December 18, 2014 | 1716 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 4 of 5 on 6/24/2010 12:58:00 PM More reviews by betriix

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I used Retin-A off and on for about 12 years. This is a great product if your skin can handle it. It used to work wonders on my skin, but little by little it started wearing my skin down. I'm not sure but I believe that I may have developed rosacea because of the constant irritation. It was hard to give up completely, because if I hadn't used it in a while and started up again, I'd sometimes have a couple of weeks where my skin would look amazing. Then suddenly the irritation would set in, and it would be awful. I have a lot of major skin issues that Retin-A helped for me, so I was desperate. If you want to try this product, just make sure you're careful to notice signs of intolerance developing. This isn't the same as the irritation you'll experience in the beginning, because everyone gets that. What I'm talking about is either your skin never gets over the irritated phase, or else you are doing fine and then gradually your skin gets more and more sensitive, red all the time, thin looking, etc. If this happens, you should stop and do whatever you need to repair the skin barrier. No active ingredients, only mild cleansers and lotions, etc. After your skin heals, you might try to use it again at half dosage (say every other day), and see if that works better. Like I said, Retin-A can be really amazing, but I do believe it can be damaging over time for certain types of skin.

One derm I had said he could only use it on the upper half of his face. For many people, the jaw line, lower cheeks and around the mouth are much more sensitive. Using it only on less sensitive areas is another option.

Differen is easier to tolerate and works really well too. If your skin is sensitive I would just start with that. Unfortunately for me, I can't even tolerate that anymore.

Edit: Although I no longer use Retin-A all over my face, I have recently found that using a tiny, tiny bit under the eyes at night can really improve the surface lines in that area. Strangely, my skin can tolerate it in there and nowhere else. Even though it's thin skin, it's somehow not sensitive. Who would have guessed?

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2010 12:04:00 PM More reviews by cabogrl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Got this thru alldaychemists, price was very reasonable. I started using .1% that I got in Mexico, that was way to strong for my face. I dropped down to .05% and can tolerate it much better. I use it a couple times a week for a few hours, my face has a sort of "glow". I will continue to use this, and hopefully graduate to the.1% someday.
Got my 74 year old mother some .025% and she's loving it. Using it a few days a week, for a couple of hours.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2010 9:41:00 AM More reviews by Morganna777

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Other

Been on it for 9 Months and I love it, This and Glycolic acid has really improved my skin greatly.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2010 8:49:00 AM More reviews by nicurly

I have been using the .025 gel since Feb. 8th. I use this every other night alternating with Neostrata 15% cream. This works very well for my skin type. Even at 39, I am oily and acne-prone. I previously have used Differin XP .3% which worked well for a time but was not quite strong enough and I used Tazorac .1% for 1 year but could not deal with the constant peeling of my face. This gel fits in between the other two retinoids I have tried. My pores are smaller (b/c they are not clogged), my skin texture is more refined and my face actually looks glowy (not oily). Highly recommend! A rx from my derm is very cheap too, under $15 cdn.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2010 2:27:00 AM More reviews by coldkiwi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

LOVE this stuff. I've had severe acne since age 8, and scars all over my face.

This stuff works fast, and I see my acne marks fully lighten in about 2 weeks. It is the only thing that works on my skin. My dermatologist reccomends me use it at night, which works, but sometimes I re-apply throughout the day after I ash my face and such. This stuff is the most amazing thing that's ever happened to my face.
GET IT!

