September 2, 2014 | 1911 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - NAKED Basics

rated 4 of 5 on 4/11/2013 4:14:00 AM More reviews by Soffy

So much has been said already so I'll summarize. For reference I am NC10-15 with warm undertones, green eyes, blonde hair and tendency to looking tired.

Good; This palette contains both a perfect highlightshade (Venus) and a great black that I have found works well for both tightlining, eyeliner and normal shadow. The pigment in all shadows appears true to pan for me.

Bad; the shadows *are* slightly chalky/powdery (most prominent with the mattes, Venus is a bit creamier) and therefore product can go to waste. I use the shadows over UDPP and have had a bit of trouble with blending them. Luckily they work well together as the traditional "lid-crease-highlight" combination so if you're used to applying eyeshadow the dry texture shouldn't be any *big* problem.

Long story short, it's a very convenient palette (I hate singles) but you could get shadows that are better quality/more buttery. I would buy again because I like the backaging and having highlighter+lid colour+liner in the same palette.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/11/2013 3:28:00 AM More reviews by melissamberry

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Other Eyes: Brown

Not a bad product persay, but after getting over the hype it's just meeeh to me. Quality of the shadows is pretty nice, in regards to blending and pigmentation. When I tap my brush on it though, a lot of product becomes loose, more than I need. Not really a big deal. My gripe with this is the assortment of shadows. I really only use Naked 2, faint, and sometimes Walk of Shame. I have enough blacks, and Foxy is in my Naked 2. Also, it's really hard to open.

I don't regret buying it, but if it ran out, I would just find a MAC eyeshadow similar to naked2.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2013 12:33:00 AM More reviews by HeartsConsent

I bought this a couple weeks ago, and I absolutely loved it. The colors are very vibrant and you don't have to use very much. I didn't like that it was so pricey, but then again, it comes with the quality. The packaging was really cute and soft. I wished I could have gotten the bigger palettes, but I didn't have the money for it. It's the basics and they're very useful. The eyeshadows also feel really soft, which I love.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2013 12:19:00 AM More reviews by staciarose22

I've had some time to work with this and compare it to other matte palettes. I do not feel it's worth buying. It's simply not a good matte palette for the price. Urban Decay is relying on the people who loved both Naked palettes to buy it. There are too many light shades, no variety of mid tone shades, and the darkest shadows are tough to work with (much like a stubborn MAC matte). That's because pigments can change the texture of a formula drastically. I don't doubt that some people love it because it's convenient for them, but I do doubt that they're using all of these shades on a regular basis. The Sonia Kashuk and Lorac Pro are better, the SK is cheaper, and both have more variety for your money. Some people have also mentioned their shadows are popping out of the pan, and this is a cheap plastic case for almost $30. They kept it at $27 because that price sounds better, but with taxes it's basically $30.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/10/2013 1:34:00 AM More reviews by nishanarayan

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Really well priced. The colours are well pigmented and you dont need a lot of product to build up. Blends well, lasts long, even without a primer underneath.

Nice compact packaging. The only problem I had was that the colours were a bit too cool for my liking - this is just a personal thing due to my skin tone, I would prefer warmer tones. very good eyeshadows qualitywise though, and colours are just a matter of opinion.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/9/2013 4:30:00 PM More reviews by dc1407

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'd used my cousin's Naked 2 Palette & I wanted a Naked Palette, but for me personally, I wanted a palette that contained less shimmery shadows and more mattes.

Cue the Naked Basics Palette. At 20, it's almost half of what the Naked palettes cost and there are only 6 colours, but for me that's a plus because it's compact enough to fit in a clutch.

The palette itself... it's almost exactly the same size as my iPhone 4S and is perfect for travel or girls (or guys, let's not discriminate now) who are constantly on-the-go. The feel of the palette is gorgeous - it's almost like a smooth rubbery feel. When Urban Decay say the palette feels suede-like, they mean it! And normally I'm not bothered about what the packaging's made from.

This palette features a brand new "Pigment Infusion System", which gives great colour payoff, a silky soft buttery texture, great blendability and, from experience, at least 9 hours of staying power (that's the maximum I've worn them for, but have no doubt they'd last longer).

It is a neutral palette and some of the shadows are identical if not comparable to some of the colours from the original 2 Naked Palettes. So if you already have both, I'd save my money unless I wanted the shades in a compact so it'd be more travel-friendly. If you have a lot of neutral MAC shadows, chances are you'll have very similar colours to these. I'll give you a quick rundown...

+ Venus is the only shade that's not completely matte. It's a slightly off-white shade with a touch of shimmer. Perfect for browbone and inner-corner highlighting. In a pinch, you can leave your highlighter at home and also use this on your nose, high cheekbones and cupids bow. Doesn't look dissimilar to MAC Shroom in the pan, but when swatched side-by-side, Shroom isn't as white. The most similar colour from the Naked palettes in my opinion is Virgin from the Naked palette, although Virgin is more pink.

