Chanel Vitalumiere

3.9

water, ethylhexyl palmitate, neopentyl glycol diethylhexanoate, cyclomethicone, talc, caprylic/capric triglyceride, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, HDI/trimethylol hexyllactone crosspolymer, propylene glycol, PEG-30 dipolyhydroxystearate, glycerin, butylene glycol, phenoxyethanol, fragrance, methylparaben, disteardimmonium hectorite, disodium stearoyl glutamate, polyglyceryl-3 beeswax, propylparaben, tocopherol, lecithin, ascorbyl palmitate, glyceryl stearate, alcohol denat., walnut seed, silica, laminaria digitata extract, glyceryl oleate, sodium hyaluronate, aluminum hydroxide, citric acid, sodium metabisulfate, BHT, licorice extract, butylparaben, ethylparaben, isobutylparaben.

on 2/21/2010 3:12:00 PM

I was extremely disappointed with this foundation, I've been wanting to find the perfect foundation for ages, but its been so frustrating buying new products to find they don't suit me at all. I wanted a change from the ysl perfect touch foundation that i used because i'd bought two bottles of it in a row and i like trying out new products. Because i'd got on so well with Chanel's bronze universal i thought i'd try their foundation, plus i'd heard good reviews about it. I purchased this foundation because i have dry skin and this is recommended rather than the matte foundation that Chanel do.

Out of all the high priced make-up brands that i've tried for foundation, this has been the worst. It was disgustingly greasy when i put it on, half way through the day i couldn't touch my face because it was so oily, if i ran my finger across my cheek it felt like i was wiping a load of lard off it, it was a horrible and uncomfortable feeling! it was a similar feeling to when you first put your foundation on and your waiting for it to dry - it was like this foundation never dried!

The colour match was quite good, but i didn' t like the finish, i later found out its meant to have as described a 'slightly satin finish' but i just found it had a shiny greasy finish! with no that much coverage either, it was quite thin so i didn't feel it gave enough coverage around the nose, and other problem areas.

The only plus point of this foundation for me was the packaging, i really like Chanel's packaging and this foundation came in a lovely glass bottle that had an easy to use pump and a cap that stayed put!

As i said before i'd heard that Chanel had good reviews for their foundation and a make-up artist at ysl told me that he thinks people either love or hate the foundation from his experience...so if your thinking of purchasing i would ask for a tester sample first, because i tried it on before i bought it but at that time i didn't realize how greasy it would become. Although, i was able to take it back and get a refund luckily, which is always a good thing about buying from luxury brands - they are always willing to keep you happy and give you a refund or exchange so that you will come back in the future.

After using this foundation (and trying two others by different brands) i was relieved to finally go back to ysls perfect touch foundation - which i will review as well :)

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Absoloutly lovely. I have very oily skin and this makes me look matte but healthy and glowing! Gives a nice coverage and covers freckles and spots. I got the palest shade they do and it blends to my skin flawlesly. My only problems are that the pump top seems to have got a little blocked but an orange stick unblocked it very effectively. If I press the pump all the way down I only need half the ammount to get a good, full coverage but as it goes off after a year its not too bad. Overall an amazing product that I will definately buy again.

on 1/30/2010 1:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

This is my HG foundation. It's the only one i've found thats fair enough for my pale skandivian skin(NC15-NC25). The formula is very light, and soo easy to apply. I use a foundation brush, and apply from a dab on my hand. The result is perfect-looking, dewy skin, and the result lasts all day, even when not wearing powder on top. (Partly thanks to my primer of course.) Thanks to its yellow tone, it's perfect for covering spots as well. It is very expensive, but it is also the best. I am on my 2nd bottle now. It is very longlasting, and I had my first bottle for nearly two years. I know you're not supposed to have it that long, but it's in a pump-bottle, and fingers doesn't ever come close. (I store it in a drawer, so no sunlight hits it.)

on 1/28/2010 11:28:00 PM

This foundation works like a dream for my skin. I used BB skin before this one and it was too matte & made my skin break out. I used, and liked, chanel TI in 20 claire before that and thought i'd try it again, but the shade was too dark and the lighter shades weren't available. So i ended up getting the vitalumiere in 10 limpide and WOW i am in love. It is extremely hydrating and glides on smoothly. There's more coverage than TI or BB skin but still goes on fairly sheer. You can build the coverage to light-medium easily. It had withstood 40degrees heat and managed to stay lookimg fresh and dewy, not oily. And it hasn't made me break out. It was pricey but definitely worth it. a little bit goes a long way, so it'll last me.

