LUSH coal face soap

3.8

Liquorice Root Decoction (Glycyrrhiza glabra) , Water (Aqua) , Rapeseed Oil (Brassica napus) , Glycerine , Coconut Oil (Cocos nucifera) , Sorbitol , Fragrance , Sodium Stearate , Sodium Hydroxide , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Sandalwood Oil (Santalum austro-caledonicum vieill and Fusanus spicatus) , Rosewood Oil (Aniba rosaeordora) , Powdered Charcoal , Sodium Chloride , EDTA , Tetrasodium Etidronate , Farnesol , Geraniol , Linalool , Silver Lustre (Potassium silicate, Titanium dioxide, Iron oxides and Iron hydroxides) .

Coalface has worked wonders for my skin. I have been using it for about a week now, and haven't had a blemish in sight. I typically have combination skin, and can get breakouts every two or three days. Coalface cleaned up what blemishes I had and has kept my skin clear.

I like the little scrubby bits and it is a wonderful color! The smell isn't great but doesn't bother me - it doesn't linger at all.

I use is only at night; twice a day would be too drying. I follow it with a good moisturizer and a drop or two of olive oil. I cut my block into slivers (about LUSH sample size) and am using them one at a time. I haven't worn down the sliver at all - it is going to last forever!

My HG cleanser!

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

no no no. i tried this for a while but it was breaking me out in cysts. i didn't realize it was the culprit because i assumed with all the great reviews here it couldn't be. i did some research, and it turns out that the soap combined with the hard water where i live can basically leave a residue in your pores. i switched to a non-soap cleanser, and saw results immediately. don't buy into the purging myth...if it's not working, it's not working.

I am so depressed because of the havoc LUSH products have wreaked on my skin. I have literally been brought to tears by looking at my face in the mirror. NEVER has my skin been so disgustingly blemished. I have gotten huge, extremely painful cyst like pimples all over my cheeks and jaw line. The most embarrassing thing is when my dear, loving boyfriend wants to touch my face, I know he loves me but Iím sure he must think my skin feels awful. I canít imagine how horrible these bumps must feel underneath his fingertips. I wish I could sue LUSH for the emotional distress this is putting me through. I hope I donít sound too dramatic but Iím sure a lot of you will sympathize with me.

I was using Herbalism at first but although it felt nice, I saw no difference; so the lady at the LUSH store recommended Coalface. It got worse almost from the first use. I know that my skin has to purge everything before it gets better but come on, itís been over 3 weeks and no improvement, it just keeps getting worse. The only good thing I can say about this is that my face feels clean after I use it. If anyone had any ideas or recommendations of what to use for my face I welcome them with open arms. Thanks.

My skin is quite oily and unfortunately Coalface, which I love the scent and feel of, just doesn't do a good job of removing the excess oil when I wash my face unless I really scrub at my skin, and that's not something you want to be doing every day. It's awkward to handle and I think if the company moulded their facial soaps into a more handleable size then that would help greatly. Also this can be quite drying to the skin so keep that in mind. This is a nice product, but I wish it would do a little more for me.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I love this soap! It visibly cleaned out my pores within 2 days, and you can tell when I go just a night without washing my face, my pores clog very easily and with other face washes, it would take at least a week to get them unclogged and normal looking again. Be careful not to apply the bar directly to your face, it scratched my skin. Also, you have to have a really good moisturizer while using this, it does dry your face out, but it's an easy fix. Try it on your body too; I use it on my upper arms. Some people complain about the smell, but I happen to like it, it smells very cleansing and medicinal. I use this once a day only. Biggest downfall; be careful where you leave it, sometimes it falls in the shower/sink without my noticing (LUSH says to "let it dry out after each use, don't put it in a closed container") and I come home to see half the bar melted away, and it's a pretty expensive for such a small piece that doesn't last that long.

PROS: Extremely deep cleansing, removes all surface oil and dirt almost instantly, nice smell, can use it on body

CONS: Pricey for such a small bar that gets used pretty quickly, and sometimes on accident.

I have been fighting with hormonal adult acne for...well forever it would seem. I have tried pretty much everything and I love this! I have been using only a short amount of time, but between this, the Tea Tree Water toner and Vanishing Cream...my face has never been so happy! Yes, it's not the best smelling soap, but it really feels so good and like it's really doing its job. It should last me quite a while so long as I keep it dry when not in use and if it continues to keep my skin clear and happy I think it could definitely hit HG status. I'll keep you posted :D

