October 24, 2014 | 985 users online

Cleansers - Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2008 6:47:00 PM More reviews by BronzeBabe18

I was looking at the coconut oil reviews on makeupalley when I realized that I had some in my fridge. Well, heck, it was Sunday and I had nothing else to do, so I figured I'd try it out. At first it was rock solid, so to soften it up, I put hot water in my bathroom sink and allowed the container to float in the water for awhile to melt part of the coconut oil. (When it's cold it solidifies and is a white chunk). I waited about 3-4 minutes, unscrewed the cap and to my delight half of it had melted and it was slightly warm :)

I slathered it on my hair and ends and twisted it up with a hairclip. I then went about my business for a half an hour. I got in the shower and washed my hair twice with a clarifying shampoo. Now my hair has dried and I can not believe how shiny it is!!! My hair is also very soft. I will definitely buy it again. I also used it to take off my eye makeup before I got in the shower and WOW. It took off my mascara and liquid eyeliner quicker than my HG jojoba! I will still use my jojoba oil for moisturizer because I heard that coconut oil dries out skin, and I have VERY dry skin in the winter. But I will keep using this for my hair!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2008 10:41:00 AM More reviews by graceface07

its the dead of winter so when i heard about using coconut oil as a moisturizer i pretty much ran to the health food store. i was looking for it in the cosmetic area until a sales lady pointed me to a food aisle where all the cooking oils were (haha). i bought the virgin coconut oil (expeller pressed) it smells very slightly of coconut, which is nice not over whelming. i had put just a little into a bowl and sat it on my radiator and when i got out of the shower it had melted! wonderful! ive kept it there for days and it never solidified even when the heat was turned off..funny b/c when i sat it on my dresser for like 2 minutes it turned rock hard. if you don't have a radiator you could invest in a conair heated lotion dispenser (check it out on ebay). it's worth it!

i don't understand why people say this dries the skin, i disagree...this is a deeply penetrating oil that has been used for centuries by ancient tropic cultures who live in the sun but still look amazingly youthful! it penatrates the skin so it's not going to leave a greasy residue which we are all so acustomed to thinking feels "moisturizing". i know im moisturized b/c my skin doesn't flake and feel tight and has a slight glow. i'll never go back to another moisturizer! after reading all of its wonderful benefits as an antifungal, antioxidant, exfoliator, and even revs the metabolism. this can also be used as a make-up remover, hair conditioning treatment, shaving cream, etc. my jar was only $10 and is lasting me quite a while and with all of the uses...it iliminates me buying other product so not only is it cheap its cost effective. loooooooooooooove that. i apply it head to toe especially the neck area. love how silky my skin feels afterwards. my boyfriend couldn't keep his hands off me.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2008 12:18:00 PM More reviews by gracious5

Love love love this product. A friend told me about the organic coconut oil and I did some research. Will never be without it. At first I was using as a face moisturizer and after awhile, it did leave small dry patches on my skin so I just cut it down to a couple times a week. I mix a little with my lotion in the morning.

I have bad acne and have tried everything. It has noticeably helped with my acne. I slather it on as spot treatment at night and by the morning, seriously smaller or if anything, a lot calmer. I've tried the Neutrogena spot treatment and all it does is aggravate it and make my cyctic blemishes red and swollen.

One day I burned my temple with the curling iron and put the coconut oil on right away. Less than a week later and daily treatment, no scar at all! I use this to cook, as an eye make up remover, a moisturizer, for my hair and for my dogs skin too. Will never be without this!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2008 5:07:00 PM More reviews by lfrueh

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I use this to cleanse and remove makeup at night. No moisturizer needed after, even with my dry skin. It's inexpensive, smells great, is easy on the conscience and cleans beautifully. You just need to change washcloths very often, because I don't think it all rinses out. I don't use a cleanser afterward - just massage the oil in, then press a very warm wet baby washcloth to my face & wipe it off. Two or three passes and my face is clean and clear.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2007 10:15:00 AM More reviews by Kianaa

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Alohaa! Well being from Hawaii almost everyone there uses coconut oil including myself. I also eat alot of coconut, I love it...ok so when I moved here to the mainland I stopped using coconut oil, big mistake thinking that if I purchased those expensive creams it would work wonderfully..well some did but it was just too expensive and the creams would change on how it would work on my face. First when I was back home, my hair was shiny, grew quickly, clear almost dewy skin, shiny nails and my eyes seem clearer and whiter and even with all the saturated fat hype here in the mainland, I was thin as thin can be with normal cholesterol levels..maybe it was just my imagination! Living here for 15+ years my hair is not shiny as it should be, my skin is dull with acne(never ever had) and have been using eye drops like visine almost daily. Sooooooooo, went back to my coconut regimen and walah almost immediatly I was back to my normal self..my skin and hair was the first to show it lustre then everything else followed..!FOR ME THIS WORKS! I also down a teaspoon or two daily.
Mahaloz

32 out of 33 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2007 2:46:00 PM More reviews by besidetheocean

I was drawn to the idea of coconut oil for my hair because I'm a sucker for anything tropical, and I love using natural and organic beauty products. I use the oil like several reviewers have suggested, by leaving it on damp hair for 30 minutes or more as a treatment, then washing it out with shampoo. When I do this and let my hair air dry it is softer than it ever gets with just shampoo and conditioner. I like the idea that coconut oil is supposed to help make your hair stronger and repair damage as well. During the summer it's also useful to put the oil in a spray bottle and use it on damp skin right out of the shower.
UPDATE: Just to be clear, the spray bottle trick works only if you use air conditioning sparingly during the summer months. If your house is too cool the coconut oil will solidify in the spray bottle. But if you're like me and your non-air conditioned bathroom is like a sauna during the summer, it will work just fine. :)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2007 4:09:00 PM More reviews by ratgirldjh