UPDATE: I have become too pale for this shade and unfortunately can't use it anymore. I have moved onto other foundations but if there were lighter shades available in Australia I would repurchase.

on 1/14/2010 12:23:00 AM

This was the best liquid foundation I have ever tried. Revlon Colorstay was too heavy and makeup-ish, making me feel like my pores were clogged. This gives the perfect amount of coverage for me, just a nice, even tone and for the spots that need concealer, I just unscrew the bottle and take some of the slightly dried residue on the mouth of the bottle that is a bit thicker. The formula feels very moisturizing and spreads easily with my fingers, no damp sponge needed, and a little covers my whole face but I usually use it just where I need it. It does not seem to clog my pores and it looks exactly like beautiful light-from-within skin, not obvious-foundation matte or greasy. I set it with translucent powder for a matte look and so it looks natural later in the day when I get oilier and it just settles with the foundation. I have gotten compliments on how smooth my skin looks with this foundation on which makes me want to laugh because in reality, I have bad skin.

on 1/6/2010 5:55:00 AM

I tried a sample of this product and I absolutely hated it: wrong colour, strange smell and no staying power (my original review was very negative).
I decided to give it another go and this time I have been matched to a better colour (Limpide 10). I "fix" this foundation with Laura Mercier Translucent powder and it stays on all day (I do not use a primer), it is not cakey at all and gives a nice and natural glow. I apply it with my fingers and it goes on like a dream. It looks like I am not wearing any foundation, it evens out my skin and conceals imperfections (it is sheer to medium coverage so if you need a lot of coverage you would need a concealer).
The colour selection is very poor and the shade oxidise and turns brownish and the smell is quite plasticky. Therefore the poor rating (the colour is just wrong for PPP).

** EDIT: I have tried tons of foundations and abandoned the Vitalumiere due to the colour being too brownish for my complexion (yes, even 10 Limpide is too dark). As I could not find anything that works in terms of glow and moisurising effect I got back to it and tried to find a solution for the bad selection of colours. I bought Face & Body foundation by MAC in white. I add a bit to Vitalumiere. It lightenes the shade without changing the consistency/texture. And the result, in terms of colour, is satisfactory. A little bit messy as it requires a lot of work to get the right shade. The problem is that this mix broke me out so in the end did not work.

on 1/3/2010 5:09:00 PM

Love how light this foundation is. My skin looks radiant and even toned. Walked on a plane the other day and the women in front of me turned to tell me how beautiful my skin was. Would have given it a 5 if it had spf20 in it.

on 11/25/2009 8:43:00 PM

I am the target consumer for this foundation, but after extensively sampling it I am left with the conclusion that Chanel has not hit the bullseye.

Vitalumiere foundation is intended to leave a dewy, moist finish, and on this point it delivers. It has a sheer (but somewhat buildable) coverage that was its first drawback: It did not cover minor skin imperfections (slight discoloration, uneveness of tone). I built up two layers of it and had to use more concealer than I normally would.

My second gripe was the sticky/tacky finish. I really felt as if I were wearing foundation--or something--on my face. My face looked damp/dewy and yet felt adhesive. My forehead felt both adhesive and greasy.

The third issue was lasting power. I had some suspicion that Vitalumiere had worn off after a couple of hours and I proved myself right by "washing" my face with water and a light-colored washcloth.
There was not a trace of foundation on the washcloth. Nor was there a trace of my blush, which had slipped off hours earlier.

I need to point out that I was using a primer that usually performs brilliantly for me. I was surprised at the fragility of Vitalumiere and suspect it would perform best on someone with extremely dry skin, on whom other foundations cake. It was a disappointment on me and hardly worth the money when a far cheaper foundation is doing the job without harming the wallet.

Not for me, and the stickiness alone was enough to make me avoid this product. The color matched well and I do like Chanel shadows and blushes, but this experience would not lead me to seek out other Chanel foundation solutions. continued >>

on 11/22/2009 11:58:00 AM

Well I'll start off with the positives:
1) The coverage was perfect for me, not too heavy and it left me glowing
2) The packaging was good, although it was a little tricky to see how much was left in the bottle
3) I love the smell! It reminds me of being a little girl and playing around with my mum's make-up bag!

Negatives:
1) The price: I know it's Chanel but really I think they're ripping it a bit. This foundation went up in price about £8 in the year that I used it, I wouldn't say that this product is any better than similar ones by MAC or Bobbi Brown yet by the time I stopped using it it cost quite a bit more, sort it out Chanel!
2) Colour range, basically just rubbish!

Overall, not a bad product but like I said MAC and BB have similar at a cheaper price and more shades to choose from.

on 11/15/2009 7:01:00 AM

I really like the subtle glow this foundation gives my skin while providing good coverage. My color is 0.8 Gentle Ivory. It's not really all that light. I find Chanel foundations don't go as light as other brands. I'm not crazy about the scent but I like the way it looks and feels. And it lasts all day without changing.