November 22, 2014 | 1735 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2008 1:13:00 AM More reviews by hollyannie2001

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

My lashes are not that long and I have much better luck creating the illusion of volume than length. As long as I curl my lashes, I am fine with them not being super-super long, and what I want is that they look really thick. My HG mascara in life is Voluminous but I am always trying new ones to see how they compare.

So when I first got The Colossal I was actually SUPER into it because it was the first mascara I'd tried that gave me a lot of volume AND increased the look of length on me.

But I've been using it for over a month now and I am somewhat disillusioned by its tendency to clump and really go past the point where you can rescue it at all. DO NOT try to put on more than two coats of this, it will RUIN your eyes. I found out the hard way. I guess it is made for a quick swipe-and-go type of application, and unlike other formulas you can build up (I am thinking of Hypnose and DiorShow in particular), that is the quickest way to wreck this one.

Twice now I have inadvertently gone just that last little bit too far with this and had no choice but to go out with pointy Betty Boop lashes. (I mean, at that point I am not going to try scrubbing my face and starting over when I have done my WHOLE face -- concealer, blush, spot foundation, highlighter, eyeliner, eyeshadow, brow polish -- YIKES!!!)

So I would say this is OK if you are very careful with the brush and just apply the formula sparingly -- well, maybe not "sparingly" exactly, but just do not think you can build this with multiple coats because it does NOT work.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/12/2008 12:04:00 AM More reviews by Chaw

DiorShow is my HG, but as others have said I too am always looking for something comparable, but at a less price. This definitely is not Dior, but for the price is good. No raccoon eyes, held my curl and gave me the volume I was looking for.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/11/2008 1:16:00 AM More reviews by FinalBoss

I think this does add a little bit of volume but it clumps too too much making my lashes stick together.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/9/2008 1:19:00 PM More reviews by Debbie1963

I've had great luck w/ this product! So far, it has been the best as far as not leaving flakes or raccoon eyes. Every few applications, I do wipe the brush with a tissue to remove sticky globs (I know. It wastes products. But this is not an expensive mascara anyway & it's worth it!). Love the brush and the shorter handle. I will buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2008 10:49:00 AM More reviews by mknaik

This is a great mascara! I love it! I've used almost every mascara known to man and this is my new favorite. It absolutely does increase the volume and quickly. One or two coats, and you're done! Love it.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/8/2008 8:18:00 PM More reviews by alostblackcat

I love the packaging for the product, but I can't say that the mascara was particularly amazing. It gave me a considerable amount of volume, but it clumped on me and I had to brush it out to fix my lashes. It has a very strong and rather odd scent and didn't work any better than the other Volum' Expresses before it.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/8/2008 1:02:00 AM More reviews by ilystephaniiee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I hate this thing sooo much. The only thing I like about it is the color of the packaging. It uncurls my lashes, makes them look spider-leg-y, and smells horrible. Never going to buy EVER again. Maybelline mascaras never fail to disappoint me.. :(

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2008 10:08:00 PM More reviews by PetuniaP

I have used Diorshow for ages and am tired of spending so much money on a decent mascara. I found this Colossal to be truly interchangeable with the Dior for a fraction of the price. It's not exactly the same, but for the huge savings, I'm making the switch to drugstore! I'm still hunting for my HG, but the Colossal will do for now.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/6/2008 7:06:00 PM More reviews by luv4taffy

I really tried to like it but ughhh....clumps way to much and I had racoon eyes.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2008 9:18:00 AM More reviews by kiki321

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Love this mascara! What a fantastic job it does. Comparable to Lancome, EL, Dior mascaras. No more wasting money on these brands.