LUSH coal face soap

3.9

Liquorice Root Decoction (Glycyrrhiza glabra) , Water (Aqua) , Rapeseed Oil (Brassica napus) , Glycerine , Coconut Oil (Cocos nucifera) , Sorbitol , Fragrance , Sodium Stearate , Sodium Hydroxide , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Sandalwood Oil (Santalum austro-caledonicum vieill and Fusanus spicatus) , Rosewood Oil (Aniba rosaeordora) , Powdered Charcoal , Sodium Chloride , EDTA , Tetrasodium Etidronate , Farnesol , Geraniol , Linalool , Silver Lustre (Potassium silicate, Titanium dioxide, Iron oxides and Iron hydroxides) .

on 11/13/2008 10:45:00 AM

I have been fighting with hormonal adult acne for...well forever it would seem. I have tried pretty much everything and I love this! I have been using only a short amount of time, but between this, the Tea Tree Water toner and Vanishing Cream...my face has never been so happy! Yes, it's not the best smelling soap, but it really feels so good and like it's really doing its job. It should last me quite a while so long as I keep it dry when not in use and if it continues to keep my skin clear and happy I think it could definitely hit HG status. I'll keep you posted :D

on 10/23/2008 10:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

i recently got this Coal Face soap as part of a generous sample bag of products that the people at LUSH made for me on my first visit to the store. now before i review it, i should probably mention that i have pretty easy, normal skin that doesn't suffer from acne, over-oiliness/dryness or super sensitivity, so most things i try work fine for me without any adverse effects. because of this, i usually don't spend a lot of money on fancy cleansers because 1. less expensive ones work just as well for me and 2. i would rather splurge on a product (like serum or cream) that's going to stay on my skin for longer than 30-60 seconds and get some work done. even though i'm very happy with my current cleanser (Garnier Nutritioniste Gel Cleanser), i would still like to buy a full-size bar of this Coal Face soap. i actually really like it! although on the label it says it's recommended for combination/oily skin, it doesn't dry out or strip my normal/slighty combo skin and doesn't make it tight and uncomfortable feeling. the way i use it is pretty basic; i splash some warm water on my face, build up a lather in my hands and then massage my skin before rinsing. it leaves my face feeling squeaky clean (in a good way) and completely removes my makeup, although i don't wear a ton of hard-to-dissolve products (i don't know how well it would remove things like primer, long-wear foundation, waterproof mascara, etc.). although there are little tiny particles of coal powder embedded in the soap for exfoliating, i can't see how they would work unless you took the bar of soap and rubbed it all over your face, which i don't do. you'll probably need a separate exfoliator besides Coal Face if you're flaky, or you could always just use it with a washcloth. i've been using the chunk of soap they gave me for about a week now and there is still a good bit left (and i even used it in the shower with exfoliating gloves one night, too! it worked really well as a body soap!) so i think it's pretty affordable and would last a decent amount of time with daily use. i would definitely recommend this soap for people with any kind of skin except really dry, because it might be too stripping for skin that's already dehydrated. i plan to repurchase, and would especially do so for the summertime when you're feeling hot and sticky after a long day since this soap leaves you feeling extra clean and very refreshed. **UPDATE** i absolutely love this! i bought a regular sized chunk after finishing up my sample and have been using this just about every night before bed to wash off my makeup and deep clean my skin. it removes every speck of oil, grime, and makeup and never leaves my skin feeling tight or dries it out. i love the soft, grey lather it produces and actually look forward to using it! and i have started actually rubbing the bar gently on my face on areas where i want a little exfoliation. love it! definitely will repurchase again.

on 10/16/2008 12:52:00 PM

I am loving this soap. My chin acne has been put in it place.. finally.. . If you have dry skin you might want to stay away from this soap. I first use sweet japanese girl then wash it off with coalface i think that helps my skin from drying out. I wasnt expecting any change in my blackheads around my nose but they have started to shrink which was a pleasant suprise.

on 10/13/2008 10:41:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Product Claims:
1) Squeaky clean skin
2) Exfoliating
3) Oil absorber
4) Soothing and calming

Packaging:
(North America) Comes in a cheap clear plastic container. You could easily depot/bring in your own container, which is especially easy when buying your own quantity as it's weighed before wrapped.

Formula:
A bar-form cleanser which creates a minor lather. The lather is a dark grey and contains gritty bits (derived from the bar itself, so the pieces can be inconsistent in amount with different uses). It's best to cut up into small pieces instead of leaving intact as using it will cause it to get slimy over time. It has a pretty strong but (in my opinion) inoffensive fragrance to it, not completely like licorice but I'd guess that it's a combo of charcoal bits and licorice. Strong enough to linger on the skin but did not irritate/annoy me.

Performance:
Left my skin feeling very clean, and overly clean. Definitely shows up black when using but rinses away completely. i'd often be left with little pieces of grit on my face that were hard to rinse off entirely - probably best to use in the shower for easier rinsing. The grit/exfoliation was quite irritating and the cleansing ingredients were drying. The overall result was a worsening of my sebaceous filaments, worsening in irritation and dehydration, and a tight and oily sensation to the skin. Usually resulted in a fairly red face even with very gentle use.

