August 31, 2014 | 1385 users online

Brows - Maybelline - Define-A-Brow

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2010 5:07:00 PM More reviews by oscarnabby

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I wouldn't buy this product again, and it is a shame that this is the case. I had the dark blonde color, and the finished result is very nice and natural looking. But like other reviewers, my pencil tip constantly broke off, even though I had barely twisted it up. I paid around 5 dollars for this, and was done with it in less than a month. I'll stick with my double ended Revlon brow wax thingie.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2010 1:42:00 PM More reviews by BrittaBot

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm on my second Define-a-Brow pencil in light blonde, and when it works correctly, it's great. The pencil is thin and firm, so it applies lightly, and the texture is dry, so you don't get a greasy, heavily pencilled brow.

The color is also great—a cool blonde that's not too red or gray. I also like the comb on the other end and use it to blend the color into my brows. I used to use a similar pencil from MAC, but spending that much isn't necessary.

But for some reason, my second pencil of Define-a-Brow breaks off easily while I'm using it, and I didn't have this problem with the first one. It's annoying to have the end of the product snap off and fall during application, and I never have it raised too high. Something is just wrong with the actual color stick.

I may buy this product one more time, since this stick may be a fluke, but if the next purchase ends up having the same problem, I'll probably move on to something else. Too bad. This is a great product, otherwise!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/21/2010 12:34:00 PM More reviews by amethystglow

I use this product to fill in the corners of my eyebrows and it works great! The only thing they need to change is how it applies, as someone else on here said, if you press lightly then there's little to none of the product that goes on, but when you press a bit harder to apply the product then it goes on too heavy (and looks too visible). If I apply the product and I feel it looks too harsh, then I just smudge it lightly with my finger or a makeup remover cloth (which allows versatility in a way). Overall, I like this product and would recommend.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2010 2:13:00 AM More reviews by pulidobl

This is my new HG for eyebrows. I used to have nice thick brows but with thyroid issues and age they have thinned and disappeared in spots. My HG used to be a Chanel brow pencil for 12 years but it is close to $30.00 now. I bought this in Light Brown and Medium Brown and they both look natural - not a red cast at all. Stays put all day, too and no need for a sharpener. MAC, Dior, and Anastasia have similar products but you will pay a lot more than $6.00 for them - especially Dior and Anastasia run around $28.00. I got mine at Target for less than $6.00 each.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2010 1:13:00 AM More reviews by fairlypretty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really like this product. I purchased this because I wanted to try the MAC version, but I didn't want to spend the money.This a great alternative for those that don't want to spend a lot of money for an eye brow product. I do wish I would have done a little bit more research before purchasing though because in reality the MAC version is actually cheaper for how much product you're receiving.
The Maybelline is .001 oz, and I purchased it for around 6 dollars; the MAC is .003 for 15, so you're getting 3 times the product, and you're actually paying less when you add up how many times you'll have to re-buy the Maybelline in order to get the same amount as the MAC. BUT I do think this is a great product, and I would re-purchase.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2010 2:06:00 AM More reviews by Angelbones

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used to have such a difficult time making my eyebrows look natural until I discovered this. I bought this several months ago (I think in July, but I'm not completely sure) upon reading reviews here and have used it since. This makes it easy to create defined lines but is also easily blendable and stays put all day once I set it with powder. I don't understand how some people say that they blow through these so quickly because I'm still on my first one and I use this nearly every day.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/11/2010 4:08:00 PM More reviews by ecstatice

PROS:
-easy to find a perfect color
-waxy, so it can double as a gel
-great for on the go because it has a brush
-twist top
-top is thin
-perfect amount of pigmentation, not to much so your eyebrows look fake, but not too little so your eyebrows look the same as they did
before
-self sharpening
CONS:
-not a lot of product

rated 4 of 5 on 12/10/2010 12:59:00 AM More reviews by Espiegle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I really like this pencil. It is a self-sharpening, waxy-based twist-up pencil with a small, fixed comb on one end.
I find it performs extremely well, is reasonably priced, easy to use and carry, and natural-looking. I have already repurchased.

