September 19, 2014 | 1139 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - coal face soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 on 7/23/2008 10:20:00 PM More reviews by neverfadetogray

I really wanted to like Coalface. The SA at the LUSH store suggested it for days when I need something stronger than Fresh Farmacy, which is what I normally use. I don't consider my skin sensitive, and she thought it'd be fine.

I had been using Fresh Farmacy morning and night followed by Tea Tree Water and Imperialis. I started using Fresh Farmacy in the morning and Coalface at night, and my skin wasn't looking quite as good, so I switched back to Fresh Farmacy morning and night. The next time I tried to reintroduce Coalface, I broke out badly and ended up with big, deep zits - not like anything I've had before - and some blackheads and zits on my cheeks, which is somewhere I have (fortunately!) rarely had any acne. This is taking me weeks to recover from. I know that sometimes using a new cleanser can bring dirt to the surface, but I can't give it any more chances. These effects are not coincidental.

I'm sticking to Fresh Farmacy.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2008 1:40:00 PM More reviews by Xdevilisious

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my second cleanser by Lush (first one was angels on bare skin).

If you want me to compare it I would say this one is alot less luxurious but also alot more effective.Angels on bare skin was also a nice cleanser but never 100% removed all my make up, this one does. After using I feel squeaky clean. (but not so squeaky as where it completely dries out my skin)

The smell is something I came to appreciate when I saw how good it was. This is a great cleanser for oily skin in my opinion.

I do recommend cutting it into smaller chunks when you use it, it will last alot longer. This also helped my neck stay clear of spots during my monthly breakout.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2008 11:07:00 PM More reviews by carolinekri

Hey Guys!
So after reading the reviews about this product I decided to try it out. It is my Second day (and I will probably keep updating on how my skin looks/feels/reacts every week) So far so good! This gets all the makeup off! seriously, and there I was using Spectro gel?! sheesh...I used lush's tea tree water for toner and no residue! and no raccoon eyes ladies! everything was gone! So its a little drying, but once I put on the tea tree water my face was matte (no more oily!) and smooth!

I'll keep you updated next week!
-Caroline

Okay so update! its been three weeks now...and my skin does not look any different. I use it only at night now, because it dries the $%^& out of my skin, so I need to apply a lot of moisturizer. I feel really clean using it tho; so I'll finish the bar and see how it goes!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/15/2008 1:48:00 PM More reviews by cheerioqueen

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Well, since I just started using this I'm not quite sure if I'll like it in the future. Overall it cleared up any back acne I might have had plus greatly reduced the blackheads on my nose. For the past five years I've had a nose full of blackheads even with pore strips, daily cleansing, exfloliating and more. It makes my oily skin dry (in a pleasant way). So far it has not helped my face acne, it made it slightly worse. I'm sure it's only because my skin isn't used to it yet. This has happened with every new cleanser I've used. 1 lipstick off for inconvenience and such.
EDIT: After using it a little longer it just broke me out. I'm using St. Ives scrub twice a week with Neutrogena grapefruit cleanser everyday now. My skin looks better than it ever has now.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2008 2:19:00 PM More reviews by misspriss_73401

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

i am absolutley in LOVE with this soap! yeah, it's a little weird washing your face with a bar of black soap that smells like licorice, but the results are FANTASTIC! my face has never felt so clean. i will admit that it is a little drying, but nothing a little moisturizer wont cure. (i find that it works really well with clinique's moisture surge) i can see how others would see it as expensive, but it lasts FOREVER and i feel that you get what you pay for. i can also see how people dont care for the packaging (or lack thereof) but if you spend the extra money (and i did) you can get a snazzy little tin to store this wonder soap in. i will continue to buy this and recommend it to everyone i know

rated 4 of 5 on 6/25/2008 10:49:00 PM More reviews by mrsroo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using Coal Face for several months now and love it love it love it! I use it morning and night on my face and on my upper body in the shower (as I tend to have minor breakouts on my shoulders every now and again, plus Coal Face is a great exfoliator!).

I find that Coal Face really helps to clear out my pores and has reduced my blackheads considerably (although you wouldn't know it from the mess Clinique's City Wear has made out of my face).Some reviewers (both here and on the LUSH site) have commented on the product's smell. I actually really like it, but it took some getting used to since I was used to nonscented cleansers. The smell reminds me a bit of cut grass. I have recommended it to numerous friends and don't see myself giving it up anytime soon!

Update: Well, I spoke too soon. After almost a year of using Coal Face exclusively, I found it too irritating on my newly pregnant skin and had to switch to Cetaphil. I don't blame the Coal Face. I had to switch my entire regimen, so it was a combo of things. But I would not recommend CF for pregnant or sensitive ladies.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2008 10:07:00 PM More reviews by rjd12

This soap has completely changed my skin for the better. Since I started using this a couple months ago, my breakouts are gone. Seriously, I used to have hormonal breakouts along my jaw line but I have not had one since this soap and I know it's from this bc I havent changed anything else in my routine. Okay, it is a little drying and it gives you that squeaky clean feeling so if your not into that, you may not like this soap. But it removes all my makeup except eye makeup but really I've never found a cleanser that removes all eye makeup. Sometimes I use a moisturizer if I feel extra dry but I have oily skin and don't like to use one unless absolutely necessary. All in all, I highly recommend this soap if you want clear skin, I never thought a cleanser by itself could clear up my skin but I was proven wrong!! BUY THIS SOAP ASAP!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/11/2008 3:17:00 PM More reviews by ElectroStatus

This is a really great product for a natural one, and for the price. It lasts forever, and if I go on holiday I just cut off a little chunk to bring. I have combination to oily skin (especially in the summer) and it really just cuts the oil and dirt. I havent had a problem with it being drying, but I do always moisturize right after I cleanse anyhow. Yes, the smell and colour are odd but it works and I rarely see a blemish. Makes my face feel very clean.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2008 7:16:00 AM More reviews by sushibuns

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i am writing this for my teen girl whe use to buy Fresh farmacy but it did nothing but make her breakout more and coalface after one week she has clear skin i wish i knew about this soap when i was a teen

i also love that its not tested on animal and natural because she has sensitive skin

she use to look down when people talk to her now she is more confident about herself

i love this for me too i have very oily skin but no pimples and this helped me a lot so try or ask for a sample

you wont regret it

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2008 6:48:00 PM More reviews by kmbirkel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have mixed feelings about this product. It does make my skin feel very tight and clean, and the smell has grown on me (I kind of like it now) but it does seriously dry out my face and I have to use a TON of moisturizer to even my skin out again afterward enough so that I won't break out from excessive compensatory oil production... It does the job it sets out to do, but there are other (and cheaper!) products I like better. I'm a big fan of the Neutrogena Acne Stress Control line and Paula's Choice BHA products, if you're looking to calm breakouts. I gave Coalface three lippies, but I don't think I'd buy it again.