September 23, 2014 | 1636 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

This product has been discontinued

rated 3 of 5 on 11/15/2010 5:14:00 PM More reviews by JuliFran

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Ok so I used this and it is so good with coverage. It's blendable and feels nice on my skin. It is affordable and I'd say if it's a little more expensive than you'd like your foundation to be than honestly don't turn to something else because there's a lot of cheaper drugstore foundations but the price isn't a whole lot different but the product is! This is really worth the extra $3 or what not. The only thing is if you have sensitive or acne prone skin like I have (my skin has breakouts) then SERIOUSLY wash your face!! Ok, cuz a couple times I got lazy and didn't wash my face at night (..I know) but in the morning I regretted it. Because if you don't use this stuff carefully then yes it will break you out and if you don't moisturize your skin then YES of course it will cake up on the dry parts but that's kind of expected with liquid foundation and really any foundation. So don't use this if your LAZY because I promise you this stuff can't be on your face all day and night you will get pimples. Just be careful because it really does stay on your face and it may clog your pores if you leave it on too long while it mixes with your face's oil and what not. And I'd say make sure to get a decent makeup remover. But definetly give it a shot. I use a stippling brush and it works great

rated 3 of 5 on 11/14/2010 4:27:00 PM More reviews by xdainty

I have slightly oily skin, so I was hoping for a foundation that had beautiful coverage & didn't look cakey. First off - the packaging. It has no pump & you have to pour the foundation out which can be a huge pain. But if you close the bottle & shake it, foundation gets in the lid & you can put your brush in to get it out, so that wasn't TOO much of a problem for me. I like this foundation, but I have slightly oily skin & after an hour or two it wears away & begins to look cakey.. this might be my own fault though because I don't use powder over it. The coverage is okay, I heard it's full coverage so I ran to the store to get it. I tried applying it with a brush & didn't like it too much so I used my fingers.. a little bit better, but for me the coverage was pretty sheer. Again, it might be because I have oily skin or maybe I just purchased a bad bottle! :P I don't have terrible skin, I only wanted to cover a blemish here, a scar there & of course dark circles. It barely covered my dark circles [which are barely there?] & it caked a bit if I used concealer. I wouldn't say it's buildable, because when I applied a thin layer, let it dry & applied another layer - my little sister kept telling me how cakey my faced looked. This foundation ALSO dries EXTREMELY fast which doesn't give you any time to blend, so I would recommend working in small areas at a time.
    & I noticed it makes big pores VERY visible & makes them stand out quite a bit. Almost all other reviews I've read about this are positive & people seem to really like this product - so it must be my skin or a bad bottle! x

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2010 11:53:00 AM More reviews by Mandibulo

I can't believe I don't have any complaints about this product. I never thought I'd find a foundation that would make me happy, but this one seems to have stood out somehow. For reference, I'm NC25 in Mac and I have this in "Buff" (Dry Skin formula), which is a perfect color match for me. Couldn't be any more successful. Which was very surprising, since it's a drugstore foundation and generally you have to be somewhat cautious with those shades - being a drugstore product though, it's so much more afforable than higher end foundations, while still delivering comparable results. On to its performace, no complaints about that either. I didn't find it to be full coverage like most people claim it is, for me it was rather medium but quite buildable. Wore it for 10 hours straight yesterday, where I hugged, kissed, ate, drank, wiped my face, and it hadn't budged or transferred by the time I got home at night; so it is indeed long-wearing. Also I hear it sets matte, which I didn't quite agree with at first, since you could still see my skin's natural sheen coming through, but later on I realized this was probably due to my moisturizer that hadn't been thoroughly absorbed - not that I minded that slightly dewier look. After a couple hours though the finish of my skin was considerably more matte, but without caking up at all, so good going! This does everything it's promised: Lasts long, stays matte, doesn't fade, doesn't transfer, doesn't cake up, doesn't dry up the skin, maintains its coverage all day. Never tried Mac Studio Fix fluid, but I don't think I'll get around to it any time soon with this in my possession. 4 lippies instead of 5 because depending on how you apply it, it can often look like "makeup", but that's a minor flaw. Will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2010 3:41:00 AM More reviews by xxtine1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

2nd HG (if thats possible!) after MAC studio fix.
    Pros: Full coverage, think I have my perfect colour match.
    Doesn't smell bad like MAC.

Cons: Doesn't dry as quickly as studio fix.
    Feel like it is a bit patchy and doesn't quite last as long as I would like.

Not cheap $NZ45 but I try and buy it when Revlon does GWP.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2010 3:57:00 PM More reviews by garagesale

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

As far as drug store foundations go, ColorStay is the highest quality. Besides the heavy perfume, this foundation is just as good and offers as much coverage as MAC Studio Fix Fluid.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/13/2010 3:02:00 PM More reviews by RawrRawr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I really like how long this foundation lasts on the face execpt when it comes to the end of the day and I just want to take all my makeup off. This stuff stuck to my face like glue! When I wear this I have to wash my face with my face wash, then exfoliate, then face wash again, and after all of that there is still resedue of the foundation on my face! Non-the less I would reccomend this foundation. I find it med-full coverage.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/13/2010 1:43:00 AM More reviews by RicheleBarbie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

great for oily skin but not great for overly oily skin like mine. provides full coverage which is a bit too much for me. it looks better on women like my mom who finds it as a dupe for estee lauders (the name is on the tip of my tongue!) liquid foundation. just a bit too much coverage for me. sort of hard to find colors. my mom uses 340 which is the early tan & I have 320 true beige. the 320 is too tan for me but then 330 is a bit light & 340 is perfect. so not too consistent.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2010 9:03:00 PM More reviews by catherinemariie

This was the first liquid foundation I had ever tried, ever. Before this product I had mostly stuck with various powders and my Bare Minerals. When I first put this on, though, I was absolutely floored at how well it covered my various blemishes and uneven skin. I also liked the matte finish and lasting power.

