October 1, 2014 | 1925 users online

Powder - Clinique - Almost Powder Makeup SPF 15

rated 2 of 5 on 6/20/2009 12:46:00 AM More reviews by cutelilram

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought this powder foundation because I figured it would be a nice sheer powder that would even out my skin. Well it did even out my skin but half way through the day my skin became very oily and my pores were huge, which is not typical. I think I am going to stick with Revlon's Colorstay pressed powder and toss this Clinique in the trash.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/17/2009 8:25:00 AM More reviews by bangernosh

I have normal to combination, somewhat sensitive skin. I bought this in light which matched my light warm NC 30 complexion fairly well. Coverage is light & I felt it made my skin oily as it wore throughout the day (I am not that oily). However the worst part of this product was that it broke me out in hives. At first, I didn't think this was the culprit, however when I stopped using it my skin cleared up, subsequently I tossed it in the trash. Clinique claims this is mineral enriched but it's not like other "true" mineral products because one I have never had a problem with mineral foundations and two, it may contain minerals but I am sure there are other not so natural ingredients in it. If you have sensitive skin, then I would stay far away from this product. There are much better alternatives for powder foundations out there.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2009 10:04:00 AM More reviews by moonbeam11

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought the three piece Almost Makeup set from Sephora and I love all three items. The powder makeup is perfect for midday touchups or days when I don't want to wear very much makeup. I don't care for the sponge applicator that comes with the compact, however. I prefer to use a large powder or kabuki brush, for a more even and natural looking application.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/15/2009 9:50:00 AM More reviews by SheDancesOn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

When I told the lady at the clinique booth I had dry skin, she immediately recommended this product. It's perfect for what I need. not too much coverage, but enough to give me that healthy glow. I personally do like it ( I am an 03 light ) and it matches my skintone perfectly. I buff it on with a brush and it's perfect. and it goes really well with their blush, which I bought and adore!

I really would not recommend this for oily skin. It's better suited for dry skin in my opinion.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2009 10:47:00 PM More reviews by LittleGnome

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I am oily, combo between NC30 and C3. I like that this does not oxidize or change color during the day and that it is not too orange in the color that is pretty much a perfect match for me (Light). However, I don't like the fact that the sponge does not have a separate container area underneath the compact with breathing holes, like other cheaper powder makeups (Palladio) do. If you lose the plastic tray that the sponge comes in, your sponge has to just sit on top of the powder adding facials oils and dirt to the makeup. Not good. They need to rethink the design of the compact. The coverage is less than medium, for a powder it's light to medium coverage that''s buildable, not as heavy or full coverage as MAC Studiofix or even the Palladio initially, but you can get it there. Edited: 6/09 I changed my mind, I like this more than StudioFix, Palladio or Lancome now because it really does not make me oily. I think the first few times I tried it I was using the wrong moisturizer. This stays fresh throughout the day & does not oxidize even if oil seeps through. When I blot at the end of day or midday, I have much less oil with this than the Palladio or Studiofix. I like the buildable coverage & natural look, great color for me with Light. I just wish the packaging were better.
Edited 3/2010: This is still good but it does make me oily during the day. I am back to mineral makeup. Coverage also not as good / buildable as mineral makeup.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2009 6:09:00 PM More reviews by philipsoif3

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After reading the reviews I decided to try this powder for the hot southeast Georgia summer. I LOVE it I am a woman of color and I find that makeup oxidizes and that completely changes the color. This product does not OXIDIZE it stays on throughout the day and in fact like other reviewers have stated it looks better when the natural oils on your face begin to show through. I work outside and it stands up to the heat and humidity so if you are indoors all day it will last no problem. If you have dark spots it will not conceal you will have to use a concealer but for me it evens me out and gives me a natural look. No one is perfect so if my imperfections show through I am comfortable with it. It really makes your skin show through. I apply mine with the Sonia Kashuk blending sponge and spray afterwards with a glycerin and rosewater mix to take away any potential ash. I also use the clinique pore minimizer in dark (02) over it. Try this product ladies it will not disappoint

P.S. to all the ladies that want it to cover imperfections just use a concealer.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2009 1:07:00 PM More reviews by oohollyoo

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

i have combo t-zone skin and this powder makes me so shiney and oily looking. it feels heavy and gross.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2009 2:40:00 PM More reviews by laurore44

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have gone through an entire compact of this and used it on & off for about 9 months.