+ Foxy is a matte cream/beige colour. It isn't a new shade - it also comes in the Naked 2 palette. Comparable colour-wise to MAC's Ricepaper, although Ricepaper isn't a matte shade.

+ W.O.S is a pale, nude matte. Walk of Shame is also available in the Urban Decay Build-Your-Own palette, but interestingly, the Build-Your-Own palette version isn't as pink - probably due to the brand new Pigment Infusion System. Comparable in colour to MAC Blanc Type, although Blanc Type is not as pigmented as Walk of Shame.

+ Naked 2 is a taupey coloured matte. The closest shade from the Naked palettes is obviously Naked from the Naked palette, although Naked seems a touch pinker. MAC Wedge is a similar but slightly warmer colour than Naked 2.

+ Faint is a warm brown matte and a dead-ringer for MAC Espresso. The closest shade to Faint in the Naked palettes is probably Buck from the Naked palette, however you will notice a big difference in colour - Faint is a lot darker than Buck.

+ Crave is a dark brown/almost black matte. Very similar to Blackout from the Naked 2 palette. Also comparable to MAC Typographic.

No brush is included in this, but since I usually use more than one brush anyway, I tend to use my own brushes when it comes to palettes. Might be annoying for some of you who want a truly travel friendly compact. The only thing I can suggest is to buy a small eyeshadow brush.

All in all, this palette is a good neutral palette and you can make it work. We asked for more matte shades and that's exactly what we got! However, I have a feeling they may tweak it & we may end up with a Naked Basics 2? Since some of the shades are a little too similar for a palette that only has 6 colours. Whilst this palette isn't perfect, it's a good starting point. Either way, it's a good quality palette that you can easily create a range of looks. Where else would you beat 6 full-size good-quality matte shadows for 20?

Great size, great value for money, great pigmentation, great formula and it has a mirror in it. Win.

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/9/2013 2:24:00 PM More reviews by cahall2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This palette is exactly what the name says: basics. I like it and find myself using it quite often, but there are pros and cons.
PROS
- like most UD shadows, these are lovely to work with. Blendable, long lasting (I use a primer, but even the times I haven't these shadows have stood up well), and nicely pigmented
- unlike a lot of matte shadows, these aren't at all chalky. So that's a big +
- the packaging is nice - compact and small, closes tightly so it's a great palette to take with you, especially if you want to change from a day look to a night one since it has some deeper shades.

CONS
- I think this palette probably wouldn't work well for those with darker skin. The shades work well for me (although two of the lighter shades are a bit too similar for such a small palette imo) but I am fair to medium in skin tone. The two deeper shades (faint and crave) would probably work great for anyone, but the three lighter shades might not show up as different on darker skinned users. Just FYI
- Fallout like crazy when applying these shadows. It's worth it, but just a warning.

I said that I would repurchase because I do like this palette and use it several times a week, but honestly by the time I hit pan on this (if I ever do - they are pretty pigmented!) I will probably try a new neutrals palette.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/9/2013 3:06:00 AM More reviews by leenyweeny

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

My first proper eyeshadow pallette! I was skeptical of getting the naked pallettes as i prefer buying single eyeshadows that I really use. The shadows are well pigmented and easy to blend. Packaging is cute and sleek with a mirror that fits both of your eyes while you're using it. I only wish it comes with a tiny brush that will make it perfect for travelling

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2013 11:12:00 AM More reviews by Lorebels1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

At 51 with hooded eyes I stick to matte products which seem harder to find these days. Everything seems to have some glimmer or sparkle to it and that just highlights my eyelids in the wrong way. Not only are these beautiful base colors that can be used by all complexions (I'm blonde with fair skin and my daughter is brunette with a light tan skin tone), they are well pigmented and go on easily with a light touch. I think it is a bit expensive but it is worth it for the quality of the shadow. It works well as a shadow and wet it makes an excellent liner.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2013 8:19:00 AM More reviews by Boxerface

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The best matte shadow product on the planet.

Love this shadow combination. It is your primary infrastructure to your eyes. Hence, the name is Naked Basics. You can create simple, or elegant or dramatic or classic or powerful eyes or truly any style you want with this essential primary base. If you are in your 40s looking for no shimmer or sparkle and a shadow that will enhance your eyes this is IT!!!! You do not need to be a talented make up artist to create beautiful eyes. There are no sparkles or any inappropriate glitter that would detract from the eye. A true to form matte finish that lasts.

PROS:
Lasting Power
Buttery soft texture blends beautifully on my lids
Does not leave creases. (I have hooded eyes I know crease issues)
Colors work for any skin tone Cool, Warm, Dark, Light, .. works!!!!
I use this as an eyeliner that is how great it works.
I got mine for $15.00 a steal as a singe UD shadow is $18

CONS
Tiny! This is a small compact not like NAKED2
I wish there were more colors... I know this is their basic pack but even one shimmer copper would be wonderful...Okay I am asking too much\.

Will I buy this again? Heck YES! And I have already bought.....

Suspect
Chopper
Tease (this was one too much like faint)
Hijack (daughter just stole this from me as she loves it)
Shattered