April 16, 2014 | 1829 users online

Liquid - Chanel - Perfection Lumiere

rated 4 of 5 on 2/10/2012 2:06:00 AM More reviews by jlbre5

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been looking for a new foundation for a while. I have fair, combo skin and am prone to break outs. I have this in the Beige 20, as i have quite pink skin and the yellow undertones even my colour out beautifully.
Pros: Glass bottle with clean pump dispenser. Really nice finish, matte-luminous and light to medium coverage.
Cons: Doesnt last the entire work day (nurse), but gets me through a normal day. I have combo skin and breaks me out if Im at work (sweating/airconditioned), also goes greasy on my T-zone.
VERDICT: On my second bottle, but I think the love affair is almost over, will be hard to move on but I think there's somebody better out there for me

rated 1 of 5 on 2/9/2012 3:59:00 PM More reviews by Mamazonian

I have been using La Prairie Skin Caviar since my early 30s and as my current bottle is nearly at an end I felt it might be a good time to look around and see what's out there. As I am now in my early 40s I felt I might need to change things up a little as it is unlikely that my skin has the same tone as it did 10 years ago. Foundations have become so advanced over the last year or so I was feeling fairly sure that the La Prairie formulation was probably a bit dated compared to some newer offerings that cost a lot less. I was really eager to try Perfection Lumiere as it sounded exactly what I was looking for. I was proved quite wrong. Perfection Lumiere does nothing for my skin and I found it looked quite flat - not quite the death mask of Estee Lauder DW but definitely not 'perfection' or 'lumiere' either. My skin is combo with very dry cheeks with oily t-zone and it seemed to turn my crows feet in to pterodactyl claws and highlight my fine lines rather than blur them. I also found that my nose was a bit shiny after a few hours but I didn't use any powder as I really wanted to see how this felt all day on my skin. This foundation does feel really light and fluid and is lovely to apply (yes it does dry quickly as others have said and is best applied in sections with fingers) but I was quite aware that I was wearing it during the day and found myself looking forward to taking it off. This is something I have never noticed with La Prairie. It left my skin feeling a little tight I think. For all the advancements and claims for this foundation I was so surprised at how 'meh' my skin looked and can honestly say that despite its age La Prairie is still streets ahead. I am beginning to think that I will have to just give up on finding anything cheaper

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2012 5:34:00 PM More reviews by ltgee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Update: still loving this but it leaves me quite oily by midday. see my review for Nars Sheer Matte...
________________________
i have not purchased a high end liquid foundation in a very long time. my last purchase was at neiman's for a chantecaille tinted moisturizer maybe 4 years ago and i still have the full tube! i have been using powders (MAC studio fix) and some HSN powders (GBF's) but lately my 36 year old medium combo skin yellow toned asian skin needed some extra coverage. i went to bloomie's and tested the aqua v on one half and this lumiere on the other half. the aqua v is definitely sheer coverage, the sa told me so beforehand, and the perfection l is definitely JUST medium, which i was looking for and love. i have it in the beige 40. i would have liked to have something one step up, just a smidge darker, but the 50 was just way too dark. in the summer i will buy the 50 and maybe even now i could mix the 50 in with the 40 for the perfect shade.

i ended up choosing the PL over the VA because it has move coverage, its still very light, and i like a matte finish. it still shows my freckles but covers any redness and evens out my skin tone, not powdery looking at all. the VA was so sheer that it didnt give me any coverage but was more like a tinted moisturizer and made my face really shiny. i didnt look glowy really, more shiny. for the money i would like to coverage! so for $55.00 plus tax i took this baby home. i've worn it several times, day and night and it looks great and feels like nothing on my face! great quality foundation. highly recommend. has spf 15 from it and i usually break out from spf but have not (yet). glass bottle, very elegant but not practical for traveling.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2012 4:35:00 PM More reviews by LawLaw88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have oily, acne prone skin, with hyper pigmentation from acne scars. I am also hard to match because I am sooo fair skinned. I use beige rose 12, and while it does oxidize and isn't a perfect match, I LOVE this foundation. I used to use Estee Lauder double wear, but that was to heavy of a coverage for me so I switched to this. The only reason I wouldnt call it my HG foundation is because the color is a little dark.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/30/2012 1:42:00 PM More reviews by dhaneg2

Awful! It's very chalky and thick looking...not skin-like at all! I'm a combination dry/oily T-zone and if you have the slightest dryness on your face, it will emphasize that area! It's definitely a medium to full buildable coverage. I love my FACE Atelier foundation and I'm sticking with that!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2012 12:57:00 AM More reviews by Jauny

