October 1, 2014 | 1793 users online

Treatments (Face) - SKII - Facial Treatment Essence

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2010 5:56:00 AM More reviews by ella343

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

The Facial Treatment Essence is the linchpin of the line, the "holy water", a cocktail of humectants arranged around Pitera, the fabled ingredient that provides the gravitational pull for this particular planetary system. The legend, if you haven't heard it, of the workers of sake factories and their exposure to the fermenting broth, supplies great charm. SK-II makes no effort to disguise the distinctively yeasty odor, a masterstroke of consumer psychology reinforced by the SAs who urge the consumer's indulgence. I can report nothing whatsoever on Pitera's efficacy as an anti-aging, sebum-balancing, texture-refining, super-brightening panacea—treatments are best reserved for problematic skin—mine simply registers it as a mild irritant. Otherwise, the Facial Treatment Essence behaves in much the same manner of other Asian "softeners", in texture akin to the western "toner" but functionally a different breed. A toner clears the skin of leftover residue, a service rendered obsolete by the double-cleansing method (an oil-based makeup remover followed by a dense foam cleanser) espoused by most Asian brands; a softener by contrast is a high concentration of moisture-binding agents, applied in surfeit, to saturate the top layers of the skin and improve the penetrative capacities of pricey treatments and moisturizers. Hence, there is a trick to manipulating the Facial Treatment Essence: I saturate strong, gauze-thin cotton tissue (an entire teaspoon is recommended), less messy than fingers alone but far less absorbent than regular pads, to pat in gently (including eyes), and layer the next product while the skin is still damp. The packaging, matte glass in counterpoint to red lettering and shiny silver metal, is almost demure.

On my skin, this is a softener-that-irritates-at-a-hefty-price. Meh.

16 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2010 8:53:00 PM More reviews by MarilynMonroeMUA

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Lovely. Gives a glowing effect under my mineral makeup. I use it under my primer, and it helps control my shine even more than the primer did alone with just Avene spring water spray as base. Now I layer the 3 and it is the best makeup effect I have achieved so far.
Thrilled. I did have a breakout after 2 wks of usage, but worth it in long run. I think it is related to the skin detoxing. Like when you do a health kick, you body clears out the toxins.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/22/2010 4:38:00 PM More reviews by kayum6

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

EDIT: 05/18/10:
So, after using this a month, I've decided to stop. It worked great for the first 2-3 weeks, but after that, my skin started to change. I started to break out in small clusters on my lower cheek area. I can only assume it's this or the SK-II toner I bought, because the only makeup I wear is blush and it doesn't go near where I'm breaking out. It's mostly just congestion. I just don't think I've got the skin for it. I have also read that it's mainly for mature skin, so I think I should have just stayed away.
-------------------------
I've only been using this for 3 days, but I have noticed a big difference. It made me break out a bit (I was expecting it) but it settles down after a little while. The minor breakout aside, it has made my overall complexion more clear and even. My skin, despite the few bumps here and there, look a lot smoother~! I've used a good bit of "luxury" skincare lines, but this is by far my favorite. I haven't had such immediate results before. I've also been using it on the back of my right hand. I'm a hairstylist and washing hair has left my hand really dry and almost wrinkly, but using this has helped moisture and smooth it out. Great stuff<3

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2010 9:23:00 AM More reviews by MissJacqui85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Beautiful for putting on under my primer- gives me a luminous 'glow from within look' like no product has ever done. Use sparingly or it makes me too bright:)- as in shiny looking, definitely more oily.
Feels lovely, soothes my skin. Could take or leave the fragrance, but disappears once absorbed.

I read about the skin breakouts people have been talking about due to the purge effect of this product- must say I am relieved. My skin was perfect the last few weeks and literally out of nowhere, superfast, high on one cheek I have 3 blemishes, with possibly a few on the other side on their way. I didn't know which product was doing this to me and was worried it was my equally expensive La Prairie Marine Biology tonic, but I have been using that much longer, and the SK II for only 2 weeks. So that explains it. If my skin clears fast and stays clear- I will report back a happy camper, as it will have been the purging effect.

