MAC Frost - Vex

4.4

Talc, Zinc Stearate, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Isostearyl Neopentanoate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol Eye Shadows may contain: Silica, Mice, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Bismuth Oxychloride, Carmine, Chromium Hydroxide Green, Chromium Oxide Greens, Ferric Ferrocyanide, Manganese Violet, Ultramarines, Blue 1 Lake, Red 40 Lake, Yello 5 Lake

on 7/22/2004 12:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

i am in LOVE with vex! at first i thought i'd made a mistake getting this, but now i wear it everyday. my favorite thing to do is apply it on the inner corners of my eyes and inner lower rims and i usually pair it with trax or fiction, but looks awesome with anything. this is truly a staple color !!

on 7/8/2004 6:25:00 PM

I can't believe I'm writing a positive review for MAC, as I seem to be one of the lone MUAers not completely smitten by this brand (unfortunate, as it's available quite cheaply in Canada). My all-time favorite e/s is (or rather, was) Lancome Maquiriche in Angora- discontinued, alas- and it's recently become a hobby of mine to obtain all those remaining up for swap. But now I have an alternative in MAC Vex! I tried applying Angora to one eye and Vex to the other, and they're essentially identical! Yes, Angora is a bit more velveteen-violet, while Vex is more frosted and with a multi-tonal shimmer (purply/pinky with a hint of green on my fair skin), but they look virtually identical on me from afar. Both are MELBB (my eye lids but better, tee-hee-hee!) and really open up the entire eye area. I use it dry for a natural hint of color on my lids, wet for more intense application, and also as eyeliner under my eyes using a thin liner brush. So Vex is not only beautiful, but versatile ... Hence the 5 lippies for my new favorite shadow!

on 7/1/2004 1:02:00 PM

I got Vex sight unseen based on the recs here (the SA had to go into the back of the store to get it when I told her I wanted it, and she slipped it into my palette without showing me). When I got home and opened up my palette, I was horrified -- ew! muddy flat grey! It sat in my palette untouched for weeks. When I finally got up the nerve to try it, though, I was amazed.Normally I can't wear greys, but this looks like the most lovely neutral accent. It's a very strange color, a grey base with tones of pink, beige, peach, and green, but for some reason it's beautiful. (Another oddity: it looks grey to me but my boyfriend insists it's green.) A very unique MAC winner, a shade I could wear every day. UPDATE 7/19: Upgrading this to five lippies, as I love this and have been wearing it several times a week. It's interesting how different this looks on different people. On me, it's a light grey-beige. On my boyfriend (who was kind enough to let me try it on him!), it looks like a peachy pink. Go figure. continued >>

on 6/27/2004 3:49:00 AM

I like to wear green and pink together, so this pale green that flashes pink is the perfect highlighter. It doesn't show as much green as I had hoped, but it's still gorgeous. I'm a PPP (mac C3) with green eyes.

on 6/21/2004 4:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

OMG! this irridescent beige-gold-taupe-pinkish shade is absolutely splendifferous. i'm a GGG, (nc50), and lemme tell you, i can use it as a wash on the 'no makeup look' days, as a full-on colour for shoots, or as a base for other shadows.. it really makes my eyes pop, and although at first i thought it would be more of a silverish ashy gray, it's just the thing for days when i might be feeling a bit down. highly recommend it!

on 6/20/2004 7:32:00 PM

Well, I guess I have to agree with ktm13. I went to the MAC counter today to check out some of the shadows from my wish list, one of which was Vex.

Vex looked to me like a big ole nothing in the pot, but I know some of my fave MAC shadows look blah in the pan but WOW! on. Unfortunately, Vex is not one of those sleepers.

I tried Vex on and if anything, it looked worse on my lids than in the pot. Just like ktm13 said, it looks strangely like fish scales. The combination of green blue grey and pink flashes just doesn't work for me. I guess this is one of those love it or hate it shades. Unfortunately, I fall in the hate it category on this one.

on 6/9/2004 1:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I love this shadow! It is such an interesting color but is great on my FFF skin tone! Love it with blue eyes, too, and for the quality the price can't be beat!

on 5/29/2004 7:46:00 PM

NC20, hazel eyes here. Vex is a lovely duochrome shimmery eyeshadow that looks like a grey-light green that flashes pink. It is very subtle though. I use this most often on the brow bone as a highlighter, but it makes a lovely wash. Sometimes I'll apply it lash to brow with something like Shale in the crease. I am not sure why I think it goes with purple and lavender type colors, but I think it does. I usually stay away from gray eyeshadows because I don't think they look good on me, but the pink in this really changes the look of this shadow. This is one e/s that I will buy over and over.

on 5/21/2004 2:56:00 PM

This is one of my all time favorites, and I just bought it last week. I use it as a wash and if packed on, it gives off a different color sheen at different angles. It's a very versatile product and it looks especially lovely with MAC's Sushi Flower and Creme de Violet. I'm a PPP and it doesn't wash me out at all :)

on 5/20/2004 1:18:00 AM

I really wanted to love this color since it sounded sooo pretty, but the gray tones washed me out and made me look like I was half dead, swapped it away as soon as I could