I didn't realize just how good this foundation was, however, until I tried experimenting with others; I slowly came to the realization that other drugstore foundations like Neutrogena Healthy Skin and Revlon PhotoReady either broke me out, didn't give enough coverage, or had a wacky finish.

This is the foundation I keep coming back to, and with a price so relatively low compared to high end brands, I think I can officially call this my HG. :)

To apply:
    I pour some onto the back of my hand, and apply it with my fingertips, working in small sections. Then I apply another thin layer for extra coverage where I need it (yes, folks, it's buildable!) and set it all with a powder.

I have very dry skin, so I have to be sure to exfoliate properly and moiosturize very well; on good days sometimes I'll mix this foundation with my moisturizer to get a more natural, light coverage. Sometimes it almost looks TOO matte after I put it on and set it with a powder: "chalky," almost. However this effect usually disappears fairly soon after application, and I suspect it could be remedied completely with the use of a setting spray of some sort (I don't have one at the moment, but it seems like it would help).

As far as the packaging goes: a pump would be lovely, but I can totally live with the simple bottle. The formula is thick enough (VERY thick, you have to cover your face in small sections to make sure it blends properly) to pour out very slowly, so it's not as easy to pour out too much as you might think.

Overall, I was very pleased; I already have repurchased and intend to continue doing so in the future.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2010 4:39:00 PM More reviews by ikutsa

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is for the Combination/Oily Colorstay~

One of the BEST foundations I have ever used and I donít think I could stray away from it~! Iíve been using Colorstay for the past four years, and I still cannot find a significant fault with it, other than the fact that there is no pump, which is essentially the only thing missing from keeping this foundation from being a real winner and all rounder.

Iím in the shade Ivory, and although it is slightly too dark-ish for me, itís a pretty decent match. Packaging wise, like I said above about the pump, the bottle itself is pretty bulky, but I donít carry any MU with me for touch upís, (once itís on in the morning, itís not going on again) I donít have a problem with the glass bottle and itís chunky-ness.

I find that when Iím trying to get product out, maybe a little too much comes out, which turns out to be product wasted, as quite frankly, a little goes a long way with this stuff, well for myself anyway~! The smell, uh, itís got a smell, but what foundation doesnít, I donít notice it to be quite honest, and Iíve never had anyone say to me Ďyour face smells a little funkyí, so it canít be all bad!

Iíve found the best way to apply this is with my fingers, thanks to the suggestion of another reviewer. I did previously apply with a brush/damp sponge, but I found that I couldnít blend quick enough, or Iíd end up with brush marks and a patchy face! The trick to getting the flawless look with this foundation is blending with speed!

I pour a small amount onto clean palms, rub them together to warm the foundation up slightly, and just apply to my entire face and blend down my neck, just like I would with my moisturizer. I know that using the palms of the hands isnít exactly everyoneís cup Ďo tea, since there is the whole Ďyouíve got oils on your palmsí and stuff, but it doesnít bother me, as I know my palms are freshly washed, this method works so well for me because it takes seconds to apply with my hands, rather than minutes with a brush!

I always set with powder afterwards, as Iím very oily, and I feel awkward if I donít set any foundation! Iíd say that if you have dry skin and pick the wrong one up, go back and exchange, the Combo/oily one WILL show any dry skin, I usually get some around my chin in the winter, and boy does it show if you donít moisturize properly or enough!

A word of warning though, if you donít get this stuff off of your face properly, you are most likely going to break out. It does sink into your skin, but a proper clean after youíve removed will prevent. Iíve never really had a problem after I discovered that, so I always make sure my skin is extra clean after wearing this stuff~

Overall, Iíve been using this stuff for four years, and now that Iím a lot more experienced with make-up and I actually know what Iím doing, I really can appreciate this foundation. It covers all my acne marks, blemishes and even takes most of my dark circles away. If youíre considering in buying this foundation, donít hesitate, as itís been a miracle worker in helping me boost my confidence, as clichť as that may sound, but when you feel good and look good self esteem and confidence will grow~!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2010 2:15:00 PM More reviews by musiclives

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

My favourite foundation. I'm a NC20 to a light NC25, and I combine Buff and Sand Beige for the perfect shade. This applies best on moisturized skin. I find when my skin is dry is kind of drags and applies really patchy, because of the heavy coverage. I apply this with my fingers. I've tried using a 190 and a skunk brush, but the coverage is much too heavy for me and I prefer the sheerer application with my fingers. This definitely has medium/full coverage and is really good for covering any redness. This foundation definitely runs yellow toned. Lasts all day, seriously.