Maybelline Volum' Express The Colossal

3.5

Water - Aqua , Paraffin , Potassium Cetyl Phosphate , Beeswax - Cera Alba , Carnauba Wax - Cera Carnauba , Acacia Senegal Gum - Acacia Senegal , Glycerin , Cetyl Alcohol , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Sodium Polymethacrylate , Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil , Hydrogenated Palm Oil , Phenethyl Alcohol , Phenoxyethanol , Steareth-20 , PEG/PPG-17/18 Dimethicone , Polyquaternium-10 , Silica , Soluble Collagen , Simethicone , Panthenol , Disodium EDTA , Iron Oxides - CI 77499 - CI 77492 - CI 77491 - May Contain , Titanium Dioxide - CI 77891 - May Contain , Ultramarines - CI 77007 - May Contain , Chromium Oxide Greens - CI 77288 - May Contain , Chromium Hydroxide Green - CI 77289 - May Contain , Manganese Violet - CI 77742 - May Contain , Ferric Ferrocyanide - CI 77510 - May Contain , Mica - May Contain

on 12/12/2008 10:30:00 AM

I didn't like the way the mascara dried & I was very upset when I realized how much this mascara flaked.

on 12/11/2008 10:10:00 PM

This mascara is very easy to wash off, smells like flowers (the collagen) and is quite nice overall.
I have had no problems with the packaging. It's been great from the start! :)
My only complaint is that I can never get the eyelashes close to my nose. The brush is too big.

on 12/11/2008 12:45:00 PM

It was between this or L'oreal's new beauty tube extensions mascara. I chose this one (because it was cheaper). :) All in all, it's decent...If you're looking for a glam eye look, I would look else where. I'm going to buy the L'Oreal stuff today and probably use this in conjunction with the colossal.
Pros-
*Doesn't leave raccoon eyes the whole day
*Doesn't bother eyes
*Doesn't clump (even after multiple coats)
*Easy to apply without getting it all over the eyelid
*Cheap
*Washes off SUPER easy with soap and water without having to lose a few lashes in the process
*Leaves lashes not feeling crispy
*Gives volume, but not mind blowing volume

Cons-
*Smells strong (but you get use to it after a few uses)
*Doesn't leave glam looking eyes which the commercial leads one to believe
*I don't see a difference between this and other volume express mascaras from maybelline so...the whole collagen thing is iffy--seems like the only contribution it makes is making it smell strongly.
*I thought the brush would be different, more...updated, but its pretty much the normal mascara wand--just a bit fatter.

on 12/11/2008 12:12:00 PM

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

I had high hopes for this mascara, but it's really nothing special. Its main feature is supposed to be the volume-adding factor, but it really doesn't do much in that department. I guess it's just average. It could have been advertised as any old regular mascara and I wouldn't have known the difference.

The smell of the stuff is mentioned a lot in reviews, and I have to say... it IS quite strong and reeks of collagen. It takes getting used to I guess. My nose didn't mind it too much though, I actually found myself sniffing it when I wasn't using it. Haha. I think I could sense hints of honey, but that's probably just me being odd.

A positive aspect of this mascara is its ability to separate lashes well. It wasn't TOO too clumpy and it was generally neat in the end.

If you're looking for a drugstore brand mascara worth your buck, and you're specifically looking for a product that gives volume, I'd just stick with the Cover Girl LashBlast. It's the best (in that category) I've used thus far.

on 12/10/2008 11:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I know the product is called Colossal volum', but the brush was WAY too huge and fat, which made it difficult to reach the smaller lashes; the smell took some getting used to (it sort of reminded me of my nasal spray for allergies ._. ), the formula was a little too wet and took some time to dry out and didnt hold the curl well. some pros, it doesn't smudge much in daily use, but i wouldn't suggest using it while working out or anything...
overall, its okay and does little for volume.
...and the epic search for the best mascara continues...

on 12/10/2008 4:46:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

Overall, this is an okay pretty good Mascara, It gives you volume and length. This truly makes my lashes look fake. My lashes do separate, but not that much, but looks pretty great.This mascara maybe number 3 on my list.
I still have to retry MaxFactor 2000 Calorie since I liked it the last time I used in back in 2002.

I like this mascara, it takes about a week to see results, I guess your lashes have to get trained for this mascara

on 12/8/2008 11:06:00 PM

eh... THIS MASCARA SMELLS!!!!!!! yes it bothers me. i can't even get ride of the smell after i close it up, well, obviously it's because i have it on my lashes.

it does increase the volume of my lashes which is great, but it clumps just a bit.

i would recommand this mascara only if you can stand the strange smell of it, and have long lashes (maybe it won't clump if you have nice and long lashes)

i like it.
not the best though.
i do like how there's collagen in it.
i'm sure that if the brush were different, it'd be alot better.

on 12/8/2008 1:54:00 PM

Overall this is an OK mascara. I would only repurchase this again if I forgot my mascara at home while on vacation and I had no other options. I really love the brush. I have very average lashes and this brush does wonders for them. The actual mascara is pretty decent as well. Gives good volume with just a little length on the ends. Exactly what I like for my daytime eye. The reason I am only giving this 3 lippies is because the scent of the mascara DRIVES ME NUTS! It's very chemically and nauseatingly floralish! (are those even words!?!?) I thought I would get over it but I was mistaken. I have to stand in front of a fan for a few minutes after applying to get the smell out of my nose! I might just keep the wand to use with one of the other mascaras I have lying around. For good volume and a fat brush I'll stick with my Lash Blast!

on 12/8/2008 8:34:00 AM

I've always liked cheap DS mascara's; I begrudge paying upwards of 20 for something that I know I have to replace after 3 months. I didn't realise that this was "Volum' Express" - I thought it was a brand new formulation. I assume it's based on Volum Express - I hoped it was the one with the curved brush that got DC'd in the UK, because it was fab (see the reviews). When they DC'd it I tried all the remaining V. Express formulations - the straight brush, the Turbo Boost, the WP etc but not one replaced the curved brush model as my HG. They were all rubbish. And I DO give them a chance, I'll use each one for 2 weeks before it gets renegated to the "back-up" or "if-I-lose-my-job-and-can't-afford-to-buy-make-up-at-least-i-can-use-it-as-a-last-resort" drawer. So then I went to Bourjous Clubbing (that's a whole other review) and then I saw this. Firstly, the smell doesn't bother me - I didn't even notice the smell until I read these reviews (I really should think about quitting smoking, maybe then I'd have smelt it straight away). The brush is fantastic, just the right amount of "bushiness" to it and a good size, not too small, not too big to get into the corners of the eye. The formulation is perfect too, it's not so dry that it clumps easily, and it's not thin and watery either. The brush effectively applies to every lash and every time I've used it so far (I bought it 3 days ago) I've not had ANY clumping at all. It lengthens and thickens with every coat - you can really build it up without it going clumpy, unlike Bourjous' Clubbing. I've not had any smudges even though I've had a heavy night, and it stayed put with no flakes during a 2hr bedroom olympics session lol. so far so good. I'll see how easy it is to remove tonight and will update, All in all, 4/5, and a good price, I think it was about 6.99 in the UK.
Update: Well it removes easily enough, and I slept in it last night (I know, I know, I'm bad) and there were VERY few flakies, just a bit smudged underneath - but it's not designed for wearing overnight. I reckon this will be HG now.