LUSH coal face soap

3.9

Liquorice Root Decoction (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Propylene Glycol, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Rosewood Oil (Aniba rosaeordora), Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Powdered Charcoal, Sandalwood Oil (Santalum album), Glycerine, Sodium Chloride, EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, *Linalool, Perfume, Silver Edible Lustre (Potassium aluminum silicate, Titanium dioxide, Iron oxides and hydroxides)

on 9/27/2008 11:46:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I bought this for my son (15, acne, the whole bit). Nothing was working - not the University acne system (same as Proactive), not Panoxyl, and not much for Oxy system. He was looking awful - he is very pale, so the redness is extremely noticeable, his face was always greasy, and the puss pimples were just gross and spreading. I was in LUSH last week, and I saw this soap. Black, yes my son would use a black soap, and I liked the description, so they gave me a generous sample. The results: WOW. My son only uses the soap now. Twice a day he washes with it. His skin is clearing up and it's day four. He says it leaves his skin a little sticky, like it is not overly dry he says, but clean as well. His skin isn't tight, it feels moisturized he said, and yet the acne is disappearing along with the redness at an amazing rate. I am so excited about this - it's not cheap soap, but he has been suffering for a year with no results from any system! This is the only thing that is working. Highly recommend to try.

UPDATE: Ok it's been about three months now. He was having a hard time with the redness and fresh breakouts that just wouldn't heal. We tried everything. We went on vacation a couple of weeks ago, and he switched to my old Lancome cleanser along with the normal regime instead of the soap which I didn't want to drag along. His skin started to clear up almost immediately. The redness started to disappear, and no new bad outbreaks. His acne was controlled. It happened very fast after stopping using this soap, Later, I was talking to an esthetician and she said that LUSH uses a lot of fagrance in some of their products and that they've been known to irritate sensitive skin, so that would make sense! I am going to put it in the bathtub for a body soap but as a face soap, this just didn't cut the mustard. Honestly, whoever said LUSH isn't so hot on this site - unfortunately, they were right. I am finding everything I try from LUSH to be irritating.

on 9/26/2008 12:32:00 PM

I bought this a few days ago. I don't like the texture, it leaves my skin way too clean ( not in the pleasant way).

on 9/11/2008 10:34:00 AM

I bought a bar of soap for about 8 dollars, which isn't too bad, but it's rather pricy for a poor college student. I bought this in hopes of finding an alternative for the Cetaphil I use. BAD IDEA! haha

Well, my friends are obsessed with LUSH products, and so I figured why not give it a try? Well, the SA was extremely friendly and amazing except that I think she was BS-ing a lot of the stuff. I told her I have extremely sensitive skin and it's prone to being dry, but breaks out once in a while and she recommended COAL FACE to me, but by the looks of the reviews it seems like if you have a dry face you should stay far far away from this product.

Anyways, I was adored by the SA's cheerfullness and I've got to say, LUSH has one of the BEST service ever! I give it an extra lippie for that.

So I used it and immediately after my face felt extremely tight and itchy! I wanted to give it the benefit of a doubt, so I tried it three more times (not at once, mind you). The second time it wasnt so bad, so I was excited, maybe this is the HG of all cleansers!

Goodness no, the third time I became extremely dry and my skin was irritated and not to mention the area around my tzone and eyes became very puffy and red and swollen and irritated.

I will be returning this product as soon as I can.

I don't recommend this for people with dry and sensitive skin like mine. =X

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Best cleanser I've ever used. Hands down. It's not overly-harsh, and it sucks all the gunk out of my pores. Summer staple.

on 8/26/2008 2:19:00 PM

I'm going to stop short of erecting a shrine to Cole Face, but this is IT. I have found my HG cleanser, and I will never, ever, stray. I first got this as a promo code gift-with-purchase which I applied to my first ever LUSH purchase. I'm so glad I did. I would have to say that if I had not chosen this as my gift, I probably would have decided LUSH was overrated and missed the single best thing to happen to my skin since...well ever. My actual order was Ultra-Bland which is a great product in it's own right, (I'll review it separately) but It wasn't what I was looking for at the time.

