April 17, 2014 | 1558 users online

Loose Powders - E.L.F. - Studio High Definition Powder

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2012 3:30:00 PM More reviews by mdon1

i have oily skin so i usually always buy a matte foundation, and i have never used a powder to set my make up. however, i decided to try the l'oreal true match foundation bt it was only after i tried it properly that i realised it made my skin too shiny and i must have got the wrong colour because it looked really orange. i had heard about the elf powder and read reviews on here, so i thought i would try it. i have to say, i love it! it is very fine and looks amazing! it does lighten the colour of my foundation, but this is good for me because it makes it look much less orange and more natural. powder can make you look overdone, but if you use this right it looks natural. i use the powder puff it comes with to pat it over my face. yes it can give a white cast but only if you cake it on and don't blend it properly. oh and i have found that it lasts most of the day, when i get home there is a tiny bit of shine but this can be solved with a quick retouch halfway through the day.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2012 10:32:00 PM More reviews by mlynde82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

WHY are E.L.F. products so inconsistent in their quality?? I love the concept of a cheap but high performance makeup brand (especially one that's animal product and cruelty free), but this brand has been so unpredictable. I have had some real duds from them, while at the same time some of my very favorite products are E.L.F. What gives?

This product is amazing. It really sets my makeup and makes it look flawless. I just use the puff it comes with (pressing it into my makeup to help it set/control shine) and then use a kabuki or all-over brush to smooth everything out. It's phenomenal and so micro-milled... very fine while still doing what you need it to do. And such an inexpensive price! If you can find it, grab a couple pots before it goes out of stock.

The one thing that would make me love it more would be the packaging. I know ELF are cost-efficient for a reason, but I would pay a couple dollars more for this powder if it had a screw-in cover for the sifter (similar to the way BareMinerals is now packaged). It wold just keep too much product from spilling out if the pot gets jostled or turned around. The puff does a pretty good job of keeping it in there, but if you put this stuff in a suitcase or overnight back and it gets banged around more than a little bit, I can see it getting messy. Just a suggestion ;) I still love it and consider it indispensable in my daily routine.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2012 10:28:00 PM More reviews by nothingreally

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I have to say that this is the best setting powder I've ever used. I haven't tried the MUFE HD powder, though, since I can't really justify spending that much on a setting powder. I think it's an acceptable price for foundation but definitely not just translucent powder. So I can't compare the two.

That being said, someone mentioned something along the lines of a bulletproof base for makeup, and I have to agree. What amazes me the most is how well it controls the oil on my face. I can go 8+ hours without my face getting shiny at all. After that I start to get a little oily but it's much better than my other powders in the past, which would be a couple of hours, give or take.

What I *love* to do with this powder, even when not wearing foundation, is to set concealer or just brush over my eyes before I put on eyeliner. I have watery eyes and oily eyelids, and normally my eyeliner and mascara would be smudging after a few hours. With this powder; I applied my makeup at 6am this morning and at 10pm right now, there is absolutely no smudging. My eyeliner/mascara has not budged. I would normally be raccoon eyed by now. I even have my contacts on and there's still no smudging.

While I agree that this can cake easily and lighten your face if you use too much, I rate this powder a 5 for just controlling oil so well, which is all I'm looking for in a powder. I don't use much because I'm afraid of a white cast, so I haven't seen anything like that in photos. If you tend to go heavy handed with setting powder, though, I recommend not using a translucent finishing powder in general.

I do want to note as well that this is the only finishing powder that does not break me out *at all*. Normally mattifying powders break me out like nothing else, but this does not have a negative effect on my skin.

