Castor Oil

4.4

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

on 3/10/2010 11:25:00 AM

Really was hoping to get just some of teh good results everyone raves about on here with this oil among amny other but nada lol. I don't know why but any oil I have tried for my fac ends up clogging and breaking me out. Since I was noly using castor for my lashes and brows hoped Ild be okay but no difference at all. I do have long lashs to begin with and was just using this more as a strengthener/treatment and jsut wanted my brows to get a little denser and more full. Did absolutely nothing but give my clogged pores even on my lids. I'm officially done with oils after this and don't understand how so many people have such miracle results with this lol. I have also heard Castor Oil is good for a hair treatment in balancing the scalpt and helping your hair grown stronger and fuller. I really would lvoe to try it for that but jsut don't see that being practical considering how thick and glue like this oil is. I honestly dont feel like my shampoo would even be able to wash this out yet alone for me to even be able to massage this into my scalp without my hair turning into a rats nest. IF anyone has any tips appreciate it!! Otherwise I'm no more with castor oil.

on 3/10/2010 11:13:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Last month, I started using regular castor oil that I found in the pharmacy. And I must say that it has been the best thing I have brought for my body. Its so multipurpose! I use it to clean/hydrate my face, to grow my lashes, to control my very stubborn hair, and to sometime detox (hell of a pain)

I cannot believe I didn't use this sooner. From now on, I will use this weekly on my face. Its a miracle worker!

on 3/9/2010 10:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

It's been about 4 weeks and I'm still not sure if this is actually working for me. Either it's working or it's from lack of tweezing. Although my brow hair have grown thicker, the main areas where I want to grow aren't growing (center middle). And after 3 days of using it for my lashes I stopped. I found it really annoying waking up in the morning feeling like I had a lot of eye booger/watery.

on 3/6/2010 9:11:00 PM

Update- 6-5-10

I been using this almost every night since march and I have to say this works like a conditioner. It doesnt make my lashes grow longer but it nourish it and I get less lashes falling out and my lashes look thicker but not longer. It's not a miracle product for me but I will still keep using it since it conditions my lashes well. I will still give it 3 lippies.

I hear so many good things about this. I just put this on with a q tip and I am right about to sleep. It doesnt sting or smell which is good. I coat all my lashes with this on. I am going to update in a few weeks.

on 3/6/2010 9:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Started applying about 3 weeks ago to my lashes with a Q-tip almost every night before bed. I'M NOTICING A DIFFERENCE! I have short full lashes with no curl on top and short sparse lashes on bottom. After about 3 weeks my top lashes are thicker, slightly longer and holding a slight curl (on their own). Bottom lashes are thicker and fuller. Have actually gotten a comment/compliment on my lashes (normally that never happens) just the other day. Will update after a month, but I'm noticing some differences, even if they are slight. And given the price of castor oil (cheap) much better than doing the fiberwig thing?! Oh, and another thing...I was worried it would get in my eyes or cause my eyes to get 'blurry' from the oil (my eyes are sensitive to that kind of thing) and NOTHING. No issues with blurred vision or itching or anything. I'm really pleased so far. Will update in a few more weeks.
8/2013-update-realized I never updated this. After 3 months of use my lashes were brushing against my glasses, crazy. Over time I must have gotten bored with this and quit using it. Then found it again about a month ago. Now I use it 3x/week and I have again noticed an improvement in my lashes. I like not using it every night and still seeing an improvement.

on 2/21/2010 11:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Applied every night for 4 weeks to brows with a cotton bud, and to eyelashes with a mascara wand. Got absolutely no results in either brow or lash growth in that time.

on 2/20/2010 8:44:00 PM

I had been using this with some moderate success on lashes-- no miracles, but lashes seemed thicker.

So decided to double up, and add some castor oil to the blend of oils I was using to remove eye makeup and protect my eye area while washing face with soap a la Laszlo/ Sartin ritual.

Big mistake! The castor oil made the rest of the oils really sticky. I washed twice to remove it, using lots of soap. Nevertheless, the next day I woke with breakouts over my cheeks! Acne cosmetica. I NEVER get breakouts there, but clearly the castor oil was the culprit, as it was the only change to my routine, and it never happened again when I tossed the castor oil blend.

So beware of claims that castor oil is noncomedogenic and great for oil cleansing. YMMV. I didn't break out with jojoba, with grapeseed , or with apricot oil, and they are supposed to be more comedogenic than castor oil. Not for me!

