August 20, 2014 | 1875 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2013 10:36:00 PM More reviews by xstarb0rn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using this foundation on and off for the last three years-- Around the time I started wearing makeup. Since I have tried this makeup, I have not found another foundation that I can rely on like this one other than the new formulation of it called, "Colorstay Whipped Foundation." The texture of this foundation is quite thick. It's honestly the thickest foundation I've used other than the Maybelline Superstay 24 Hour Foundation. This foundation is absolutely full coverage. It's so thick that it can be used as a concealer on spots that are less than perfect. The foundation covers redness and even pimple scabs that might be on the face. I do not believe this foundation has caused me to break out more than I normally would have. The only issue that I do have with this foundation, as well as its newer form, is that around my mouth is where it seems to break down the most. It almost breaks down as soon as I apply it there. I have to use a decent amount of face primer around my mouth to ensure that I won't have issues. To me this isn't a huge deal since I've learned to just smudge it in place if that happens. Plus, I wear lipstick most of the time. I have heard a few times that the Revlon Colorstay Foundation is a complete and utter dupe for the MAC Studio Fix Fluid Foundation. All in all, this foundation is for the women (or men) that need or want full coverage for their less than perfect skin. Sorry if this is a bit jumbled; I'm writing this while I'm tired. :p

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2013 8:35:00 AM More reviews by DaniDeelish

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm part of the minority that doesn't like this product. This was the first foundation I ever used, so I thought it was good then. Now, after discovering many other great foundations, I no longer like this one.
    I have the "Normal-Dry Skin" formulation of this foundation
    ****ABOUT MY SKIN****
    -I have normal-dry skin. Dry around my chin, nose and mouth, pretty much normal everywhere else.
    -I dont really have acne (just a few acne scars), but I have horrible hyper-pigmentation and redness on my cheeks (which requires a medium-full coverage foundation to cover it up).
    ****SHADE REFERENCE****
    -I am a MAC "NW15", and a "Gobi Light 3" in NARS Sheer Glow. I have very pink undertones.
    -I used this foundation in the lightest shade (forgot what it was called, as I threw out the bottle). it was a fairly decent shade match however.
    ****FOUNDATION CONSISTENCY & FINISH****
    -The foundation is a thick liquid in consistency. Still liquidy, but not too liquidy. Will run down your hand, but slowly. A little goopy.
    -The finish (for the normal-dry formula) is natural IMO. Definitely not dewy/glowy. More on the matte side. Kind of semi-matte IMO.
    ****APPLICATION****
    This is the part I struggle with with this foundation. It's just so darn difficult to work with. I'm one of those people that likes to really take their time blending in my foundation. I usually take 5-10 minutes on my foundation on its own, as I like to really take my time blending it in. I was never able to just slap it on in 30 seconds and be happy with the way it looks. If you're like me in this sense, you will find this stuff a pain to work with. It sets VERY quickly, so you have to work very fast. Do one section of your face at a time (use the forehead, nose, chin and each cheek as a separate sections, and work on each section at a time. Finish one, move on to the other. Don't dot all over your face and then try to blend. You will be left with a streaky mess). Because it sets so fast, I can't use my usual Real techniques Expert face brush followed by the beauty blender technique. I go in straight with a damp beauty blender, and kind of quickly stamp it over my face (in sections). Best way I have found to apply it.
    ****PROS****
    -This foundation has nice, medium-full coverage, so it will cover pretty much anything you need to it cover
    -Has great staying power. Will stay on absolutely all day, as long as you need it to. Will withstand heat, sweat, etc.
    -Fairly good colour match for pale people (can't comment on the colour match for the darker ladies)
    -Comes in 2 formulas; normal-dry and oily-combination.
    -Can be found at every drugstore, and for a reasonable price in most countries (over $30 in Australia, however).
    ****CONS****
    -If you read the section I wrote under 'application', you will know my first con. Soo difficult to blend and work with. Frustrating for people like me who like to take their time with foundation application (read under 'application' for more)
    -Is very heavy on the skin. You can definitely feel that you have it on. It doesn't let your skin breathe, feels like a mask on. I don't mind this too much, I'm used to wearing the heavier foundations, but just keep this in mind. If you don't like to feel like you have foundation on, not for you.
    -I don't understand this formula. It claims to be for normal-dry skin(can also get one for oily/combo skin), but it's horrible on my normal-dry skin. It accentuates every single dry patch on my face, even ones I didn't know about. it's also not dewy/glowy at all. I don't understand how this would be specifially for normal-dry skins. This is the #1 reason I gave this foundation a low rating. It acts like the most drying foundation on my skin, and for one that claims to be for normal-dry skin, that's horribly disappointing. I honestly thought the wrong formula was pored in to my bottle (so much so that I actually bought a second bottle of the same formula, just to make sure it wasn't a mistake. Nope, still horribly drying) CONFUSED.DO.NOT.UNDERSTAND.
    -The SPF 6 is pathetic (the bottle I have says SPF 6 on it, not sure if all are like that). I mean, SPF 6, really? That's hardly going to protect you form any sun exposure, but I find that it's enough SPF to flash back in flash photography. Not as much as most other SPF foundations, but still enough to make my face look a tad lighter than my body. If you're going to put SPF in a foundation, make it like SPF15-30 so it protects somewhat decently. If you want to put in a low amount of SPF, skip it out all together so it doesn't flash back (can always wear sunscreen underneath for every day wear). SPF6 is enough to flash back a little for me (won't for everyone though), but not enough to protect. Worst of both worlds.
    -The foundation can look heavy/cakey on the skin. I find if you do 1 thin layer of it, it's not a problem, but any more than 1 layer and it starts to look heavy/obvious/a little cakey on my skin, so be careful how much you apply.
    -I find this stuff still transfers a little on to clothing. Hardly, and much less than most foundations, but still a tiny bit.
    -Dried to a kind of powdery finish, so it just looked really un-healthy on my skin. I just want to slap on some moisturizer when i look at my skin. Too powder looking. May be great for oily skinned gals though
    -The bottle is awful. Glass, so not good for travel, but also has a horrible, no-pump hole. And because it's not a very runny foundation, can get a little annoying trying to make it come out. Didn't really think the packaging through.
    ****BOTTOM LINE****
    The fact that it's soo damn drying was a complete turn off. Not what I was expecting from a normal-dry formulation. Too difficult to blend, which made me not want to try to put it on in the morning. Gave it 2 stars for the great coverage and lasting power. Will never repurchase, as I have dry skin, so foundations tend to last reasonably well on me, but I can find foundations that last well but aren'

