Revlon Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit [DISCONTINUED]

4.3

Frosting Powder: Potassium Persulfate , Sodium Metasilicate , Sodium Stearate , Sucrose , Sodium Persulfate , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Sodium Chloride , Sodium Silicate , Silica , Hydrated Silica , EDTA , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Ultramarines (CI 77007) , Cream Developer: Aqua (Water) , Hydrogen Peroxide , Cetearyl Alcohol , Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil) , Cyclopentasiloxane , Trimethylsiloxysilicate , Amodimethicone , C11-15 Pareth-7 , Laureth-9 , Trideceth-12 , Glycerin , Ceteareth-20 , Steareth-10 Allyl Ether , Acrylates Copolymer , Disodium Phosphate , Phosphoric Acid , EDTA , Methylparaben , After Highlighting Shampoo: Aqua (Water) , Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate , Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Lauramide MEA , Methoxypropylgluconamide , Hydrolyzed Silk , Panthenol , Tocopheryl Acetate , Retinyl Palmitate , PEG-12 Dimethicone , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Sodium C14-17 Alkyl SEC Sulfonate , Stearamine Oxide , Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose , PEG-23M , Propylene Glycol , Sodium Chloride , Citric Acid , Tetrasodium EDTA , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Parfum (Fragrance) , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde , Benzyl Benzoate , Citronellol , Hexyl Cinnamal , Limonene , Amyl Cinnamal , Yellow 5 (CI 19140) , Red 4 (CI 14700) , Red 33 (CI 17200) , Yellow 6 (CI 15985) , After Highlighting Conditioner: Aqua (Water) , Cetearyl Alcohol , Behentrimonium Chloride , Linoleamidopropyl Dimethylamine Dimer Dilinoleate , Stearyl Alcohol , Cetyl Alcohol , Panthenol , Panthenyl Ethyl Ether , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine , Amodimethicone , Diisostearoyl Trimethylolpropane Siloxy Silicate , Isostearyl Glycolate , Triisostearyl Citrate , Diisostearyl Malate , Isostearyl Lactate , Dimethicone PEG-8 Meadowfoamate , Methoxypropylgluconamide , Ceteareth-20 , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Trideceth-12 , Cetrimonium Chloride , Parfum (Fragrance) , Isopropyl Alcohol , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde , Benzyl Benzoate , Citronellol , Amyl Cinnamal , Citric Acid , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone

on 9/12/2008 9:27:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Okay, so used this product last night. Last time I had used it was about 15 years ago...and I remember it giving really good results...but I had pulled so many strands through the cap...that I was way too blonde! So, after reading all the great reviews on here...I decided to try it again.

I started out with almost black hair, straight, thick, shoulder length hair. I've been dying my hair routinely since I was 14 (a looonnnggg time ago)...so there are plenty of layers of semi-permanant and permanant hair color on my head right now!

Anyway, I bought the kit and a box of Natural Instincts in Sandalwood (dark ash blonde) to use as a toner if needed.

I used the highlighter as directed. The only difference I made was using a metal hook that I had bought a long time ago at Sally's. I pulled thin pieces of hair through every other hole and left the bleaching mixture on for 30 minutes total. The results afterward were pretty good. Most of my hair had lifted to a golden blonde color, with a few pieces underneath still being a little on the orange side. But, I followed it up with my Natural Instincts in Sandalwood...and that made all my highlights a nice, light caramely shade.

Any complaints? Well, if I had to pick out anything...it would be that you do have to be careful with the bleaching powder while mixing it. It's very easy to inhale that stuff & its not pleasant. And, yes, it is a pain pulling your hair through the back of the cap if you don't have anyone to help (which I didn't)...but it's do-able. Just have to stand with a mirror in one hand and the hook in the other & keep watching the back of your head in another mirror. Makes your arm sore...but that's a small price to pay for beauty! Oh & make sure you don't pull any loops of hair through the holes...you'll end up with polka-dots on your hair! The easiest way I've found to remedy this is after you pull your hair through the cap...take a boar-bristle type brush and brush all those strands you've pulled through. Keep brushing until you don't feel them catching on any hairs...and everything is silky and straight.

Overall, I am very pleased. I got all my products for about $15.00 and I have duplicated a look that I've walked out of a salon with for $120.00.

No complaints here...if I don't get bored with it before then...I plan to do more highlights in a couple of months!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

my hair is naturally dark brown, nearly black and i ALWAYS buy the box made for the darkest hair (honey, i think it is...)
it lightens my hair to honey blonde. i don't ever use the cap, i've tried it once, the first time i bought it and it was too hard for me. i'm uncoordinated, obviously.
i figured the best way to get the effect i wanted was to smother my hair with it, EVERYWHERE. and so that is what i do. some parts naturally come out lighter than others, so it ends up looking natural.
once i even dyed my hair with chocolate cherry by feria, and the second it started fading away (2 weeks or less) i went and dyed my hair with frost n glow, not expecting anything to happen, since i'd dyed my hair dark, but lo and behold, my hair was light again!
i've never experienced brassyness, or excessive dryness. i've used this a bunch and my hair doesn't appear any more damaged.

on 7/26/2008 7:11:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I bought this product after seeing the results on a customer. I loved it on her, and she had medium brown hair. I have auburn hair, and decided to get the box for brown hair(the honey highlights).

