Urban Decay NAKED Basics

4.4

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 8/12/2013 5:36:00 PM

Bought this for my sister and she loves it. You can't really go wrong with the colours due to them being neutral. You can wear them with many different lip colours and you can use them as subtle or intense as you like. Eyeshadows are awesome quality, even better when used with a primer. Packaging is very nice and easy to take around with. Little bit pricey but I do think is worth it. Great as a gift for someone who wants to try out using eyeshadows!:)

on 8/8/2013 8:57:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Total HG. I'm pregnant and have a toddler, so my time spent in front of a mirror is limited. I use this palette to set my concealer, brighten brow bone, and even out my eyelids. It will polish you right up! Love it. Great staying power, smooth texture, and will last.

on 8/6/2013 5:39:00 PM

Great colors for an everyday eye look also to do your eyebrows using FAINT. The packaging is perfect not to tiny or big just the right size to put it in your bag and just go. The price is good too not too over priced.

I don't hate this, I don't love it. It needs a primer because these babies are lazy and won't show up without any help. The range of shadow are ok, I wish it didn't come with so many light tones.

The product is a bit wasteful in the sense that I get so much...fallout(?) when I tap my brush on it. I've used many brushes and so much product becomes loose and I have to blow it away no matter the brush. A shame because it's not cheap! I love the packaging. It's even Teeenier in person! And soft :D the mirror is actually pretty decent for on-the-go :D

If you have the money, check out. If not, save up or find something cheaper, it's not too special.

on 8/3/2013 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse

I know I'll be in the minority here, but this is just so-so for me. I used it a few times and then put it in my stash. Two colors work well for me - Venus and Naked 2. I would buy those individually but I wouldn't buy the palette again. The lighter colors, except for Venus, are chalky and don't show up well on me. The others are unremarkable (except for Naked 2). I would probably take the palette with me while traveling just because it's compact; other than that, I don't see me using it very much. I would rather pay $18 for each individual color I wanted and would use.

on 8/1/2013 9:26:00 PM

I love the colours, and the packaging is fine, but the product is very flyaway! You can lose a lot of product when loading a dry brush. A primer is an absolute must in order to maintain the colours and keep them from creasing.
There is no applicator included, which doesn't bother me, since I usually throw them out and use my own brushes anyway.
There are 6 natural colours: 5 matte and 1 white shimmer. I would have liked all matte colours, since they're harder to find. I love the black ("Crave") it's so inky! It works as a subtle, smokey eyeliner. Love it. I would repurchase Crave on its own. "Walk of Shame", a pink toned beige, is my other favourite at the moment.

on 7/31/2013 12:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I love this little palette! As a college student it's perfect for a daytime eye that has a little depth as well as a moderate to very Smokey eye. The shimmery Venus is a nice highlight and Faint is perfect to brush into your crease, I like to use WOS on my lid to brighten them and contrast the crease,and having a nice matte black like Crave shadow also comes in handy to smoke or your eye or use as a liner. I'll repurchase when I hit pan!

on 7/30/2013 4:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

CLICK CONTINUE TO SEE SWATCHES AND COMPARISON WITH OTHER SHADES!

~~ SHADES ~~

VENUS:
A shimmery/shiny off-white with slightly warm undertone. No glitter, just kind of shiny.
DUPES: Virgin in Naked 1 and Bootycall in Naked 2 but less in-your-face-shimmery than both (they look similar when on, but different in the pan), UD Kinky except Kinky is matte.
USES: Wash over eyelid, highlight, base.
RATING: 4/5 this doesn't have the best pigmentation but I guess that wasn't the goal - I think it's purpose is to give a sheer sheen more than full on white.

FOXY:
A pale yellow matte, also included in Naked 2. Matches my skintone exactly, which is NC05 or NC10 - MUFE Mat Velvet in 15 matches me.
DUPES: I think this is a quite unique shade and I couldn't really come up with any dupes.
USES: Highlight, base, wash over eyelid, blending out darker shades and - for me - instead of concealer or for setting concealer, since it matches my skin tone and gives more coverage than a powder.
RATING: 3/5 not the best pigmentation, I love the shade though because it matches my skin tone and will reach for it often.

