Urban Decay NAKED Basics

4.4

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 10/10/2013 12:58:00 AM

AMAZING eyeshadow. I didn't know whether I should get the basics or naked 2 but ended with basics after I had a play around with my sisters naked 2. Naked 2 is great but shimmery eyeshadows don't work for me. Basics is PERFECT. You can create a lot of looks with it and it is such a silky shadow. I had to pay 15 dollars to get it shipped to Australia from sephora (through tarazz) but this is something I will buy again and again and again.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I received the Urban Decay Naked Basics palette for my birthday last month. I had been eyeing it since the summer but never wanted to pay $27 for such a small palette. But after getting it, it has become my best friend! I use these eyeshadows on a daily bases and I find myself always grabbing for it. This is perfect for travel with it's small compact size and the full mirror feature. You could stash this in your purse or any travel bag and know that it will not spill out all over your bag!
You get 6 matte shades: Venus, Foxy, Walk of Shame (W.O.S), Naked 2, Faint & Crave.
All perfect for any occasion or season! Urban Decay really has wowed me with great eyeshadows!

So if you are decided between buying or passing. Buy it! It's a wonderful product.

on 10/7/2013 9:50:00 AM

Love this palette! These colors are all matte except for Venus (a shimmer white) so they are extremely wearable. This palette is also great to start a brighter look. This is a must have in my makeup bag.

This is a really nice nice palette for beginners (like me). The saleslady at Sephora recommended this to me in lieu of the Naked 2 palette, which I was also considering. I'm so glad she did!
The colors are beautiful, and I think they last pretty long. Crave, a matte black, is a bit tricky to use because I am so fair, so I think I'll be reserve it as a liner.
The packaging, which is attractive and durable, is a little tricky to open. But I love the mirror inside the lid! It's perfect for traveling.
I find that my EcoTools flat eyeshadow brush picks up a lot of product, so I might use a fluffier brush for the darker colors.

All in all, a great product!!!! A little pricey, but I think I'd re-purchase.

on 9/30/2013 3:16:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was so sure this would be the ideal little helper palette, full of subtle highlights and transition shades. And it kind of is. I do use this, particularly Walk of Shame and Naked2 as base colours in looks and the like.

The two darkest colours have really good pigmentation and the darkest one, Crave, is kind of unique in that it's a brown based black rather than a standard black. But I just find the texture and pigmentation of the other shades a bit meh. I own the UD smoked palette and the mattes in that are gorgeous, probably the best textured matte shades I've ever used. These are different, I find the lighter shades apply a bit patchy, don't always blend fabulously with other eyeshadows and can highlight dry patches I didn't even know I had (and that don't appear when I use other eyeshadows). I've found these don't play nice with my favourite primer (Too Faced Shadow Insurance) but they're okay with other primers, on TFSI they 'stick' no matter how long I've allowed the primer to dry.

I haven't used Venus much, I'd prefer if it was a bit less shimmery and more of a satin, but UD apparently couldn't contain themselves in an otherwise matte palette. The quality of it is fine, however. Foxy is okay, reads a tiny bit jaundiced on me sometimes but it can blend out to nothing. W.O.S. is a base shade on me or an 'invisible' highlight, because it just disappears into my skin tone and blends out to nothing. Naked2 I've actually used as a rather goth looking shade right up to my brow bone, it is dark enough that it makes my skin look paler, and is kind of cool used like that. I haven't used the other two a lot, even though they're the best pigmented shades, I might use them more when I'm back in an office job and more conservative makeup is a must.

I accept that UD was covering their bases by including four similar highlight shades, because each person is going to have one that best fits their skin tone (unless you find, like me, that two disappear and one is too dark, and the last is shimmer). It just feels a bit meh to me overall. These aren't a good as the mattes in Smoked (which is a better bet if you're thinking of getting both or something, there's a lot of overlap) and they also have a weird smell which I've never experienced from UD before. I don't hate this palette or regret buying it, and maybe I'll someday get more use out of it, but I don't consider it a brilliant palette and I wouldn't purchase again. Next time I'll probably just pick a matte and satin highlight from MAC or Inglot and use them instead.

on 9/25/2013 6:52:00 PM

Why did I buy this? I guess I was having a crisis of age and thought that shadows with shimmer were making me look older. So I got it in my head that a palette of nude mattes was a good thing. In theory I guess it would be. But the reality is that most of these shades are crazy-pale - and the other two are crazy dark. Only one is a medium shade. The light colours are too light and make me look ill.

It's an adorable palette, nice packaging, and the shadows are good quality, but I just don't feel that this investment is paying off, as I don't use this often and even when I do, I feel uninspired by it.

I recently just got this product as a present for my birthday and I absolutely love it! I've only used it a couple of times on myself and other friends and I'm in love with it already. Its perfect to throw in your bag to top up during the day or just throw it in your bag in the morning if your running late and you can apply the eyeshadow on the train, car, etc. it's a lot better than bringing your big naked/naked 2 palette around with you during the day. It has beautiful colours for everyday and there very easy to apply. I love how the packaging isn't bulky or heavy so you can carry it around with you. I'm in love with this product and I would totally recommend it.

Love this! Perfect for taking with you in your purse, so many looks to do with this.! Love love love

on 9/20/2013 6:59:00 PM

I wanted the Naked 1 & 2 pallets but I couldn't justify spending that money on me when I have a baby. When this was released I kept debating it and finally decided that this one was doable. And finally pulled the trigger. Glad I finally did!! This pallet is amazing and totally worth the money. The colors are matte, except for one shimmer. Color pay off is good without a primer, but I find the colors blend together better with one. Colors are definitely wearable! And I love this pallet! My go-to everyday!

on 9/16/2013 9:49:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

This is my most used palette. The shades are so wearable. Even if I'm wearing brighter colors, I still use the first and third shade everyday as a highlight on the tear duct and brow bone, respectively. The two taupe/brown shades are great for contouring and in the crease. And the flat black is perfect for a smoky eye. Yes, you could probably dupe these shades, but the quality is superb, the packaging is great, and overall, this is an excellent basic palette. I own hundreds of shadows and am always reaching for this. The staying power on these, as all UD shadows, is great. I would repurchase if I ever lost this or used it up. Basic as these shadows are, you can use them for tons of different looks, from dramatic to barely-there, and also used as the foundation for more complicated eye looks.

Popular Palettes

Contour Kit
Contour Kit
NAKED
NAKED
The Nudes
The Nudes

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Simple Daily Makeup Tutorial (Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette) by Anna Boroshok

Top Rated Urban Decay Products