Now that bottle of castor oil, full strength, will last forever, cause I'm only using a teensy bit on lashes.

I'd give this a 0 rating for use on skin, and wouldn't buy it again, except it deserves a 3 for eyelash use.

on 2/17/2010 1:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

This is a great alternative to vaseline, its a thick oil that leaves my skin soft in the morning. And only vaseline and this does that, my skin is soo dry! This stuff is amazing, and not sticky like the jelly.

on 2/17/2010 11:20:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Castor Oil has worked quite well for me. I've been using it for 2 months or so now and have definately noticed a difference. I use it on my lashes. Before using this, my lashes were thin, and they weren't long at all. Very mediocre lashes basically! However, I've been applying castor oil about 5 times a week once a day to my lashes and wow...they have grown so much! Obviously I wasn't expecting my eyelashes to look like falsies or anything, I was very realistic about my results and if you aren't then I think you'll be disappointed. But I'm very happy with my results. My lashes are definately longer, to the point where I can look in the mirror and say "damn, my lashes are looking pretty good!" and they're slightly thicker too. They don't fall out as much as they used to either. Will definately continue using.

on 2/17/2010 11:05:00 AM

This is one of the cult natural products from our grandmothers' shelves that some of us have forgotten about...fortunately i remembered just in time and started using it (again) after the ladies on YouTube started hunting for the eyelash growth products and i got scared at those prices....

Well. This is a natural oil, very thick, odorless (though mine smells a little, just a little, the usual 'oily' smell, a bit similar to sunflower seed oil in a way), that came in a small glass bottle without a pump, for the price of 40 swedish crowns, approx. 4 euros at one of the pharmacies in my city. very cheap therefore.

i remember my mother always telling me to use this on my eyelashes because this is how she used to condition hers during her college years, and my mom doesn't have extremely long lashes but they have always been very thick and dark. i used to occasionally put this on but over the years i forgot about it, obviously, and came back to this wonderful product several months ago.

what i can honestly say is that this oil will not give the humongousness LiLash does or other products like that, meaning it is slower because it is natural, no chemically motivated teams of researchers willing to throw in the little tube for 100 bucks behind this. It is a very good product that will first of all, condition your lashes, then help them recover, nourish their roots, make them grow thicker, darker and faster.

my lashes were always crispy and not necessarily thick, or very long. after using this and vaseline, alternating between these two products almost every night before going to bed, and it's been a real change for my lashes.

they are darker, longer, WAY thicker, and darker. the most important change, and a dramatic one i can say, happened in the thickness department. i couldn't be more satisfied, and the product is going to last me forever, it is 100% natural so almost no side effects or other inconveniences. also, i have applied it on my eyebrows and they have definitely improved- apart from the hairs growing up super fast and filling in the little gaps owned to overplucking, they are longer, thicker and shinier. no groucho marx effect whatsoever yet i got beautiful, luscious eyebrows faster than lashes- basically it worked faster for my eyebrows, i noticed the difference in about 2 weeks of daily use.

i have also tried it on my hairline, yep. i paranoically think i have a hairline similar to the one of Tyra Banks, which is not true :))), but i think my forehead is just a little bit high. sooo i decided, after reading some reviews here on MUA in which the girls said they got good results on that area, to try it myself. and boy was i surprised! my baby hair is now quite 'hair' in the real sense of the word and i couldn't be happier!

haven't regularly tried it as a hair mask or combined with other ingredients for the aforementioned purpose because i remember using it a few years back and having to wash my hair several times to completely rinse the oil off, and i quite never had the time to do this, but the first opportunity i'm getting, i'm jumping on it.

i am VERY happy with this oil. even if i had the money to spend on a Lilash, for example, i would think twice because i don't like applying something chemical that close to my eyes. i hope this review will not be taken as a negative publicity attempt at discrediting eyelash growth products, i am very thrilled that such things exist and maybe one day i will muster all my courage and try one of them. but until then, i am happy with this natural product. also, i have seen the results of some products (okay, no more names!) on some of the YouTube girls, or some beauty bloggers, and while i really love the length and thickness, i don't really like the uber-fake-curliness of the lashes, the patchiness (some lashes grow faster than the others) and the fact that they will eventually fall off when discontinuing using the product.

so, for all the girls who're fancying some eyelash growth but are not fully decided yet- try vaseline and castor oil first. you will condition your lashes very effectively and 100% naturally without having to spend a fortune. definitely recommend this oil.

Popular Brows Products