September 30, 2014 | 1023 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 2 of 5 on 9/4/2008 4:17:00 PM More reviews by thequeenbee13

I LOVED this mascara the first time I used it... BUT the SMELL made me sick after awhile. UGH! Like a sweet rosy puke smell. BUT my lashes looked amazing.

My big fat gripe about this mascara is that after about 2 weeks, the thresh-hold (LOL, I don't know what else to call it... ) busted... so it was like sticking my brush in a tube of goop. You know when you have mascara FOREVER and it does that? Anyway, the first time, I thought it was just a fluke... but after two weeks, my second tube did the same thing. I've never had that happen.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/4/2008 1:46:00 PM More reviews by anshort4angel

I was using MACs splashproof and Lancome Curbvirtuous for a while. I always have problems with racoon eyes and smudging. Using those two for a couple months, the skin around my eyelashes have gotten extemely dry - maybe because of the mascara, maybe because of the removal of it... I wanted to find a mascara i can just slap on and wash off with the rest of my makeup (not using an eye makeup remover)... i bought this because of the reasonable reviews and great price at WalMart (only $5!!) I was amazed when after the first day - NO SMUDGING! It also washed off easily with the rest of my makeup/face... no need for strong cleansers. I could use my lazy defualt of Pampers baby wipes and it comes off without a problem. It definitely made my lashes fuller - not sure about longer, but a lot fuller - i guess you call it "volumized" i did NOT notice any smell, so i'm not sure what others noticed... i'm using the regular *not* the waterproof, so maybe that's why? Also - no clumping either!

great price and it works!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2008 4:10:00 PM More reviews by sienna0202

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like this mascara. It gives me big, full, noticable lashes. The brush lets you put on a few coats with no clumping. I generally like Maybelline mascaras and this one didn't disappoint. I would buy this before I bought DiorShow again. At the end of the day when I get ready to take off my eye make up I am constantly impressed by how good my lashes look. Definite repurchase. I must be in the minority because I didn't notice the smell of this at all. I read that it smells like DiorShow, not to me and I would have noticed that gross overly rosey smell. I say try this one out. For a drug store mascara it's a good find.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2008 10:28:00 AM More reviews by besidetheocean

I just upped this from 4 lippies to 5 after the compliments I received about my lashes yesterday. An aquaintance told me she was jealous of my naturally perfect eyelashes and my boyfriend out of the blue described them as "ridiculous" (this is a good thing). I was so focused on looking for volume from this mascara that I didn't notice the length it gave me. I think this was $7.99 well spent!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2008 3:07:00 AM More reviews by LexzCW

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Black

This mascara was such a disappointment for me. So many people seem to like it, so I was hoping that I would too, but I don't even think that I will be able to finish the tube I have (I can't even imagine living with this for three months).

Pros: This did give me dramatic lashes, very thick, lush, and sexy. Also, this seems to hold a curl well, which is important to me since my fine eyelashes are usually pretty curl-challenged.

Cons: This stuff smells! I know everyone talks about it on here, and I knew this going in, but I still can't stand it. Yes, the smell does fade somewhat (from awful to icky), but I can still smell it on my lashes an hour after I've applied it and it kind of makes my eyes tingle. Finally, this stuff flakes, which I have little tolerance for. It doesn't seem to matter if I apply just one coat, or many; this mascara seems very brittle and just normal blinking makes little pieces flake off. At least I didn't pay very much for this. $6 for a bad experience and a lesson learned.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/30/2008 10:13:00 PM More reviews by ZoSo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

This was just like DiorShow. However, I did not like Dior either. This was too wet! So wet that it didn't hold my curled eyelashes. It never felt dry to the touch. It smeared so bad that it gave me raccon eyes within a hour of wear. Not to mention it made them itch too. Sadly my search continues and this will be returned to the store.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2008 9:48:00 PM More reviews by vintagequeengf1

I love this mascara. I have been using it for going out at night, because I think that it can be a bit too much on me for the daytime. I like a more conservative mascara for work. This stuff is great for a dramatic look. I have medium to long, dark lashes, and I love mascara that really coats my lashes to the point of looking fake and Colossal definitely does that.

As other people have mentioned, it does smell terrible, but it only lasts a second. I could care less about smell as long as the product works and this does! I usually do two coats. The first coat tends to go on a little clumpy, as the formula is very thick (that's how I like it!). It just takes working the brush a little to prevent the clumps. It gives me super thick, dark lashes that really look too good to be true!

It holds up well, and I haven't had any problems with flaking or smudging. I think the fat brush gives me a great application, but you do have to be very careful not to hit your eye with the brush because it is so large, it can be hard to maneuver. Overall a great buy, and I will definitely repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/30/2008 9:02:00 PM More reviews by lattevaniglia

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

It's a good mascara for everyday use, nothing colossal though. It thickens and lengthens lashes without the clumps, but in my opinion looks best with a lot of eyeliner or shadow (it wouldn't be very noticeable otherwise). Probably my HG mascara for the moment.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/30/2008 12:55:00 PM More reviews by smilegrl188

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

1. It smells terrible.
2. DOES NOTHING for lashes. I have mid length/ normal thickness dark blonde/ light brown eyelashes and it actually made my lashes look WORSE than they did without mascara!
3. I got nothing but clumps, even when i wiped the wand off with a tissue.
4. No length. None. period.
5. Two slight coats gave spider lashes. and no, I didn't wait in between coats to let it dry.
6. Flakes off.
7. made my lashes feel crispy.
8. had a weird metallic sheen.
9. smudges like a raccoon.

I am so shocked to see that so many people like this mascara. I hated this mascara and warned all my girlfriend against its cute yellow and purple packaging. I will stick with Maybelline's Full and soft and Max Factors 2000 calorie instead.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/30/2008 12:10:00 AM More reviews by centric

I bought the waterproof one in the darkest black I could find, and this is now my HG drugstore mascara! This makes my eyelashes actually STAND OUT, and I have short asian eyelashes. Does not smudge, flake, and stays put for the whole day. The brush is big and fat, very similar to the Diorshow brush and really gets all your lashes. The mascara does have a scent to it, which from what I understand is the collagen at work.