Chanel Vitalumiere

3.9

water, ethylhexyl palmitate, neopentyl glycol diethylhexanoate, cyclomethicone, talc, caprylic/capric triglyceride, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, HDI/trimethylol hexyllactone crosspolymer, propylene glycol, PEG-30 dipolyhydroxystearate, glycerin, butylene glycol, phenoxyethanol, fragrance, methylparaben, disteardimmonium hectorite, disodium stearoyl glutamate, polyglyceryl-3 beeswax, propylparaben, tocopherol, lecithin, ascorbyl palmitate, glyceryl stearate, alcohol denat., walnut seed, silica, laminaria digitata extract, glyceryl oleate, sodium hyaluronate, aluminum hydroxide, citric acid, sodium metabisulfate, BHT, licorice extract, butylparaben, ethylparaben, isobutylparaben.

on 1/14/2010 12:23:00 AM

This was the best liquid foundation I have ever tried. Revlon Colorstay was too heavy and makeup-ish, making me feel like my pores were clogged. This gives the perfect amount of coverage for me, just a nice, even tone and for the spots that need concealer, I just unscrew the bottle and take some of the slightly dried residue on the mouth of the bottle that is a bit thicker. The formula feels very moisturizing and spreads easily with my fingers, no damp sponge needed, and a little covers my whole face but I usually use it just where I need it. It does not seem to clog my pores and it looks exactly like beautiful light-from-within skin, not obvious-foundation matte or greasy. I set it with translucent powder for a matte look and so it looks natural later in the day when I get oilier and it just settles with the foundation. I have gotten compliments on how smooth my skin looks with this foundation on which makes me want to laugh because in reality, I have bad skin.

on 1/6/2010 5:55:00 AM

I tried a sample of this product and I absolutely hated it: wrong colour, strange smell and no staying power (my original review was very negative).
I decided to give it another go and this time I have been matched to a better colour (Limpide 10). I "fix" this foundation with Laura Mercier Translucent powder and it stays on all day (I do not use a primer), it is not cakey at all and gives a nice and natural glow. I apply it with my fingers and it goes on like a dream. It looks like I am not wearing any foundation, it evens out my skin and conceals imperfections (it is sheer to medium coverage so if you need a lot of coverage you would need a concealer).
The colour selection is very poor and the shade oxidise and turns brownish and the smell is quite plasticky. Therefore the poor rating (the colour is just wrong for PPP).

** EDIT: I have tried tons of foundations and abandoned the Vitalumiere due to the colour being too brownish for my complexion (yes, even 10 Limpide is too dark). As I could not find anything that works in terms of glow and moisurising effect I got back to it and tried to find a solution for the bad selection of colours. I bought Face & Body foundation by MAC in white. I add a bit to Vitalumiere. It lightenes the shade without changing the consistency/texture. And the result, in terms of colour, is satisfactory. A little bit messy as it requires a lot of work to get the right shade. The problem is that this mix broke me out so in the end did not work.

on 1/3/2010 5:09:00 PM

Love how light this foundation is. My skin looks radiant and even toned. Walked on a plane the other day and the women in front of me turned to tell me how beautiful my skin was. Would have given it a 5 if it had spf20 in it.

on 11/25/2009 8:43:00 PM

I am the target consumer for this foundation, but after extensively sampling it I am left with the conclusion that Chanel has not hit the bullseye.

Vitalumiere foundation is intended to leave a dewy, moist finish, and on this point it delivers. It has a sheer (but somewhat buildable) coverage that was its first drawback: It did not cover minor skin imperfections (slight discoloration, uneveness of tone). I built up two layers of it and had to use more concealer than I normally would.

My second gripe was the sticky/tacky finish. I really felt as if I were wearing foundation--or something--on my face. My face looked damp/dewy and yet felt adhesive. My forehead felt both adhesive and greasy.

The third issue was lasting power. I had some suspicion that Vitalumiere had worn off after a couple of hours and I proved myself right by "washing" my face with water and a light-colored washcloth.
There was not a trace of foundation on the washcloth. Nor was there a trace of my blush, which had slipped off hours earlier.

