MAC Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

4.4

on 3/6/2013 8:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

Warning...if you're not a confident woman or are not comfortable with people looking at you, then this lipstick is NOT for you! Ruby Woo is by far the best red lipstick on the market in my opinion. Yes, as other reviewers have said, it's very very matte and very drying, but this quality is what helps to make this lipstick last all day and all night. This lipstick is the type of matte red that was worn in the 40s, so if you're looking for that 40s/50s pinup girl look, then this is the red for you. As others have said, it's a bluish red and works great for dark skintones. I'm what others would consider to be medium dark (like Sanaa Lathan or Gabrielle Union) and it works perfectly for my skintone.
After only one application, Ruby Woo doesn't budge, and when I say it doesn't budge, I mean I literally put it on in the morning and I don't have to touch it up, even after eating and drinking. The first time I wore this I had to check periodically to make sure that it wasn't really fading as I hadn't touched it up all day and to my surprise it looked just like it did when I put it on. It does transfer a little bit when drinking, but the color still stays true. I also play roller derby and wear this for all of our bouts and even after sweating and rough-housing with other players, this lipstick STILL didn't budge.
For roller derby bouts I wear the lipstick like it is over Brick lipliner from MAC (perfect match), but when I wear Ruby Woo to work, I take Burgundy lipliner (also from MAC) and color that all over the lip over the Ruby Woo and it tones the brightness down a bit to make it more work appropriate. The Burgundy just slightly darkens the lipstick while still being able to keep the lipstick nice and red. I've gotten tons and tons of compliments on this lipstick and I've noticed that sometimes people will do a double take because it just screams look at me! I'm definitely not someone who vies for attention, but I am very confident in my self and know who I am and what I'm all about, and that's kind of the attitude you have to have when wearing this.

on 2/27/2013 9:16:00 PM

This is my very 1st lipstick and I bought it cause my hubby wanted me to wear red lol i love the staying power of this lipstick but i hate that it dries my lips bad

I was allergic to lippies. My lips get itchy and i get rashes around my lip area. For years, I wasn't really wearing any, i was afraid. It was boring. Not until, I got a job which requires me wearing full makeup. The makeup artist used MAC lippies on me. It makes your lips dry but i pair it with MAC lip conditioner to moisturize my lips first before putting ruby woo on. I'm a believer! Color brightens my face. It doesn't scatter because it's matte. It doesn't go to my front teeth after eating or talking too much unlike MAC's Russian red. It didn't give me rash and no itchiness anymore. I will definitely buy this! Again!! It's always sold out though! The best red lipstick, so far..

on 2/8/2013 2:42:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I loved a lot of things about Ruby Woo, but I probably won't end up getting it again.

The pros, first! After you apply Ruby Woo, it is going to last all day. There's very little transfer while eating or drinking, which is pretty rad. It's a fabulous matte, and dishes up a very classic look that I loved. The colour is very noticeable, and you'll be sure to get many compliments! Overall, very good quality product!

As for cons, as you may have read before, this lip stick is suuuuuuuper dry. Even when I prepped my lips super well and put a little chapstick on after the fact, my lips sometimes still felt like two prominent deserts colliding at my mouth. It was something I got used to after a while, but it was a definite set back.

Another con was more personal for me, as I have a lot of pinkish and purplish hues in my skin (I've the delightful skin tone of a pale Irish potato, sadly), and lipsticks that have blue and purpley undertones sometimes are less than flattering on me. Now, Ruby Woo is fairly close to a true red, so it wasn't too bad, but some days (bad skin days, weird weather days, who knows) it would just look meh with my skin tone.

Overall, Ruby Woo is a fine enough lipstick! It just wasn't for me.

on 2/5/2013 7:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

absolutely love this color! I was scared to wear red lipstick but this color looks great on me (nw47). It really does work for every skin tone. Its a matte lipstick so dont apply on dry lips. I apply a bit of chapstick before I wear it. I get lots of compliments. Sometimes I line with my chestnut lip liner. The perfect red lip.

on 2/2/2013 6:35:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Love love love this lipstick. It is a great vibrant red with blue/cool undertones. I use a lipgloss on top and it looks fantastic. Sometimes when i need a bit of colour, i just dab it on my lips lightly to give them a little tint. it's perfect.
And not to mention it smells amazing.

on 1/23/2013 2:00:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

The perfect red for fair skin with cool undertones. LOVE IT

on 1/22/2013 8:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Full Size Image

Ruby Woo, a special red.
This red will look more blue based on cool toned ladies and more brown based on warm toned ladies, but if completely opaque, it is a pure red with a magenta (a cool, true magenta) undertone. I am wearing it completely opaque, over Nivea Kiss of Milk& Honey lip balm. My lips are shaped such that lip color always ends up migrating outside the boundary of my lip. Therefore, I invested in some MAC prep and prime for lips to use specifically with Ruby Woo. This color, while high maintenance and very dry, is worth the extra care, in my opinion! I'll follow up on how it looks with the primer under it.

Well, the Prep & Prime for lips is really great: it truly does hold lipstick! One caveat is that the Prep & Prime dilutes the intensity of Ruby Woo. However, this is not really a deal breaking thing in terms of being able to wear this color with less boldness, it just takes more coats to get to opaque. And I'm seriously impressed by the way the primer keeps the lipstick hugging my lip contours evenly. I've written a separate review for the primer.

Wow, am I lucky that this was my first MAC lipstick experience! MAC lipstick is fabulous!

on 1/20/2013 5:21:00 PM

On my porcelain skin, this color is vivid and eye-catching in the best way. Instant glamour. And not as expensive as I would have though, about $14-15 dollars at the Mac store in NYC. It does last a long time but after awhile it dries my lips out and starts to flake off. Not so glam. I definitely recommend exfoliating and hydrating your lips before application. If you are the type who needs lip balm throughout the day, I'd go for a glossier color instead of Ruby Woo, which is super matte and drying.

on 1/20/2013 2:29:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This color is an essential red shade...and necessary in every girl's make up kit! This blue based red is flattering on an array of skin tones and looks glam and amazing no matter what the occasion. I buckled and bought this shade after many months of contemplation and it did not disappoint. It is universally flattering and perfect for anyone ready to take on bold red lips! You'll be glad you did!

Video Reviews & Tutorials