Price:
~$13.00CAD for a 100g bar, but amounts can be customized in-store. Not a lot seems to be needed so a smaller amount could probably suffice. Not overly pricey but on the pricier end.

Verdict:
Although a promising cleanser for oilier skin, it did not work for me. It could possibly work as a once to twice a week treatment, but I'd definitely not recommend this as a daily, regular cleanser.
* Overall Rating: 2.5/5
* Price: 2/5
* Packaging Quality: 2/5
* Repurchase: No.

on 10/13/2008 9:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Coalface to the rescue! I was going thru a very bad breakout and through the process of elimination (nuts, B-vitamins, DHEA, and Lush's Angels on Bare Skin) I learned it was actually the Angels on Bareskin that exascerbated horribly a cystic acne chin breakout. After using Coalface and Fresh Farmacy for two weeks, my skin has calmed down considerably. I'm getting back a glow and now have to wait out the fading spots. I love Coalface. It's the soap for me and perfect for my very sensitive, very oily skin. I really don't need moisturizer in summer other than Aloe (I like Jasons). In winter, looks like Enzymion by Lush answers the mail. I like sooo many products by this company. I think I rubbed to vigorously with Angels on Bareskin, but I'm gunshy with that cleanser right now...

on 10/10/2008 12:00:00 PM

I bought this after discovering LUSH and looking at all the product reviews on MUA. I read the reviews and knew I had to try it.
First off, this soap cleans like no other! It takes of makeup, grease, dirt, oil.....you name it, it's gone. But on the other hand, it seemed to really over-strip my skin. I'm fairly certain that after using this for about a week, my skin became more oily. I presume it was trying to compinsate for the fact that it was being stripped of all natural oil on a daily basis. Even though I used moisturizer, I think my skin was still wayyy off balance. I might use this once in a blue moon, when I feel like I need a good deep clean or I might return it. Undecided. Wouldn't repurchase.

on 10/9/2008 12:54:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Like most people I was quite skeptical about this product, looking at it, it's a big black bar of soap, not exactly the colour you expect most of the products you put on your face to be. That being said, I LOVE using this soap. It cleans my oily, acne prone skin soooo well, it lathers up really nicely, and leaves my skin soft and clean. I don't know if it's the case with everyones Coal Soap, but one side of mine is really grainy, so if I want some extra exfoliation I use that side, but even without using that side of the soap my face feels just as smooth as when I use other exfoliators. I'm currently using this with Lush's Angels on Bare Skin, loving the Coal Soap more though. I'm not sure if it's helped with my acne, but it is a great face wash, do try it!!
UPDATE: got too lazy with a bar of soap, back to the drawing board, good product just not a fan of the packaging

on 9/29/2008 4:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This was way tooo too drying for my combination to oily skin. It really did a number on my skin which I am still trying to fix. I'm glad I just purchased $5.00 worth of it.

It does clearn well, maybe too well.

on 9/28/2008 10:51:00 AM

This is my new favorite cleanser (along with herbalism which I use in the morning). I use this at night to remove the day's makeup and I have to say that my face has never felt cleaner. This stuff really gets rid of every last bit of dirt, grease, oil, whatever. My face is literally squeaky clean after using this.

on 9/27/2008 11:46:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I bought this for my son (15, acne, the whole bit). Nothing was working - not the University acne system (same as Proactive), not Panoxyl, and not much for Oxy system. He was looking awful - he is very pale, so the redness is extremely noticeable, his face was always greasy, and the puss pimples were just gross and spreading. I was in LUSH last week, and I saw this soap. Black, yes my son would use a black soap, and I liked the description, so they gave me a generous sample. The results: WOW. My son only uses the soap now. Twice a day he washes with it. His skin is clearing up and it's day four. He says it leaves his skin a little sticky, like it is not overly dry he says, but clean as well. His skin isn't tight, it feels moisturized he said, and yet the acne is disappearing along with the redness at an amazing rate. I am so excited about this - it's not cheap soap, but he has been suffering for a year with no results from any system! This is the only thing that is working. Highly recommend to try.

UPDATE: Ok it's been about three months now. He was having a hard time with the redness and fresh breakouts that just wouldn't heal. We tried everything. We went on vacation a couple of weeks ago, and he switched to my old Lancome cleanser along with the normal regime instead of the soap which I didn't want to drag along. His skin started to clear up almost immediately. The redness started to disappear, and no new bad outbreaks. His acne was controlled. It happened very fast after stopping using this soap, Later, I was talking to an esthetician and she said that LUSH uses a lot of fagrance in some of their products and that they've been known to irritate sensitive skin, so that would make sense! I am going to put it in the bathtub for a body soap but as a face soap, this just didn't cut the mustard. Honestly, whoever said LUSH isn't so hot on this site - unfortunately, they were right. I am finding everything I try from LUSH to be irritating.