I need to point out that I was using a primer that usually performs brilliantly for me. I was surprised at the fragility of Vitalumiere and suspect it would perform best on someone with extremely dry skin, on whom other foundations cake. It was a disappointment on me and hardly worth the money when a far cheaper foundation is doing the job without harming the wallet.

Not for me, and the stickiness alone was enough to make me avoid this product. The color matched well and I do like Chanel shadows and blushes, but this experience would not lead me to seek out other Chanel foundation solutions. continued >>

on 11/22/2009 11:58:00 AM

Well I'll start off with the positives:
1) The coverage was perfect for me, not too heavy and it left me glowing
2) The packaging was good, although it was a little tricky to see how much was left in the bottle
3) I love the smell! It reminds me of being a little girl and playing around with my mum's make-up bag!

Negatives:
1) The price: I know it's Chanel but really I think they're ripping it a bit. This foundation went up in price about £8 in the year that I used it, I wouldn't say that this product is any better than similar ones by MAC or Bobbi Brown yet by the time I stopped using it it cost quite a bit more, sort it out Chanel!
2) Colour range, basically just rubbish!

Overall, not a bad product but like I said MAC and BB have similar at a cheaper price and more shades to choose from.

on 11/15/2009 7:01:00 AM

I really like the subtle glow this foundation gives my skin while providing good coverage. My color is 0.8 Gentle Ivory. It's not really all that light. I find Chanel foundations don't go as light as other brands. I'm not crazy about the scent but I like the way it looks and feels. And it lasts all day without changing.

I have clear normal to dry skin and have been wearing this for 1 year.

The colour range is good so there was no problem finding a perfect match for my yellow undertoned skin.

It provides a light to medium coverage and dewy finish and leaves my skin with an even and radiant complexion.

The formula can be built up and is best applied with a foundation brush or sponge.

Unlike the Revlon Colorstay foundations, it is easy to wash off with make up remover and cleanser.

I like the packaging as it has a hygienic pump dispenser which prevents you from applying too much product.

I will not repurchase this again for the following reasons:
* expensive
* it broke me out (given I’ve hardly ever broken out in my life)
* not hydrating enough, only slightly moisturising
* feels sticky on the skin.
* not long lasting and has the tendency to slide off or disappear a few hours after application
* it won’t cover dark scars or spots and dark under eye circles so a concealer will definitely need to be purchased.

I would recommend this to those with normal skin that’s reasonably clear.

on 11/14/2009 9:47:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I love this foundation. I bought it in Limpide-Nude intensity 0.5, which is quite light. I've used NARS Balanced Foundation in Deauville in the past, and I find that these two shades are a very close match, and they both perfectly match my skin. I can use this foundation in the summer and winter. I have dry-ish skin, and this is has a lovely dewy finish (which I am a big fan of). The colour stays true. This product doesn't dry out over the day, and my skin always feels good with it on. The coverage is sheer/medium... I use it to even out my skin tone in places. It blends beautifully. I highly recommend this foundation, and I will definitely re-purchase.

Also, the packaging leaves nothing to be desired, it's perfect.

on 11/14/2009 12:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I received a sample of this the other day. This is possibly the worst foundation I've tried. I just hate it. It feels like plastic on my skin, like my skin can't breathe underneath it, despite the fact that I only applied a thin layer with a sponge. The lightest color, Limpide I believe, turned orange in a matter of minutes. It was sticky and shiny and didn't cover anything. I stuck it out for 20 minutes, then I just had to wash it off. I remember trying the creamy version in the pot a few years ago and I hated that one too.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is a lovely foundation if it's the right one for your skin type, which for me, it is. It's a lovely dewy foundation, light as feather however for me, the colours are horrendous, very dark and very orange. That said, I have been mixing it with my favourite cream foundation (Givenchy in Exact Dragee) which has gotten too light because we're hitting up summer in Aus and I've been outside for upwards of 4 hours a day. Anyway, been squirting a bit in a an empty pot and squashing it around with my foundation which in my opinion has made an hybrid foundation, so sheer but covering my spots and with a dusting of powder, staying put for 12 hours through high heat and humidity. Will continue to buy this to play with but will only give 4 stars because I would be even happier if they went a hell of a lot paler.