October 20, 2014 | 1463 users online

Pressed Powders - New York Color - Pressed Translucent Powder

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 on 8/5/2004 5:22:00 PM More reviews by Sugarswirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is your basic powder- dirt cheap, too. Like everyone else has mentioned, if you apply too much you'll look chalky. My only advice is to go slowly when you apply, dust off excess from the puff and if you'd like a more natural look, use a brush. I'll definitely be buying it again! I'd pay two bucks for the mirror alone =P

UPDATE//

I have since switched to a covergirl pressed powder, the one in the green case. In hindsight, even though the NYC one had great coverage, it was chalky, the color wasn't flesh-like and the texture was too dry. Covergirl is much more natural-looking, in my opinion.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/28/2004 7:58:00 PM More reviews by Rjrstar12

A good powder; It looks better on me when i use a brush instead of the sponge included. Anyway i bought this in Naturally Beige and it gives my skin a nice soft finish. Might buy again.
UPDATE-The other day we went to a play and i took this powder in one of my purses; well the next day i opened my purse to find a crumbly, powdery mess! I don't know how it happened, just wanted to warn you-be careful and don't jar it too much. I might reconsider next time and buy a different brand.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/11/2004 1:59:00 PM More reviews by luxekitty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is my favorite pressed powder. It is so incredibly cheap and effective. I use this to set my makeup for the day. Of course, I use a big fluffy brush from Face Secrets, not that horrible little sponge they provide. I also use this for touchups b/c I live in such a humid place. I love this stuff so much that I have 3 floating around (one in my car, one in my makeup bag, and oe in my purse). You do have to be careful w/touchups as the powder can be a little messy.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2004 6:22:00 PM More reviews by cac22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

So this is my first pressed powder, because I just never bothered with it untilI decided to try it out. I bought this because of the surprisingly good reviews and the dirt cheap price ($1.99 AND I got it half of because there was a sale... $1 for an amazing product is definitely not bad). When I opened it up I was a little disappointed because the puff looked sooo cheap and the product just didn't look magical. Despite my initial disappointment, I followed the directions-- "Glide powder puff across Pressed Powder and smooth over forehead, cheeks, chin & jawline"-- simple enough. Then I looked to see the outcome and... there was noooo shine what-so-ever, even on this hot summer day. And my skin felt soooo soft. I have a little bit of dry, cracked skin around areas where I have pimples (nose area), and I noticed the dry spots were highlighted a little bit, but if you avoid areas like that, or if you have no dry skin, this would be great. I have pale skin, and although this is supposed to be transluscent, I noticed that it lightened even my already-pale skin tone a bit, so unless you have pale skin, this color might be a problem. I don't really have any other powder experiences to compare this to, but I highly recommend this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2004 2:36:00 PM More reviews by Mambar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It smells good, has excellent coverage, and is extremely cheap. I like to look really white and this stuff helps me achieve this look. However, one could just use a little bit of it to create a natural look.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2004 1:06:00 PM More reviews by Blueness

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this for touchups! It doesnt turn orange, doesnt build up and it has no fragrance! The only downside it that it looks chalky until it has time to 'set'. I usually speed up the setting process by lightly patting the area I've applied it with my fingers. Now if I could only figure out how to stick the pan into my MAC compact...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2004 9:55:00 PM More reviews by DodgerDasher

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Impressed by the quality of N.Y.C's products. This is a good quality powder, evens out my skintone & sets my makeup. Modern/cool design & nice pink sponge puff. Only $1.99! Will most definitely buy again!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2004 4:15:00 AM More reviews by Dangergirl

Nice general powder. Pretty good for the price- made me break out though :(

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2004 12:10:00 AM More reviews by grex78

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like to use loose powder to set my m/u at home but I like to carry a pressed powder in my m/u bag. This powder is really good at soaking up oilies. This is the 3rd time I repurchased and will continue to do so, especially at 1.99$. The color can look a bit chalky if you put too much on but it really does wonders for shine!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/2/2004 11:00:00 PM More reviews by Scatterot

I wanted to try the Mac Blot powder, but I got to the store to late and they were closed. Someone mentioned in the reviews that this was just as good, so I decided to give it a try. It's cheap so if it didn't work I wouldn't be too bummed. So far I like it. I took a 2 hour nap and when I woke up my skin was FAR less oily than when it usually is. I don't like the sponge or the case, but I can easily fix that by depotting it and getting a better sponge. I will update in a few weeks to see if this is a keeper. ;)

Update: Didn't like it, my search continues. =/
Update: Ok I don't like it. It worked OK, but that's about it.