October 21, 2014 | 1878 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2012 12:34:00 AM More reviews by prettysaysay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Soooo Ruby Woo is my new BFF. Like seriously. Pretty much sh*ts on all other red matte lipsticks I've tried & I'm as happy as I could be. This is the only true matte MAC has aside from Moxie which they did away with (really y'all??). Russian Red is fantastic but I reallyyyy like the pinup-girl-of-the-50's look I get with this. Make sure to put a good primer or balm down before applying or this will dry your lips up & get stuck in all the creases. Have fun!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2012 3:24:00 PM More reviews by normaestrada19

Ruby Woo I looooooove YOU! What can I say that hasn't been said before????!? It's a beautiful shade that transports you to another era, when glamour was key to everyday dressing. I purchased this in Vegas and had to wear it right away. I got stopped so many times and was asked what lipstick I was wearing (I also got stopped when wearing Rebel, another MAC favorite), you'd think I was on their payroll. On me the color is a beautiful red/coral on me, not to orangy. This is defitnetly more on the orange based reds than a blue based. The formula is a bit drying, but I wear it with the MAC lip prep + prime and it feels just fine on my lips. The staying power is amazing on this lipstick as well. Again, Ruby Woo I love you!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/5/2012 10:43:00 AM More reviews by shelivsinrainbows

I cannot deny that I love the colour of this lipstick. Iím a huge red lipstick lover (especially mattes) and thought that id found my perfect red however for me the formulation lets it down. I understood when I brought Ruby Woo that it was a Retro Matte; however I couldnít believe just how dry it actually is. I did actually wonder whether I had a bad tube but after testing I found out all are the same. I find the colour very hard to actually evenly get a coat of this on my lips even after trying with brushes, the tube and even my fingers. I seem to find that as I apply the colour either streaks, rubs away or creates a chalky uneven faded red looking finish. I do wear this lipstick it just takes ages to apply to the point it looks nice. All in all I would not repurchase. Love the colour not the formula!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/3/2012 2:47:00 PM More reviews by mararum

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wouldn't buy this lipstick again because it's extremely dry on my lips. The color's more subdued / darker than Russian Red. The lipstick applies very smoothly and stays in place.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2012 3:21:00 PM More reviews by kristen20

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ah Ruby Woo, how I adore thee. The most vibrant red lipstick I own in my collection. It's a bold cherry red with blue undertones- yet somehow, it manages to remain red on my lips, without a trace of fuchsia, as so many red lipsticks tend to do. It is in the Retro Matte formula, which translates to DRY. But here is how to get it to work perfectly:

1. Exfoliate your lips prior to applying it. I like to use a towel to gently rub the dead skin off when I'm fresh out of the shower.
2. Apply lip balm and let it soak in about 80%.
3. Apply a matching lip liner. I like MAC Cherry.
4. Use a lip brush to fill in your lips with Ruby Woo, blot with a tissue, then apply again for vibrant, long-lasting color.

The best thing about this is that the matte texture will ensure that it won't rub off easily, and there is no feathering throughout the day. Russian Red is a comparable color, but it is slightly less blue-based and darker. It gives off more of a "smoldering vixen" vibe, while Ruby Woo is more of a vibrant, pin-up red. In my opinion, it's a must-have for any gal who can never have enough reds in her collection!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2012 8:56:00 PM More reviews by Brit23

The best RED ever! I love red lipsticks, and I am always looking for a better red, believe me, I have them all, Dragon Girl by Nars, Pome-Granate by BITE, Fiery by Tarte, MAC Red, Russian Red by MAC to name a few. I get compliments when I wear them, but by far the most compliments I receive are when I wear Ruby Woo. I love the color, long lasting, I do no find it drying at all. I am a MAC fan. In case, MAC stops making Ruby Woo (I doubt it) I have several Ruby Woo's, when I love a color, I buy triplicates!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2012 10:20:00 PM More reviews by owagner420

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I LOVE this lippie! Every time I go out I get compliments on it! The color, I feel, is universally flattering and yes drying but it is a Mac lipstick and I feel the gorgeous color payoff is worth it. Just make sure to exfoliate and apply balm then primer before application. The only other thing needed to carry this color is a healthy dose of confidence and a smile!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2012 4:48:00 AM More reviews by ParisNymph

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've tried many matte lipsticks and I can honestly say Ruby Woo is the best one of all. Yes, it's drying, but that's kind of what you expect with a mat lipstick. I use lipbalm 5min before I apply the lipstick and I don't feel my lips chapped or dry at all. It stays on FOREVER! And when I kiss my boyfriend I don't see a red stain in his cheek anymore.

Ruby Woo it's a great red lipstick and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes longwearing lipsticka that give you that 40s/50s look.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/16/2012 2:40:00 PM More reviews by meliatx1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have Russian Red, but wanted something a little more muted. This takes some getting used to. I had to get lip liner so it would not feather. But that is because I am over 40. Also, you need to moisturize before applying.
RW is a blue red. Matte. Long lasting and well pigmented.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/16/2012 2:03:00 AM More reviews by Wandertrieb

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Disappointed by Ruby Woo. My first red MAC lippie.
After buying this, I realised MAC had changed it's description of this from 'blue-toned' to 'orange'... Does this mean the formula changed too? Well, I bought it thinking it would suit my fair, neutral toned skin. It doesn't.
And it goes with out saying that you shouldn't even consider using this unless your lips are in top-top, moisturised condition.
I'm going to continue using this as a lip stain until it runs out (or, with a darker blue based red lipgloss over top), until I can afford MAC's 'MAC Red' or 'Russian Red'..