November 28, 2014 | 1794 users online

Cleansers - Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2008 12:41:00 AM More reviews by NightAng3l

OMG, Coconut oil HG stuff! White solid oil that melts on touch, i got a huge 500g tub for 13AUD and i can tell this will last ages. The packaging cant be better as this oil solidifies in low temp so if it was in lets say a tube it would be very messy coz in warm weather it would come out pouring lol. ok on with the product review. Ive used this for 3 consecutive times applying it at night before i go to bed and washing it off the morning after (i wash my hair every second day) and each time my hair has become softer and softer and softer! you dont even need conditioner i swear! Im so amazed! my hay like hair tips are so so so much softer only after three times,its unbelievable! And yes there was a major difference in my hair even after the FIRST use. I wouldnt be surprised if with further use my dry ends completely disappear! im so glad i found this! It also adds mega shine in a healthy way:) I also i use this as a face moisturizer (with or without my daily moisturizer) in the mornings as its quite light and i havent had ANY problems with it (and yes i am pimple prone) only use one dab:) HG material. Once you try it you will never look back on any leave in conditioners, EVER. :D Please, I urge you, go try it now!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2008 7:00:00 PM More reviews by sarahandj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Love this for all over body care except for face. It comes in a big tub at Whole Foods or Health food stor for about 10 bucks. Solid white chunk liquifies upon contact with hands. I leave it on the heater thing in apartment and then use about a tablespoon to pre-condition hair for one hair. It is the ONLY oil that penatrates hair shaft. (google it and you will find scientific info) Awesome for removing eye makeup, no stinginging and little film or greasiness. Very high on acne inducing scale, though some people use it on face and love it. Very cheap and healthy product!!! Must say vigin and NOT cocnut milk. Be forwarned though, it rewuires you to really wash out of hair as it will leave hair greasy if not, and also best not to use near roots unless you have very damaged hair there and need treatment.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2008 1:35:00 AM More reviews by Reservechic

I love using coconut oil in my hair. As, it has excellent hydrating, hair softening, and shine properties to it.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2008 9:31:00 PM More reviews by chechi

I got extra virgin, certified organic (no preservatives) coconut oil from Rite Aid (GNC section) for $12 (16oz jar). It is a hard white solid and you need a spoon or mini-spatula to take some out, but you can melt it by rubbing a small amount in between your palms (hope that makes sense). I often use it before I take a shower to keep my hair soft and shiny. It is suppossed to help if you have hair loss problems. I don't use this as a body oil (too greasy), but I think it'll work for those of you with extremely dry flaky skin. (FYI - the product I use is marketed to be taken orally for its health benefits but I use it on my scalp and hair).

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2008 5:31:00 PM More reviews by Nikkilici0us

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

Coconut oil is amazing.Let me start by saying that I have extremely dry skin and have used many formulas on my face and body to help soothe it. The coconut oil is one of my favorite formulas yet! Its soaks into my skin more than olive oil (which I love also) and because its light and seems to be more dry than other oils, it's very comfortable to put on and wear around.

One of my favorite uses for it is for my hair, just as many others who have written reviews also use it this way. I buy disposable shower caps from Sally's or Ace, slather the coconut oil all over and make sure I really rub it into my scalp, roll up my hair into a bun and put the shower cap over it so that the heat from my scalp helps the oil penetrate into my skin and hair. You can also use a blowdryer over the cap for extra heat. If I want to soak my hair overnight, I skip the shower cap and just put a towel over my pillow. One of the keys to getting the oil out of your hair in the shower, however, is to first apply your shampoo and work it for a minute or two. In the winter, my scalp gets so dry and flaky.. and within two applications of the coconut oil, there has been so much improvement. My hair feels so soft and is so shiny after I wash it out! I have read that you can use small bits of the coconut oil on damp hair as a leave in, but too much will make your hair too greasy.

As for skin, I love to use it as a makeup remover. Even some of my favorite makeup removers leave residue under my bottom eyelashes, but the coconut oil dissolves all of it so quickly. My face felt so clean and moisturized after I used it. It also gives my cheeks a really nice sheen, which is always a plus! I do realize however that for some, it may clog pores, so while this may be a good use for many, it may not be good for all. But, if it does not work for your face, it can always work for your hair/body!:)

Coconut oil has a small molecular structure so it absorbs into skin really easily. This is why its great as a "lotion." Coconut oil helps to replace the oils you cleaned off your skin and therefore balances out the pH of your skin, and it also helps fight free radicals. It can also help prevent liver spots and aging/sun spots. It also aids in your skins natural exfoliation process. I like to liquify it, put it into a spray bottle, and spray it onto my skin right after i get out of the shower. It has made a huge difference in the way my skin feels. I also use it as a lip balm and on rough spots on my body (elbows, feet, ankles etc.) I find that sometimes with the AC on, the oil solidifies in the bottle but can be quickly melted down if I float it in the bathtub with me or run it under hot shower/sink water. You can also just take it out of the tub or container it came in and melt it between your fingers first.