For those looking for oil control and not spending a lot of $$$ for just finishing powder, I highly recommend this.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2012 6:28:00 PM More reviews by maria707r

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I seriously dont understand how someone could complain about this product especially for the price! I love the way this product works and the way it sets my makup, plus it keeps it on all day and does not allow oil build up on my T-zone. If you are looking a little on the pale side it's probably because you are putting a bit too much on, just a small amount of this goes a long way and this positive review is coming from a gal that has tried a lot of setting powders.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2012 6:25:00 PM More reviews by PeachFuzzz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Overall, this is average. I would compare it to MUFE HD translucent powder. Practically same ingredients for a whole lot cheaper. Nothing controls the oil on my skin so I feel this is a good product for those with combo skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2012 4:00:00 PM More reviews by Hautepants

Why didn't I know about this before?! I have been using MUFE HD foundation and MAC powder. I came across this on a Target binge and had seen the reviews, so I thought for $6 you can't really cry if it's not as good as
You expected. I LOVED this!!! I think the reason people are getting a white
Face from it, is they're not applying it Correctly and using too much. You only need a little and I wouldn't use the puff they give with it. I find that loose powder always applies better with a powder brush! Elf has one that is also amazing. You can also fan it off with a brush after applying so that you get all the excess off..but I didn't find that necessary with my application.
It left my skin looking so pretty and soft, and really set my foundation perfect. It's great. I love it!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2012 10:47:00 PM More reviews by IslandGirlSPN

Ive been using CG translucent medium powder for a couple of years but I was never satisfied with it the way I am with ELFs HD powder. CG has a strong perfumey scent which I dislike. ELF has no scent thank goodness. My foundations I wear tend to be just a tad darker so the whiteness of this powder offsets that and actually makes the foundation look better. There are micro sparkles in this powder but not like overkill like Revlons Aqua Colorstay powder which is a glitterbomb. ugh!! I noticed my pictures with me wearing this look great. My face looks flawless!! I had tried poking holes thru the plastic as suggested to control spillage but decided instead to simply peel up an edge,cut and expose about 12 holes. This has been working best for me. I love this powder and will repurchase. I am so glad I gave it a try!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2012 1:05:00 PM More reviews by mooshrimp

I haven't tried the MUFE version, so this is a review of the product on its own not as a dupe.

Packaging: I actually really like the packaging on this. The little box is just so leek looking sitting on my counter. It is a rectangular shape with a screw top lid. There is a sifter in it. A lot of people have commented that it's impossible to not get powder everywhere, and I could certainly see how that could happen. But if you leave the puff it comes with firmly on top of the sifter, it should hold it in place. And open it on a flat surface. The sides of this are much higher than say, an Everyday Minerals jar. I think this is LESS messy than most loose powders I have.

Product: I don't use this that often as I don't wear foundation very often. But I did put it on and my boyfriend commented that my skin looked like it had been airbrushed and was totally flawless. It created that sort of matte magazine look that seems to be the gold standard of perfect skin. I didn't take any detailed photos, but in just snapshots my face did in fact look flawless. This did not settle into fine lines the way many powders do on me. If you over apply this, I can certainly see it creating a ghostly effect in photos. As some other reviews mentioned, this doesn't seem to absorb oil as well as some powders. I have dry skin so this is not an issue for me. I primarily use this daily to set my under-eye concealer and it does that VERY well. My under-eye area always looks bright and flawless.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/9/2012 1:41:00 PM More reviews by Farinarr

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

this product is just okay in my opinion. it gives the skin a nice flawless finish once applied, but be careful not to use too much as it can give a white cast. however it cant to mac prep and prime translucent finishing powder, which keeps the face less shiny for longer, looks much more flawless when applied, doesnt leave a white cast and photographs much better. i think if youre on a budget then this powder is amazing for the price, but i wont be repurchasing :( oh and another thing the packaging is an absolute nightmare, i salute anyone who can open this without powder spilling all on the sides! its also really big and bulky so not all practical to travel with

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2012 1:31:00 PM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this one. I bought this awhile ago because, as others have written, it's been compared to the MUFE one. In the past I bought the Smashbox Photo Set Finishing powder and found that one just "okay". I haven't found a finishing powder that sets my make-up, helps it last longer, controls oil, and doesn't cause my foundation to cake. If I could find something that does all that it'd be HG for me. But sadly I don't think such a setting powder exists. This powder caused my make-up to cake like crazy. It didn't seem to "set" anything. I've been using it for months now and I thought it was causing my pimples (it isn't). Over all I don't really care for it. I don't get that silky feeling like I did with the Smashbox powder. My foundation still slips off my forehead, cheeks & nose. Oil still peaks through by mid day at latest. I wish this would work but for me it didn't.
I left my over all rating a 3 'cause I'm sure someone else could love this while I just thought it was "meh".