4.3

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

on 9/14/2010 12:39:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I wouldnt have even known about this if it wasnt for MUA and there I was about to blow 50 on rapidlash!
Ive only been using it for 2 weeks now on my brows and lashes and people are already asking me what Ive done to them and what mascara I wear...delighted with the reults so far AND it was only 3.95 for a bottle yay! I also use it in my OCM to take off makeup only been doing that about a week so i will update in due course :)

Hello. You are reading this review. But what you really want to do is go to the selection bars at the top of this page and select reviews by "most helpful". And read those reviews. Those are the reviews that got me using this for my lashes. I have stick straight, transparent lashes (because I have Chinese ancestry) of a moderate length. After conditioning them with castor oil every night for two weeks -- I dampen a q-tip with the oil and then run it along my lash lines as if I am applying eyeliner -- my lashes are thicker, longer, and there are more of them. I now look like I am wearing eyeliner when I am not. I have also tried castor oil for healing grazes after they have scabbed -- it works; I have used it for conditioning my hair pre-shampoo -- it works too, but it is extremely sticky and difficult to wash out (perhaps I used too much?); I have used it in an oil cleansing method (pre-cleanse with castor oil and then wash off the oil with Pears soap) for taking off my makeup and sunscreen -- this works too, but in the winter when my skin is dry, the castor oil dries it out more. My absolute favourite use of this is for lash growth... and ocassionally brow growth.

it's an essential part of my beauty product .I have been using it
scince the age of 15 .it's the only effective remedy for eye lashes &
brows no other product works the same for thicking them
also it's amazing to use it on your scalp & dry ends
it's the must have oil for any one

on 7/20/2010 3:18:00 AM

Where do I begin? From being an effective colon cleansing and moisture restoring laxative, to skin moisturizer to hair loss prevention, this is a must to have in your secret holistic stash you don't want your label loving friends to find out about. Just kidding, tell everyone, they will thank you. My mama did it throughout the entire communist regime, mascara was tough to come by and this made lashes grow fast, strong, full and DARK! Just watch what you buy, I get organic, cold pressed oil and it's very pale yellow and barely has any scent unlike other brands. Make sure you get it from a credible health store, not a supermarket. I am currently treating my lashes that started to fall out from new mascara I wish I haven't tried and it's my go to treatment if I go tweezer-happy on my eyebrows.
**UPDATE 05/20/2011 Still using it whenever I remember or feel like lashes need a boost, taking breaks in between so I don't get used to it. My eyebrows still look fantastic, fullest I've ever seen them, well defined, nice arch; my best friend commented on how nice my eyebrows look and she thought I had them professionally done and filled in and all I do is quickly shave off (yes, with an electric trimmer) excessive hair at the bottom and top and my eyebrows look good enough to skip defining.
*UPDATE 11/29/2010* I've been applying my castor oil on my lashes 5-6 times a week for 2 weeks straight and my own lashes have grown about 3 mm while wherever I had tiny gaps on my lashline from excessive loss I now see about 2-3 mm of baby lash growth, very fine and light "sprouts". For better coverage, I picked up a pack of disposable mascara wands at Sally's and use those to apply the oil instead, working it in thoroughly, ensuring that every single lash is coated with oil. IMPORTANT TIP: if you want to increase the effectiveness of castor oil, keep in mind that most oils work best when lightly heated, that ensures better absorption into your skin, therefore you achieve desired results faster. Best way to warm the oil to safe temperature and without wasting more than you need per each use, fill a mug with boiling water and dip a regular teaspoon or a table spoon and leave it in water for few minutes (metal conducts heat quickly so the spoon will heat up pretty quickly). Dry the spoon and quickly pour some oil in (about half of spoon is all you need!) and start stirring the oil quickly to distribute the heat evenly. This method is the safest way to heat the oil to the perfect temperature without worrying that it will be too hot. Dip your brush and run it on the edge of the spoon to get rid of the excess, otherwise you will have oil dripping down your lashes and getting into your eyes (it's totally safe, just uncomfortable and unnecessary lol). Brush eyelashes thoroughly, ensuring you cover everything from inner to outer corner as well as bottom lashes. If oil cools too quickly before you get to the other eye, re-heat again and proceed with application. Any leftover oil is good to be applied onto your eyebrows. I deliberately nicked an area on my eyebrows with a trimmer to track the hair growth and it's almost filled now! In just two weeks!!! Please note that the heating method is optional, you will still see good results if you just apply castor oil without heating it but I find that my personal results were much better when I heated the oil. Another important factor is that despite how thick and goopy, it didn't clog my pores and I didn't break out! I'm extremely happy to have my old beautiful lashes growing back and now I am using castor oil on my scalp as part of my hair growth boosting regime along with my other products.
*UPDATE 12/16/2010 My lashes are reaching my eyebrows at this point, they are still fair-coloured although new growth is far more visible now and looks darker. My eyebrows are very thick now and even spots that stopped growing after overplucking them as a teen are now showing random hair sprouts here and there. I'm now using the oil every other day or so and now I try to do it immediately after shower while my pores are open so the oil absorbs better. Biggest relief is in fact that I don't get millia from using this method and I'm prone to those.

