November 22, 2014 | 1516 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - coal face soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 8/17/2008 10:58:00 PM More reviews by urbankiwiii

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Yes, this looks a bit weird when you buy it. After all, when you walk into the colorful frenzy of smells and colors of LUSH, who wants to walk towards the sad, black rectangular block? Well, it def performs well, even better than I expected. I don;t think there's any SA or Benzoyl peroxide in this, but the piece of coal def reduced my acne. It can be a bt drying, but the bar makes m face feel so squeaky clean! would def buy again

rated 4 of 5 on 8/11/2008 11:41:00 PM More reviews by jmthoreson

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love coalface. I have sensitive acne-prone skin with acne scars and coalface has worked wonderfully. When i first started to use LUSH I avoided coal face because I thought it would be too harsh and drying for my sensitive skin; but I was very wrong. I tried a sample and loved it so I went to a store and asked for $5.00 worth to try it out for a longer amount of time. I have been using this for one month and my skin looks amazing. I do not get pimples while using coal face and my post acne red marks are fading really fast. When I was just using herbalism it took about 2 months for a bad red mark to fade, now they are gone in 2 weeks for it to be gone completely. Now I use coalface at night to remove makeup (it does a great job at this, just don't get it in your eyes!) and herbalism in the morning in the shower. I stopped using coalface for about a week and the pimples came right back. So i know this is the reason my acne is better. As I said before I only bought $5.00 worth and that piece is still at about 90% after one month of use. That is super cheap for a facial cleanser.
The reason I gave this a 4 instead of 5 is because I find that it is not scrubby at all. Maybe it is my piece butI don't get any exoliation from this. The bar feels a little grainy but even when I rub the bar right on my skin none of the scrubby parts come off on my skin. I know this is the opposite of what others said but I find it to be a little too gentle. Overall this is a great product, if you are skeptical just do what i did and buy a little bit to try out. They don't have the small pieces pre cut at the store but \the sales people will cut it for you.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2008 7:26:00 AM More reviews by nobunny

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

i stepped away from this soap for a week and what happened. DJ massive breakout spun a set of hazardous intent on my summer-oily skin. it was such a relief to scour the crap out of my skin and feel the oil recede and perish and finally get some sweet exfoliatory action that you just dont get out in the middle of nowhere. i'm never letting out of my sight EVER - i got it in its little tin, and while it doesnt seem to clear up any acne considerably (except i think it helps prevent my chest/shoulder breakouts!) it certainly banishes oil before bedtime. all i know is i have a spiritual gravitation towards this product. LUSH i love you long time.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/23/2008 10:20:00 PM More reviews by neverfadetogray

I really wanted to like Coalface. The SA at the LUSH store suggested it for days when I need something stronger than Fresh Farmacy, which is what I normally use. I don't consider my skin sensitive, and she thought it'd be fine.

I had been using Fresh Farmacy morning and night followed by Tea Tree Water and Imperialis. I started using Fresh Farmacy in the morning and Coalface at night, and my skin wasn't looking quite as good, so I switched back to Fresh Farmacy morning and night. The next time I tried to reintroduce Coalface, I broke out badly and ended up with big, deep zits - not like anything I've had before - and some blackheads and zits on my cheeks, which is somewhere I have (fortunately!) rarely had any acne. This is taking me weeks to recover from. I know that sometimes using a new cleanser can bring dirt to the surface, but I can't give it any more chances. These effects are not coincidental.

I'm sticking to Fresh Farmacy.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2008 1:40:00 PM More reviews by Xdevilisious

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my second cleanser by Lush (first one was angels on bare skin).

If you want me to compare it I would say this one is alot less luxurious but also alot more effective.Angels on bare skin was also a nice cleanser but never 100% removed all my make up, this one does. After using I feel squeaky clean. (but not so squeaky as where it completely dries out my skin)

The smell is something I came to appreciate when I saw how good it was. This is a great cleanser for oily skin in my opinion.

