July 31, 2014 | 1742 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Color Tattoo - Bad to the Bronze / On and On Bronze

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2012 7:37:00 PM More reviews by darkeyedfran

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love using these as bases, don't get me wrong, they are wonderful on their own but they are really fantastic as bases for my powder shadows. I bought these right when they arrived on the makeup scene and quickly snagged up three colors: Bad to the bronze, Pomegranate Punk, and Tough as Taupe. I love all three of these shades, but I reach for bad to the bronze most days. The color, in my opinion, is not taupe...taupe is a brown grey...this has way too much gold and is too warm to be considered a taupe...at least on my skin this does not have any grey to it. This is a golden champagne color with brown undertones. I love this shade, it adds dimension to neutral colors and helps colors stick to the lid and provides vibrancy. I am in love with these and have used them since I bought them, I definitely recommend these for anyone wanting stupidly long lasting shadows or really fabulous bases!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2012 4:29:00 PM More reviews by stls

It's surprising to find such great drugstore products! Pleasant gel/cream texture, nice pigmentation, not over-the-top shimmer, lasts long, decent packaging... overall excellent!
I mostly use it alone on the lid with some eyeliner and mascara.
It does have a taupey hue but I like that, most bronze eye shadows (like woodwinked) appear orange on my cool fair skin

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2012 4:17:00 PM More reviews by basmah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This shadow makes a great base for other eyeshadows. I always use this over Soft Ochre PP, because it does crease a little if I us it on its own. On my pale skin (NW10-15, NARS Siberia) it does show up as a bronze. I like using this as a base underneath a lot of different bronze-y and taupe eyeshadows, such as MAC Satin Taupe, NARS Kalahari duo, BB Stone, MAC Patina and MAC Mulch. It also works really well with the shadows in the two Naked palettes. It's so versatile. The texture is really nice, it's a lot softer and easier to spread and blend than the Tough as Taupe one. The colour pay off is very good, it is very pigmented on me. There is plenty of time to blend the shadow, but then it sets and it stays put pretty well with a base underneath. I can definitely see the resemblance with the PP and I wish they would come out with skin toned colours. The price is also pretty good, it's 10 euros over here in the Netherlands (Maybelline and L'Oreal tend to be quite a bit more expensive here). I would repurchase this, but I think this little pot will last me a very long time, as a little goes a long way.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/23/2012 10:26:00 PM More reviews by latoyaoneall

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I thought the color in the pot was super pretty, but when it went on my eyes it looked muddy. I think I don't like it because it just doesnt fare well with my fair skin. Maybe it would work better on someone darker than me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2012 3:34:00 AM More reviews by slippingbeauty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a great go-to shade for me. I can literally just sweep it on and be done with my eye makeup. It also makes a good base for medium or dark neutral eyeshadows, but most often I find myself using it alone, with or without liner. It lasts about 12 hours on me, but I am very crease-prone.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2012 11:21:00 PM More reviews by lilinah

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Bronze the metal is a beautiful color. This eye shadow cream is not bronze. It's more of taupe, a medium warm taupe, slightly warm medium light brown with a metallic silvery cast. I'd seen swatches on-line, so i was not disappointed. And i think it looks fine on my MAC 15 neutral skin.
My first time using it, i applied it with my finger, but i now prefer a brush so i get a smoother, more even coat. I did need to apply two coats for full intense coverage, but that's ok. So far, i've worn it without a primer and it has lasted from the time i applied it until bed time. It works well on my relatively dry eye lids and in the crease, as well as an accent color below my eye. It might work as a highlighter on someone much darker than i am.
It isn't cheap - i think i paid around $7US for it at my local Target (it's cheaper on-line). But it's not an unreasonable price. There's a good amount of product in the jar. The jar is glass and is a bit weighty, making this seem like a slightly more luxurious than most DS brand plastic packaging.
I like it well enough that i have since purchased Fierce & Tangy, the satin-finish orange, and am considering a couple more colors.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/17/2012 2:42:00 PM More reviews by treasonous

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I purchased this colour without testing it on the back of my hand. In the packaging, it looked a deep golden-bronze colour. However, when applying it when I got home, it came out more a shimmery grey-light brown. So i'd advise anyone who takes the colour at face value to actually test it first.
It also came out quite a flat, watered down colour, and needed two layers to get a proper effect. It wasn't as highly pigmented as it is claimed to be.

It made my eyes quite itchy, though I do suffer with dry eyes, so that is probably not the case for everyone.
It lasted well for the few hours i wore it, but I wouldn't really recommend it as being a miracle product. I much preferred the Barry M waterproof eye crayon for staying power and colour depth.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/17/2012 12:04:00 PM More reviews by Audrey0

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Totally worth the price. It's not a HG or anything, and others describe the color more accurately than Maybelline did. LOL. Similar to MAC paint pots, but cheaper. That being said, I still want to keep using MAC paint pots because they are so brilliant. I hadn't purchased a Maybelline product in a long time and this one had so many good reviews, I ran out and bought one for my trip to Florida. Thanks everyone for writing reviews or I would have never tried this! I may pick up some other colors, too.

*Side note: MUA - the would you buy this product again question is soooooo wierd and I would argue, pointless. It's like, do you mean "If you could go back in time, knowing what you know now, would you buy this again?" or "WILL you buy another one?" which it odd. Like, 'will I buy another one' (in the future) might be answered NO simply because I may not ever run out of this product because there is so much of it. But if you answer NO, you are unwittingly making the product look bad even if you like it very much! Additionally, how accurate is it to answer this question since it's truly a guess/prediction about the future and we can't really know if we're going to buy it again because something better may come along.

Every time I look at the reviews of things, the first thing I notice is the % statistic by the product, which is misleading because it makes you think that that % of people approve of the product, when actually it means that % of people will buy it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/16/2012 6:06:00 PM More reviews by lilyofthevalley47

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

The finish of this is beautiful, shiny, glistening.... but it is NOT bronze. Most others have already noticed this, but this should have been called Tough as Taupe or Tremendously TAUPE or something haha. Let's begin by saying that taupe doesn't exactly look very nice with my skin coloring, me being slightly more warm than cool. But the staying power is GREAT. and it does NOT CREASE, even without primer!!!!!!!!!!! (I experimented with this for a WEEK). And I have oily lids! I wish they would release an actual bronze color, but this is nice too!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2012 12:05:00 AM More reviews by crissy234

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like this color because it can easily be worn every day. I've always had a hard time getting powder eyeshadows to stay on and they usually crease on me at some point. This shadow is super easy to apply (I usually use my fingers); if you want it to be more opaque, tapping it on seems to work best and you can sheer it out by rubbing your finger across it as long as it hasn't dried yet. I don't know about the 24 hour claim since it does seem to fade by the end of the day, but the staying power overall is really great! It also works great as a base for other colors. Now, I'm trying to figure out what colors I want to buy next!