on 7/18/2010 12:22:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Wow. This works. I don't know how it works, or what the science is behind it, but it works. Within two days of applying this to my eyebrows both my mom and sister looked at my face and said, "You look different.." I told them I had just started the castor oil . I'm now going to start applying this to my lashes. Thank you to the women of makeup alley for suggesting this. I no longer look perpetually surprised.

UPDATE: The results definitely plateaued. I don't see amazing growth nor fullness in my brows anymore. I've been doing research and women have been seeing success with Rogaine (minoxidil) for Men on their brows (Youtube it). I'm going to try that next. But a positive is this stuff is amazing for nail growth. If you want nails... try this. They'll grow freakishly fast.

on 7/9/2010 6:19:00 PM

A little over a month ago my girlfriend convinced me to get temporary lash extensions from a salon. BIG MISTAKE!!! The glue used for these fake individual lashes is like cement. Yes the lashes lasted for a bout two weeks but ALL of my real lashes came off with them. My eyelids were bald and I wanted to cry because I was suppose to be in a wedding in two weeks. I didnt have money or time for Latisse, Revitalash, etc I posted my dilema on Makeup alley and so many people said to give castor oil a try. For two weeks I applied everyday sometimes twice. In two weeks just in time for the wedding I had enough eyelashes to curl and apply mascara. This stuff was a life saver it made my lashes grow in two weeks. They are darker and thicker than before. Its really a miracle. I used plain old CVS brand castor oil that I paid $4.99. Ladies stay away from false lashes and give castor oil a try. I'm usually a skeptic when it comes to beauty products but this stuff works

on 7/8/2010 5:13:00 AM

Hi All,

Just a quick comment to everyone - be careful putting oils near/on the eyes. Make sure it doesn't get into the eyes when you sleep etc. This goes for creams as well - particularly the ones that don't absorb quickly.

I had a blepheroplasty on my eyes about 5 years ago (removes bags/puffiness) and the surgeon said that a lot of puffiness is a result of products going into the eye.

Use carefully!

Suzanne

I am loving this product! about 2 weeks ago I bought it as an inexpensive alternative for hair growth. I have mostly used it just on my brows in case I experienced any irritation. The results were fantastic! My brows grow faster which is great if you accidentally over plucked them, and my normally thin eyebrows appear much thicker. I don't have to fill them in as much which is great! It's cheap and works fabulously! I can't wait to see more results! Also, I completely disagree with other reviewers. I feel that in comparison to other hair regrowth treatments on the market, this is by far the fastest way. Most hair treatments can take more than six weeks to even see results.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

this takes time
i have been putting it on my lashes since last september and now its like july!!

and they have grown
they are thicker and stronger

they are very long
ppl tell me how long my lashes are.
and it softens the eye area overnight
and its good
while i'm at it
i put castor oil on my lips
because they ARE VERY DRY
and now normally my lips are okay
lol
go try castor oil out no harm done. :)

on 6/23/2010 12:24:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I've known about this product and its miraculous results long before I tried it but I never had a reason to use it until lately: my stylist cut my hair shorter than I would have liked it and so I wanted it to grow faster.

I use it once-twice a week by applying it on my scalp, massaging it in and letting it sit for at least half an hour before I shampoo my hair. You'll have to be careful when washing it off, you'll have to shampoo more thorougly than usual and rinse with warm water abundently, or else it's going to stick to your hair and make it look greasy.
The first result I saw was that my hair did not fall out any longer. This is not a problem for me, just because I have strong and dense hair, but I imagine that it would be of great help for people who have thin, brittle hair that falls out. After about a month I noticed that my hair was certainly much longer, it must have grown about 3cm, and the hair is supposed to grow an average of 1cm per month.

I am currently using it on my hair, as well as on my lashes and my brows and I would definitely repurchase because it's a natural and cheap means of making your hair look fab!

EDIT: After thoroughly using it for months, I have noticed my lashes being longer, more dense and not falling out as much, which for me is a problem because of the constant use of false lashes.
Also I feel like it makes my eyebrows stay in shape after I've put it on at night.

So far the only con I have on castor oil is that when I first started using it on my eye area, it left my skin a little irritated and caused puffyness. I try to be as careful as possible to get it only at the roots of my lashes and brows so it doesn't get smudged all over the skin.

Popular Brows Products