Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream SPF 35

3.5

on 6/7/2012 1:34:00 PM

Ever since I've heard the buzz about BB creams, I've been dying to try one. I finally bought the Smashbox one, after a salesclerk at Sephora suggested it over the other brands. I have fair to medium skin, with no problems. I don't usually wear foundation because I don't need it, so dropping 50 bucks on this was a little painful, but I had to try it. I've since learned that, for me, the best way to apply it was straight after moisturizing my skin: it goes on so smoothly and evenly in comparison to when I don't moisturize. It really evens out my skin tone and gives it a dewy glow without making it look greasy, and it compliments my blush perfectly. A little goes a long way, so I know it'll last me a while, which I'm grateful for because of the price. The only factor, besides the price, is that I've yet to notice any improvement with my skin, although I was blessed with a pretty good complexion so I have no idea if that's why I haven't seen any difference. I really love that it has a high SPF, another reason I've been applying it daily. All in all, I really enjoy the product, the packaging itself is a no muss, no fuss type of deal and it does what it advertises. I just wish the price was a bit lower. The fact that it was only 10 bucks cheaper than the Dior BB cream did not sit well with me.

on 6/6/2012 10:06:00 PM

I want to like this, I really do, but I just don't. I haven't noticed improvement in my skin (one of the "benefits" of a BB cream), and I don't think it provides very much coverage. It's nice when my skin is a little tanner (I bought medium-light) and my complexion has no problems, but when I'm paler and have a couple problem areas it does nothing. I also think it makes me feel oily as the day goes by. It blends in nicely but after a while it practically disappears, NOT what I paid for!

Not a bad product but for the price but not great, I won't buy it again.

on 6/6/2012 6:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I got a sample of this at Sephora in the color Light. I have never tried another BB cream, and now I will never need to! It blended very smoothly into my skin and looks very natural and even. It did not, however, cover blemishes very well, but this was to be expected due to the light coverage a BB cream offers. The only downside to this was the $39 price tag. This product will not become a staple in my collection by any means because it's a tad pricey, but I love it nevertheless and would repurchase!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This is the first bb cream I have tried and I love it. It gives a light to medium coverage and a very natural look to the skin. With my concealer and powder i think it gives me a medium coverage.
What drew me to this particular bb cream was the claim to control oil. It controls my extremely oily skin and lasts all day when set with a powder. I love the soft matte finish it gives to my skin, it gives my skin a healthy glow without looking to dewy or oily.
I was really hesitant to buy the bb cream because the shade range isn't very good, I have the palest skin and was worried the fair woud be to dark on me. The fair shade is a true fair shade and matches my skin perfectly, It is not to yellow or pink undertoned either!
The consistency is very thick which made it a bit difficult to blend compared to a tinted moisturiser but I found the perfect way to apply this bb cream is with a wet makeup sponge. I like to set my bb cream with my Mac Mineralise Skin Finish Natural which gives a but more coverage and makes it last all day long.
I was pleasantly surprised when I took the bb cream off at night how soft my skin felt and with continual use it has made my skin baby soft!! I love the fact it also has SPF 35 but the bb cream does smell like sunscreen. It doesn't bother me because it's not a strong unpleasant smell and you can only smell it when applying the bb cream.
The price!!! I payed $54.95 in Australia!! I would have given it 5 stars if it wasn't so expensive. When I got it in the mail I was so shocked how small the bb cream was for $54.95. But I would purchase it again because it's the best foundation I have ever purchased. Overall I think it's a great product whether you use it as a light foundation or under your foundation as a primer I think it is a great product.

on 6/5/2012 9:11:00 PM

The shade "light" is the only face makeup to match me perfectly!! Too bad this bb cream isn't for my dry skin. It isn't moisturizing at all and has a thick consistency. Still on the hunt for the perfect face MU :(

At first I really liked this product because it is a nice thicker consistency and blends quite well. But after several uses I was finding it showed my flaky skin bits around my chin, upper lip and around my nose!! Ugh!! Even my husband pointed it out at the grocery store because the lighting there is super bright. He was trying to pick off the dead skin. LOL!! I like trying new products and I was using Dr Jart BB cream but it was too white for my skin but covered well. I figured with a North American brand I was sure to find a similar experience with a north American skin tone (even tho I'm Asian...but I am not paler than pale.) I find Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer in bisque is perfect for my skin and doesn't exaggerate any dry spots. But I was wanting a little more coverage...but less than foundation. I won't be getting this BB cream again. And it smells of SPF pretty bad too.

on 6/2/2012 9:01:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

In my quest for the perfect BB Cream, Smashbox has not afforded perfection for my skin type. Here's the story: I've been trying many BB creams before making a final decision to purchase. (FYI--Boscia is the one for me). On a whim, I figured I would try this out. While in Nordstrom, one of the Smashbox S/A's gave me a sample in the "Light" tint. As I had tried the "Fair" and the "light" on my hand, I mentioned that the light was far too yellow for my skin. She said. "No it's not"...and gave me this light sample. First of all, I know my coloring. This "light" just wasn't for me. My skin looked jaundiced as though I was on a 20-year bender. Not a good look--especially for a woman in her 50's. Secondly, this is not as hydrating as the Dr. Jart or the Boscia (sorry for the poor spelling). My skin is very dry and I really need a super-hydrating product. Application is "meh". It doesn't go on as well as the other BB creams I've tried. Look..I realize very much that what may work for others may or may not work for me--and visa versa. It all depends on your skin's characteristics and your coloring. Smashbox BB cream just is not a good choice if your skin is very fair, freckled, dry..AND shall I add "mature"? I did give it 3 lipsticks on the price because I don't think it is any more expensive than other BB cremes that I've tried. Also, I don't think the packaging is bad either. This just does not work for me. Thank you for reading this review and have a wonderful weekend!

on 5/27/2012 11:50:00 PM

I love this product. It is expensive but I am saving money not having to purchase a separate moisturizer, primer, foundation and sunblock...this has all of these items in one package.

I tried the garnier bb cream and it made me break out plus I didn't like the greasy feeling it left on my skin. Smashbox leaves a silky matte finish that is easy to apply and doesn't require much product. A pea size drop on each of my cheeks, forehead and half a pea size on my nose and chin does the job. It lasts all day and looks fresh and natural.

I didn't think I'd find something to replace my laura mercier tinted moisturizer, but I certainly did! It has found a permanent home in my makeup bag.

on 5/20/2012 9:28:00 PM

I got a sample of this in Light and really wish they had the Light/Medium in stock. Kept shine away all day! Texture was great and didn't make me feel like I was wearing anything. Definitely need to get a hold of Light/Medium. I just wish you got a little more product for the $39.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

i feel like i can't give this 5 stars simply because i haven't tried enough bb creams to compare it to, but i absolutely love this product. am already hoarding it because i don't ever want to run out! i'm a never-leave-the-house-without-a-little-makeup girl, though i do like a light hand and a very natural look. tinted moisturizers have been a standby for me, though i always wished i could get a little bit more coverage.

enter smashbox bb cream! this cream looks gorgeously natural, gives my dry skin a beautiful glow, and adds enough hydration that my skin feels lovely. it's easy to build for more coverage, so i can often skip concealer unless i have a breakout that needs something more heavy-duty.

love this!