LUSH coal face soap

3.9

Liquorice Root Decoction (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Propylene Glycol, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Rosewood Oil (Aniba rosaeordora), Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Powdered Charcoal, Sandalwood Oil (Santalum album), Glycerine, Sodium Chloride, EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, *Linalool, Perfume, Silver Edible Lustre (Potassium aluminum silicate, Titanium dioxide, Iron oxides and hydroxides)

on 10/13/2008 10:41:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

Product Claims:
1) Squeaky clean skin
2) Exfoliating
3) Oil absorber
4) Soothing and calming

Packaging:
(North America) Comes in a cheap clear plastic container. You could easily depot/bring in your own container, which is especially easy when buying your own quantity as it's weighed before wrapped.

Formula:
A bar-form cleanser which creates a minor lather. The lather is a dark grey and contains gritty bits (derived from the bar itself, so the pieces can be inconsistent in amount with different uses). It's best to cut up into small pieces instead of leaving intact as using it will cause it to get slimy over time. It has a pretty strong but (in my opinion) inoffensive fragrance to it, not completely like licorice but I'd guess that it's a combo of charcoal bits and licorice. Strong enough to linger on the skin but did not irritate/annoy me.

Performance:
Left my skin feeling very clean, and overly clean. Definitely shows up black when using but rinses away completely. i'd often be left with little pieces of grit on my face that were hard to rinse off entirely - probably best to use in the shower for easier rinsing. The grit/exfoliation was quite irritating and the cleansing ingredients were drying. The overall result was a worsening of my sebaceous filaments, worsening in irritation and dehydration, and a tight and oily sensation to the skin. Usually resulted in a fairly red face even with very gentle use.

Price:
~$13.00CAD for a 100g bar, but amounts can be customized in-store. Not a lot seems to be needed so a smaller amount could probably suffice. Not overly pricey but on the pricier end.

Verdict:
Although a promising cleanser for oilier skin, it did not work for me. It could possibly work as a once to twice a week treatment, but I'd definitely not recommend this as a daily, regular cleanser.
* Overall Rating: 2.5/5
* Price: 2/5
* Packaging Quality: 2/5
* Repurchase: No.

on 10/13/2008 9:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Coalface to the rescue! I was going thru a very bad breakout and through the process of elimination (nuts, B-vitamins, DHEA, and Lush's Angels on Bare Skin) I learned it was actually the Angels on Bareskin that exascerbated horribly a cystic acne chin breakout. After using Coalface and Fresh Farmacy for two weeks, my skin has calmed down considerably. I'm getting back a glow and now have to wait out the fading spots. I love Coalface. It's the soap for me and perfect for my very sensitive, very oily skin. I really don't need moisturizer in summer other than Aloe (I like Jasons). In winter, looks like Enzymion by Lush answers the mail. I like sooo many products by this company. I think I rubbed to vigorously with Angels on Bareskin, but I'm gunshy with that cleanser right now...

on 10/10/2008 12:00:00 PM

I bought this after discovering LUSH and looking at all the product reviews on MUA. I read the reviews and knew I had to try it.
First off, this soap cleans like no other! It takes of makeup, grease, dirt, oil.....you name it, it's gone. But on the other hand, it seemed to really over-strip my skin. I'm fairly certain that after using this for about a week, my skin became more oily. I presume it was trying to compinsate for the fact that it was being stripped of all natural oil on a daily basis. Even though I used moisturizer, I think my skin was still wayyy off balance. I might use this once in a blue moon, when I feel like I need a good deep clean or I might return it. Undecided. Wouldn't repurchase.

on 10/9/2008 12:54:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Like most people I was quite skeptical about this product, looking at it, it's a big black bar of soap, not exactly the colour you expect most of the products you put on your face to be. That being said, I LOVE using this soap. It cleans my oily, acne prone skin soooo well, it lathers up really nicely, and leaves my skin soft and clean. I don't know if it's the case with everyones Coal Soap, but one side of mine is really grainy, so if I want some extra exfoliation I use that side, but even without using that side of the soap my face feels just as smooth as when I use other exfoliators. I'm currently using this with Lush's Angels on Bare Skin, loving the Coal Soap more though. I'm not sure if it's helped with my acne, but it is a great face wash, do try it!!
UPDATE: got too lazy with a bar of soap, back to the drawing board, good product just not a fan of the packaging

on 9/29/2008 4:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This was way tooo too drying for my combination to oily skin. It really did a number on my skin which I am still trying to fix. I'm glad I just purchased $5.00 worth of it.

