Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream SPF 35

3.5

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this is light/medium, it blends pretty well but is slightly orange on my NW25 skin. I only have the garnier BB cream to compare this to, but I honestly love this product. Not greasy at all, slightly moisturizing, not matte but not too dewy either. I have to blend this in sections, and it doesn't cover all imperfections, but it definitely evens out my skin tone and redness. The biggest downside for me is the price($39 for one ounce), but a little does go a long way so I feel like it will last a while. This doesn't replace foundation for me but I do reach for it when I'm in a hurry, just running to the store or don't feel like fooling with brushes and foundation.

on 6/13/2012 10:17:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This is truly a holy grail product for me, I'm 21, male, olive medium skin tone, some acne scars, and combination skin. I've been looking for a product like this forever! I love that this contains SPF 35, plant extracts, anti-aging peptides, and that it covers without looking cakey. The use this with this with the smashbox light primer and set it with mac mineralized skin finish. I love this. The price is a bit steep but it is an amazing product. I would like to mention that the sunscreen in this product does not adequately provide protection from uva rays so wear a broad spectrum sunscreen underneath if your going out in the sun.

on 6/9/2012 8:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I have been wanting to try BB Creams since it became popular with YouTube makeup gurus. Not wanting to buy from Ebay I was glad when Smashbox created their own line. I bought the Light/Medium shade at Sephora and tried it on several times.

I wanted to like this product because I paid $40 for this bottle but it has failed on me repeatedly.

It flaked on my skin even with primer. The flaking looked disgusting and was so embarrassing. I had a few meetings and people pointed out that my make up was melting or that I looked like I'm peeling.

It did not completely covered my imperfections. I still had to use a concealer. I thought BB creams are meant to be an all-in-one base for face.

The worst part is that I feel this sting on my skin after a few minutes of application (with or without a primer). After an hour of it on my face, I would develop this unbearable rash across my face and chin - like a sunburn. It hurts a lot and itches like crazy that I have to wash off all my make up. I am left with no choice but to go make up free until I the allergy goes away.

This was a complete waste of my money.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I think that a lot of disappointment in various BB Creams has come from the hype surrounding them. They will not change your life or even your skin; or at least the domestic ones won't. I haven't tried the import products myself however. As far as this product goes it has a lot of great positives but some pretty bad negatives as well. To me (and to many others judging from the boards on here and Sephora) this is more or less a tinted moisturizer; I typically use Laura Mercier SPF 20 when I wear tinted moisturizer (usually on the hotter days of summer when I plan on being outside a lot). Being that I find the two products to more or less serve the same purpose I can't help but compare the two...here's how they stacked up:

Price: Laura Mercier is the winner. At Sephora.com 1.5 oz of this product is sold for $42 vs 1 oz sold of Sephora BB Cream for $39. An extra 50% of product for $3? Yes please!

Look: Toss up. Neither one of them provide the amount of coverage I like for just an every day look; hence I just use this type of deal outdoors on really warm California summer days. I like to mix it with Nars Illuminator in Orgasm and apply Bare Minerals Foundation in light amounts over it for a more matte look and of course Bare Minerals Mineral Veil over all of it for an even more mattifying effect.

Sun Protection: This is where the Smashbox BB is the big winner. SPF 35 vs SPF 20.

Overall Feel: I have to say I like the Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer a lot better. It's a much "lighter" feel when applied vs the Smashbox which I can definitely feel on my face.

All in all I'm seriously considering taking this product back and exchanging it for the Dr. Jart BB SPF 45 sold at Sephora. Pretty much the only reason I would use the Smashbox over the Laura Mercier is the SPF and Dr. Jart gets better reviews with a higher SPF. I am anxious to see if Dr. Jart as a BB cream is comparable to tinted moisturizer as well or if it's a different beast altogether. Stay tuned!

