April 20, 2014 | 1807 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

rated 3 of 5 on 1/31/2008 10:35:00 AM More reviews by wnzdazchld

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Tried this because of the reviews, but didn't work well for me. I had the hardest time using the hook to pull my hair through the cap because it was so cheaply made (gloves were too! I don't know who they were meant to fit!). Color came out a brassy blonde on my med-dark blonde hair. Very drying too. Very disappointed with the whole experience.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2008 3:36:00 AM More reviews by FlameHaze

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I purchased this product after reading several reviews on MUA, I've got to say that some reviews were pretty accurate. I purchased the box that was meant for dark brown hair, because most of my hair is kinda dark brown, but my natural hair color is black, and I wanted blond highlights and not chestnut ones.

I found it really difficult to pull out hairs all over by myself, so I'd recommend getting someone to assist you with this step. After all the hairs were successfully pulled out (after 1.5 hours of trying...) I proceeded to mix the product together. I really did not like the outcome of the mixture. It had a very low viscosity, very watery texture. I didn't think it would work at first, because I tried to put it on my hair with the spatula, but it fell off so easily so I had to use my hands instead and just rub the mixture into my hair while massaging at the same time. IIt was really messy and I was about to give up. But then I guess the mixture got a little more (just a bit) thicker, so it actually stayed on my hair. I just put the whole mixture on my hair and I let it sit in for about 50 minutes. The color that was setting in was a very soft golden blonde. I was amazed that such a watery mixture could produce such results. After rinsing and shampooing/conditioning, I found that the shampoo and conditioner given made my hair really dry, so I used my regular conditioner after. I dried my hair and the results were perfect, I had highlights in all the places that I wanted, and the color was a nice golden blonde. The total time I spent on my hair was about 3 hours. I did not like that, but I guess it was worth it.

I would definitely repurchase this product,, but I really hope the mixture isn't as watery next time.

I recommend this to anyone who would like salon-quality highlights.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2008 12:25:00 AM More reviews by settodestruct

I was actually really surprised with this product. It was really cheap and did exactly as it said. My hair is dyed black and I wanted to add a little bit of a lighter color into it so I got the chestnut one. It worked great and left a really nice color. Will definitely purchase this again!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2008 10:16:00 AM More reviews by taralynn36

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my favorite at home highlighting kit. I have medium blonde hair and usually most highlighting kits don't really even show up. This one gives me nice platinum blonde highlights. I like the cap although I hate the hook. It's really hard for it to grab my hair for some reason. I like metal hooks better than the plastic ones, they seem to work better. I will say that I find this brand really drying though. I like to deep condition several times before and after using. I don't recommend this if your hair is really dry or damaged. But it's super cheap and creates beautiful highlights so I'll keep on using.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2008 10:28:00 AM More reviews by pstrat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I recently had my hair colored back to it's original color which is around a level 6/7 ash. It was dark and monotone after having been blond for many months. Hard to get used to. Purchased the Frost & Glow for dark to medium brown hair. Pulling hair through the cap was easy, imo, and only took several minutes. Applied the solution and it lifted to a good, blond color in under 10 min. I did "every other hole" on the cap for "more subtle" results (just in case). The color is very nice! Blond and chestnut colored, subtle highlights. Just enough to break up the monotone color I had. In a few weeks I think I will "paint on" some chunkier highlights up front and use some foil rather than the cap. This will grow out nicely, I can tell. For an at home kit, this works very well. I had previously purchased a highlighting kit from Sally's, I believe it was called "beyond the zone" or something like that, for blond highlights and, even after an hour, my hair hardly lifted. The Revlon worked FAST--particularly with the "over cap" which retains the heat from your scalp and accellerates the processing time. This would have cost $85+ at the salon and I did it for $6.50 from Walmart and an hour of my time. I'm sure my method isn't as "professional" as at the salon, but if you want to save your money and get results that are good, this is definitely a good deal.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/6/2008 12:56:00 PM More reviews by Situations

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have very curly thick dyed dark brown hair. I got the highligh kid for the dark brown to black hair. 1st step putting on the cap was horrible. First of all the cap was too flimsy for my hair and then when I finally got it on, I started using the hook and it was painful and the strands were thinner than i wanted, so I did a few and decided to take it off and try to section my hair off some other way. Well, I couldn't figure out another way, so I put the cap back on. What a mistake. My head was throbbing from being poked and prodded. As someone down mentioned, this cap is not made for thick curly hair. I took off the hat and I didn't even get to test the highlight kit. Will not repurchase. Perhaps the salon is the best option for me. If anyone else knows any other at home kits for my hair, please let me know. Thanks

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2008 2:39:00 AM More reviews by Shadow_Witch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I used the medium to dark brown formula on my virgin medium brown hair two years ago.... I used the cap and hook that came with it. I did every other hole in the front and crown only. I left it in 60 minutes and I didn't use a toner. Outstanding. My stylist raved and couldn't believe I did it myself with a d/s product.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2007 6:49:00 PM More reviews by dishwaterblondie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the best product to highlight your hair at home! I have dark blond hair and I have had lots of at home highlighting disasters over the years. The cap and hook process can be difficult and painful, but I really think it makes the results better. This way the highlighting paste does not touch other pieces of hair that you want left natural.
You need to make sure you leave it on at least 45 min (try for longer) so that it doesn't turn brassy and don't pile the hair on top of your head when you are finished (this has caused some weird spots on my hair) and make sure the paste is on thick enough to stay wet during the processing time.
This does dry my hair out, but not any more than any other highlight kit.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/25/2007 3:33:00 PM More reviews by rosekiss16

The first time I did the Frost and Glow Honey highlights kit (for brown hair) and the second time I tried the Chestnut kit (for brown to black hair) since my natural hair is dark brown. The Honey highlights are best for summer if you want that sun-kissed glow. I decided since it's fall to try the Chestnut, and it is very natural. The test strand came out a reddish light brown color, and when I did the highlights all over, they blended in really well. I would probably do the chestnut kit again but do every circled hole in the front section and thicker strands in the back of the cap. The only problem I have with the Chestnut kit is I can not find it in any of the drug stores, I randomly came across it in bed & bath, so I need to order it online now.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2007 7:30:00 PM More reviews by tried_em_all

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is not bad, and I tried it just to see what I thought. I've been using the Clairol 7th Stage for years and overall, prefer it to this. The 7th Stage never goes brassy, because it has a double drabber, but the thing that sets it apart for me - is that the highlights with this continued to dry out and get a little lighter as my hair grew out. Not near as bad as some products, but because I've used the 7th Stage for so long, it was noticeable to me. Overall, my hair was in slightly better condition with the 7th Stage. I live a dry climate so it could just be me. It's more of hassle to get (Sally's and it's not a kit), but for me, I just like the quality better. If they ever stopped making my 7th Stage, I would use this. I'm a dark blond, so I don't know for really dark hair, what the comparison would be.