I bought it in late summer last year, loved it, then hated it during winter. Now it's summer again, and I find myself using it daily. So I guess it's a good summer product, better in humidity and when you want a lighter feel on your skin.

APPLICATION: I apply this with a dry sponge wedge. I've tried using a fluffy powder brush but it didn't give me enough coverage. I haven't tried a kabuki brush, but I did try a dense bronzer brush (MAC 109). But I felt like it "polished" the finish too much and made it shiny.

The sponge application uses more product, so it doesn't last very long. But I don't see the point in using the powder unless I can get the finish I want, and a sponge gives me the best finish.

I don't use the enclosed sponge because I don't like to reuse sponges. I prefer to use a new, clean sponge every day. (I think some people think that a product is breaking them out when in fact it is their dirty applicators that are causing the breakouts.)

SUNSCREEN: This makeup has an SPF of 15 but I don't completely trust powder sunscreens so I use an SPF 25 moisturizer under it. (Clinique Super Defense for oily skin.)

MICA CONTENT: Another reviewer mentioned that it contains mica. Some people are sensitive to mica, but I didn't have any problem with it even though I usually have reactions to mineral makeup.

Someone also mentioned that it has a shimmer. I hate shimmery or light-diffusing foundations and I hate the metallic glow that you get with most mineral foundations. But I didn't find this product to be too shiny. I think this is because I apply it with a sponge instead of buffing it in with a brush. It goes on matte and gets slightly dewy after my own oil begins to break through. But I don't get that metallic shimmer as I do with other mineral makeups.

I have large pores but I didn't have any problems with this product amplifying my pores.

COVERAGE: When first applied, it looks great. It covers redness and imperfections as well as you would expect from a powder. But ...

LASTING POWER: This is the only downside. The product fades quickly and rubs off easily. I have to carry the compact with me and reapply if I want coverage throughout the day. Luckily, the compact is convenient to carry around. Unfortunately, this also means you use up the compact twice as fast.

COLOR: I've got light-medium (NC30-ish) skin and I wear the "Light" shade. As far as I can tell, the product does not oxidize. This is what I like best about it.

AS FINISHING POWDER: I tried using this as a finishing powder over liquid foundation; but as it doesn't do much to control oil, I prefer MAC Blot powder in the t-zone. For all-over finishing/setting powder, I prefer the soft finish of Clinique's Blended Face Powder (translucent loose powder).
----------------------------------
Bottom line, I like the feel of this foundation for summer. I'd prefer to have something that lasts longer, so I might try some other brands.

Another Clinique powder foundation that I've used is Perfectly Real powder foundation. I definitely prefer the Almost Powder foundation to that one.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2009 10:49:00 AM More reviews by magentagreen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I had a love-hate relationship with this foundation for a long time, almost a year now. I got a sample in a magazine, neutral-fair, and it matched my skin perfectly. I loved the effect, light, almost non-existent on the skin, but evened out my skin tone beautifly. So I bought it.
I tried applying it with a sponge it came with and, needles to say, I ended up looking cakey and heavily made up. It accentuated my pores and some flakes around my nose and mouth. I tried using some brushes I had at home, different sponges and the results were different every time I applied it. Sometimes it looked gorgeous, sometimes horrible. I just couldn't understand what was wrong. Then I bought a nice kabuki brush (the body shop one) and Clinique pore minimizing serum (it happened to be Clinique again) and remembered the rule of applying mineral powder foundation. Always apply lightly allover your face, buff properly, wait a little and than apply a second layer (or third if you need to), not heavily straight on. Doing this with my new brush and a serum, my skin looked flawless. Absolutely amazing.
I love it now. I have about 10 different foundations at home and if I had to choose only one, I think I would choose this.
UPDATE: I need to mention two more things. This powder will accentuate every little flake on your skin, so make sure you exfoliate and moisturize well. The second thing is, as I mentioned above, it will also accentuate your pores if you layer it up for a heavier coverage. Then best use with some pore-filling primer.
EDIT: This broke into 100 pieces while being carried in my bag. Just like that. I pressed it back and it's still usable, but I can't take it with me for touch ups any more. Because of that, I wont buy it again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2009 1:56:00 PM More reviews by chesmom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Like it. Got this in the Almost Makeup kit from Sephora. I don't use the enclosed sponge much but do use it with the powder brush the kit came with (which is fantastic). This is in neutral fair for me and is a NW20 match. It looks a lot darker than it goes on but imagine if I applied damp or with the sponge it may go on darker. Liking the spf coverage. Will keep it around.