April 23, 2014 | 1404 users online

Pressed Powders - New York Color - Pressed Translucent Powder

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2004 6:03:00 PM More reviews by beautyqueen13

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Lemme just say, I've found my HG of face powder! I have extremely oily skin and nothing seemed to give me the perfection I demanded. I wanted a pressed face powder that lasts, is easy to tote and apply, doesn't make my face chalky, is cheap, and lasts a long time. I found all of these in my little NYC compact. I've tried numerous other powders. MAC was too chalky and broke the moment I put it in my backpack. Origins All and Nothing loose powder washed out my face and is impossible to pocket. I also tried Natural Rice Dual Wet and Dry which was drying and hard to apply. All of them lasted only an hour or two. When I found the NYC powder at Wal Mart for only $1.79 I thought I'd give it a try. It lasts through the whole day, won't break when I toss it in my pack, and gives me a natural, healthy glow. One warning, the little pink sponge SUCKS so don't use it. I like using a large powder brush so it distributes easily and evenly. I LOVE THIS PRODUCT!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2004 12:51:00 AM More reviews by Penguin

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff plain works! I always have a compact with me. I will not be without it.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2004 2:11:00 PM More reviews by karralys

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

After some experimentation I am quite happy with this little compact. At first I was applying far too much which resulted in quite a cakey effect; now, I swipe the sponge and blow off almost everything that was picked up before patting my shinier areas. Not bad for the price - I keep it as a backup in my desk.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/9/2004 3:59:00 PM More reviews by rustload

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a nice product, especially for the price, but it's a bit too pinky-toned for me. Also, it can be chalky if your skin is dry like mine. I used to love this for its cheap price and mattifying powers, but I'm now a fan of Cornsilk pressed powder which is just a few dollars more, has better packaging, works with my dry skin better and doesn't look chalky.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2004 5:47:00 PM More reviews by GonnaBeARockStar

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

A pretty good quality product. Its silky smooth, but can look a bit chalky at times. Controls oil pretty well. I like to use this after blotting with Palladio Rice Paper sheets. The packaging is so ugly though...**UPDATE** I do not like this. Makes me look too chalky and ghastly even when I try to use it sparingly. It doesn't look natural at all. Oh...and I suspect that this may be breaking me out... It does control oil well though.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/5/2004 5:22:00 PM More reviews by Sugarswirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is your basic powder- dirt cheap, too. Like everyone else has mentioned, if you apply too much you'll look chalky. My only advice is to go slowly when you apply, dust off excess from the puff and if you'd like a more natural look, use a brush. I'll definitely be buying it again! I'd pay two bucks for the mirror alone =P

UPDATE//

I have since switched to a covergirl pressed powder, the one in the green case. In hindsight, even though the NYC one had great coverage, it was chalky, the color wasn't flesh-like and the texture was too dry. Covergirl is much more natural-looking, in my opinion.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/28/2004 7:58:00 PM More reviews by Rjrstar12

A good powder; It looks better on me when i use a brush instead of the sponge included. Anyway i bought this in Naturally Beige and it gives my skin a nice soft finish. Might buy again.
UPDATE-The other day we went to a play and i took this powder in one of my purses; well the next day i opened my purse to find a crumbly, powdery mess! I don't know how it happened, just wanted to warn you-be careful and don't jar it too much. I might reconsider next time and buy a different brand.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/11/2004 1:59:00 PM More reviews by luxekitty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is my favorite pressed powder. It is so incredibly cheap and effective. I use this to set my makeup for the day. Of course, I use a big fluffy brush from Face Secrets, not that horrible little sponge they provide. I also use this for touchups b/c I live in such a humid place. I love this stuff so much that I have 3 floating around (one in my car, one in my makeup bag, and oe in my purse). You do have to be careful w/touchups as the powder can be a little messy.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2004 6:22:00 PM More reviews by cac22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

So this is my first pressed powder, because I just never bothered with it untilI decided to try it out. I bought this because of the surprisingly good reviews and the dirt cheap price ($1.99 AND I got it half of because there was a sale... $1 for an amazing product is definitely not bad). When I opened it up I was a little disappointed because the puff looked sooo cheap and the product just didn't look magical. Despite my initial disappointment, I followed the directions-- "Glide powder puff across Pressed Powder and smooth over forehead, cheeks, chin & jawline"-- simple enough. Then I looked to see the outcome and... there was noooo shine what-so-ever, even on this hot summer day. And my skin felt soooo soft. I have a little bit of dry, cracked skin around areas where I have pimples (nose area), and I noticed the dry spots were highlighted a little bit, but if you avoid areas like that, or if you have no dry skin, this would be great. I have pale skin, and although this is supposed to be transluscent, I noticed that it lightened even my already-pale skin tone a bit, so unless you have pale skin, this color might be a problem. I don't really have any other powder experiences to compare this to, but I highly recommend this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2004 2:36:00 PM More reviews by Mambar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It smells good, has excellent coverage, and is extremely cheap. I like to look really white and this stuff helps me achieve this look. However, one could just use a little bit of it to create a natural look.