on 6/7/2012 1:34:00 PM

Ever since I've heard the buzz about BB creams, I've been dying to try one. I finally bought the Smashbox one, after a salesclerk at Sephora suggested it over the other brands. I have fair to medium skin, with no problems. I don't usually wear foundation because I don't need it, so dropping 50 bucks on this was a little painful, but I had to try it. I've since learned that, for me, the best way to apply it was straight after moisturizing my skin: it goes on so smoothly and evenly in comparison to when I don't moisturize. It really evens out my skin tone and gives it a dewy glow without making it look greasy, and it compliments my blush perfectly. A little goes a long way, so I know it'll last me a while, which I'm grateful for because of the price. The only factor, besides the price, is that I've yet to notice any improvement with my skin, although I was blessed with a pretty good complexion so I have no idea if that's why I haven't seen any difference. I really love that it has a high SPF, another reason I've been applying it daily. All in all, I really enjoy the product, the packaging itself is a no muss, no fuss type of deal and it does what it advertises. I just wish the price was a bit lower. The fact that it was only 10 bucks cheaper than the Dior BB cream did not sit well with me.

on 6/6/2012 10:06:00 PM

I want to like this, I really do, but I just don't. I haven't noticed improvement in my skin (one of the "benefits" of a BB cream), and I don't think it provides very much coverage. It's nice when my skin is a little tanner (I bought medium-light) and my complexion has no problems, but when I'm paler and have a couple problem areas it does nothing. I also think it makes me feel oily as the day goes by. It blends in nicely but after a while it practically disappears, NOT what I paid for!

Not a bad product but for the price but not great, I won't buy it again.

on 6/6/2012 6:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I got a sample of this at Sephora in the color Light. I have never tried another BB cream, and now I will never need to! It blended very smoothly into my skin and looks very natural and even. It did not, however, cover blemishes very well, but this was to be expected due to the light coverage a BB cream offers. The only downside to this was the $39 price tag. This product will not become a staple in my collection by any means because it's a tad pricey, but I love it nevertheless and would repurchase!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This is the first bb cream I have tried and I love it. It gives a light to medium coverage and a very natural look to the skin. With my concealer and powder i think it gives me a medium coverage.
What drew me to this particular bb cream was the claim to control oil. It controls my extremely oily skin and lasts all day when set with a powder. I love the soft matte finish it gives to my skin, it gives my skin a healthy glow without looking to dewy or oily.
I was really hesitant to buy the bb cream because the shade range isn't very good, I have the palest skin and was worried the fair woud be to dark on me. The fair shade is a true fair shade and matches my skin perfectly, It is not to yellow or pink undertoned either!
The consistency is very thick which made it a bit difficult to blend compared to a tinted moisturiser but I found the perfect way to apply this bb cream is with a wet makeup sponge. I like to set my bb cream with my Mac Mineralise Skin Finish Natural which gives a but more coverage and makes it last all day long.
I was pleasantly surprised when I took the bb cream off at night how soft my skin felt and with continual use it has made my skin baby soft!! I love the fact it also has SPF 35 but the bb cream does smell like sunscreen. It doesn't bother me because it's not a strong unpleasant smell and you can only smell it when applying the bb cream.
The price!!! I payed $54.95 in Australia!! I would have given it 5 stars if it wasn't so expensive. When I got it in the mail I was so shocked how small the bb cream was for $54.95. But I would purchase it again because it's the best foundation I have ever purchased. Overall I think it's a great product whether you use it as a light foundation or under your foundation as a primer I think it is a great product.

on 6/5/2012 9:11:00 PM

The shade "light" is the only face makeup to match me perfectly!! Too bad this bb cream isn't for my dry skin. It isn't moisturizing at all and has a thick consistency. Still on the hunt for the perfect face MU :(

At first I really liked this product because it is a nice thicker consistency and blends quite well. But after several uses I was finding it showed my flaky skin bits around my chin, upper lip and around my nose!! Ugh!! Even my husband pointed it out at the grocery store because the lighting there is super bright. He was trying to pick off the dead skin. LOL!! I like trying new products and I was using Dr Jart BB cream but it was too white for my skin but covered well. I figured with a North American brand I was sure to find a similar experience with a north American skin tone (even tho I'm Asian...but I am not paler than pale.) I find Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer in bisque is perfect for my skin and doesn't exaggerate any dry spots. But I was wanting a little more coverage...but less than foundation. I won't be getting this BB cream again. And it smells of SPF pretty bad too.