I have normal to combination skin with stress related blemishes around the chin. When I was in my teens, I had perfect skin, but I began to break out in my early twenties, so I didn't know what to do. I have tried everything from Lancome and Origins, to Mary Kay, to Oil of Olay, to Kate Sommerville, but the first time I used Cole Face, I knew I had something worth exploring. Two months later, I am a LUSH addict. We are talking full blown skin care regimen, morning and night, and I love it. I can't wait to clean my face! The results are astounding! Not only did Cole Face take care of the stress blemishes on my chin, it has taken care of those nasty cystic hormonal blemishes that used to emerge monthly. My pores have tightened back up, and my skin is glowing and healthy. In short I have the skin that I had in my teens...I'm not kidding. I almost don't recognize it.
I am currently using Cole Face with Breath of Fresh Air Toner, and Imperialis Moisturizer, daily. I mask with Mask of Magnaminty once or twice a week, and I use celestial moisturizer at night about three times a week. I don't think all of this is absolutely necessary, but it has restored my skin. If I had to pick just three products I would keep Cole Face, BOFA, and Imperialis which is my daily regime, and nothing short of a miracle.

on 8/18/2008 11:23:00 AM

I received Coal Face as a gift with purchase recently when ordering from Lush online (gotta love the return of the Retro Lush products). At first I was skeptical & thought this might be something gimmicky. It smells like arse-like hot tar with a little somethin girly thrown in. It has a rough grainy texture. But by gum, it works! It's the only product that's caused the swelling on the cystic acne along my jawline to decrease considerably. My skin feels pretty clean but not dried out after using. My first love is still MyChelle fruit enzyme cleanser but since they reformulated and took out the shea butter, I've been looking for an alternative. I don't know that I'd use Coal Face every day but it works well as a deep pore cleanser every couple of days.

on 8/17/2008 10:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Yes, this looks a bit weird when you buy it. After all, when you walk into the colorful frenzy of smells and colors of LUSH, who wants to walk towards the sad, black rectangular block? Well, it def performs well, even better than I expected. I don;t think there's any SA or Benzoyl peroxide in this, but the piece of coal def reduced my acne. It can be a bt drying, but the bar makes m face feel so squeaky clean! would def buy again

on 8/11/2008 11:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I love coalface. I have sensitive acne-prone skin with acne scars and coalface has worked wonderfully. When i first started to use LUSH I avoided coal face because I thought it would be too harsh and drying for my sensitive skin; but I was very wrong. I tried a sample and loved it so I went to a store and asked for $5.00 worth to try it out for a longer amount of time. I have been using this for one month and my skin looks amazing. I do not get pimples while using coal face and my post acne red marks are fading really fast. When I was just using herbalism it took about 2 months for a bad red mark to fade, now they are gone in 2 weeks for it to be gone completely. Now I use coalface at night to remove makeup (it does a great job at this, just don't get it in your eyes!) and herbalism in the morning in the shower. I stopped using coalface for about a week and the pimples came right back. So i know this is the reason my acne is better. As I said before I only bought $5.00 worth and that piece is still at about 90% after one month of use. That is super cheap for a facial cleanser.
The reason I gave this a 4 instead of 5 is because I find that it is not scrubby at all. Maybe it is my piece butI don't get any exoliation from this. The bar feels a little grainy but even when I rub the bar right on my skin none of the scrubby parts come off on my skin. I know this is the opposite of what others said but I find it to be a little too gentle. Overall this is a great product, if you are skeptical just do what i did and buy a little bit to try out. They don't have the small pieces pre cut at the store but \the sales people will cut it for you.

on 8/3/2008 7:26:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

i stepped away from this soap for a week and what happened. DJ massive breakout spun a set of hazardous intent on my summer-oily skin. it was such a relief to scour the crap out of my skin and feel the oil recede and perish and finally get some sweet exfoliatory action that you just dont get out in the middle of nowhere. i'm never letting out of my sight EVER - i got it in its little tin, and while it doesnt seem to clear up any acne considerably (except i think it helps prevent my chest/shoulder breakouts!) it certainly banishes oil before bedtime. all i know is i have a spiritual gravitation towards this product. LUSH i love you long time.

I really wanted to like Coalface. The SA at the LUSH store suggested it for days when I need something stronger than Fresh Farmacy, which is what I normally use. I don't consider my skin sensitive, and she thought it'd be fine.

I had been using Fresh Farmacy morning and night followed by Tea Tree Water and Imperialis. I started using Fresh Farmacy in the morning and Coalface at night, and my skin wasn't looking quite as good, so I switched back to Fresh Farmacy morning and night. The next time I tried to reintroduce Coalface, I broke out badly and ended up with big, deep zits - not like anything I've had before - and some blackheads and zits on my cheeks, which is somewhere I have (fortunately!) rarely had any acne. This is taking me weeks to recover from. I know that sometimes using a new cleanser can bring dirt to the surface, but I can't give it any more chances. These effects are not coincidental.

I'm sticking to Fresh Farmacy.