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm really shocked at just how many people are coming out and saying that this foundation is bad/just ok... I feel like any time Chanel releases something, because of the hype of just being such a known brand, I tend to see the two opposite ends of the spectrum in reviews and overall impression. This foundation seems to be balancing out and falling somewhere in the middle for a lot of consumers, but to me, it's an extremely well done foundation. It reminds me of almost a hybrid of two of my favorite foundations--Lancome Teint Idole Ultra and Giorgio Armani Lasting Silk. It's got some the thinness and look of Lasting silk with the some of the density and wear of Idole Ultra. This is to me a true medium coverage foundation. The consistency of this foundation, is simply put-- a liquid to powder finish, which I think is something we don't see a lot anymore and because of this some of us may have been thrown off. But because of the finish, it excels on my very oily skin, and wears beautifully (10+ hours before I start to see it even BEGIN to budge). I'm one to set my foundation with powder after I'm done applying (which I don't HAVE to do with this foundation, But I still do most days, always lightly) and I also am one to blot off excess oil throughout the day and re-powder where most foundations tend to fade or not look as good as they wear. I find myself not only blotting less, which is UNHEARD OF, but looking at myself and not really needing to pull out my powder at all (I use MAC Studio Fix Powder). I consider my skin to be slightly textured, not a huge lot, but I can tell. I love to use primers, silicone based or otherwise that lessen this aspect my skin--something about Perfection Lumiere really works well alone as well as with primers to lessen texture issues on my skin. This foundation DOES oxidize half a shade to whole shade darker in the first 30 some odd minutes after applying, but remains stable in color afterwards and doesn't continue to darken after the initial darkening. This is EASILY fixed by going a shade lighter, or playing with Perfection Lumiere's undertone system (Beige, Beige Rose ext.) All in all I think that this foundation is comparable to a few things, Teint Idole Ultra comes pretty close, off the top of my head MAC Matchmaster KINDA... but that was a sample I tried a while ago--BUT--the QUALITY is 100% there, as it should be at this price point, this is WITHOUT A DOUBT a $56 dollar foundation--it is up to par to others in it's league. I encourage oily/normal skins to at least SAMPLE this (application, finish, and oxidation has a bit of a learning curve), while keeping in mind that there are comparable options at lower price points. PERSONALLY? Chanel has absolutely hit the nail on the head for me. I'm not crazy about the fragrance cause I find it quite strong, or how heavy the bottle is--but again, at this price point, what are you gonna do? I'm glad to have this foundation and I'm one that tries a LOT of high end foundations, this is one of my FEW reviews on this website and I felt the need to give my opinion because I do really think it's great. I'm not one to repurchase a lot of things, but I really could see myself getting another bottle of this when I run out.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/26/2012 10:33:00 PM More reviews by lilyorchid

For reference, I am NC20 with yellow undertones and combination skin (oily in the t-zone and dry on my cheeks.) During the winter time, my skin gets even drier and flakier. The MA matched me perfectly to B10 (the lightest shade in the beige family), so paler ladies might want to skip this foundation altogether.

I wanted to really like this foundation because aside from their foundations, I absolutely love Chanel cosmetics. Plus, I'd heard that it was a good matte, medium-coverage foundation, so I was excited to try it. However, I had the same problem with this foundation as I did with Vitalumiere Aqua. It sucked all the moisture from my face, emphasized any flaky/dry spots I had, and it left my skin an irritated mess (must be due to the fragrance in the foundations in conjunction with the high alcohol content.) And even though it is definitely a matte finish, it is NOT long wearing. I'd say this lasted me a good 5-6 hours, maybe 8 hours if I used primer.

Also, I really disliked the application of this foundation. Since I have oily, sensitive skin in my t-zone area, I try not to use my fingers as I feel it stimulates even more oil production and spreads the oil present on my hands all around. But that's really the best way to apply this foundation. If you apply this with a denser, buffing foundation brush, you'll waste the product (same with a sponge), and if you apply this with a typical flat foundation brush, you'll get a cakey mask. And I hate stippling brushes, so that was a no go as well. So, I used my fingers, and found that it did not spread as smoothly as I would have liked it to. The only good thing about this foundation is that it dries down quickly (maybe too quickly?) and doesn't leave a sticky feeling behind.

I can't say I recommend this foundation at all, and for the price, I really expected more out of it. Definitely get a sample first before you purchase this.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2012 4:07:00 PM More reviews by roseinhawaii

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm kind of sad that this product has such low reviews. It's quickly become the best foundation I have EVER used. Ever (and I've tried SO many). I'm NC35-40 with oily, acne-prone, sensitive skin. Prior to using this foundation I was wearing EL DW daily and was tired of having to jump through rings or fire trying to make it look natural. Then I tried a sample of this and it was love!

I wear Beige Ambre 24, and it's just about a perfect match for me! It's a medium coverage foundation that can be layered for a bit extra coverage (but not truly full-coverage). It does a wonderful job at covering redness and evening my skin tone while still looking and feeling natural (feels like nothing at all). I don't think it lasts on my oily skin as long as DW, but it wears a good 8-10 hours, which is just fine for my needs. The first few times I used it, it felt like it made my skin feel dry, but my skin adjusted to the change in my makeup routine.

What I love most about this foundation is that it doesn't disturb my sensitive skin and that it feels so natural. I also love that I don't have to use a special brush - just my fingers. One pump is more than enough for my face, but I love the fact that if I do need more I can just pump out a teeny bit without wasting product. It's definitely expensive, but for me it's worth it. I use it everyday and plan on repurchasing when I run out!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2012 11:24:00 AM More reviews by KeyWestBum

I do not recommend this for people with dry skin or dehydrated skin from the cold winter. I tried a sample of this out on my winter dehyrated skin (normally combination) and it clinged on to every flake on my cheek area. I looked like I was wearing a mask and it didn't look nautral. I like a foundation with some dew to it for a more natural appearance. It sets very fast and it doesn't even allow the user any time to blend! Once set, It felt uncomfortable on the skin, almost like I put a coat of nail top coat on my face. This foundation also turned two shades darker once it set. I'm glad I didn't purchase a full bottle of this. I have a $2.00 foundation from CVS that works 10x better then this. FYI: If you want a long wear good cover foundation, I would recommend MAC Pro-longwear instead of this.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/25/2012 12:42:00 AM More reviews by SoCalNanny

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this foundation. I splurged on this and am so happy i did! I get compliments every time i wear it. Since it is so expensive I only wear it for special occasions. But I can say the few times I have worn it, it lasts all day!! It truly is amazing.

*UPDATE* 02/05/12- I just had to add this bit, too amazing!! I had a cry this evening:( and went to the bathroom right after to clean up my face and *unbelievable!!* the foundation had not budged!! no tear marks, nothing but glowing, soft skin,