December 21, 2014 | 1822 users online

Liquid - Shiseido - Sun Protection Liquid Foundation SPF 42 PA+++ [DISCONTINUED & REFORMULATED]

PSA: Product was recently reformulated.

Product Info: Newly reformulated, this full-coverage, liquid foundation leaves a flawless, transfer-resistant, dewy and luminous finish that lasts for hours. Resistant against water and oil. PABA-free.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2008 12:34:00 AM More reviews by Chrissys16

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Love this! Doesn't break me out & doesn't separate & float away when my skin gets a bit oily (in fact, my skin is a bit LESS oily when using this). Does a great job covering the red blotchy parts of my face, like the broken capillaries near my nose, and has great buildable coverage without caking (will cover the worst blemishes). BEST OF ALL, DOESN'T TURN ORANGE!! Orange skin is my personal pet peeve and biggest phobia/gross-out, and being a PPP (I wear the SP-10) with uber-greasy skin, finding on that doesn't "turn on me" midway through the day is a big deal. The only negative to this foundation is that, as some of the other reviewers mentioned, unless you are into a porcelain doll/Morticia Adams/Geisha girl aesthetic, it is NOT the most attractive when photographed with flash photography. I think it's something to do with the titanium dioxide in it. I still love it and would still buy it again but will probably wear my left-over Giorgio Armani Matte Silk when I am going out with friends at night and I think I might be photographed.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2008 12:53:00 AM More reviews by wink89

I'm loving this so far. It's a bit of a watery consistency when it comes out of the bottle, but it covers well without looking too masky and it looks very natural. lasts quite a while.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2008 10:16:00 PM More reviews by KittySkyfish

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The finish is matte and is very transfer-resistant, offers lots of coverage plus the sun protection is excellent. Also the packaging is perfect - a squeeze bottle that allows the perfect amount of foundation to be dispensed, plus the bottle contains a plastic bead (similar to a nail polish bottle) to ensure thorough mixing when shaken. This does dry down fast so a quick application is necessary. I find this works well when mixed in with the Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF 55 - I just place the normal amount of sunblock in my hand, then add the foundation, blend together, then apply to my face. Afterwards, I touch up any areas that need more coverage with a drop of the foundation. The resulting finish is very natural and smooth. However....there are several downsides to this sunscreen foundation. One is that there isn't a good color for me. I'm paler than the lightest shade, SP10, which is true orange on me. (I'm Olive Fair in EM's mineral foundations.) Also, this foundation can be drying, and I've noticed that this foundation can look heavy if it's not thinned out, and the drying effect draws attention to my fine wrinkles. So, I will only recommend this for those with normal to oily skin. Dry skins would find this too drying and aging-looking.

continued >>

rated 3 of 5 on 1/22/2008 9:59:00 PM More reviews by MeganKJ

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a decent foundation - definitely above average. Good coverage, good color match (and I'm pretty fair), and I appreciate the SPF level. Hasn't done much to alleviate the shine, though, so I'm going back to MUFE Mat Velvet (at least until my Peaches & Cream arrives! YAY!).

rated 2 of 5 on 1/21/2008 7:57:00 PM More reviews by Kianaa

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Tried this foundation before thinking that because I am asian the colors should match..wrong...it almost looks like a kabuki mask and it feels very dry almost like calamine lotion..this was a return for me..did not work for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2008 3:52:00 PM More reviews by gixowned

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Wow. I love this product. For starters, I am oily/acne-prone, but I use taz and benzaclin/duac daily, so while my skin is naturally very oily, it is sometimes sensitive, confused, and v. occasionally flakey. I am a true NC25/C2+ in MAC, meaning my skin has very strong yellow undertones. The problem I have had with most d/s foundations is that they don't really match my skin tone. Most lighter ones could match, but are too light. Most darker ones are too brown/pink. Like most of the other yellow-based girls, this foundation is fabulous and matches me very well. I ended up with SP40, which is pretty perfect. I was originally sold SP30, which is even more yellow than 40, but it was a bit too light (maybe NC20 type). SP50, as others have mentioned is more golden and matches NC30/C3 types well. As others have mentioned, the colors are not exactly a color progression - they do mix slightly different undertones (i believe SP10 or 20 was a bit pink, SP30 is yellow, SP40 is neutral but works with yellows, SP50 is golden, didn't explore the rest). For those who may not know, this does need to be removed with an oil cleanser. I'm not sure I'd trust this with 100% of my s/s protection for real outdoor days, since I'd probably have to wear more than I want (which would give some pretty serious full coverage). If I could, I'd just wear shiseido's cream/lotion spf 55 under this. At this time (mid-winter), the alcohol in the spf 55 is too much for my rx'd skin. I do wear another s/s under this currently. As much as the alcohol in the spf 55 is too much, the alcohol in this 42 foundation has not been irritating. I did just start using this foundation recently, so I'll have to see how things go. However, I had to rave about this for others, especially those who enjoy revlon colorstay. This product is similar with a nice coverage that is very natural looking but can really camoflouge and even out the skin tone, plus it gives you real protection and all-day staying power.

