LUSH coal face soap

3.8

Liquorice Root Decoction (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Propylene Glycol, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Rosewood Oil (Aniba rosaeordora), Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Powdered Charcoal, Sandalwood Oil (Santalum album), Glycerine, Sodium Chloride, EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, *Linalool, Perfume, Silver Edible Lustre (Potassium aluminum silicate, Titanium dioxide, Iron oxides and hydroxides)

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Best cleanser I've ever used. Hands down. It's not overly-harsh, and it sucks all the gunk out of my pores. Summer staple.

on 8/26/2008 2:19:00 PM

I'm going to stop short of erecting a shrine to Cole Face, but this is IT. I have found my HG cleanser, and I will never, ever, stray. I first got this as a promo code gift-with-purchase which I applied to my first ever LUSH purchase. I'm so glad I did. I would have to say that if I had not chosen this as my gift, I probably would have decided LUSH was overrated and missed the single best thing to happen to my skin since...well ever. My actual order was Ultra-Bland which is a great product in it's own right, (I'll review it separately) but It wasn't what I was looking for at the time.

I have normal to combination skin with stress related blemishes around the chin. When I was in my teens, I had perfect skin, but I began to break out in my early twenties, so I didn't know what to do. I have tried everything from Lancome and Origins, to Mary Kay, to Oil of Olay, to Kate Sommerville, but the first time I used Cole Face, I knew I had something worth exploring. Two months later, I am a LUSH addict. We are talking full blown skin care regimen, morning and night, and I love it. I can't wait to clean my face! The results are astounding! Not only did Cole Face take care of the stress blemishes on my chin, it has taken care of those nasty cystic hormonal blemishes that used to emerge monthly. My pores have tightened back up, and my skin is glowing and healthy. In short I have the skin that I had in my teens...I'm not kidding. I almost don't recognize it.
I am currently using Cole Face with Breath of Fresh Air Toner, and Imperialis Moisturizer, daily. I mask with Mask of Magnaminty once or twice a week, and I use celestial moisturizer at night about three times a week. I don't think all of this is absolutely necessary, but it has restored my skin. If I had to pick just three products I would keep Cole Face, BOFA, and Imperialis which is my daily regime, and nothing short of a miracle.

on 8/18/2008 11:23:00 AM

I received Coal Face as a gift with purchase recently when ordering from Lush online (gotta love the return of the Retro Lush products). At first I was skeptical & thought this might be something gimmicky. It smells like arse-like hot tar with a little somethin girly thrown in. It has a rough grainy texture. But by gum, it works! It's the only product that's caused the swelling on the cystic acne along my jawline to decrease considerably. My skin feels pretty clean but not dried out after using. My first love is still MyChelle fruit enzyme cleanser but since they reformulated and took out the shea butter, I've been looking for an alternative. I don't know that I'd use Coal Face every day but it works well as a deep pore cleanser every couple of days.

on 8/17/2008 10:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Yes, this looks a bit weird when you buy it. After all, when you walk into the colorful frenzy of smells and colors of LUSH, who wants to walk towards the sad, black rectangular block? Well, it def performs well, even better than I expected. I don;t think there's any SA or Benzoyl peroxide in this, but the piece of coal def reduced my acne. It can be a bt drying, but the bar makes m face feel so squeaky clean! would def buy again

on 8/11/2008 11:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I love coalface. I have sensitive acne-prone skin with acne scars and coalface has worked wonderfully. When i first started to use LUSH I avoided coal face because I thought it would be too harsh and drying for my sensitive skin; but I was very wrong. I tried a sample and loved it so I went to a store and asked for $5.00 worth to try it out for a longer amount of time. I have been using this for one month and my skin looks amazing. I do not get pimples while using coal face and my post acne red marks are fading really fast. When I was just using herbalism it took about 2 months for a bad red mark to fade, now they are gone in 2 weeks for it to be gone completely. Now I use coalface at night to remove makeup (it does a great job at this, just don't get it in your eyes!) and herbalism in the morning in the shower. I stopped using coalface for about a week and the pimples came right back. So i know this is the reason my acne is better. As I said before I only bought $5.00 worth and that piece is still at about 90% after one month of use. That is super cheap for a facial cleanser.
The reason I gave this a 4 instead of 5 is because I find that it is not scrubby at all. Maybe it is my piece butI don't get any exoliation from this. The bar feels a little grainy but even when I rub the bar right on my skin none of the scrubby parts come off on my skin. I know this is the opposite of what others said but I find it to be a little too gentle. Overall this is a great product, if you are skeptical just do what i did and buy a little bit to try out. They don't have the small pieces pre cut at the store but \the sales people will cut it for you.

