October 31, 2014 | 834 users online

Brows - Castor Oil

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2009 7:56:00 PM More reviews by raynie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

It works! i dont know about others, but it works on me. I am sooo happy! I have very very sparse and light eyebrows. I have tried a lot of methods trying to let it grow more or darker. but neither of them worked. after i saw reviews here, i was like, oh, at least try. so i bought one bottle of castor oil in cvs and after 3 or 4 days of useing on both of my brows and eyelashes, i found out that my eyelashes are more thick. i always lost 3 or 4 lashes when i removed my eyemake but after using this oil, i rarely lost any lash anymore. i am so glad about that. and importantly, my eyebrows get somewhat darker also! i wont say it changes my brows color dramatically but my brows do get darker. and they are more than before. happy happy. HOWEVER, I found out that it cannot make your brows continue growing. after one month of using this oil, my brows and lashes are just like that. no more changes.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/24/2009 9:48:00 PM More reviews by rlmazzo

Ok, so I've always heard about castor oil and vaseline for eyelash growth, but never really bought into the hype. But just browsing through the MUA product reviews, I came across the reviews for castor oil. I found a bottle in my local discount drug store (in the laxative section) and it was around $2, so I decided to give it a try.
After two weeks, I am really surprised this has worked!!! My lashes reach almost to my eyebrows when curled!! I'm still not really sure how this works. I have googled it to try and get a more scientific explanation, but most sites just dismiss it, but it definitely works. It might just be that it softens the lashes to make them more flexible and less inclinded to break or something, I really don't know, but it makes them grow long.
I wouldn't really say they are any thicker, and the same for my eyebrows are still kind of uneven, but I've only done it for 2 weeks, so I will update if that changes. Also, did not cause and skin condition.
I will def continue to use this!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2009 4:51:00 PM More reviews by heathermrm

So - here is my story of my hunt for long, thick, lush lashes:

I have blonde, short eyelashes, average amount. I figured I was just destined to never have fabulous lashes, even w/ my HG mascaras. Then, I did some reading here on MUA. There are a lot of lash growth options, some cheap, some $$$$. I can't afford $$$$, so I thought I'd start at the bottom and work my way up.

I started w/ Ardell (see my separate review). I then moved up to Mavala Double Lash (see my separate review). Rapidlash was my 3rd attempt w/ a lash growth product (see my seperate review.) While I love it, it is $$.

So, approx 3 weeks ago, I started an experiment w/ GoW castor oil on my left lashes and Rapidlash on my right. Results = both are FABULOUS!!!!! I can actually SEE a difference!!! WHEEEE!!! :) Definite increase in lash length and thickness. I haven't seen any darkening or any curling (I don't need a curling effect, and I'm happy to use mascara) so these 2 non-occurances do not bother me in the least. W/ just 1 coat mascara - BAM - I have A LOT of LONG eyelashes!!!

I have not experienced any skin irritations w/ the castor oil. The only thing I have to be careful of is to use SPARINGLY or I end up w/ oil in my eye. I lightly dip a q-tip into the bottle, then press it along the inside of the bottle to squeeze out most of it and then apply to my upper lashes. Repeat w/ other end of q-tip for lower lashes.

I can BARELY tell the difference between my eyes - the Rapidlash lashes are a teeny tiny bit longer, but seriously, I have to REALLY strain to see the difference. I am going to keep up my experiment for a while longer, but if the castor oil continues to perform like this, I won't re-purchase Rapidlash and save myself $50 as this bottle I got from GoW will last me the next 10 years since this is all I'm using it for :)

UPDATE 12/21/09 - castor oil works as well as Rapidlash, IME! :)

UPDATE 07/21/10 - helpful hint - if I apply castor to my eyelashes at night, the following morning, I now swipe my eyelashes w/ Sonia Kashuk eye m/u remover to get every last trace of the oil gone = no more problems w/ my mascaras giving me raccoon eyes...:)

UPDATE 09/02/10 - LOVE that I now have it in a BNIP unused mascara container = much easier than using q-tip or finger - I have several extra up for swap if interested.

19 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2009 2:41:00 PM More reviews by loverofmineralmakeup

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is a HG product and has been a staple in my life even before I was born because my mother used to take Castor Oil mixed in juice when she had morning sickness during her pregnancy with me. Also, whenever I had a upset stomach as a child my mother gave me the Castor Oil & juice mixture and my stomach ache soon went away and I still use Castor Oil in this way although now I just take it straight for the taste doesn't bother me...much for I hold my nose and just swallow it quickly and follow it with a lots of water.

Also, one of the best qualities is that it was wonderful hair growing properties. I use it on my eyelashes to keep them lush, soft and healthy since I prefer to wear waterproof mascara; on my eyebrows when I have gaps and/or when I mistakenly over pluck/thread them; and I use it on my hairline and hair to grow the hair on my head. As for the latter method, since Castor Oil is very thick, I dilute it with jojoba oil and other essential oils to boost the hair growing properties of the essential oils mixture and it has worked wonders. My hair has literally grown 3 inches in a little more than 4 months by applying this mixture to my scalp and hair twice day, everyday and I am a woman of color with course relaxed 4A/4B hair which is 13+ weeks post-relaxing as of the date of this review -- and my hair is super soft and moisturized, especially my new growth and the ends of my hair.

