Alima Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

Not tested on animals

INGREDIENTS: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947) Mica (CI 77019). May contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

I'm an aspiring makeup artist and wanted to feature mineral foundations in my kit. I got a bunch of samples from Alima so I could test some out on future/present clients and myself. First of all, foundation colors are way lighter in person, which intimidated me a little at first. I tried the deepest color I had ordered (I'm an african american with dry to combination multi-tonal deep tan skin with yellow undertone) which was Clove W-6. Simply gorgeous. It worked perfectly. Usually other foundations concentrate on orangish tones instead of more yellow-based. Very good over all coverage, although I did use a little liquid concealer on some of my scars. Made my skin look creamy and dewy and like I had perfect skin. Will definitely buy full size. :)

When I first tried this, I wasn't really impressed, which kind of made me sad because I love Alima's products, service, and the dear soul who owns it. I initially wanted more coverage than I thought Alima could offer.

Fast-forward a few years. My skin has dramatically improved due to natural skincare. Now I don't need or want heavy coverage. After seeing Alima's new site, I was inspired to dig out my samples and give the foundation another whirl. I'm so glad I did!

Alima's coverage is very good. It's not heavy, I would consider it light to medium and it is very buildable. It's different from other lines in the respect that it doesn't seem to sit on my skin (as other reviewers have noted) but it seems to meld into my skin and just make me look like I have a perfect complexion. I do spot conceal before applying and even dab on a little more afterward if necessary. I use a flat-top brush and find that it gives me a beautiful finish. I'm no longer oily and this lasts all day without using a finishing powder. It doesn't settle into any fine lines or change colors throughout the day. Nor does it accentuate my pores like some foundations tend to do. The color selection is great and I found a match for my difficult to match pale, neutral skin. My skin also feels very soft when I wear it.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Love this product and I love the company. They have great customer service. They have tons of shades and it is easy to get samples to try them to find the one you like. I did take off 1 lippie though because I do tend to get quite shiney by mid-day. However, the color is great.

I tried BE and it had little coverage w/ a sheen. through reviews i tried EM and the color match was great. i used the matte but it didn't appear to be matte at all. i had an shiny t-zone and by the end of the day it looked like i had nothing on. Soooo i tried alima. the coverage is better but unfortunately theres a sheen. i want a natural matte look and i cant seem to find it in mineral makeup.. i give up.. now i going back to liquid foundation oh by the way theres no point in cheap mineral makeup they all have way more ingredients in it than just five. read all the labels before you purchase for example: maybelines have synthetic wax in theirs.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

The best mineral makeup, best customer service, most consistent quality (never a badly-mixed sample or jar), most professional website & packaging (love the embossed bird on the lids and the animated bird on their website). Like another reviewer said, Alima's packaging is professional, not like someone's mixing up pigments in their basement (love that, and it's so true of some etailers). Inexpensive samples, lovely shades - Alima was the first to offer such a varied foundation selection - and soft, silky coverage. Love the "Pure Points" plan: "Set up an Alima account and you’re automatically enrolled in the Alima Pure Points program. You’ll receive one point for every $10 you spend on products. Each point is worth $1 off of a future order, and can be saved or redeemed whenever you like. You can see how many points you have accrued when you visit your profile page, and also when you check out." (from their website). And of course, the FASTEST SHIPPING online! It's always a pleasure to order and receive a package from Alima. I'm a huge fan.

I found the perfect shade match and was so disappointed when it caked on my oily skin. I tried with primer and even changed my moisturizer to no avail. I didn't give it a bad rating because I truly believe this is a great foundation for someone who doesn't have Crisco skin like me. They offer cheap samples and it's worth the expense.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I've been wearing BE for about 2 years. I live in Houston so it is constantly hot and 80%+ humidity, and with my oily skin keeping shine down a minimum is very important.

I use to wear Medium in BE, and after buying $20 worth of Alima's samples, I found that Neutral 4 to be the best match for me. I felt that Alima covered alot better than BE, my skin looked alot healthier, and it reduced the shine immediately, and kept the shine away for hours on end... (8 hrs on avg. with just a little tissue blot around the T-Zone mid-day..no extra make up needed!!) < I usually get shinny with BE within the first hour!!!!!!!!!! and lose all coverage by the end of the day!!!

However, I like to wear my everyday make up as light as possible. I felt that Alima provided for coverage than what I would prefer. But asking several friends for their opinion, they still said I looked like I wasn't wearing any make up at all!!

So I've ordered a large container of Satin Matte for my "important days"... (formal events, job interviews, ....) While, also ordering the samples at Alima, I also ordered samples from Everyday Minerals. I really like EM Medium Matte foundation. So I now combine my Alima Primer and Alima Finishing powder with the EM foundation. EM provided the light effective coverage I was looking for. (Way more coverage than BE, slightly less coverage than Alima) EM & Alima both helped reduce shine and keep it away!! I highly highly recommend Alima's Finishing powder, its the "key" to keeping the oily shine away!!!!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I absolutely love this foundation and the company in general. I used to use Bare Escentuals, but stopped because it didn't give enough coverage. This foundation gives great coverage (but not too heavy), stays on all day, and looks great with minimal effort. I apply it with the BE kabuki brush. Another reason I love Alima is that you can order samples to make sure what shade you are before you order the full size, AND they send great samples of colors they think you'd like with your order. EDIT: This foundation made my face itch and burn, so unfortunately I had to discontinue use. Too bad.

I tried really hard to find my color match, but haven't found yet. In EM I got it from the first time, plus I like the coverage and finish much more (Alima is too matte for me), so I guess I'll stick with it instead of wasting my time and money.

I really, really wanted to like this! I'm a recovering BE user and waited a few weeks until my skin calmed down before trying something else. Got my samples in the mail about 2 weeks ago and at first, all seemed OK, at least as far as skin sensitivity. The color (cool 3) was a good match. Alima does have a good color selection. But it looks Kabuki-like (not a good look) and seems to settle into lines and enlarged pores, making me look 10 years older. DEFINITELY not the look I want. I tried using a sponge, I tried the spritz of water on the brush, I tried adding it to moisturizer. They were just variations on bad. The coverage with BE was much better and not so fussy to apply. But I was willing to accept a learning curve---figured I just hadn't gotten the knack of applying it. Then a few days ago, I noticed that the skin on my face felt as if I'd gotten a mild sunburn right after I applied Alima. After about an hour, it felt puckery and hypersensitive. Tried again today, just to see if it was a fluke. Same results. Very disappointing. I guess I'll move on to Everyday Minerals.