I had never "done" my brows much before this pencil simply because I had never found a product that looked natural enough, or was convenient enough to use easily. Or "conveniently priced", haha.

I discovered Define-a-Brow on MUA, incidentally, and am very glad I did.

I like to look neat, but natural. I have fine-haired, thick-ish shaped brows, and one is perfect (yay) and one is straggly and a bit sparser (sigh) so whatever I use has to look:
a) natural on the brow itself and
b) natural in relation to the other brow, which just doesn't need much product.

I only have access to Dark Blonde and Medium Brown where I am, and I use both- dk blonde in summer, med.brown in winter- (which is essentially what my hair does) and sometimes a mix of the two.
I love that neither color pencil veers toward "orange" or "black" (on me-it'd probably go darker on darker hair) and I can see where the colors would probably adapt to lots of people/coloring, as I have weird (natural) blondish-reddish-chestnut-dark brown hair, that changes easily in different lighting or seasons (as does my skin tone)- and these always adapt to both hair and skin.

I don't know how it does it, but it makes any sparser "drawn in" parts look pretty much the same as the brow hair; The waxy texture (it's not super-waxy though, just enough) also keeps a natural-but-subtle shine on the brow, as well as keeping them lightly in place.

The self-sharpening of the twist-up means that you always have the perfect point; pointy enough to define, and round enough for a bit of softness.
(I love the self-sharpening aspect of this pencil; I hate needing sharpeners, considering that you practically need 10 different sharpeners for the varying pencil sizes and texture-types and colors- and cleaning sharpeners (I find) is a pain,so if I can avoid them, I'm happy!)

I also like the little comb, and find it convenient; I'll define my brows, then brush the product in better- it looks even more natural. It's also handy to have as an eyelash comb, in a pinch/when traveling.

As far as the amount of product, I've only gone through one pencil, but that was because I spun it up to see how much was left and realized that you can't spin it back down! So it broke...so obviously...it didn't last me that long!
Otherwise, I guess I don't use that much- probably about 5-10 tiny strokes per eyebrow, if that, so I'm not finding that I use this pencil up quickly. One lasted me all summer.

All in all, great product, great value, very convenient. Will repurchase again- would like to find other colors. (light brown). I've also used it as a quick, smudge-y eyeliner.
UPDATE: started to seem a bit harsh on my brows, and it was hard to find the right color match after awhile (I moved and my hair and skin and brows have changed color from being in the sun so much) I kept it but don't use it much any more, in favor of an Yves Rocher pencil in Blonde

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2010 10:35:00 PM More reviews by amandable

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This thing is amazing. I've been using Clinique's Superfine liner for brows for quite a long time, but got sick of buying it constantly. I fill in my brows on a daily basis, so I would go through the Clinique pencil in about a month. I don't mind buying high end make up, but if it's a product that I have to replace that frequently I like to find a more affordable option.

Enter Maybelline Define-A-Brow - my new best friend. Honestly it's just as good if not BETTER than Clinique's Superfine liner, plus it has that cute little comb. I'm very fair with dark brown, almost black hair and I bought it in Dark Brown and it matches perfectly. It comes in a bunch of colors so I'd assume that anybody would be able to find a pretty good match. I'd totally buy stock in this little pencil, if I could.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2010 12:13:00 PM More reviews by carrasco

I've always used Avon's ultra thin eyeliner as a brow pencil. They recently discontinued it and although I stocked up, I finally ran out of them. I decided to run to the drugstore and see what they had to offer and that's when I found this brow pencil. This pencil is the exact same as the previous one I used (the avon one) only less product. It's super thin and since it's a twist up it, it never needs sharpening. I bought this in light blonde since my hair is dark brown with tons of blonde highlights. I think the old pencil I used that was dark brown was a little too harsh, although I did not realize it until I started using this one. I love the waxiness and the color so much. It's like a ashy/tan taupe. The price at my Wal-greens is $6.99 but I try to purchase when they are having a bogo sale. I will definately buy this again, I used to hate the comb on the other end but now I love it for separating my lashes.