Castor Oil is an awesome HG product and I am never without and IMHO is must have oil for everyone.

14 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2009 3:07:00 PM More reviews by ashley920

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been using this on my eyelashes & eyebrows for little over a month now & i can see a huge difference!!! My eyelashes were already long, but now they're so much softer, and a lot more volume! My eyebrows werent too bad..they could be just a little bit fuller... & the castor oil really did do the trick!

I have also used the castor oil for the OCM (oil cleansing method). I steam my face & massage the oil on my face for 5-10 mins. i go back & forth with this, from steaming my face with a hot rag, and massaging the oil. I finish off my wiping the oil off of my face with a rag & then splashing my face with cold water to close my pores. I am VERY OILY SKIN & i am acne prone...believe me ladies...try this! MY face is sooo smooth & i have noticed that my redness has gone down a tad bit! when i do this, i can feel my pores purging all of the gunk out and onto my face! My blackheads on my nose & chin are barely there anymore!!! A couple times when you do this, you might break out for a week or two, but after that my skin has been very clear!!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/7/2009 2:19:00 PM More reviews by loveisblind

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

I have been using this product for about 2 months now on my eyelashes and I don't think it has helped my lashes grow. I have been using this every night. I will continue to use this to see if there will be any difference down the line but for now I think castor oil just helps to maybe condition lashes. It's good to know that it has helped some people's lashes grow. I already have long eyelashes but I just wanted really fully eyelashes. I guess you could say I was aiming for the false eye lash effect. Maybe it works for some but not others. This stuff is cheap so give it a try. You have nothing to loose.

UPDATE***
I have stopped using this product b/c causes me to get styes (sp). I didn't realize that this was causing the styes until I read somewhere that castor oil can do that. I now use olive oil on my eyelashes and so far no styes.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2009 3:07:00 PM More reviews by novelist

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Edited to add 1/31/10: It has taken the better part of a year, but the hairs throughout the brow, from head to tail, are noticeably fuller, probably by about 30 percent. I continue with the same routine, except now I use MUFE Brow Corrector which works great with the bit of squalane rubbed into the brow hairs.

About a year ago, I started using castor oil on my brows to try to reverse the loss of hairs and loss of softness which had occurred because of certain ingredients in brow products which over the course of time had stunted growth and made the hair really coarse. My age has caused some decline in hair production of my brows but I was determined to at least try to make up for the damage done by brow products.

The process was three-step. First, I refused to use any brow product without first working a bit of Smith's Rosebud Salve or a drop of squalane into the hairs. Then I ditched products with wax and the Laura Mercier Brow Definer which I truly loved. Her products used to have a lot more castor oil and good ingredients in them and they have become degraded with cheaper chemicals. The last step was to rub into the brow hairs each night, after my nightly face ritual, some of the castor oil from the little bottle I keep in my water closet (that way it is warm).

I can honestly say that the hair which had disappeared is back; new hairs, I don't think so. I think this gentle bean derivative is very good for restoring the hair follicle and thus regenerating recently lost hair. In addition, the brow hairs are very soft. Gone is the coarseness which had been a problem for a few years. I also use it for cuticles which have split and continue to resist healing (because of the dry air which caused them to split) and castor oil ends the vicious cycle. I have even used it on split corners of my mouth.

I will re-purchase on a yearly basis because I think that air getting into the small bottle degrades the oil somewhat, but it is cheaper than dirt.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/6/2009 1:04:00 PM More reviews by GingerLemon

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

After using Castor Oil on my brows and lashes, I noticed a difference in the growth of both lashes and brows.
My lashes are more filled in and longer, my brows are starting to get thicker.
Although I don't think my brows or lashes will ever be extra-lush (never were) they are lusher than before.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2009 12:35:00 PM More reviews by josiecat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I don't think this really makes more lashes grow. However, it does condition my lashes so that I lose fewer of them & the ones I have already have are able to keep growing a bit. I definitely notice a difference, but it's not that dramatic. I think it's worth a try, especially since castor oil is dirt cheap.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2009 11:53:00 AM More reviews by ManhattanMermaid

WOW, this really did make my lashes grow longer in 3 weeks (and I even skipped a night or two)! I am totally surprised. It also made the sparse parts of my eye brows grow in, now I no longer have lopsided brows! I took off one lippie because it didn't give me the extra thickening of the lashes that I wanted, but I am going to continue to use this and if my eyelashes do thicken, I will add the extra lippie.

What I did was trim the very tips of my lashes. Then applied the castor oil for 3 weeks. It worked! They are longer than what I started with. Some lashes are longer than others but, that's okay with me, it just shows that the product is working. With mascara on (CG Lash Blast) my lashes miss my eyebrows by a couple of millimeters!