31 out of 31 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2008 7:52:00 PM More reviews by chajy

Love, Love, Love!
This is great ss and foundation all in one package! It's not greasy, easily absorbs in my skin. Shade perfectly match my yellow undertones, best of all I don't need to use powder over it because it can look really cakey. It gives you fresh and dewy natural look with perfect coverage. Make sure you take this off at night with cleansing oil or a best cleanser, I sometimes take this off with PC Skin balancing cleanser with washcloth.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2007 9:37:00 PM More reviews by katebosworthfan

WOW what can I say?? This is even better than my Sebastian Trucco foundation!! The colour match is PERFECT for my asian skintone. I believe Shisiedo's colours are catered for more asian yellow undertoned skins. Sweat resistant! I use it for everyday use even when not swimming because it's got such great lasting power! Living in hot and humid Sydney this is a really great foundation! Doesn't break me out at all.Will keep on rebuying!!

Edit: Do not wear if you're gonna be in photos because you'll look WHITE! It absolutely annoys me...

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2007 12:23:00 PM More reviews by barbiH

2014 REFORMULATION: Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 1.9%, Titanium Dioxide 8.3%; Inactive Ingredients: Water, Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Isododecane, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Cyclomethicone, Sd Alcohol 40-B, Peg/Ppg-19/19 Dimethicone, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Bis-Butyldimethicone Polyglyceryl-3, Peg/Ppg-14/7 Dimethyl Ether, Saxifraga Sarmentosa Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sophora Angustifolia Root Extract, Aluminum Hydroxide, Aluminum Distearate, Alumina, Isostearic Acid, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Trisodium Edta, Silica, Polysilicone-2, Alcohol, Sodium Magnesium Silicate, Hydrated Silica, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Tocopherol, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Bht, Syzygium Jambos Leaf Extract, Hydrogen Dimethicone, Tin Oxide, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Mica. UPDATE(06/10/13): I called Shiseido directly to confirm there's been no change in the formulation of this foundation. It is the SAME, except for the fact that the TiO2 is now at 4.1%. The spf remains at 42. Shiseido said it was to confirm to the new sunscreen regulations. I will add that it doesn't seem to keep my skin as matte as the previous, higher TiO2 version. I will update at a later date.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: After several years using MMU's and having my HG (Jane Iredale Pure Pressed reformulated and ruined), I've turned back to the world of liquid MU. After just four days of using this, I think it's LOVE ♥ And thanks to some of the great reviews here in P'ville, I found my shade on the first try! I'm using SP050 (I'm a MAC C3, PX 'champagne' and Jane Iredale 'warm sienna.)

INGREDIENTS: Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide, 13.9% Inactive Ingredients: Cyclomethicone, water, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Talc, Dipropyleneglycol, dimethicone copolyol, phytostearyl/octyldodecyl lauroyl glutamate, zinc myristate, tocopheryl acetate, stearyl glycyrrhetinate, thotaurine, octyl methoxycinnamate, isostearic acid, aluminum distearate, aluminum hydroxide, calcium stearate, triethoxycaprylylsilane, glycerin, plysilicone-2, sodium citrate, palmitic acid, tocopherol, distearyldimonium chloride, trisodium EDTA, isopropyl alcohol, BHT, methylparaben, fragrance, iron oxides. continued >>

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/24/2007 10:25:00 PM More reviews by lovemua

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Great foundation for oily skin, awesome staying power and looks beautiful and natural. However, I would warn against wearing it when taking flash photos as it turns out white which is annoying. In general, it is my HG for everyday, day-time foundation and I love it.