It does clearn well, maybe too well.

on 9/28/2008 10:51:00 AM

This is my new favorite cleanser (along with herbalism which I use in the morning). I use this at night to remove the day's makeup and I have to say that my face has never felt cleaner. This stuff really gets rid of every last bit of dirt, grease, oil, whatever. My face is literally squeaky clean after using this.

on 9/27/2008 11:46:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I bought this for my son (15, acne, the whole bit). Nothing was working - not the University acne system (same as Proactive), not Panoxyl, and not much for Oxy system. He was looking awful - he is very pale, so the redness is extremely noticeable, his face was always greasy, and the puss pimples were just gross and spreading. I was in LUSH last week, and I saw this soap. Black, yes my son would use a black soap, and I liked the description, so they gave me a generous sample. The results: WOW. My son only uses the soap now. Twice a day he washes with it. His skin is clearing up and it's day four. He says it leaves his skin a little sticky, like it is not overly dry he says, but clean as well. His skin isn't tight, it feels moisturized he said, and yet the acne is disappearing along with the redness at an amazing rate. I am so excited about this - it's not cheap soap, but he has been suffering for a year with no results from any system! This is the only thing that is working. Highly recommend to try.

UPDATE: Ok it's been about three months now. He was having a hard time with the redness and fresh breakouts that just wouldn't heal. We tried everything. We went on vacation a couple of weeks ago, and he switched to my old Lancome cleanser along with the normal regime instead of the soap which I didn't want to drag along. His skin started to clear up almost immediately. The redness started to disappear, and no new bad outbreaks. His acne was controlled. It happened very fast after stopping using this soap, Later, I was talking to an esthetician and she said that LUSH uses a lot of fagrance in some of their products and that they've been known to irritate sensitive skin, so that would make sense! I am going to put it in the bathtub for a body soap but as a face soap, this just didn't cut the mustard. Honestly, whoever said LUSH isn't so hot on this site - unfortunately, they were right. I am finding everything I try from LUSH to be irritating.

on 9/26/2008 12:32:00 PM

I bought this a few days ago. I don't like the texture, it leaves my skin way too clean ( not in the pleasant way).

on 9/11/2008 10:34:00 AM

I bought a bar of soap for about 8 dollars, which isn't too bad, but it's rather pricy for a poor college student. I bought this in hopes of finding an alternative for the Cetaphil I use. BAD IDEA! haha

Well, my friends are obsessed with LUSH products, and so I figured why not give it a try? Well, the SA was extremely friendly and amazing except that I think she was BS-ing a lot of the stuff. I told her I have extremely sensitive skin and it's prone to being dry, but breaks out once in a while and she recommended COAL FACE to me, but by the looks of the reviews it seems like if you have a dry face you should stay far far away from this product.

Anyways, I was adored by the SA's cheerfullness and I've got to say, LUSH has one of the BEST service ever! I give it an extra lippie for that.

So I used it and immediately after my face felt extremely tight and itchy! I wanted to give it the benefit of a doubt, so I tried it three more times (not at once, mind you). The second time it wasnt so bad, so I was excited, maybe this is the HG of all cleansers!

Goodness no, the third time I became extremely dry and my skin was irritated and not to mention the area around my tzone and eyes became very puffy and red and swollen and irritated.

I will be returning this product as soon as I can.

I don't recommend this for people with dry and sensitive skin like mine. =X

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Best cleanser I've ever used. Hands down. It's not overly-harsh, and it sucks all the gunk out of my pores. Summer staple.