Sugar

Price: $

Sugar

on 4/14/2007 3:00:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

For a long time I used sea salt for a scrub, and really liked it except for one problem. I live on a ranch, and my arms and legs are nearly always sporting small cuts and scratches. Even when I thought I was cut and nick free, the salt scrub would QUICKLY let me know about the cuts I hadn't found! Ouch! Time to try the sugar, and omg it's great. No more burning where the cuts are, and what a great scrub! I mix up a batch of white cane sugar, olive oil, and a few drops of peppermint and rosemary oil (I have both growing wild here, just crush up a bunch of leaves and voila!) and leave it in a jar in the shower for nightly scrub downs. No more dry, itchy skin and the peppermint has a nice cooling effect to it.

on 4/13/2007 8:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have been using a sugar scrub on my body for years, ever since I was an impoverished teen interested in beauty and fashion. It works a treat, sloughing off all dead skin cells, especially if you use it with milk and a drop of cider vinegar. It leaves your skin supersoft. I have recently read the reviews talking about using it as a scalp treatment which I will definitely try BUT I would NEVER use anthing as abrasive as sugar on my face!

on 4/12/2007 9:22:00 PM

My friend who is in Organic Chemistry taught me to make a facial/body scrub by adding sugar & glycerol($1-2 sold at drugstore).
It's so f**king amazing. Best scrub used so far!!! make my skin amazingly soft, and improve the KP at the back of my arms!!!

on 4/11/2007 12:11:00 PM

I started using sugar as a facial scrub instead of purchasing expensive scrubs that do the exact same thing and I love it. I don't use a scrub every day, just when my skin is dull and needs a little pick me up. Sugar is cheap and easy to find (in your kitchen!) and works great on skin! My skin felt soft and looked glowy and clean after use. Just make sure you rub lightly, like with any scrub, to avoid cutting or tearing delicate skin. And also, like with any scrub, make sure you moisturize after use so your skin doesn't get dried out. Works great on lips too (and it tastes good!)....I have also found that if you add some sugar to your shampoo routine, it helps get rid of dandruff and makes your hair very shiny. Just shampoo like usual but rub the sugar into your scalp in a circular motion and then rinse out.

on 4/9/2007 9:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

i gave this a haphazard go last night and i'm in love. i just poured a handful of sugar into a bowl, mixed it with milk until it was a paste, then stirred in a teaspoon or so of honey. got in the bath, polished up, and finished off with a clay mask and a jojoba rubdown. i was positively glowing today! and i even ate a spoonful of it while letting it sit on my face for a few minutes! i'm stoked to add such a great weapon to my beauty arsenal. not to mention it makes me feel like some kind of classical period princess. milk and honey (and sugar), food for the gods!

on 3/31/2007 8:10:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I mix a tbsp of buckwheat honey (read somewhere that the darker the honey, the richer the antioxidants) with a tbsp of sugar and a pinch of milk to make it smooth for application. I gently scrub then let it sit on my face as a mask so the humectants from the honey draw in moisture. The end result is softer, smoother skin. Be careful not to be overzealous with the scrubbing.

on 3/30/2007 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

One year ago I read somewhere that sea salt is a great body scrub. I tried it and have never looked back.Yet I have never been able to use it on my decollete. I find it painful there and it leaves me with unsightly scratches, no matter how careful I am.That is when I started to experiment with the 'sugar scrub'.So effective and so cheap ! No chemicals, not tested on animals, no plastic bottle or tube...In fact it is so cheap that I make sure I use real good quality sugar, like whole cane sugar ( mine is from fair trade).It is high in minerals and trace elements, plus it is much more gentle because it is finer.Sometimes I mix it with baby cleansing milk and use it on my face, neck and decollete. I follow wih a pink clay mask and then a few drops of natural oil.I have sensitive , normal to dry skin, so I do this only about once in a fortnight ( but I scrub my body with sea salt once a week).

on 3/30/2007 11:37:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've been using sugar for ages as well. I agree that brown sugar makes for a more gentle scrub then white sugar. I use brown sugar with water for my face, sometimes I add olive oil when my skin's dehydrated (I live in Alberta, the air is super dry). On my body I usually use white sugar and olive oil (although, I've also just used plain old vegetable oil as well) twice a month or so to exfoliate and keep me soft & moisturized!

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

omg amazing it got rid of all my flaky skin and black heads on my weird combo skin

on 3/27/2007 12:31:00 PM

i adore the sugar scrub.it's cheap,affordable and can be found in every cabinet in the world.i love it when i find that the most simple and available materials can give you great results concerning beauty.
i read here that some reviewers use sugar with milk(interesting)or water,i use it with few drops of extra virgin olive oil on my face and when i'm done i take the leftovers and scrub my elbows and hands and it leaves them so soft.