July 23, 2014 | 1573 users online

Primer/ Corrector - MAC - Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2010 8:33:00 AM More reviews by firework_girl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'd been using this for a couple of years because of the SPF 50. I still have some left in my last little bottle but I'm finding it hard to use up the remainder.
My main problem with it was how oily it left me, especially around my t-zone. I'd apply after my moisturiser had sunk in & leave it for a good 15-20 minutes before applying my foundation. Even then, I needed to use a blotting sheet to remove some of the greasy residue it left behind. That helped a little, but as the day wore on I'd get oily all over again. Blotting 3 or 4 times was a regular occurrence. Not something I was overly thrilled about, considering this product is supposed to help mattify. Because of that, my foundation would get that cakey look, especially on the tip of my nose & my chin.
However, it worked fine on my cheeks where my skin is normal.
One or two of the bottles I've used also seemed to separate. There would be an oily substance that seeped out each time I dispensed some of the product. No amount of shaking seemed to remedy this.
I've since moved on to Shiseido's Anessa Perfect Smooth sunscreen. This is also SPF 50 but makes a much better base & I only have to blot once or twice throughout the day.
If you have normal or dry skin, this would probably work well for you. Since my t-zone isn't, it was rather hit & miss for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2010 6:03:00 PM More reviews by westinflorida

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVE PanPan70's review of this and wouldn't change a thing that she wrote. The only thing I'd like to add it that if you are so bothered by the packaging do not, I repeat DO NOT try the Prep+Prime Skin as an alternative. You will not get anything close to this product. I noticed that younger reviewers are not as pleased with this product so maybe it's something more suitable for us "old ladies" with drier skin. :)

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2010 2:15:00 PM More reviews by PanPan70

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I really like this product. SPF50 with 16.1% of that being zinc oxide which is a very stable form of broad spectrum sunscreen. It's micronized so you don't get a white cast on your skin after rubbing it in although I do detect a brightening effect on my NW25 skin that is very flattering. It hasn't broken me out which is a big plus. It's very, very thick which I think is a side effect of all the zinc oxide in it. I've found it best to apply to slightly damp skin so that you can manipulate it without rubbing your skin too much. The packaging is awful with this giant cap and little tube. It's almost as if they were going to make the tube a lot bigger and then changed their mind but never got around to changing the size of the cap. I'm thinking it's going to be difficult to get the last bit of the product out. I don't notice wrinkle smoothing or pore minimization but I didn't buy it for that. Likey!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/26/2010 1:10:00 AM More reviews by magferen

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I don’t like this primer. I love MAC, but this product is not doing anything for me. First of all, it is greasy. Second, it doesn’t help my makeup to stay on. Finally, it broke me out. What I like about it is that it has SPF 50, but I would rather buy a good sunscreen than use this primer. There are better primers on the market.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/26/2010 1:01:00 AM More reviews by lsmith21

Make up tends to go on smoother but it doesn't help my makeup stay on longer. It dries out my cheeks after a while yet doesn't control the oil on my t-zone. I think it really is overpriced for what it is. However, it's the first primer I have used so have nothing to compare it to. I will be trying ModelCo face base next.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2010 5:44:00 PM More reviews by avapro

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is an over-hyped product that is really just a cream with sunscreen. It is so expensive and the quality does not match it's price! The packaging is very awkward, the tube makes it very hard to squeeze the product out once you reach the last bits of it. I do not see any noticeable difference between applying this primer or without applying this primer. My makeup stays the same and by the end of the day there is the general fading. I really don't think MAC's strong point is in skincare. Not buying this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2010 8:58:00 AM More reviews by theredsky

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Grey

This stuff is amazing, because I have really oily skin and it keeps it matte all day - something I didn't think was possible. It also amazes me that such a high SPF doesn't clog my skin. My foundation sticks to it like glue and stays looking fresh all day. Big love for this product!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2010 1:06:00 AM More reviews by ALBA

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This keeps oil at bay very well.

The only problem I have with it is that I don't trust the sun protection qualities of this without knowing the PPD of it. The spf only indicates that it blocks UVB rays (the burning ones) whilst it's the UVA rays (remember A for ageing) that do the real damage and are present at any time of the year and can permeate glass.

So I would only buy this again if MAC ensure that there is a high UVA rating for this and indicate that it is photostable (meaning that it has been tested to last longer than average). If the sun protection in this was as good as La Roche Posay spf50 with a PPD of 28-30 it would be absolutely amazing!!! Until then I'll carry on dreaming of the perfect primer and all the time it would save me waiting for various unctions to be absorbed in the morning and all the annoyance it causes my boyfriend when he's waiting for us to go out!

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/24/2009 8:53:00 AM More reviews by Tinka84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This product doesn't prep and prime. But oh well...What I like most about it MAC Prep and Prime Face Protect SPF 50 is the fact that there's a - what's in a name? - SPF 50 in it and despite this, does not make my skin feel too oily or break out. I do wonder about the sun filters though. They might me the chemical ones that are allowed in the US and Canada, but come with a warning in The Netherlands. I might buy a product with natural, thoroughly researched filters instead.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2009 3:39:00 AM More reviews by i2ismartazzi2i

I LOVE THIS! I have just started using this after being such a long time customer to bare minerals prime time which I loved as well. But this is amazing. It is great for my oily skin. My skin stays matte the whole day!!! And my foundation stays on the whole day as well. I don't touch up my face at all, and I have really oily acne skin. I highly recommend it. It is totally worth the price and I would repurchase it again. I love the spf cuz I don't put anything on my face unless it has spf so that is a big bonus for me. I wear it under my moisturizer then my foundations goes on. I find this works for me and I will continue to use it. I am never going back to my prime time which still made my skin oily.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No