W.O.S: A matte pale pinky/rosy nude.
DUPES: Similar to Sin (included in Naked 1) without the shimmer. MAC Vanilla is lighter.
USES: Highlight (depending on your skin tone), base, wash over lid, to blend out darker shades.
RATING: 4/5 great pigmentation and nice shade but not something I would reach for.

NAKED 2: A matte cool taupe.
DUPES: The shade naked in Naked 1 is similar.
USES: Wash over lid, base for a brown smokey eye, blend out darker harsh lines, contouring - since this is cool it's very good for contouring of cheek bones and nose. Highlighting if you have a dark skin tone.
RATING: 5/5 this is so lovely because it works PERFECTLY for contouring if you are pale - it's not orange at all and light enough.

FAINT: A matte neutral (leaning cool) brown.
DUPES: MAC Espresso, Wedge or Charcoal brown, or UD Buck which is in Naked 1.
USES: Base for a smokey eye to make it less harsh than a full black smokey eye, contouring for darker skin tones. Can be used as a soft liner to make lashes look fuller.
RATING: 5/5 this is the best brown I have ever tried - comparing my other favourite browns this has so much better pigmentation.

CRAVE: A matte black with brown undertones and microshimmer - the micro shimmer is not noticable at all if you're not looking for it particularly.
DUPES: Any black eyeshadow.
USES: Smokey eye, eye liner, contouring for very dark skin.
RATING: 4/5 this is the best black eyeshadow I have ever used, and I have used Sugarpill Bulletproof, MAC Carbon and many more. This has the best color payoff and never looks grey/blue like many black eyeshadows can - this is because it doesn't have blue undertones. EDIT: I found Make Up Geek Corrupt is my HG black eyeshadow, though this comes next.

~~ PACKAGING ~~
About the same size as a pack of long cigarettes, just a bit smaller than an iPhone 3, four depotted MAC eyeshadows in a row, the width of a toilet paper roll, little shorter than a can of soda - you get it :)

Also, I was kind (stupid) enough to throw this into the wall to see if the eyeshadows would survive - and it did. Yeah, I do anything for makeupalley!

A little hard to open - but that's better than it opening itself in a bag when you're on a trip, right? I can't say that about the Naked 1 palette which only has a magnet to close the lid... It's made of really hard plastic and you don't have to worry and breaking anything.

~~ OPINION ON THE RANGE OF SHADES ~~
I kind of agree with other reviewers that this palette don't need two off white shades - I realize they wanted to appeal both cool toned and warm toned people, since one is yellow and one is pink, but seriously - they could have made one more neutral. They look almost the same when on the eyelid. There are more shades they could have put instead.

Also, this is obviously made for light skin, which is a little sad. They could have included more people in the palette by making it for both pale and dark skin, instead of putting TWO light shades in two different undertones. That's just what I think.

~~ CONCLUSION ~~
This is still a very usable palette for me personally, and the quality is really good. I love the size, that it's easy to bring with you and that it's easy to create everyday looks and evening looks with this.

continued >>

on 7/29/2013 6:19:00 PM

LOVE!Really perfect colors&quality..A must have!For basic but elegant look...(esp. work,school,interviews etc)

on 7/29/2013 4:42:00 PM

Now i don't want to hate on this product because i don't completely hate it! But, i'm not in love with it either! loll I find the packaging cute, it's small, fits in a purse, great to travel with. But what i do not like about it is, the colors don't really appear on the skin, you really have to apply an eyelid primer, or concealer to really make the color show. As for the brown and black color in the pallet they are quite pigmented but i still wouldn't repurchase this just because it is pricey and I can most probably find the same colors in drug store pallets.

- KaysOpinion

Popular Palettes

Contour Kit
NAKED
The Nudes
NAKED3

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Simple Daily Makeup Tutorial (Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette) by Anna Boroshok

Top Rated Urban Decay Products