August 1, 2014 | 1224 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2008 8:30:00 PM More reviews by lilacmess

I don't understand the complaints about the fragrance. First of all, it smells like roses, which I don't think is so horrible. Second, the scent goes away after about 1 second.
I have this in black. It is pretty dramatic (makes my lashes look thick and lengthens them so that they actually hit my brow bone) and stays put for the most part -every once in a while I'll see a flake. On humid days, it clumps slightly during application, so I brush out the clumps with a clean mascara brush.
I apply 2-3 coats very quickly -if you let it dry in between coats, things will get messy.
I remove this with eye-makeup remover at night and then usually find a little residue in the morning that I have to take care of, so it's a little harder to remove than I would like. But, really, it's no big deal.
My lashes feel very healthy, so it doesn't seem to be damaging.
Overall, a good, inexpensive mascara.

Edit: Now that I've been using this for a couple of months, it's clumping and flaking LIKE CRAZY. I'm going to buy one more tube to see if mine is just too old -but I don't feel like I should have to replace my mascara every few weeks.
Also, the little washer thingy sometimes comes off when I pull the brush out of the tube, and it's a pain in the arse.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/6/2008 8:14:00 PM More reviews by korina981

I couldn't get passed the odor. I used it for about 3 weeks but could not get used to it.. The odor lingers too; it's not like it just goes away. Like literally I could smell it sometimes the whole commute and then some. The mascara itself works okay but that odor is horrible.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2008 2:34:00 PM More reviews by princess_jessica

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Gorgeous lashes! Long, thick and perfect. A cheapy version of Diorshow with the same thick giant brush, and rose smell. Not awful like other reviewers said. Gets every last bottom lash when used vertical. Lasts through tears with no run or smear, I probably will stick with this even if a waterproof version comes out! Comes off so easy with cleanser and h2o in the shower. Def a HG, especially for under 10 bucks!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/6/2008 6:22:00 AM More reviews by mzz_shorty

The consistency is great and it makes my eyelashes look so long but the smell is SO WEIRD. I don't know what the ingredient is, but eh- I got used to it. I don't get as much volume as I would like, but for this price I still think it's a good product.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/6/2008 12:09:00 AM More reviews by urbanXglam

I have long lashes, and I'm just looking for something with volume, when I saw Colossal Volume Express, I decided to try it out because it promised 9x volume.

I don't really like it, I found that it gives me no volume whatsoever, and no length, it basically just coats my to make them a little darker, but other than that, it doesn't do anything. But, if I do do a couple of coats, I get a little volume, but nothing over the top or dramatic.

I did notice the smell, but it's not an "OH MY GOSH THIS SMELLS DISGUSTING" kind of smell, it's not really a strong or overpowering smell, I barely noticed it until I actually smelt my tube of mascara.

I'm going to continue using this mascara because I don't want to waste it, after a couple of coats there is minimal volume, this is a good safe natural mascara that darkens my lashes, coats them and with enough coats, gives them volume.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/4/2008 4:17:00 PM More reviews by thequeenbee13

I LOVED this mascara the first time I used it... BUT the SMELL made me sick after awhile. UGH! Like a sweet rosy puke smell. BUT my lashes looked amazing.

My big fat gripe about this mascara is that after about 2 weeks, the thresh-hold (LOL, I don't know what else to call it... ) busted... so it was like sticking my brush in a tube of goop. You know when you have mascara FOREVER and it does that? Anyway, the first time, I thought it was just a fluke... but after two weeks, my second tube did the same thing. I've never had that happen.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/4/2008 1:46:00 PM More reviews by anshort4angel

I was using MACs splashproof and Lancome Curbvirtuous for a while. I always have problems with racoon eyes and smudging. Using those two for a couple months, the skin around my eyelashes have gotten extemely dry - maybe because of the mascara, maybe because of the removal of it... I wanted to find a mascara i can just slap on and wash off with the rest of my makeup (not using an eye makeup remover)... i bought this because of the reasonable reviews and great price at WalMart (only $5!!) I was amazed when after the first day - NO SMUDGING! It also washed off easily with the rest of my makeup/face... no need for strong cleansers. I could use my lazy defualt of Pampers baby wipes and it comes off without a problem. It definitely made my lashes fuller - not sure about longer, but a lot fuller - i guess you call it "volumized" i did NOT notice any smell, so i'm not sure what others noticed... i'm using the regular *not* the waterproof, so maybe that's why? Also - no clumping either!

great price and it works!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2008 4:10:00 PM More reviews by sienna0202

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like this mascara. It gives me big, full, noticable lashes. The brush lets you put on a few coats with no clumping. I generally like Maybelline mascaras and this one didn't disappoint. I would buy this before I bought DiorShow again. At the end of the day when I get ready to take off my eye make up I am constantly impressed by how good my lashes look. Definite repurchase. I must be in the minority because I didn't notice the smell of this at all. I read that it smells like DiorShow, not to me and I would have noticed that gross overly rosey smell. I say try this one out. For a drug store mascara it's a good find.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2008 10:28:00 AM More reviews by besidetheocean

I just upped this from 4 lippies to 5 after the compliments I received about my lashes yesterday. An aquaintance told me she was jealous of my naturally perfect eyelashes and my boyfriend out of the blue described them as "ridiculous" (this is a good thing). I was so focused on looking for volume from this mascara that I didn't notice the length it gave me. I think this was $7.99 well spent!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2008 3:07:00 AM More reviews by LexzCW

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Black

This mascara was such a disappointment for me. So many people seem to like it, so I was hoping that I would too, but I don't even think that I will be able to finish the tube I have (I can't even imagine living with this for three months).

Pros: This did give me dramatic lashes, very thick, lush, and sexy. Also, this seems to hold a curl well, which is important to me since my fine eyelashes are usually pretty curl-challenged.

Cons: This stuff smells! I know everyone talks about it on here, and I knew this going in, but I still can't stand it. Yes, the smell does fade somewhat (from awful to icky), but I can still smell it on my lashes an hour after I've applied it and it kind of makes my eyes tingle. Finally, this stuff flakes, which I have little tolerance for. It doesn't seem to matter if I apply just one coat, or many; this mascara seems very brittle and just normal blinking makes little pieces flake off. At least I didn't pay very much for this. $6 for a bad experience and a lesson learned.