer oil such as untoasted Sesame Oil or Almond Oil.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No