NARS Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base

Isododecane Talc Cyclopentasiloxane Disteardimonium Hectorite Vp/Eicosene Copolymer Dimethicone Cetyl Ethylhexanoate Cyclohexasiloxane Sorbitan Sesquioleate Trimethylsiloxysilicate Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride Propylene Carbonate Peg-40 Stearate Sorbitan Olivate Tocopheryl Acetate Cera Alba (Beeswax) Phenoxyethanol Diethylhexyl Syringylidenemalonate Oryza Sativa [Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil Extract] Triethoxycaprylylsilane Castor Oil Phosphate Sea Whip Extract Mica Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide) Ci 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride).

on 5/27/2012 7:12:00 PM

I am SO angry about this primer. It's absolutely perfect. The silky texture, the doe-foot applicator, the fact that it intensifies any color and keeps every single shadow locked in place for hours all make it HG worthy. I was thrilled to give $24 in exchange for a powerful, easy-to-use product, no questions asked. It deserves 5 stars, and had I written this review weeks ago, it would have received all 5.

Two weeks later, I have milia all over my eyelids as a result of using this daily. I'm livid because everything I'm reading online says you must have your doctor removed the larger cysts for you, or else you risk damaging the skin, or worse, even your eyes. I have one little cyst amongst all the tiny dots and it's pretty noticeable, with or without eyeshadow. So now I have to pay to have it removed. I'm so mad.

For the record, Too Faced Shadow Insurance has many of the same ingredients (especially the first 4 or 5) and a similar incident happened to me. Except this time, the milia is worse.

I'm now going to turn to MAC Paint Pots, as I can't trust any other eyelid primer on the market (UDPP, Bare Escentuals Prime Time, etc were all disappointing. Didn't cause milia, but didn't do the job either.)

If you have sensitive skin at all, avoid this at all costs. Someone on MUA warned me when I first bought this that she's allergic to one of the sea plant ingredients in it, and I took my chances. Now I wish I'd listened. Please don't make the same mistake if you have skin issues or a history of allergies.

on 5/16/2012 12:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I. Love. This. Primer.
It really really really works.
I have oily eyelids, and live in humid North Carolina. Whee! makes for a great recipe for having your eye makeup go ballistic on you. I used to use UD and then tried Twofaced and others but I must say this is hands down the best eye primer I have used. its light, its not drying, and its like a little lotion that is white on application and disappears into a noncolored layer. Then any eyeshadow I put on can stay on for as long as I want. In fact once I slept in my makeup (I know, bad bad!) and the next morning there wasnt even any eyeshadow on my pillowcase it was all there exactly how I had applied it. Amazing. Absolutely amazing. I LOVE IT WHEN THINGS DO WHAT THEYRE SUPPOSED TO! Isnt it a great feeling??
I also love the tube. Unlike the UDPP which became so dry that I had to toss it out after about a month, this has remained moist. I dont know what the formula is and what theyre putting in here but whatever it is its fantastic at keeping it moist and applicable. Ive had it for three months now and cannot imagine buying a different primer. I dont even have the desire to look around anymore (I love it when I reach that level of intimacy with my makeup products haha). Its slim and fits easily in my makeup bag. Totally affordable. So much better than any other primer Ive ever tried. SO WORTH IT! Try it I promise you wont be disappointed!!

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

This works! Keeps your shadow on all day. I like that it is almost transparent (the product is white but the colour is gone completely when you put it on), thereby not affecting the colour of your eyeshadow. It is not tacky either, so it doesn't affect the application of your shadow. However, I dislike the packaging. I don't like the doefoot applicator, I would rather it was in a squeeze tube. I haven't finished my tube of this yet, and I am already wondering how I am going to get to all the little bits left inside at the end. All in all, this is a close second to my all time favourite eye primer, the one by Bare Escentuals.

on 5/5/2012 7:06:00 PM

Over the course of the day, my eyelids tend to get greasy even if I'm not wearing eye make up. The last few years have seen me seek out every possible solution to this problem from layering on different eyeshadows, MAC paint pots and paints, YSL touche eclat - anything going I tried. And finally I heard about this. I'm always a little sceptical about NARS - I've been talked into a lot of things that just haven't worked past that first MUA application in-store like 'orgasm' blusher and the eyeshadows with high glitter content and significant fall out. But this has really worked. Recently used it with my new NAKED palette and I'd venture so far as to say it works better than the UD primer only because I didn't see the colour fade over the course of the day like I did with UDPP. Definitely no creasing, although my lids felt a little dry and I also found that correcting little mistakes especially with darker eyeshadows over this primer was difficult - it was difficult to smudge out sharp corners once I'd shaded in the V and tried to buff out the shape a little so it didn't look so backstage theatre and more suitable for work. It took a face wipe and some good old elbow grease to rub a little off leaving me a little red eyed. At least it proves that it's definitely a keeper!

The packaging is a little unhygienic - I'd prefer a little tube to squeeze product out of especially seeing as you have to blend it in with your fingers anyway. I agree different tones for skin colour correction would be useful.

I would buy it again seeing as it's the only thing I've seen keep eyeshadow on me for more than 12 hours with creasing and minimal fade. Maybe I'll even gain confidence not to carry the eyeshadows I've used with me around for the day!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

Product's Claims - True or False?
1) Lightweight: True
2) Shadow looks brilliant, fresh, just-applied: True
3) No smudging, creasing, or caking: True

Comes in a small cardboard box, which is only beneficial for its listing of ingredients. The product is held in a mascara-like tube made of a slight rubberized plastic. It's fairly hard so you cannot squeeze out any product from it but it feels like it'd be easy enough to decant. It has a small doe-foot applicator that spreads product easily across the lids. The wand handle is the same height as the rest of the tube, which makes it comfortable to hold while applying the primer. The applicator picks up a small amount of product which makes it easy to not waste any product, while there's a noticeable suction as the wand is removed - I assume this is to help keep the formula more intact over time. There's a small plastic dot on the top of the handle that makes it a bit hard to stand upside down on a table if you need to get product closer to the opening.