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2013 6:32:00 AM More reviews by Luriencia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I use the one for oily/combination skin and its amazing for extremely oily skin, I've tried pretty much every other "long-lasting" or heavier duty "oil control" liquid foundations on the market and none of them comes close to how well this one wears on truly oily skin (even through high humidity in the tropics).
    I've given up trying to keep my crazy oily complexion under control so all I'm looking for is a foundation that won't crease and separate/move too badly through the day (I can deal with the shine) and this foundation is the only one that even comes close. I still have to apply powder over this as it does get pretty sticky on its own and it lasts through 15 hour days (with blotting sheets every 2-3hrs) without shifting much. Granted, some areas would have faded by then but compared to my other foundations, this one still wins hands down.

For reference, as someone always on a quest to find the perfect foundation, I own at the moment: MUFE mat velvet, Estee Lauder Doublewear regular/light/maximum coverage, Shiseido sun protection liquid foundation spf 42, maybelline superstay (new), Bourjois flower perfection, Rimmel lasting finish 16hrs, clinique anti-blemish solutions. Mac studio fix fluid/powder, Mac studio sculpt, Lacome mat miracle, Ettusias flat design liquid, and at least 15 different BB creams and seriously nothing gives me the same longevity as this gem of a drugstore foundation.

I'm an nc 20 and my best match is buff and sand beige mixed (but either on its own works fine in a pinch, just depends if you want to look a little "brighter" or "tanned").
    Coverage is medium buildable, but I wouldn't suggest piling this on as it will look a tad unnatural, but its enough to cover light acne scarring and discoloration on its own with a couple of extra dabs on the areas you need extra coverage on. I prefer applying this foundation in sections with my fingers as I feel it spreads better and doesn't dry as quickly this way.