The only cons are that I have to get it through my dermatologist, and that it smells annoying, but not bad... just like nail polish and acrylic paints mixed together? LOL

Anyways, I love this stuff. Lightens my acne marks well. And it is cheaper than a chemical peel. But you have to keep up with the dosages and such. Well, you don't have to, but it's best to.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/15/2010 6:33:00 PM More reviews by Rouquine25

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I got the cream form of Retin A from my dermatologist for acne. I don't have horrible acne to begin with, but I just wanted to get completely cleared up. This wasn't the product to do that. It made my skin worse than it ever has been. Itchy, red, bumpy...just horrible. As soon as I quit using it my skin got better. I think the gel form of Retin A might be less irritating than this junk, so if your going to get Retin A, don't get the cream! It clogs your pores!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2010 11:48:00 PM More reviews by MsFernandez

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've been using 0.25 for 6 months. I started off with cream (tretinX) samples from my derm and then went on to purchase the gel from alldaychemist because I have no insurance and can't afford the regular rx. I initially started using it every day and had a horrible horrible initial break out. I mean the kind that makes you not want to leave the house or look in the mirror. Big hard deep painful under the skin pimples and red raw peeling skin. It was NOT fun. Week 2 through 6 were the worst and every single day I would sit at work and tell myself I was not going to put it on that night, but every night I went home and used it, just hoping I'd wake up the next day magically healed. So at exactly the third month (just like all the directions say!) my skin finally showed the results I'd been praying for. No more pimples, ZERO clogged pores, hyper pigmentation dramatically reduced, fine lines softened, pores smaller, Skin feels more firm, texture is greatly improved. I am SO happy and SO glad I stuck with it. I dropped down to every other day because, even after 6 months of use, I'm still pretty prone to flakiness. I can't wait to see the results as time goes on and I will definitely be using this stuff for the rest of my life!! Oh and I totally agree with the reviewer below me, MUFE F&B is AWESOME when your skin is really flakey!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2010 5:42:00 PM More reviews by ajppgh

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

LOVE Retin A!! I am 43 and look 10 years younger b/c of it. Whereas other women my age have lines and wrinkles ( some are actually pretty bad) I literally have none. I have been using this for 5 years now. I tolerate the cream so much better than micro. Minimal redness and peeling( were talking once in a blue moon and it can be only seen if I have foundation on.
I did try this in my 20;s for acne but hated it. I never let myself get past the red and peeling part. Vanity and fear of wrinkles brought me to it in my 30's and I couldn't be happier that I gave it a chance.

tip for foundation: I have found that MUFE F&B to be the best foundation while using Retin a. b/c it does not accentuate flaking at all.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2010 5:07:00 PM More reviews by widoutu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Ah ;) This is my savior !! ok. I used it for now...8 weeks and I have to say this actually works!!!!!!!!! I'm super excited right now so please excuse me for whatever I do wrong here LOL. sososo. I had acne since I was in 6th grade and I never had result like this with anything. I always had about 3-4 red acne on my face at any given time for past 8years and right now i have NOTHING. NOTHING ON MY FACE ;) I was always looking for full-coverage makeup and now all i need is sheer tinted moisturizer. Well I still have some acne marks and I still have large pores but its really remarkable considering I used it for just 8 weeks!
I have been alternating between .01% gel and .05% gel (from alldaychemist), and it is working great for me. Yes i experienced peeling and purging but they were not that bad for me. I think week 4-7 has been worst but it was endurable. I got about 5-6 small bubbly pimples each day during those weeks but in a day or two it would fade. Peeling was pretty bad in that it hurts a little and makes me look ugly with makeup on. However~~ it really does pay off ;D I never knew I was this pretty LOL I would definitely recommend it to everyone who has had acne problem. Give it a try it if you haven't!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/2/2010 1:36:00 AM More reviews by xolalala

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

Oh boy, where to start with this stuff. Let me just say I was SUPER excited to finally try this stuff out, as I've had acne for about 8 years now =[ I used the Tretinoin Gel in .025 for 3 months and my face hasn't looked this bad since 6th grade. In the beginning, my skin wasn't doing much of anything- didn't get bad, didn't get worse. Fast forward to 2 and a half months, and my skin was breaking out terribly and in places that I don't normally break out. But I was determined to stick it out the 3 months to see if anything good would happen. ....It didn't. Now I'm left with breakouts everywhere and my skin is just absolutely awful. This did nothing for my red marks or active acne. Just made everything worse. Such a waste of $67. I was so hopeful that this would work for me but alas I loathe this product.