It has a silicone texture, similar to the Smashbox Photo Finish Light face primer. It comes out white but goes on clear, meaning it will not even out your skin tone. My eyes are discoloured, so this is a negative for me as it makes shadow look less blended against the red of my skin. I do not experience any issues with not knowing where it has been applied; its slip makes it easy to tell where it is being spread. A small sweep over my eye allows me to spread the primer up to my brow and onto my undereye area. It creates a temporary sheen as well. I didn't notice any stickiness and it dried down relatively quickly. The product is fragrance-free, making it a good choice for sensitive eyes

I've experienced no issues in wear with NARS. It holds up to all of its claims in wear. I've worn it over-night and my shadow looked like I had just applied it. It also seemed to provide better wear for my mascara in that my lashes held their natural curl better due to the lack of added weight I'd normally get from UDPP. My lids are prone to eczema patches and general crepeyness, but existing dryness wasn't emphasized. It seemed to cause a bit of an issue with blending if it was not let to dry long enough. Despite being tailored to sensitive skin the product did irritate my skin. Part of the reason was because I was applying and reapplying makeup very often within two days, which left my skin raw and I began developing some eczema issues. But when I applied my old UDPP onto the area the irritation did not worsen, whereas the NARS one would cause irritation to worsen. I suspect that its sea whip ingredient was my culprit as my skin is quite sensitive to plant and sea extracts/ingredients. If you are not sensitive to such ingredients then I doubt you'd experience irritation. Otherwise it performed great. Only a SMALL amount is needed to keep the makeup on. It performed almost identically to UDPP except that it went on a bit more smoothly and evenly. Colour is picked up very well and looks very true to colour, although I would say that shadows looked a bit brighter with UDPP. Removal of the makeup while using this primer is much easier for me than with UDPP as well. Unfortunately due to my reaction to the product I was unable to give it a thoroughly long test under numerous conditions.

Bang for Your Buck:
The primer cost me just over $30CAD for 0.28oz. Urban Decay, Too Faced, and LORAC all have primers for less money and with more product, and have similar ratings. My UDPP would consistently last close to a year without decanting before I'd repurchase, so perhaps the primer would last a relatively long time as only a small amount is needed and it's unlikely that it's formula would change in the way UDPP does.

Final Thoughts:
Overall I was quite happy with the primer's results, but it was simply too likely to cause irritation for my skin. If tinted primers seem to affect the look of your makeup in a way you dislike or you do not need to even out your skin tone, then I'd recommend you give this a try, but there are also other primers that provide similar results at a better price.
* Overall Rating: 4/5
* Price: 4/5
* Packaging Quality: 3/5
* Repurchase: No.

on 5/1/2012 10:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

The best Eye primer for oily lids. A little goes a Long way. Packaging could be better.

on 4/28/2012 8:22:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

This is the best primer I have tried! I have oily lids, and other primers (from Urban Decay, Too Faced, Benefit) have creased after 3-4 hours on me, but the Nars lasts ALL day! So excited to finally come home after an 8 hour day and my eyeshadow looks as good as when first applied.

on 4/25/2012 6:34:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I have never been able to wear eyeshadow that didn't dissolve from my oily eyelids within a couple of hours but now that's not the case. My eye makeup stays on all day- eight hours without even fading slightly. The product is easy to apply, dries quickly and causes no irritation. I have not tried the Urban Decay eye primer so I have nothing to compare this to but I am delighted with it and will buy it again as soon as it runs out.

on 4/24/2012 9:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

This eye primer works for me, and considering the failure of several other brands, that's quite something. Although I have oily skin, I never considered my lids particularly oily until I started wearing shadow regularly. But Urban Decay Primer Potion left me with creased shadow, Lorac Behind the Scenes was worse, and NYX Eyeshadow Base (the one in pots) was worst of all. I got passable coverage by putting MAC's Painterly paint pot over UDPP, but that left me with a lot of product on my lids before I even added shadow. I finally tried NARS, and it works perfectly. Not even a hint of creasing, even after 12 hours of wearing pretty pigmented shadows. And it's the lightest primer in terms of weight that I've tried--I never feel that I've added any product to my skin. I've been using it for over a month.

I do have some gripes about it. The hard tube (like mascara) prevents you from squeezing it, so I know I'll be losing a lot of product when the amount gets low. And it's needlessly expensive. Finally, although the product is white when you take it out of the tube, it turns colorless on your skin, making it difficult to know where you put it and where you didn't. But it does what it says, and that's what counts.

on 4/17/2012 2:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

The first primer I used was UDPP. I loved everything about it, except the packaging. The wand pulled out a ton of product and you couldn't get everything out in the end. Since then, I've used TFSI. It's easier to store, you can get every bit out, and control what comes out. However, there is the issue of separating.
Enter NARS primer. The consistency of this is more tacky than creamy. It is colorless. It takes a lot more product to cover the space than the other primers I've used. It also takes a lot longer to dry. It's hard to blend over sometimes, no matter how much I use or how long I wait for it to dry. My eyeshadows did stay on pretty well, but sometimes I noticed they were muddy-ed together rather than staying where I put them. The shape of the bottle is good, but I'm still not a fan of the wand delivery system. I have to dip and apply at least twice on each eye to get the right amount to cover. The opposite problem that I had with UDPP. There is less in this tube, it costs more, and I have to use more. So I'll stick with my TFSI since it works.

Top Rated NARS Products