Highly recommend this foundation especially to all the truly oily skinned ladies out there who's given up on controlling shine and just want their foundation to last past lunch (and I mean OILY like whole face shines and literally feels greasy less than an hour after washing)...

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2013 8:27:00 PM More reviews by MakeUpBySally

I LOVE this product. I recently brought it at Chemist Warehouse for 60% off the original price -- so only $17!! Very cheap here in Australia.
    I have horrible skin and I have been struggling with acne since the age off 10. I did read others reviews on this site before I bought it and quite a few said that it went orange/ was hard to spread and apply/ dried very quickly / wasn't full coverage etc. I have not had a single problem with it. It is full coverage for me and lasts ALL day - even without a primer! Very easy to apply and spread and my tip for orange foundation is buy the Oily/Combination Skin formula. It does not oxidize as much so it does not turn orange :)
    Love this product, especially for the price, easy to find at most chemists, drugstores and even some super markets and other shops (like KMART, Big W etc). Very very highly recommend and I will be buying again and again!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2013 11:04:00 AM More reviews by babyblue59

I am so surprised by the negative reviews on here. I have been a long time user of ColorStay and yes the formula has changed but I personally like the changes! I have been using the Colorstay Whipped foundation for the past year or so (and I love that foundation as well) and decided to purchase this again. Right away I thought I had gotten an old bottle because it had a much thicker consistency and I remembered this foundation pouring out of the bottle and being rather liquidy and messy. After applying it, and noticing how much easier this foundation was to blend and work with it was clear that Revlon had made some changes. The formula is much easier to work with. It is not as quick to set and I can really blend it into my skin for a very flawless effect. I dot the foundation all over my face and then blend it in with my Real Techniques Essential Face Brush and I get beautiful coverage. I get the combination/oily formula because I have oily skin and I will say that oil does break through a little easier with the new formula but it's very minor. Overall this is one of the best foundation I have ever found for oily skin and you really cannot beat the price. As compared with the old Colorstay formula, this version still gives beautiful, natural, and full coverage. It is now just much easier to blend and work with because it does not set as fast.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/1/2013 4:18:00 AM More reviews by guccimomma

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Not for oily skin! Stay away. Hate it!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/31/2013 8:46:00 PM More reviews by Andreafranjic

I love this product for an everyday school look. It last a good about of time especially if you apply primer (I use the smash box photo finish) I do hate the packaging. I wish there was a pump. Other then that I would go back and purchase it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2013 1:00:00 AM More reviews by MacMegan33

This is the best drugstore foundation out there, I would recommend this to anyone. It is full coverage and is a little watery. I apply it with a damp sponge, it's the best way to do it. It smells weird, and I wish it come with a pump is why it doesn't get five lipsticks. I use the Colorstay powder, it's a good combo. But it's no Mac studio fix, or mineralize powder. Nothing can compare them. It's really good though. It leaves my skin looks flawless, you def. need fix+ Colorstay is very powdery/drying, but that fixes it! I have nothing really bad to day or really great. It's a good staple to have, and does the job.
    I've heard of makeup artist using this on all there clients, and honestly I would be a little sad if they used Colorstay!!! It's good, but not that good-that's just so cheap to me. I would want Dior Airflash or something if I was getting fancied up!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/31/2013 12:36:00 AM More reviews by dventura

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have normal/ Combination skin and this is the first time I have ever purchased another foundation besides the foundation I have used since I was 16. I am now 28 and I have never in my life broken out as bad as this foundation made me break out and I only wore it for a week. I am seriously in tears because it is all over my face from my forehead to my chin which are two places I have never broken out on. I would never recommend this product to anyone. Please do not purchase.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2013 7:33:00 PM More reviews by kcarrion

The best foundation out there for combo skin! Stays on my skin all day long, slight touch ups in the tzone area. Medium full coverage, very buildable, and you can thin it out with lotion to use as a tinted moisturizer. Feels slightly heavy if you wear alot, but oh my goodness this is the best! Only thing missing is a pump.