October 1, 2014 | 1787 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2008 8:56:00 PM More reviews by mwebba1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Okay, let me just say that this has a horrendous stench. I mean, what were they thinking? It smells like old tulips and hot garbage mixed together. But alas, even that wasn't enough to make me take one lippy off. Yes, ladies this is an amazing mascara. I cannot believe I payed only $6 for it at Wal Mart. I bought Wal Mart makeup! I fancy myself a makeup snob (slightly). But this seperated like mad, did not clump at all, curled my lashes and definitely gave me volume. Well done, Maybelline. Buy some, ladies.
**UPDATE** I dunno. It isn't performing like it did the first week. I think it dried down. Guess I'll remain a makeup snob beause my Lancome mascaras never did this. It started to clump to.
***UPDATE*** 10/05/08 I bought another one and we are back in business. I marvel at the fact that this look can come from a five dollar mascara. I've been a Lancome whore forever! And if it keeps on being two for one at Wal-Mart I'll keep lovon' it. We'll see how this one fares after a while.
***UPDATE*** 10/23/08 I am DONE with high end mascaras. I absolutely adore this little gem. I must say, thouhg that after dealing with the incredibly classy packaging of a Lancome mascara, this is a little gaudy-looking in my makeup bag. But I am done. My biggest problem with mascara is always smudging. This doesn't smudge underneath my eyes at all. I bought Lash Blast a while ago to compare so I'll review it when I am able to keep myself from using this. But I love you Maybelline! Smudges a little on me, though.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2008 5:16:00 PM More reviews by bex9

For reference Im going to compare this with Last Blast and Diorshow... I give Colossal 3.5 lippies, Lash Blast 4, and Dior 5.
This is an OK product. Main beef: too clumpy. It's not as goopy as Lash Blast, but I still prefer LB to this because I would rather work with a mascara that comes out wet but smooth, rather than clumpy and dry. Neither were worth much as far a holding a curl goes. Both decent day to day mascara, can buy three drugstore tubes for every one of Dior, but personally its still worth it to keep a good Diorshow around for evenings out, times you really want to step it up a notch. They staying power is average, I noticed a few times that under the outter corners of my low lashes there were smudgey black marks. Nothing horrendous though. This might be a tad 'softer' feeling than LBlast, but the flakeyness of both is about the same.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/7/2008 9:10:00 PM More reviews by Ingrid

Somone compared this to DiorShow when you put it on. I agree with this but by the end of the day this weighs my eyelashes down so they are straight. Even when I curl them so for that reason... I'll stick with DiorShow or Lash Blast.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/7/2008 9:05:00 PM More reviews by bignewfdog

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Nice drugstore mascara. I don't notice any smell and it stands up to sports with no raccoon eyes. Not a super lengthening or thickening product for me, but certainly does the job of more expensive brands. Hard to find in drug stores, though. If you can grab a tube, try it - I'm glad that I did.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2008 7:18:00 PM More reviews by thisislara

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Um, YAY. I've been on a long search for a volumizing mascara and this is the first one that hasn't disappointed me. I'll have to comb out an occasional clump, but it's a wee price to pay for mascara that does what it promises. Oh, and that wonky scent faded after about five minutes for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/7/2008 6:31:00 PM More reviews by Emilyisradxcore

It's great if you squish off excess mascara on a piece of paper and then scoop the mascara back in the tube (if you want to save it, or make it last longer).

If i apply it straight out of the tube, it looks disgusting and clumpy...and just gross. Basically, if you know how to apply it, it's great!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/7/2008 5:21:00 PM More reviews by licoricepirate

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff smells like dandelions ..
The wand is very big & the formula's pretty runny/goopy.
Kinda ok i guess.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2008 3:18:00 PM More reviews by mollypop5

I love this mascara! Maybe it's because I've been using Maybelline Great Lash and this is SUCH a vast improvement from that ---- but I am truly pleased with this mascara. I love the fat bristled brush -- it only takes a few swoops of it over the lashes to get a decent amount of coverage. It doesn't flake or smudge and isn't too wet -- I do not like a wet mascara (part of my dislike w/ the Great Lash), plus it holds a curl. It separates and spreads the lashes, no clumping or spidery-ness, for a great wide-eyed look. It does have a rose-like smell, and though I can see how it would be annoying to those who are sensitive to fragrant products, this smell doesn't bother me, though later throughout the day I do get an occasional whiff of it. I just walked out and my husband said, "enough eye makeup!" -- and since I only have on one coat of this I thought, "perfect, just what I'm going for. Need to review it." Paid about $5.50 for it at Kroger grocery.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/7/2008 2:46:00 PM More reviews by texbelle11

A few days ago I saw my friend pull this mascara out of her makeup bag and wow...it made her lashes look insanely full and lush. I immediately looked up reviews here on MUA like always, and saw mostly glowing reviews. I have tried virtually every mascara on the market with my top faves being Mac Plushlash, Maybelline Full n Soft, and Benefit Bad Gal. The Colossal is a superior mascara which made my lashes look like falsies. LOVE! Plus, how can you not adore the canary yellow and bright purple packaging? Go buy now!

EDIT: After using this for a few weeks, my lashes became brittle and seemed really sparse. Almost like the chemicals in this formulation made my eyelashes fall out. Boo.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2008 2:00:00 PM More reviews by highheeled

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I don't understand the hype behind this mascara. The brush is too sparse for my liking, and the formula is simultaneously thin and gloppy. It gave me terrible, spider leg lashes - gross! And, to add insult to injury, Maybelline added some kind of bizarre scent to this mascara. I don't know about you all, but I don't think I want perfume near my eyes. Especially nasty perfume.