on 8/3/2008 7:26:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

i stepped away from this soap for a week and what happened. DJ massive breakout spun a set of hazardous intent on my summer-oily skin. it was such a relief to scour the crap out of my skin and feel the oil recede and perish and finally get some sweet exfoliatory action that you just dont get out in the middle of nowhere. i'm never letting out of my sight EVER - i got it in its little tin, and while it doesnt seem to clear up any acne considerably (except i think it helps prevent my chest/shoulder breakouts!) it certainly banishes oil before bedtime. all i know is i have a spiritual gravitation towards this product. LUSH i love you long time.

I really wanted to like Coalface. The SA at the LUSH store suggested it for days when I need something stronger than Fresh Farmacy, which is what I normally use. I don't consider my skin sensitive, and she thought it'd be fine.

I had been using Fresh Farmacy morning and night followed by Tea Tree Water and Imperialis. I started using Fresh Farmacy in the morning and Coalface at night, and my skin wasn't looking quite as good, so I switched back to Fresh Farmacy morning and night. The next time I tried to reintroduce Coalface, I broke out badly and ended up with big, deep zits - not like anything I've had before - and some blackheads and zits on my cheeks, which is somewhere I have (fortunately!) rarely had any acne. This is taking me weeks to recover from. I know that sometimes using a new cleanser can bring dirt to the surface, but I can't give it any more chances. These effects are not coincidental.

I'm sticking to Fresh Farmacy.

on 7/19/2008 1:40:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

This is my second cleanser by Lush (first one was angels on bare skin).

If you want me to compare it I would say this one is alot less luxurious but also alot more effective.Angels on bare skin was also a nice cleanser but never 100% removed all my make up, this one does. After using I feel squeaky clean. (but not so squeaky as where it completely dries out my skin)

The smell is something I came to appreciate when I saw how good it was. This is a great cleanser for oily skin in my opinion.

I do recommend cutting it into smaller chunks when you use it, it will last alot longer. This also helped my neck stay clear of spots during my monthly breakout.

on 7/17/2008 11:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hey Guys!
So after reading the reviews about this product I decided to try it out. It is my Second day (and I will probably keep updating on how my skin looks/feels/reacts every week) So far so good! This gets all the makeup off! seriously, and there I was using Spectro gel?! sheesh...I used lush's tea tree water for toner and no residue! and no raccoon eyes ladies! everything was gone! So its a little drying, but once I put on the tea tree water my face was matte (no more oily!) and smooth!

I'll keep you updated next week!
-Caroline

Okay so update! its been three weeks now...and my skin does not look any different. I use it only at night now, because it dries the $%^& out of my skin, so I need to apply a lot of moisturizer. I feel really clean using it tho; so I'll finish the bar and see how it goes!

on 7/15/2008 1:48:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Well, since I just started using this I'm not quite sure if I'll like it in the future. Overall it cleared up any back acne I might have had plus greatly reduced the blackheads on my nose. For the past five years I've had a nose full of blackheads even with pore strips, daily cleansing, exfloliating and more. It makes my oily skin dry (in a pleasant way). So far it has not helped my face acne, it made it slightly worse. I'm sure it's only because my skin isn't used to it yet. This has happened with every new cleanser I've used. 1 lipstick off for inconvenience and such.
EDIT: After using it a little longer it just broke me out. I'm using St. Ives scrub twice a week with Neutrogena grapefruit cleanser everyday now. My skin looks better than it ever has now.