November 26, 2014 | 1894 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - the microdelivery exfoliating wash

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2009 7:53:00 PM More reviews by tmilstein

I received this as a sample and really liked it. I'm always reluctant to try new cleansers. I break out easily and I feel like my favorites get discontinued too often. I liked the Eucerin that was in the green containers. The last year, I've been using the Noxzema. Blackhead Clearing Cleanser, but I can't find that now.
I agree with a previous reviewer that this is a good morning cleanser. I want something more like the Noxzema to take off makeup. Besides, this will irritate your eyes. But this has been making my skin glow for daytime. It's a good exfoliator, without being too harsh or drying.
Everytime I go to Sephora, I keep asking for samples of this.
Now for a new night cleanser/scrub... .

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2009 5:05:00 PM More reviews by loved

My favorite face wash. The 'diatomaceous earth' is great for a slight scrub-like exfoliation which is just enough so I can use it every day. I use it in the morning and find that it really refreshes my skin. The gentle beads smooth my skin for makeup preparation. It's gently foaming so it gets rid of the oil build-up. It doesn't remove makeup very well so people would need to use a separate remover or try Purity (not for waterproof makeup). No noticeable, bold fragrance.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2008 8:17:00 PM More reviews by joyelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

After reading all the glowing comments on this product I had high expectations. Well, I am disappointed in this. It's not that it's an awful product but it's not an amazing one either - it's just average and ordinary.

Now that it's winter, my skin is slightly dry and I've been using it twice a week for the last several weeks. My skin is also sensitive so I didn't want to overuse it. It has a gel-like consistency and the scrubbies are very fine and don't feel like they are scratching. It also forms a slight lather and doesn't have the typical Philosophy medicinal scent (I don't really detect a scent, actually). So, why wouldn't I buy this again? Because I didn't get the results that the other reviewers seemed to experience: 1) my skin feels drier afterwards, 2) my skin definitely does not feel softer, 3) my skin doesn't look or feel more polished, 4) I see no difference in my skin texture/tone

I wouldn't recommend this for dry/slightly dry complexions. Perhaps this is better suited for oilier skin tones. I am going to continue using this and will update if I see any improvements. However, for now, I am just hugely disappointed in this. Very economical - $25 for 8 oz.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2008 5:53:00 PM More reviews by tenshi18

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This stuff is awesome. If you have to constantly exfoliate and still get the 'do you exfoliate?' comments, then this is for you.

I wouldn't use it everyday but the granules feel amazing on the skin and my face always feels fresh and smooth afterwards. I splash my face with cold water and then apply my serum/moisturiser and my skin looks and feels bright, calm and youthful.

This will also last a long time and better than buying any drugstore scrub. I agree with last reviewer, a winner.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2008 9:09:00 PM More reviews by curemyson

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I do like this product, I first bought it a Sephora with the flip top and I didn't like pouring it into my hand. Anyway I ordered the huge size from QVC and it comes with a nice pump, way easier to dispense. It really is great, I apply it to my face dry then add a little water, I want to really feel the gritty texture. I love that it foams too, it's usually one or the other, this has both!! It leaves my skin soft and smooth, I use it AM & PM, in PM I use purity first just to get all of my eye makeup off, then follow with this. It's a winner.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2008 9:19:00 PM More reviews by caramelkiss19

I love the grit in this. It's not harsh, doesn't irritate and in addition with other exfoliant products this is clearing the clogged areas on my face.
It could best be described and a sand texture in a creamy frothy base...I do always follow with my purity cleanser afterward just to get off the extra dirt and grime of the day and my face doesn't overdry. I went to repurchase which for me is a big statement. I seem to move on alot rather than stick with something. I've been using this every day. In the evening I rub jojoba oil over my face to remove my makeup. I leave the oil on and apply this and gently rub all over my face and splash with lukewarm water to remove. Great stuff, a little on the expensive side but being satisfied with its performance i will continue to repurchase.
12/11- No more manual exfoliation for me, AHA is much more gentle and effective...I only scrub my feet :)

rated 1 of 5 on 10/29/2008 5:37:00 PM More reviews by cairn_chick

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have sensitive skin and this product burned my face and turned it bright red. I spent days calming it down. I tried it and I cannot recommend this product. It's gone back to the store.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2008 5:13:00 PM More reviews by tanassa02

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

But since it's only been 5 days, i'll wait a while before giving 5 stars. It's a great way to gently keep my flakies away. I use Tazorac just about every night, so i frequently have visible flaky 'dry' spots, which i find hard to keep smooth. I've been using a Clarisonic Brush, but it wasn't doing enough for me. This seems to be the ticket thus far. I've suffered no irritation, and my skin comes away feeling incredibly clean and smooth, and takes the follow up products very well. I'm sorry i didn't find it sooner. I'd love if it came in a pump style bottle. I'm actually thinking of returning my Clarisonic Brush.

UPDATE: I've used this mostly twice a day for the last 2 months, and i love it. So much so, i bought a 32oz bottle from QVC at a steal of ~$54 including shipping. I paid half that for th original 8oz at Sephora. It foams just enough, and does a great job of exfoliating without irritation. Since using it, i find my flakies much more manageable. All in all i recommend it, and believe it'd work well for most skin types. One of the great things about it is the ability to control the level of grit using more or less water. Under low water conditions, it's more on the exfoliating side, with less foam. On a wet face, with wet fingers, there's more foaming, and less of the exfoliation. I love the customization factor.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2008 4:54:00 PM More reviews by teanlu

I REALLY like this exfoliating wash. My cheeks usually become red after I use a scrub , and this scrub does not seem to aggravate my skin. I use purity to take my makeup off at night, and then wash with this in the morning.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2008 5:41:00 PM More reviews by sat4ngurl

I love this exfoliator! The beads are small and it dissolves so it gently rubs away dead skin and doesn't scratch it like some other exfoliators do. It's gentle enough to be used every day and it makes my skin feel really soft and clean after using it. I used this at night and use Purity in the morning. The price is a bit steep and the cleanser smells a little funny... but the smell doesn't stay on your face.