August 20, 2014 | 996 users online

Pressed Powders - MAC - Mineralize Skin Finish Natural - Medium Plus

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2009 7:44:00 PM More reviews by xsweet

I really like this product.
I use this also for my foundation Or to fix my liquid foudation.
It totally worth the price.
Its just a little bit expensive 33$CDN
i do recommend this product! :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2009 1:45:00 PM More reviews by ilurvemakeup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was really hesitant to try this powder at first since a lot of MAC's face products tend to break me out in the past. After watching a mua apply this on a customer, I was intrigued. So I started playing with the testers and swatching each one on my arm - boy does this pressed powder feel soft or what!
I ended up with the Medium Plus shade since it matched me perfectly (I'm between a 25/30 and normally wear NC30). I used this with caution and prepared myself in case it broke me out. So far it has been working well for me :) *crosses fingers* I like wearing it alone since it gives my skin a nice all over color and evens my skin out, but I personally love it on top of liquid foundations :)

UPDATE 7/10/09: This has not broken me out at all :D This powder goes beautifully with the MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation! It really sets the gel based formula with little to no touch up during the day for me. I've worn this in the hottest days alone and with liquid foundation underneath, and it didn't melt off. I also wear glasses (with contacts I wear sunglasses) and this didn't make a powder indentation on the sides of my nose like I do with other powders when I wear glasses - for glasses wearers you know what I'm talking about :) When worn alone it doesn't give a cakey look, it almost looks translucent with a hint of color to even my skin out. If you're looking to wear this alone, you might want to conceal any blemish/flaws beforehand. I use Revlon colorstay concealer and use this powder to set my whole face when I wear it without foundation. It looks great with that concealer as well alone :) One of my HGs now.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2009 3:59:00 AM More reviews by cetati

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Price: not the cheapest pressed powder ever.

Quality: it is a lovely finishing powder and gives wonderful coverage with a kabuki brush if coverage is desired. Leaves that beautiful porcelain finish I do love. Looks flawless. Very finely milled. Does mattify a little though in the summer my oily skin breaks through anyway.

Packaging: I hate the dombed shape on top, but what can ya do?

Overall: A good product which I love and will buy again.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2009 11:45:00 PM More reviews by akkk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The texture feels a little coarse at first when swiped with a finger, but the product seems to glide on with a few light taps of a brush. The MA at the counter I bought this from suggested using a light dusting of the product rather than buffing it in. This has seemed to work IMO-- I have been using this for the last 4+ months and I have had no breakouts from using this. For the record, I have rather temperamental skin.

The skinfinish does seem to cake more when used as a setting powder over foundation, but this can be fixed with some fix+ spray stippled on with a skunk brush. Used by itself over primer or moisturizer, this powder provides a satin finish with sheer coverage.

Color choices are good, though I started with a medium plus in the summer/fall and had to go back for another compact in medium when my summer tan started to fade. But I should have expected this.

These are not very cheap, but for skins that need little coverage, the skinfinish is a good finishing option, since it seems to do what its name promises.

The compact is quite solid and I have not had trouble taking this to work with me. I took it on a rather long trip last year as well and did not have trouble with the product crumbling. But that was just my experience, and yours might differ.

A brush is a must for using this powder. That, and the powdery-ness over liquid or cream foundations is the only reason I am giving this four out of five lippies...

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2009 11:37:00 PM More reviews by aizacity

Skin Ref: Asian, yellow undertones, fair-medium, NC25/NC30, combination oily

I've been strictly using mineral makeup for about two years now, but have never tried any of MAC's mineralize line until now with the exception of their MSFs and mineralize blushes. This powder is excellent for setting mineral foundation, way better than the Everyday Minerals rice loose powder I've been using for over four years. Taking cue from the reviews on Makeup Alley, I hit a perfect match with Medium Plus for my NC25/NC30 skin. This mineral powder really did give a blurred/airbrushed effect to my face after using it to set my usual Pure Anada mineral foundation. I didn't expect it to do much in terms of covering my amazingly huge pores, but I was stunned when I saw the end result. I gave a lower rating for packaging just because I thought it would be nice to carry this around in my bag for touch ups on the go, but seeing how delicate MSFs are I'm not taking any chances and having it crumble in my bag...it's not like these things come cheap. Overall, I will definitely repurchase provided that it doesn't cause any breakouts. I've only been using this for a few days with no signs of irritations or whatsoever, so I will edit this review in the next coming weeks if it does.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2009 5:47:00 PM More reviews by stinky303piggy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

