December 18, 2014 | 1668 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2008 5:16:00 PM More reviews by bex9

For reference Im going to compare this with Last Blast and Diorshow... I give Colossal 3.5 lippies, Lash Blast 4, and Dior 5.
This is an OK product. Main beef: too clumpy. It's not as goopy as Lash Blast, but I still prefer LB to this because I would rather work with a mascara that comes out wet but smooth, rather than clumpy and dry. Neither were worth much as far a holding a curl goes. Both decent day to day mascara, can buy three drugstore tubes for every one of Dior, but personally its still worth it to keep a good Diorshow around for evenings out, times you really want to step it up a notch. They staying power is average, I noticed a few times that under the outter corners of my low lashes there were smudgey black marks. Nothing horrendous though. This might be a tad 'softer' feeling than LBlast, but the flakeyness of both is about the same.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/7/2008 9:10:00 PM More reviews by Ingrid

Somone compared this to DiorShow when you put it on. I agree with this but by the end of the day this weighs my eyelashes down so they are straight. Even when I curl them so for that reason... I'll stick with DiorShow or Lash Blast.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/7/2008 9:05:00 PM More reviews by bignewfdog

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Nice drugstore mascara. I don't notice any smell and it stands up to sports with no raccoon eyes. Not a super lengthening or thickening product for me, but certainly does the job of more expensive brands. Hard to find in drug stores, though. If you can grab a tube, try it - I'm glad that I did.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2008 7:18:00 PM More reviews by thisislara

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Um, YAY. I've been on a long search for a volumizing mascara and this is the first one that hasn't disappointed me. I'll have to comb out an occasional clump, but it's a wee price to pay for mascara that does what it promises. Oh, and that wonky scent faded after about five minutes for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/7/2008 6:31:00 PM More reviews by Emilyisradxcore

It's great if you squish off excess mascara on a piece of paper and then scoop the mascara back in the tube (if you want to save it, or make it last longer).

If i apply it straight out of the tube, it looks disgusting and clumpy...and just gross. Basically, if you know how to apply it, it's great!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/7/2008 5:21:00 PM More reviews by licoricepirate

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff smells like dandelions ..
The wand is very big & the formula's pretty runny/goopy.
Kinda ok i guess.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2008 3:18:00 PM More reviews by mollypop5

I love this mascara! Maybe it's because I've been using Maybelline Great Lash and this is SUCH a vast improvement from that ---- but I am truly pleased with this mascara. I love the fat bristled brush -- it only takes a few swoops of it over the lashes to get a decent amount of coverage. It doesn't flake or smudge and isn't too wet -- I do not like a wet mascara (part of my dislike w/ the Great Lash), plus it holds a curl. It separates and spreads the lashes, no clumping or spidery-ness, for a great wide-eyed look. It does have a rose-like smell, and though I can see how it would be annoying to those who are sensitive to fragrant products, this smell doesn't bother me, though later throughout the day I do get an occasional whiff of it. I just walked out and my husband said, "enough eye makeup!" -- and since I only have on one coat of this I thought, "perfect, just what I'm going for. Need to review it." Paid about $5.50 for it at Kroger grocery.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/7/2008 2:46:00 PM More reviews by texbelle11

A few days ago I saw my friend pull this mascara out of her makeup bag and wow...it made her lashes look insanely full and lush. I immediately looked up reviews here on MUA like always, and saw mostly glowing reviews. I have tried virtually every mascara on the market with my top faves being Mac Plushlash, Maybelline Full n Soft, and Benefit Bad Gal. The Colossal is a superior mascara which made my lashes look like falsies. LOVE! Plus, how can you not adore the canary yellow and bright purple packaging? Go buy now!

EDIT: After using this for a few weeks, my lashes became brittle and seemed really sparse. Almost like the chemicals in this formulation made my eyelashes fall out. Boo.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2008 2:00:00 PM More reviews by highheeled

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I don't understand the hype behind this mascara. The brush is too sparse for my liking, and the formula is simultaneously thin and gloppy. It gave me terrible, spider leg lashes - gross! And, to add insult to injury, Maybelline added some kind of bizarre scent to this mascara. I don't know about you all, but I don't think I want perfume near my eyes. Especially nasty perfume.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2008 12:00:00 PM More reviews by boilerbabe

This is seriously the best mascara I've ever used. I was considering dropping $20 on Too Faced Lash Injection again but saw the fun neon yellow tube and thought I'd give this a try. It's amazing! I got this awesome fake lashes look with just 2 or 3 coats. The only caveat, I guess, is also what I like the best about it...it just makes your lashes SO long...so putting it on your bottom lashes might look weird, I sometimes use a different mascara for the bottom ones.

BUY THIS! It's incredible.