September 18, 2014 | 1773 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 4 of 5 on 9/12/2008 9:00:00 PM More reviews by shaesquared

This mascara is good, but not my HG. My eyelashes are on the average-short side, and are really really straight. What I loved about this product was that it REALLY added volume AND length to my lashes like BAA-YAAM. However, it didn't hold my curl AT ALL. Which, evidentally, kind of kills the fact the amaaazing length and thickness of my lashes after applying it. I usually just do a coat, cause the more I do, the less it tend to curl.

I have to admit, even though it wasn't waterproof, it sure seemed like it! It lasted the whole day without flaking! Not even through my 2.5 hour practice!

I have to say, I LOVE the packaging. Big yellow and boldly purple. The huge brush gets all my lashes for sure, but was a bit hard to work with at first.

Hm, about the smell. It was a bit overwhelming at firsst, but then it like, disappears when you close the bottle. It's definitely fake roses, but as it didn't really bother me.

Go try it out!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/12/2008 3:30:00 PM More reviews by sociologist

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Worst mascara ever! The smell when I opened the package nearly knocked me off my feet! I was able to get part of one eye done and it clumped so bad out of the package I immediately took it off and went back to RiteAid with my receipt. This was probably one of the funkiest (nasty funky) mascaras I've ever used. Back to Clinique or Lash Discovery for me!

rated 2 of 5 on 9/12/2008 2:49:00 PM More reviews by sparkle4jm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought the Colossal Volum' Express wanting a decent-priced but volumizing mascara. Good price. This does pretty well as far as really pumping up my lashes and making them look thick and dark, but after wearing it all day it begins to flake off pretty bad. I wear contacts, and somehow the black flakes get in between my eye and contact lens...uncomfortable! Also, I've had the same problem with the filter breaking...when I pull out the wand to apply mascara, it has tons of mascara on it. Not sure why. I have close it and re-open a couple times, hoping that it goes back into the tube. Probably won't buy again. I've had better drugstore brand mascaras with better results.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/11/2008 8:48:00 PM More reviews by lindsayyxo

I'm in-between on the colossal. It works better than the define-a-lash products and does give you some pretty sweet volume, but as I've read in these other reviews, my tube did in fact screw up (the little piece inside of it that takes off excess mascara when you pull the wand out, came out WITH the wand) so my wand was covered in mascara and i managed to "fix" it, but now the mascara just cakes my eyelashes together. It doesn't work as good as it did (and I haven't had it very long) so maybe if they come out with better packaging, I'd be more obliged to buy this again. Also, I'd buy it over define-a-lash volume and define-a-lash length, those suck.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/11/2008 2:05:00 PM More reviews by ked00

I tried this product a couple of months ago and loved it...until the filter (I guess that is what it is!) inside the tube broke therefore making the wand useless and it was COVERED in masacara. Basically, whatever is inside to get the excess of the wand came of so the wand just slides in and out. I wanted to give it another shot though b/c I liked the coverage. I've had my 2nd tube for about 2 weeks now and the EXACT same thing happened this morning. Needless to say, I'm not wasting my money on this product again.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2008 11:36:00 AM More reviews by rebchandler

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Okay, so I've been using this product for awhile & love it! I've had every type of mascara there is & this one is definitely one of my alltime favorites. It has a huge normal-haired brush (I'm tired of all of those plasticy brushes...don't see any big difference with them). It goes on smooth and dark and does a decent job of grabbing every lash. It does have a rose smell like other users have commented...but I don't find it that annoying. But, I'm not overly sensitive to smells anyway, so I guess it could bother some people. Overall, I like this mascara a lot. I love the big yellow tube it is in. Don't have to look very hard in the mornings to spot it amongst all of my other mascaras! It also doesn't splatter much. I always seem to get a teeny bit of splatter with any mascara I use (maybe I'm just a messy mascara user)...but this one is minimal. Anyhoo...for the price...I love it. And, that's a huge accomplishment, seeing as how there is barely anything by Maybelline that I like. (Oh, and just for reference...I have short, straight, black eyelashes).

rated 4 of 5 on 9/10/2008 7:34:00 AM More reviews by Ur2FUNNEE

Well I am a L'Oreal Volumunious girl but let me tell you this one runs a close 2nd! I don't find it clumpy at all or that it has any kind of odor, like some say. I do find that it straightens my eyelashes a bit after curling but overall it gives great volume without the clump. Give it a try I don't think you'll be sorry.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2008 8:56:00 PM More reviews by mwebba1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Okay, let me just say that this has a horrendous stench. I mean, what were they thinking? It smells like old tulips and hot garbage mixed together. But alas, even that wasn't enough to make me take one lippy off. Yes, ladies this is an amazing mascara. I cannot believe I payed only $6 for it at Wal Mart. I bought Wal Mart makeup! I fancy myself a makeup snob (slightly). But this seperated like mad, did not clump at all, curled my lashes and definitely gave me volume. Well done, Maybelline. Buy some, ladies.
**UPDATE** I dunno. It isn't performing like it did the first week. I think it dried down. Guess I'll remain a makeup snob beause my Lancome mascaras never did this. It started to clump to.
***UPDATE*** 10/05/08 I bought another one and we are back in business. I marvel at the fact that this look can come from a five dollar mascara. I've been a Lancome whore forever! And if it keeps on being two for one at Wal-Mart I'll keep lovon' it. We'll see how this one fares after a while.
***UPDATE*** 10/23/08 I am DONE with high end mascaras. I absolutely adore this little gem. I must say, thouhg that after dealing with the incredibly classy packaging of a Lancome mascara, this is a little gaudy-looking in my makeup bag. But I am done. My biggest problem with mascara is always smudging. This doesn't smudge underneath my eyes at all. I bought Lash Blast a while ago to compare so I'll review it when I am able to keep myself from using this. But I love you Maybelline! Smudges a little on me, though.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2008 5:16:00 PM More reviews by bex9

For reference Im going to compare this with Last Blast and Diorshow... I give Colossal 3.5 lippies, Lash Blast 4, and Dior 5.
This is an OK product. Main beef: too clumpy. It's not as goopy as Lash Blast, but I still prefer LB to this because I would rather work with a mascara that comes out wet but smooth, rather than clumpy and dry. Neither were worth much as far a holding a curl goes. Both decent day to day mascara, can buy three drugstore tubes for every one of Dior, but personally its still worth it to keep a good Diorshow around for evenings out, times you really want to step it up a notch. They staying power is average, I noticed a few times that under the outter corners of my low lashes there were smudgey black marks. Nothing horrendous though. This might be a tad 'softer' feeling than LBlast, but the flakeyness of both is about the same.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/7/2008 9:10:00 PM More reviews by Ingrid

Somone compared this to DiorShow when you put it on. I agree with this but by the end of the day this weighs my eyelashes down so they are straight. Even when I curl them so for that reason... I'll stick with DiorShow or Lash Blast.