MAC Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

3.8

NEW Formula August 2012: Estimted PPD: 6.2 Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 5%, Octisalate 5%, Oxybenzone 3%. Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Methyl Trimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Polyester-8, Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui) Seed Oil, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, PEG-100 Stearate, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dipentaerythrityl Tri-polyhydroxystearate, Laminaria Ochroleuca Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Morus Nigra (Mulberry) Root Extract, Scutellaria Biacalensis Root Extract, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Yeast Extract, Whey Protein, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Caffeine, Ethylhexylglycerin, Acetyl Glucosamine, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, C30-38 Olefin/Isopropyl Malate/MA Copolymer, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Caprylyl Glycol, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Mica ORIGINAL Formula: Estimated PPD ~ 9.1 Active ingredients: Zinc Oxide 16.10%, Octinoxate 7.50% Water\Aqua\Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, PEG-7 Dimethicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Methyl Gluceth-10, Glycerin, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Caffeine, Tocopherol, Sucrose, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Cellulose Acetate, Methicone, PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Silica, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This product is not worth all the hype. I still love my smash box photo finish. Mac prep & prime does not really do anything for me. It does not make my foundation stay on any longer.Would not buy again.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I have extremely oily skin. Within 1-2 hours of applying make-up, I have to break out the blotting sheets or the blot powder. I am always on the search for the next best primer - anything that will prevent oil from shining through. Since I am constantly trying new products, I tend to forget about the gems I already have in my stash. MAC's P&P SPF 50 is one of them! I wore it this past weekend for the first time in ages and omg I cannot believe how great my face looks. I put on my primer and my foundation at 7am and checked my reflection at 12:45p and I had practically no oil. My nose was a *tad* but shiny but it wasn't even worth blotting! I can't believe I forgot how amazing this product is. My face looked fresh & smooth & flawless. My foundation looked amazing all day and that is saying a LOT considering how oily my skin gets - I normally blot 4-5 times a day. The SPF 50 is an added bonus. I can't wait to rock this as the weather gets warmer. As some people have noted however, there is some ingredient in this formula which can irritate & cause break outs. I haven't experienced anything like that but be sure to check out the ingredients to see if you may be allergic to anything before trying it yourself. But if you have extremely oily skin like me and are always on the look-out for a good oil-controlling product, then look no further. If you can, get a sample from MAC & test it out before buying the full-size version. I don't even know why I bothered looking into other primers. This is the best one I've tried!

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I don't think i will ever find another primer i like as much as this ever!
pros: spf 50 (great news for my fair skin), lasts for ages, make-up goes on so much easier and looks alot better better than without it, helps with oil control in my t-zone (which is something of a small miracle!)
cons: the packaging becomes annoying when you are running out as its hard to get the remaining product out
I will certainly be repurchasing this.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This primer sucks! It makes me super oily. My makeup oxidizes faster! It's expensive and you can't return it. I can think of so many other MAC products I can spend that money on...

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

I am a very oily skinned girl. I have come to terms with this fact over the years, though I am still always looking for the primer to hold off the oil. My top two are: MUFE primers- not the HD ones (love them, but got bored I guess) and Philosophy The Present (amazing, flawless skin even without makeup on top but still shines through on the nose).
I have come to accept that my t zone especially will never be oil-free. I have learnt to deal with the fact that my makeup will slide away throughout the day.
UNTIL I was reading through reviews of MAC primers on my way to the store. I wanted to indulge and splurge just a bit. I don't know why I but I have never wanted to use MAC skincare. I am of the impression that theirs is just not up to scratch, so I never even bothered exploring it. But the reviews on this seemed promising, so I thought *one more experiment won't hurt*. That one more became the last one. Officially.
Apply this in the morning 10am, MUFE HD on top, blush, brows etc....At 11pm, I don't want to wash it off cos it still looks so darn amazing and flawless. I do mean flawless. I have not blotted *once* today. Or anyday since I started using it. I keep going to check in the mirror, amazed that it's all still intact. I kid you not. I am in *love*: with this, and with my face. Absolutely no oilies. This is despite my very oily skin PLUS Mufe HD which everyone says turns greasy on oily skin. Not me! And it's all because of MAC Prep+Prime SPF50. And my blush has not eroded away.

I don't regularly do reviews, but this was soooo worthy of one. I do realise that YMMV, but in my opinion, having tried all manner of primers out there, this is not one to be missed! I'm buying backups JUST IN CASE!

Love love love this! Its soo much better than the other prep+prime primer I tried. The other one left my skin oily and these ittle shimmer particles that were very obvious. This blows the other primer out of the water! First off right now I have an oily forehead,nose and chin but my cheeks are normal to dry. Since this is like a lotion. it hydrated my skin and smooths out my skin and filled my pores. it leaves my face matte and loking fresh. I notice my foundation looks very fresh for most of the day and slightly dewy by the time I take it off which is 5PM. My cons on this product is the price and the packaging. other than that its a winner! Might be HG

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I LOVE this stuff. It's pricey so I only use it for weekends and not for everyday wear, but I wish I could afford to! My makeup looks and stays looking fantastic all night. I have oily skin (mostly in the t zone) so I try to keep it light on those areas and I don't have any issues with oil or acne. So I guess it just depends person to person how you and this product will react. Will buy again and again!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Worst primer ever, UGH!
It's super oily, so if you have oily skin, don't even consider it.
It's very heavy and rich- and takes forever to absorb into the skin.
After I put this on, i look oilier than ever, and feel like i have some kind of a heavy oil mask on my face all day.
I say opt for something lighter and more effective.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love this product! I have combo skin (oily T-zone and somewhat dry cheeks) and everything breaks me out. This does a splendid job of keeping my face matte all day and my makeup looking fresh. I do notice that when I use it after a moisturizer it doesn't work as well and I get slightly oily. So, I normally skip my moisturizer in the morning. It's a thick lotion consistency but absorbs really quick.
Mattifying, has spf 50, and does NOT break me out (major plus).
My only complaint is that it's $30 for 1 floz and the packaging is not that great.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Two words: cystic acne. Very unimpressed. It might make my makeup look great but cystic acne is the worst. Edit: Ok, I gave this product another try and apparently the cystic acne was unrelated because it is now a staple in my makeup routine. Cannot live without this product. Makes my makeup look fantastic and lasts all day, plus has SPF.

Popular Primer/ Correctors