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

i use organic extra virgin coconut oil for everything!!!
for my face i use the OCM and i love it!!! first i rub some VCO in my hands til it gets warm and then massage my face for about 5 minutes. then i take a steamy washcloth and lay it on my face til it cools and do it again and then wipe all of the oil off scrubbing lightly.
since doing this i have found that i do not need to exfoliate as much as before. i think the oil softens the skin and then steaming does too and then you actually wipe off the dead and dry skin as well as oils and dirt from your pores.
i put it on my still damp face and skin after a bath.
also i eat it on my toast and take a spoonful at night before bed to help with constipation.
i will never be with out this product!!!
EDIT*** has anyone ever tried massaging VCO all over and then taking a warm bath? it works even better like this!!! you can use soap or just a loofah... but it really works wonders to make your skin super silky....
EDIT!!! i have started massaging VCO all over my hair and then letting it soak in overnight. the next day i will take a steamy hot towel (i microwave a wet towel!) and wrap my hair in it til it cools. i do this 3 times and then rinse my hair VERY good with cool water. it will still be a little greasy after this - but i do it for the next 2 days and then my hair is so soft and thick and shiny! i love doing this deep conditioning treatment EDIT: i still LOVE VCO!!! i don't think i could live without it!!!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/20/2007 12:20:00 PM More reviews by aisharouh

After reading so many reviews about coconut oil as a cleanser and the OCM method I was intrigued to try it. I first tried it over the summer but I didn't know about the OCM (Oil Cleansing Method) so I rubbed it on my face, wet a washcloth and tried to wipe it off and then splash my face with water. Whether it was the summer or the improper removal method or a combination of both, I was just not pleased and I could see a breakout about to occur so I stopped. I then read about the Oil Cleansing Method and how massaging the oil and then steaming the face with a washcloth a few times ( I wet a washcloth with warm water and then place it over my face three times, wiping my face with the washcloth after the first steam) is very important. Nevertheless I decided I would try a combination of 25% castor oil and 75% EVOO with a few drops of tea tree oil. I OCM'd with this mixture for about a week and I could tell it was clogging my pores. I then decided to stick with my DHC Cleansing Oil which never broke me out (although I was concerned that it is not as pure as other oils and the potential to strip the face of its natural oils). About 2 weeks ago I had a pretty big breakout and dryness, I think due to the change in weather, the indoor heating drying out my face and the time of the month overlapping. I picked my face and was left with a mess on my face. I tried a million things to help heal my face while also ridding it of the acne and dryness. Finally, I turned to coconut oil. I figured I had nothing to lose. I OCM'd the first few days following with 2-3 drops of Squalane as moisturizer and my skin started to look better -- clean, glowy and the places I picked started healing and the blemishes disappearing. My face still felt dry so about the third day I replaced my squalane with a little coconut oil as moisturizer. My skin LOVED it. The scabs kind of just fell off, the acne marks are fading, the other parts of my skin look glowy and moisturized but not oily and the dryness and flaking is gone. I have now been doing this for almost 2 weeks and my skin looks great! I can't believe my skin has healed this quickly. I also noticed that the coconut oil under my eyes helps with dark circles after some time of using it as cleanser or moisturizer. I only do this at night. In the morning I cleanse with a mixture of powdered milk and water, follow with some drops of squalane, sunscreen and my Everyday Minerals mineral makeup. Prior to applying the mineral makeup I put concealer on the acne marks, follow with a light dusting of mineral makeup and I don't look cakey or as if I'm trying to over-cover bad skin. I will continue to use coconut oil as cleanser and occasionally as moisturizer as needed. I will update if there are any changes.
UPDATE: My skin started to dry out again. I think it is the change to the cold weather and the hot water from OCM'ing. I have a hunch that OCM'ing in the winter might be too harsh and, though a good cleanser, I would rather not dry out my skin more in the winter time. For now I have switched to a gentle cleanser (Professional Solutions Rose Hip Seed Cleanser) but may return to coconut oil in the summer. I still use coconut oil as an eye makeup remover and eye moisturizer.

UPDATE: Now that spring is here and the winter is no longer so drying, I am back to using Coconut Oil as a makeup remover and I LOVE IT! This time however, I do wash with a gentle cleanser (Professional Solutions Rose Hip Seed Cleanser) after removing makeup with coconut oil. I love it!

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2007 9:53:00 PM More reviews by boogiedisease

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is the only stuff that fixes the occasional bouts of keratosis pilaris on my arms. I've tried a ton of products for this condition that haven't delivered (as promised).
Also works great in the hair-- just a small amount for shine. I've not tried it anywhere else, but I'm already quite content with the uses I've found for it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2007 3:23:00 PM More reviews by illuminate1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using EVCO for removing my eye makeup for several weeks now after finding several other eye makeup removers less than satisfying. I use the Sheshido mascara base and waterproof mascara, not to mention I used MAC fluidlines to line with! Anyone who has used these know it can be difficult to remove. The coconut oil has cut the time I spend getting the mascara and all off. It has made my eyelashes soft and healthy looking even with all the waterproofing mascara I use. I like to sit some oil on the eyelashes for a few moments then take a cottonball and wipe it all off. I also use this product in my hair, doing a hot oil treatment about once a week before I wash. I have received lots of shiny compliments lately and that usually only happens after I dye my hair. For me, this is a dream come true makeup remover and cheap to boot!