I didn't have a problem pulling my hair through the top, and sides of the cap but I had my mother do the back for me. We used every black circled hole. I had my mother apply the colour for me. I timed it for 30 minutes, and it was a bit brassy, so I left it on 15 more minutes, then rinsed, shampooed and conditioned as stated.

After blowdrying and straightening my hair I was very pleased with the results! It's a nice honey/caramel colour with a few lighter blonde pieces.

on 7/17/2008 7:37:00 PM

I believe this is the best box highlighting kit on the market. Salon quality.

I have strawberry blonde hair but the highlights turned out a sort of platinum blonde. Looks great!!

on 7/9/2008 9:01:00 AM

I've been using this for a few years now & absolutely love it! My base color is a med. to dark mousey blond so I use the lightest kit about every 4 months. I want to add that it's pretty important to follow the directions regarding doing a strand test, especially if you've never used this before. It's the only way to gauge the time you need to leave this on to process to your desired level. For me, my time to leave it on to process is 38-40 minutes to get veeeery pale cream colored highlights without brassiness. Also, after I've freshly highlighted I use Phytology PhytoCitrus shampoo & hair mask for at least a week or 2 and it really helps to keep my highlights brighter in the long run. There's a pic of me in my profile (standing next to my sis who's a redhead ), for reference my hair in that pic is about 6 weeks after highlighting with this product.
This is a great highlighting kit, just follow the directions & keep it on for the amount of time indicated from your strand test & you're good to go.

on 6/26/2008 3:14:00 PM

I bought the box for dark brown to black hair (my natural color is dark brown). I had to give this a low rating because it barely did anything. I got some very subtle red highlights, but it was noticeable only to me. Maybe I shouldn't have used the toner shampoo, but I noticed my hair was looking really red, so I felt it was best to use it as instructed. I gave this a 2 instead of a 1 because I guess it could've been worse. Also, I've used the kit for dark blonde to dark brown hair (many years ago), and it turned out well. I didn't re-buy that one because I wanted a less dramatic look this time. So, I thought I'd get good results with this product, and am a little disappointed. I think next time I might try it and not use the toner shampoo. I bought the lighter kit, but am afraid to use it because I don't really want blonde. Ideally, I want caramelly highlights, but haven't seen many at-home products that will give me this. I'm afraid of the salon for highlighting because of past bad experiences.

on 6/14/2008 9:23:00 AM

Awesome results!! I have shoulder length brown hair (no blonde in it at all) and this was the first time I've used an at home highlighting kit and it turned out GREAT. Left it on for 40 minutes and came out with bright blonde highlights. Only thing I didn't like about this product was the plastic tool included used to pull your hair through the cap. Next time I use it I'll probably purchase a metal one from Sally's. I am more than pleased with the results! :]

on 6/10/2008 6:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

Tried this on my blonde hair and it gave me very little color and I left it on the max of 60 min alot of damage for hardly no color at all. I would not buy this again.

Before coloring, my hair was a dull blonde with darker roots growing out. I wanted to have subtle highlights all over so I pulled only 10-15 hairs through EVERY hole. It went pretty quickly because the hair that comes out when you stick the hook thorugh once and pull it out is just the right amount. My husband helped with the back and sides so it only took about an hour. Anyway, it turned out so great. It wasn't obvious that I had highlighted, but it brightened my hair so much, and looks really natural. A great buy, and cheap way to brighten your locks.

My mom has light blonde-ish hair, and she wanted her hair to have lighter blonde highlights in it. Like everyone one else, lately we've been trying to save money whereever possible, so we picked out this Frost and Glow kit for light blonde to light brown hair.

First of all, I need to say that this would be nearly impossible to do by yourself. You DEFINITELY need someone else to help you pull the hair through the holes so it will be distributed evenly. She sat in a chair and I helped her pull the strands through the cap. I found that the hook that came with it wasn't too bad, but the crochet needle works better BUT be careful, because it could pull out more hair than you may want.

Within twenty minutes we could see her hair on the top of her head getting lighter quickly. The hair on the back, around her neck, was darker and wasn't getting much lighter. So, I suggest putting the solution on the darkest part of your hair FIRST so that has more time to lighten.

We washed it out after about thirty minutes, and it looks great! She really loves it and is very pleased. It looks like it was done in a salon! But seriously, get someone to help you, it would be way too dificult to do by yourself. Be patient, be sure you have at least an hour to devote to it, because it can't be rushed or you will get weird results.