I do recommend cutting it into smaller chunks when you use it, it will last alot longer. This also helped my neck stay clear of spots during my monthly breakout.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2008 11:07:00 PM More reviews by carolinekri

Hey Guys!
So after reading the reviews about this product I decided to try it out. It is my Second day (and I will probably keep updating on how my skin looks/feels/reacts every week) So far so good! This gets all the makeup off! seriously, and there I was using Spectro gel?! sheesh...I used lush's tea tree water for toner and no residue! and no raccoon eyes ladies! everything was gone! So its a little drying, but once I put on the tea tree water my face was matte (no more oily!) and smooth!

I'll keep you updated next week!
-Caroline

Okay so update! its been three weeks now...and my skin does not look any different. I use it only at night now, because it dries the $%^& out of my skin, so I need to apply a lot of moisturizer. I feel really clean using it tho; so I'll finish the bar and see how it goes!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/15/2008 1:48:00 PM More reviews by cheerioqueen

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Well, since I just started using this I'm not quite sure if I'll like it in the future. Overall it cleared up any back acne I might have had plus greatly reduced the blackheads on my nose. For the past five years I've had a nose full of blackheads even with pore strips, daily cleansing, exfloliating and more. It makes my oily skin dry (in a pleasant way). So far it has not helped my face acne, it made it slightly worse. I'm sure it's only because my skin isn't used to it yet. This has happened with every new cleanser I've used. 1 lipstick off for inconvenience and such.
EDIT: After using it a little longer it just broke me out. I'm using St. Ives scrub twice a week with Neutrogena grapefruit cleanser everyday now. My skin looks better than it ever has now.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2008 2:19:00 PM More reviews by misspriss_73401

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

i am absolutley in LOVE with this soap! yeah, it's a little weird washing your face with a bar of black soap that smells like licorice, but the results are FANTASTIC! my face has never felt so clean. i will admit that it is a little drying, but nothing a little moisturizer wont cure. (i find that it works really well with clinique's moisture surge) i can see how others would see it as expensive, but it lasts FOREVER and i feel that you get what you pay for. i can also see how people dont care for the packaging (or lack thereof) but if you spend the extra money (and i did) you can get a snazzy little tin to store this wonder soap in. i will continue to buy this and recommend it to everyone i know

rated 4 of 5 on 6/25/2008 10:49:00 PM More reviews by mrsroo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using Coal Face for several months now and love it love it love it! I use it morning and night on my face and on my upper body in the shower (as I tend to have minor breakouts on my shoulders every now and again, plus Coal Face is a great exfoliator!).

I find that Coal Face really helps to clear out my pores and has reduced my blackheads considerably (although you wouldn't know it from the mess Clinique's City Wear has made out of my face).Some reviewers (both here and on the LUSH site) have commented on the product's smell. I actually really like it, but it took some getting used to since I was used to nonscented cleansers. The smell reminds me a bit of cut grass. I have recommended it to numerous friends and don't see myself giving it up anytime soon!

Update: Well, I spoke too soon. After almost a year of using Coal Face exclusively, I found it too irritating on my newly pregnant skin and had to switch to Cetaphil. I don't blame the Coal Face. I had to switch my entire regimen, so it was a combo of things. But I would not recommend CF for pregnant or sensitive ladies.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2008 10:07:00 PM More reviews by rjd12

This soap has completely changed my skin for the better. Since I started using this a couple months ago, my breakouts are gone. Seriously, I used to have hormonal breakouts along my jaw line but I have not had one since this soap and I know it's from this bc I havent changed anything else in my routine. Okay, it is a little drying and it gives you that squeaky clean feeling so if your not into that, you may not like this soap. But it removes all my makeup except eye makeup but really I've never found a cleanser that removes all eye makeup. Sometimes I use a moisturizer if I feel extra dry but I have oily skin and don't like to use one unless absolutely necessary. All in all, I highly recommend this soap if you want clear skin, I never thought a cleanser by itself could clear up my skin but I was proven wrong!! BUY THIS SOAP ASAP!