October 21, 2014 | 1795 users online

Pressed Powders - MAC - Mineralize Skinfinish Natural - Light

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2008 4:00:00 PM More reviews by Mudskipper

This seems to be one of those love or hate products. I'm very happy to fall on the "love" side. This is a great product for people like me who want an even skintone but *hate* liquid foundations. This skinfinish gives much more coverage than you might think from swatching it on your hand, and doesn't need the kind of buffing required by mineral foundations (which is murder on my winter-dry skin*. After I dab on concealer, I can swirl this all over my face with my regular powder/blush brush and achieve a lovely, even skintone. Very natural looking and dewy without screaming "metallic".

For reference, I'm a neutral/cool NW20 and this is one of the very few "light" powders that are actually light enough for me.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2008 9:48:00 PM More reviews by Teacakeanyone

Welp, I originally went to my MAC counter to pick up Sculpt & Shape, but my friend, who was with me, was getting antsy and I couldn't decide if I wanted that. However, I got entranced by the shiny sheen of this Mineralize compact on the stand next to S&S, so I tried it. I'm fairly certain this made me break out. After I used it, I checked the box, and sure enough it has bismuth oxychloride in it, something I had to steer away from in other mineral cosmetics I've tried. So back this goes. As for coverage the two days I had it on - one day I tried it over my makeup and the other I *only* used this. It was heavy enough to use as a light foundation. It made me appear matte-r than I thought it would. Swiped on my hand it was shiny, but I guess that must have been my hand oils or something. Matte isn't really a good look for a naturally oily-skinned person. Plus, I prefer dewy to reflect blemishes. So back this products goes, sadly. But it was fun to try and I absolutely adored the MAC compact for this - so classy and easy to use!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2008 10:39:00 AM More reviews by Eolo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is product that can give you a sheer dewy coverage, making you glow without looking like glitter (MAC Iridescent Powder, I'm talking to to you), you can achieve ALL this if you have a dry or normal skin, if you're combo/oily, it'll make you look like an oil slick.

I use it if I want to highlight my cheekbones, but that's about it.

If you're acne prone, it'll break you out as well.

I bought two because I was so excited about it, however I have a completely new one that will just sit there, forever.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2007 11:18:00 AM More reviews by antelopes

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

This powder is AMAZING. I'm now using it as my foundation, it gives a lovely glowy finish and isn't too heavy. It doesn't look caked on and the colour is near perfect. I just wish it had a mirror in the compact so it's easier to apply on the move. It's a bit expensive, but completely worth it.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/17/2007 9:56:00 AM More reviews by choklad

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I switched to this from the usual Select pressed powder. I'm usually NC/NW 15-20 (one of those ambiguous skintones... NC when I'm tanned, NW otherwise..) One thing I like about the MSNs is that it doesn't use the NC/NW system, so it's totally neutral and should suit most skintones. This color on me is actually slightly lighter than my skintone - without anything else, it makes me look very pale, so I always make sure I use a blusher or bronzer on top of it.

It also has great staying power in comparison to the pressed powders or the loose powders. Wear it on top of a slightly still moist skin after moisturizing or putting sunblock/foundation makes it last longer!

I do wish this comes with a mirror, because I carry it everywhere and use it to touch-up.

All MAC's mineralize products last for so long, this one included. I wear it almost everyday for 2 months now and it has barely been reduced. Will definitely make this my staple!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2007 4:53:00 PM More reviews by Frank_n_Beans

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this stuff! I was recently in need of replacing my old stand-by- MAC Select Sheer pressed powder in NW20. I wanted to try something new just because I was bored with always getting the same thing. I decided to try this and I am soo happy that I did. It is so light and airy and it gives a natural, flawless and glowy finish. I apply with a powder brush all over my face and use a make-up sponge to apply under my eyes and on my eye-lids. The coverage on this is very sheer but not so sheer that it does not even out my skin tone and create such a nice finish. I's say it's only really sheer in terms of feeling..I feel like I have nothing on! I've been using this after MAC Select Sheer Tint in NC15 and the two together are wonderful.

I believe the price was about $24

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2007 6:12:00 PM More reviews by Deandra

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought the Light color - I'm in NC20 in most MAC foundations and occasionally an NC15 in some formulas. I really love the pressed dome as opposed to the usual loose powder shakers which tend to be very messy to use and therefore bad for traveling. (Don't get me wrong; I do adore loose powders for the makeup table - if you're never going to take the powder outside your home they are great - nice, airy fluffy feel.) I've noticed that mineral powders tend to run a little darker than talc-based translucent powders, and for that reason it's important not to overdo them - another reason is that when you put too much on mineral powders can feel heavy. So with a gentle hand, apply a light dusting, soft like fairy dust, with a brush (never with a puff which gives out too much product) and you will have a lovely way to set your foundation. Less is more.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/16/2007 5:48:00 PM More reviews by xcoco

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It doesnt really give me any coverage. I use it to set my makeup and it makes my skin look really nice. I used to use this to touch up my makeup when my face was shiny but I learned that this powder was supposed to give a dewy look, so instead it was making my face shinier lol. I dont think im going to buy this product again since I can use my blot powder to control the shine and set my makeup at the same time.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/15/2007 2:42:00 PM More reviews by eowyn797

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

this gives me a lovely airbrushed look when i use it over my foundation or as a setting powder. i am NW15 and this suits me in all seasons. i have never used it alone, but if i had better skin, it'd be a perfect light powder for days when you don't want to wear much in the way of makeup. when i want to look really elegant, i wear this over everything and it pulls the look together and makes it look much more natural and blended! i have super sensitive skin, but this doesn't make me break out.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2007 7:07:00 AM More reviews by CrystalDreams

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff! I've had it since it came out with Avante gold, but I hadn't reviewed it till now...
While I have other foundations, this one is the one I ALWAYS reach for and works well for both day and night!!

All I need use is my make up for ever face and body foundation (keeps the concealer from getting cakey)+ full cover concealer under the eyes..., a bit of blush, emote along the jawline, emphasize highlight powder above the cheekbones and for the T-zone, some eyeliner, spritz with fix+ and my skin looks absolutely perfect!! :D

As a foundation, I actually find that MSF naturals have enough coverage for me- but my skin is pretty good with very few scars, so that might have something to do with it. I use MUFE full cover concealer to cover up a few freckles and whatever fading scars may be present underneath MSFN.

In terms of how long it lasts, this also lasts ALL DAY on me. While I tend to get a little oily on the nose during summer with this on, it's not really a huge problem for me and I get WAAYY oilier on the nose and forehead with other foundations anyway!! Note that my skin is not oily without make up on though... How oily I get with this on depends on my primer and amount and type of moisturiser I used that morning.

As for how much product you get? I have had mine since the beginning of this year, and the dome has gone all flat. I still have product left though, (I'd say maybe 30-35% of total compact is left) and I use this EVERY time I go out. Which means at least 6 days a week since I have class 5 days a week!

While this is quite pricey in Australia ($46 now), I have managed to pick mine up on ebay US or through CPs, so it hasn't been too bad!!

ETA: I burn through this stuff like there's no tomorrow lol. One compact will typically last me for 3 months or so, but I use it a LOT (every day) and it IS my foundation (use 182 kabuki or 187 then 182) so it gets a lot of use!

I AM still using this as my foundation 3.5 years from my initial review though... so I think I've found my HG!!