Will update on whether I still love it, or now hate it!:)

UPDATE: Love it! My skin has cleared and I am getting many compliments due to my whole regime, of which SK II is now a favourite! My products are all getting along in harmony:) Highly recommended. But if you have the occasional break out, stop with this as I feel it exacerbates it. I go through stages... I will use this for maybe two, three months straight.... then not use it at all for a few months.... you can see that your skin is not accepting it as well as previously, and you also notice the obvious positive effects it has on softening any developing lines, etc. I will always use this product. It's the best, and in humid months, my sole moisturiser and makeup primer for daily use.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2010 7:58:00 PM More reviews by Adriana265

I just can't bring myself to love this. I have normal-combo skin with occasional breakouts and am sensitive. The smell is quite off putting (smells of moudly roses) and the price is just disgusting. I didn't find it to do anything beneficial for my skin...it didn't dry it out, but I didn't notice a glow or anything. I think this is so overhyped. As for the "magic anti ageing ingredient"...well, it cannot be absorbed by your skin unless injected, so essentially, you are paying big bucks for something that really isn't worth it.

I'm glad it didn't irritate my skin or break me out, but aside from that, it's pointless.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2010 3:16:00 PM More reviews by lowcarb

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I wound up giving this product a green light after using some from the store counter on my face and neck. I had just had late that afternoon, some derm treatments that involved zapping melanin clusters, red dots, and raised capillaries so I had red zap spots all over my nose and neck.

I was somewhat irritated since the SA had no samples to give away. I mean, come on..if someone is having to travel across the state to the SKII counter to try a product, seems to be reasonable to have AT LEAST ONE sample to hand out. Maybe the SA are more interested in selling the samples on eBay, if you go onto eBay, there are all sorts of SKII Treatment Essence samples there for sale.

Here in California, there are only four places to buy SKII: Beverly Hills Saks, South Coast Plaza Saks, and SF Saks and Bloomindale's SF.

So its difficult to try this stuff on to see if it works.

Anyway the SA at South Coast said they don't normally have samples on hand so I used about 1t of the counter product and walked around with it on for about 1 hour before going back to buy a bottle. :)

My skin is soft and glowing and the effect lasts without a heavy waxy feel that I get from creams.

For reference I am a MAC NC-25, swedish heritage with medium skin tone, dirty blonde with blue eyes.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2010 9:43:00 PM More reviews by lizvan1985

i was afraid to use this essence when i first got the trial kit..i've used the clear lotion(toner) n really like it but after reading lotsa reviews tat said they had a breakout due to purging effect, i was quite scared since at that time i was also having a breakout due to tretinoin..so i tried it on my forehead first for a week, if it is okay then i continue to my nose then after a week to my left cheek, right cheek n the last is my chin..i know it maybe funny, but i cant risk to have another breakout..my face is full with acne marks n active acne at that time..but after using the clear lotion n fte for about a month(fte only at e morning coz i still use tretinoin at night), my breakout is getting lesser n lesser..now my skin is way better..more glow n i can see my skin texture is more even..it also help with my oily t-zone n dry cheeks due to tretinoin..now i use fte at day n night, it's juz been for 3nights in a row, but i can see my face is getting fairer n more glowing...will definitely repurchase over n over again ;)

rated 2 of 5 on 3/27/2010 3:47:00 AM More reviews by graceyappy

I tried this product after seeing it work miraculously for a friend. It cleared up her acnes and made her skin really radient. I have oily T and dry-ish cheeks. After my 1st application, my skin was very dry and tingly. Under my regular moisturizer ( creme de la mer), skin was slightly dry. After my 2nd usage, skin started to peel. I went back to the counter and they immediately applied the vit c repair for me and advised that I change to another of their products. I guess this miracle water isnt suitable for me. But honestly, i have seen it work for many so do try it.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/25/2010 8:40:00 AM More reviews by Reika

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

After years of procrastinating, I have finally decided to give reviews for millions of the the products that I've tried. I'll start with SKII treatment essence because this is one of the very few products that I have bought over and over again. Just like the product claims, it moisturize, clarifies, brightens and soothes my skin really well. I find this product is very good for my oily but congested skin, as its not too heavy, completely oil free but does a wonderful job to keep my skin hydrated. I am using this product as toner, that's why I'm giving it 4 because it is quite expensive for a toner product! However if you don't have any major skin concerns, this product alone will be sufficient for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2010 6:37:00 AM More reviews by ayuhasida