Not only can you use the oil on your hair/skin, you can also eat it. You can reap some of the same benefits you get from applying it topically by ingesting it as well. I use it in all kinds of recipes... smoothies, cookies, chicken, pancakes, granola, fruit salads, regular salads (dressings), soups, and stews.

Hope this was a help! coconut oil is def worth a try!

40 out of 41 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2008 6:47:00 PM More reviews by BronzeBabe18

I was looking at the coconut oil reviews on makeupalley when I realized that I had some in my fridge. Well, heck, it was Sunday and I had nothing else to do, so I figured I'd try it out. At first it was rock solid, so to soften it up, I put hot water in my bathroom sink and allowed the container to float in the water for awhile to melt part of the coconut oil. (When it's cold it solidifies and is a white chunk). I waited about 3-4 minutes, unscrewed the cap and to my delight half of it had melted and it was slightly warm :)

I slathered it on my hair and ends and twisted it up with a hairclip. I then went about my business for a half an hour. I got in the shower and washed my hair twice with a clarifying shampoo. Now my hair has dried and I can not believe how shiny it is!!! My hair is also very soft. I will definitely buy it again. I also used it to take off my eye makeup before I got in the shower and WOW. It took off my mascara and liquid eyeliner quicker than my HG jojoba! I will still use my jojoba oil for moisturizer because I heard that coconut oil dries out skin, and I have VERY dry skin in the winter. But I will keep using this for my hair!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2008 10:41:00 AM More reviews by graceface07

its the dead of winter so when i heard about using coconut oil as a moisturizer i pretty much ran to the health food store. i was looking for it in the cosmetic area until a sales lady pointed me to a food aisle where all the cooking oils were (haha). i bought the virgin coconut oil (expeller pressed) it smells very slightly of coconut, which is nice not over whelming. i had put just a little into a bowl and sat it on my radiator and when i got out of the shower it had melted! wonderful! ive kept it there for days and it never solidified even when the heat was turned off..funny b/c when i sat it on my dresser for like 2 minutes it turned rock hard. if you don't have a radiator you could invest in a conair heated lotion dispenser (check it out on ebay). it's worth it!

i don't understand why people say this dries the skin, i disagree...this is a deeply penetrating oil that has been used for centuries by ancient tropic cultures who live in the sun but still look amazingly youthful! it penatrates the skin so it's not going to leave a greasy residue which we are all so acustomed to thinking feels "moisturizing". i know im moisturized b/c my skin doesn't flake and feel tight and has a slight glow. i'll never go back to another moisturizer! after reading all of its wonderful benefits as an antifungal, antioxidant, exfoliator, and even revs the metabolism. this can also be used as a make-up remover, hair conditioning treatment, shaving cream, etc. my jar was only $10 and is lasting me quite a while and with all of the uses...it iliminates me buying other product so not only is it cheap its cost effective. loooooooooooooove that. i apply it head to toe especially the neck area. love how silky my skin feels afterwards. my boyfriend couldn't keep his hands off me.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2008 12:18:00 PM More reviews by gracious5

Love love love this product. A friend told me about the organic coconut oil and I did some research. Will never be without it. At first I was using as a face moisturizer and after awhile, it did leave small dry patches on my skin so I just cut it down to a couple times a week. I mix a little with my lotion in the morning.

I have bad acne and have tried everything. It has noticeably helped with my acne. I slather it on as spot treatment at night and by the morning, seriously smaller or if anything, a lot calmer. I've tried the Neutrogena spot treatment and all it does is aggravate it and make my cyctic blemishes red and swollen.

One day I burned my temple with the curling iron and put the coconut oil on right away. Less than a week later and daily treatment, no scar at all! I use this to cook, as an eye make up remover, a moisturizer, for my hair and for my dogs skin too. Will never be without this!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2008 5:07:00 PM More reviews by lfrueh

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I use this to cleanse and remove makeup at night. No moisturizer needed after, even with my dry skin. It's inexpensive, smells great, is easy on the conscience and cleans beautifully. You just need to change washcloths very often, because I don't think it all rinses out. I don't use a cleanser afterward - just massage the oil in, then press a very warm wet baby washcloth to my face & wipe it off. Two or three passes and my face is clean and clear.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2007 10:15:00 AM More reviews by Kianaa

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Alohaa! Well being from Hawaii almost everyone there uses coconut oil including myself. I also eat alot of coconut, I love it...ok so when I moved here to the mainland I stopped using coconut oil, big mistake thinking that if I purchased those expensive creams it would work wonderfully..well some did but it was just too expensive and the creams would change on how it would work on my face. First when I was back home, my hair was shiny, grew quickly, clear almost dewy skin, shiny nails and my eyes seem clearer and whiter and even with all the saturated fat hype here in the mainland, I was thin as thin can be with normal cholesterol levels..maybe it was just my imagination! Living here for 15+ years my hair is not shiny as it should be, my skin is dull with acne(never ever had) and have been using eye drops like visine almost daily. Sooooooooo, went back to my coconut regimen and walah almost immediatly I was back to my normal self..my skin and hair was the first to show it lustre then everything else followed..!FOR ME THIS WORKS! I also down a teaspoon or two daily.
Mahaloz