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

i recently got this Coal Face soap as part of a generous sample bag of products that the people at LUSH made for me on my first visit to the store. now before i review it, i should probably mention that i have pretty easy, normal skin that doesn't suffer from acne, over-oiliness/dryness or super sensitivity, so most things i try work fine for me without any adverse effects. because of this, i usually don't spend a lot of money on fancy cleansers because 1. less expensive ones work just as well for me and 2. i would rather splurge on a product (like serum or cream) that's going to stay on my skin for longer than 30-60 seconds and get some work done. even though i'm very happy with my current cleanser (Garnier Nutritioniste Gel Cleanser), i would still like to buy a full-size bar of this Coal Face soap. i actually really like it! although on the label it says it's recommended for combination/oily skin, it doesn't dry out or strip my normal/slighty combo skin and doesn't make it tight and uncomfortable feeling. the way i use it is pretty basic; i splash some warm water on my face, build up a lather in my hands and then massage my skin before rinsing. it leaves my face feeling squeaky clean (in a good way) and completely removes my makeup, although i don't wear a ton of hard-to-dissolve products (i don't know how well it would remove things like primer, long-wear foundation, waterproof mascara, etc.). although there are little tiny particles of coal powder embedded in the soap for exfoliating, i can't see how they would work unless you took the bar of soap and rubbed it all over your face, which i don't do. you'll probably need a separate exfoliator besides Coal Face if you're flaky, or you could always just use it with a washcloth. i've been using the chunk of soap they gave me for about a week now and there is still a good bit left (and i even used it in the shower with exfoliating gloves one night, too! it worked really well as a body soap!) so i think it's pretty affordable and would last a decent amount of time with daily use. i would definitely recommend this soap for people with any kind of skin except really dry, because it might be too stripping for skin that's already dehydrated. i plan to repurchase, and would especially do so for the summertime when you're feeling hot and sticky after a long day since this soap leaves you feeling extra clean and very refreshed. **UPDATE** i absolutely love this! i bought a regular sized chunk after finishing up my sample and have been using this just about every night before bed to wash off my makeup and deep clean my skin. it removes every speck of oil, grime, and makeup and never leaves my skin feeling tight or dries it out. i love the soft, grey lather it produces and actually look forward to using it! and i have started actually rubbing the bar gently on my face on areas where i want a little exfoliation. love it! definitely will repurchase again.

I am loving this soap. My chin acne has been put in it place.. finally.. . If you have dry skin you might want to stay away from this soap. I first use sweet japanese girl then wash it off with coalface i think that helps my skin from drying out. I wasnt expecting any change in my blackheads around my nose but they have started to shrink which was a pleasant suprise.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

Product Claims:
1) Squeaky clean skin
2) Exfoliating
3) Oil absorber
4) Soothing and calming

Packaging:
(North America) Comes in a cheap clear plastic container. You could easily depot/bring in your own container, which is especially easy when buying your own quantity as it's weighed before wrapped.

Formula:
A bar-form cleanser which creates a minor lather. The lather is a dark grey and contains gritty bits (derived from the bar itself, so the pieces can be inconsistent in amount with different uses). It's best to cut up into small pieces instead of leaving intact as using it will cause it to get slimy over time. It has a pretty strong but (in my opinion) inoffensive fragrance to it, not completely like licorice but I'd guess that it's a combo of charcoal bits and licorice. Strong enough to linger on the skin but did not irritate/annoy me.

Performance:
Left my skin feeling very clean, and overly clean. Definitely shows up black when using but rinses away completely. i'd often be left with little pieces of grit on my face that were hard to rinse off entirely - probably best to use in the shower for easier rinsing. The grit/exfoliation was quite irritating and the cleansing ingredients were drying. The overall result was a worsening of my sebaceous filaments, worsening in irritation and dehydration, and a tight and oily sensation to the skin. Usually resulted in a fairly red face even with very gentle use.

Price:
~$13.00CAD for a 100g bar, but amounts can be customized in-store. Not a lot seems to be needed so a smaller amount could probably suffice. Not overly pricey but on the pricier end.

Verdict:
Although a promising cleanser for oilier skin, it did not work for me. It could possibly work as a once to twice a week treatment, but I'd definitely not recommend this as a daily, regular cleanser.
* Overall Rating: 2.5/5
* Price: 2/5
* Packaging Quality: 2/5
* Repurchase: No.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Coalface to the rescue! I was going thru a very bad breakout and through the process of elimination (nuts, B-vitamins, DHEA, and Lush's Angels on Bare Skin) I learned it was actually the Angels on Bareskin that exascerbated horribly a cystic acne chin breakout. After using Coalface and Fresh Farmacy for two weeks, my skin has calmed down considerably. I'm getting back a glow and now have to wait out the fading spots. I love Coalface. It's the soap for me and perfect for my very sensitive, very oily skin. I really don't need moisturizer in summer other than Aloe (I like Jasons). In winter, looks like Enzymion by Lush answers the mail. I like sooo many products by this company. I think I rubbed to vigorously with Angels on Bareskin, but I'm gunshy with that cleanser right now...