im in love this. i asian and irish and have alot of reddness on my checks and i also have undereye circles. ive tried everything from drugstore to highend. concelers to full coverage foundation and nothing looks natural. in order to cover the flaws i have to cake it on (which is not a good look). not with this product i simply prep my face using lightful serum and apply. its so fast and easy and it looks so natural and flawless. i will always keep this is my makeup case. i would repurchase in a heart beat.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2009 4:30:00 PM More reviews by peachykeen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

after reading many reviews on this I finally decided to go for the Medium PLus. I tried the Medium on in the store and it looked too light on me. I also tried Medium dark and it was too Ooompa Loompah- ish on me . For reference I'm a NC 25-30 Asian, blk hair.

Medium Plus is JUST RIGHT. It blends beautifully and goes on smoothly and just melts right in. I love it. I've tried tons of MMUs and I was skeptical of all the rave reviews here. I gotta say this is one of the best mineral powders I've ever tried. Love it.

My face looks very smooth and finished. No flakeys or dry spots and it just evens out my complexion perfectly. Def. HG status.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/1/2008 8:38:00 PM More reviews by neekolet

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this is amazing!!!! i love the mineralize powders because they give you awesome coverage and color without looking cakey. i'm nc40 and i was using medium until i switched over to medium plus (when i bought medium, medium plus wasn't available yet). though i loved medium, this color suits my nc40 skin waayy better. it is PERFECT!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/21/2008 10:21:00 PM More reviews by xjennlee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I love MAC's MSFs in general so I do like this one too. However, I took one lippie off because of the limited choices of shades. I am an NC30 and don't think Medium Plus is my perfect shade. But Medium Dark made me look like an Oompa Loompa : ( so as of now, Medium Plus is the closed to my shade. I use it over my foundation to set it and also use it without foundation whenever I don't want too much on. Also, when using it on top of foundation, please remember to only use a little! The shade turns a little darker on top of foundation so I just swipe only once and then buff it with my 182. Overall, this is pretty decent. Won't say I love it but will continue to use it. I probably won't repurchase though; I'd rather use MAC Blot Powder to set the foundation.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/17/2008 8:23:00 PM More reviews by sashimigirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I don't generally use foundation because I hate the feel and look of liquid foundation on my skin, but got sucked in by the idea of MAC doing a mineral powder foundation. The quality! The color range! The MAC name! lol.

It's sold as a setting powder but I think a lot of people use it as a sheer-coverage powder foundation, and that's how I've been using it. It comes in a compact with a see-through lid. The powder itself is "domed" and has subtle glimmer swirled in throughout the product. There's no puff included, which is ok with me because I think you really need to use a brush, but I would have liked a mirror...

I've had this a few days and I really like the product -- I have oily, acne-prone, sensitive skin that usually breaks out in zits or a rash at the drop of a hat if there's one irritating ingredient in the product. So far my skin is liking this, even though it does have a chemical sunscreen in the formula. Interesting since I usually am allergic to those.

I use a kabuki brush to buff it on over my moisturizer and concealer in the morning. I have some freckling and usually some light acne scarring and this does a good job of giving sheer coverage and also diffusing light enough to soften the imperfections w/o looking like a mask. I prefer this sort of natural coverage, but you can build coverage. At the store the MA spritzed Fix+ on my face first *then* buffed on the Mineralize -- and this gave medium coverage.

Before I used this I only wore concealer and Sheer Select Loose Powder. Using the Mineralize it does seem like my skin is more "protected" from the elements -- less itchy and just less "reactive" overall.

It does look a bit chalky to me by itself so I spritz Fix+ after as suggested by the MA and that gives it more of a dewy look. I have oily skin and it doesn't control shine that much, but it doesn't make it worse either. My usual Sheer Select pressed powder seems to work fine for touchups.

The tricky part seems to be finding the right shade. I'm a NC35/40 Asian w/golden undertones and was first matched as a Medium Dark, which when first put on seemed like a good match. But because I have oily skin the stuff turned too dark and a little orange after a few hours. So I exchanged for the next lighter shade, Medium Plus and it's much better, especially once it's been on for an hour or so. So, oily gals might want to consider buying a shade lighter.

Edit 9/21/08 - spoke too soon! Gah it's too pink. I give up. I'm gonna go back and try StudioFix now. Too bad cause besides the shade issues I really liked Mineralize.