July 28, 2014 | 984 users online

Pressed Powders - New York Color - Pressed Translucent Powder

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2004 6:22:00 PM More reviews by cac22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

So this is my first pressed powder, because I just never bothered with it untilI decided to try it out. I bought this because of the surprisingly good reviews and the dirt cheap price ($1.99 AND I got it half of because there was a sale... $1 for an amazing product is definitely not bad). When I opened it up I was a little disappointed because the puff looked sooo cheap and the product just didn't look magical. Despite my initial disappointment, I followed the directions-- "Glide powder puff across Pressed Powder and smooth over forehead, cheeks, chin & jawline"-- simple enough. Then I looked to see the outcome and... there was noooo shine what-so-ever, even on this hot summer day. And my skin felt soooo soft. I have a little bit of dry, cracked skin around areas where I have pimples (nose area), and I noticed the dry spots were highlighted a little bit, but if you avoid areas like that, or if you have no dry skin, this would be great. I have pale skin, and although this is supposed to be transluscent, I noticed that it lightened even my already-pale skin tone a bit, so unless you have pale skin, this color might be a problem. I don't really have any other powder experiences to compare this to, but I highly recommend this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2004 2:36:00 PM More reviews by Mambar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It smells good, has excellent coverage, and is extremely cheap. I like to look really white and this stuff helps me achieve this look. However, one could just use a little bit of it to create a natural look.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2004 1:06:00 PM More reviews by Blueness

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this for touchups! It doesnt turn orange, doesnt build up and it has no fragrance! The only downside it that it looks chalky until it has time to 'set'. I usually speed up the setting process by lightly patting the area I've applied it with my fingers. Now if I could only figure out how to stick the pan into my MAC compact...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2004 9:55:00 PM More reviews by DodgerDasher

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Impressed by the quality of N.Y.C's products. This is a good quality powder, evens out my skintone & sets my makeup. Modern/cool design & nice pink sponge puff. Only $1.99! Will most definitely buy again!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2004 4:15:00 AM More reviews by Dangergirl

Nice general powder. Pretty good for the price- made me break out though :(

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2004 12:10:00 AM More reviews by grex78

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like to use loose powder to set my m/u at home but I like to carry a pressed powder in my m/u bag. This powder is really good at soaking up oilies. This is the 3rd time I repurchased and will continue to do so, especially at 1.99$. The color can look a bit chalky if you put too much on but it really does wonders for shine!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/2/2004 11:00:00 PM More reviews by Scatterot

I wanted to try the Mac Blot powder, but I got to the store to late and they were closed. Someone mentioned in the reviews that this was just as good, so I decided to give it a try. It's cheap so if it didn't work I wouldn't be too bummed. So far I like it. I took a 2 hour nap and when I woke up my skin was FAR less oily than when it usually is. I don't like the sponge or the case, but I can easily fix that by depotting it and getting a better sponge. I will update in a few weeks to see if this is a keeper. ;)

Update: Didn't like it, my search continues. =/
Update: Ok I don't like it. It worked OK, but that's about it.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2004 11:23:00 AM More reviews by deadmilk

This powder is great. I've been using it for a week now & it does exactly what a powder should do- sets my makeup & keeps me matte. The packaging is totally cheap & cheesey looking , but I'm over it. Must be applied very lightly to avaoid being chalky though. I'm so glad I purchased this! & for so cheap too!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2004 4:28:00 AM More reviews by devilzwind

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is an average product. It's cheap and works well, and used to be a HG for me, until I realized the translucent color was beginning to look ashy for me. So, I would suggest using a tinted one that matches your skin color instead of using translucent. That said, it does absorb oil well and is a good cheap fix.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2004 9:23:00 PM More reviews by obzessd

When I first put this on, I used the sponge. Yikes! A big white poof of powder on my NC30 skin.

Now I've figured out how to make it work - put it on sheerly and with a big brush. Any more and I look ghostly - so, it's not really "translucent." If you're light though, you're going to love it, b/c it's nicely milled, esplly for a d/s powder; doesn't cause any funny buildup; and takes away all the shine. I sometimes even use this instead of loose powder to set my MU.

I took one lippie off for the packaging, which is butt-ugly.

Edit: I'm giving it 5 lippies again. Ugly packaging or not, the low price and great quality make this a keeper.