August 2, 2014 | 1635 users online

Treatments - OPI - Nail Envy - Original

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2006 10:06:00 AM More reviews by modern_classic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

As far as strengtheners go, this one is definitely worth the time. Usually I keep my nails short to save time but when I want to grow them out for special occasions I reach for this. Thanks to Nail Envy I had beautiful natural fingernails for my wedding, not acrylics.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2006 1:58:00 PM More reviews by TexasCowgirl06

I bought this product on sale at Trade Secret, so I didn't have to pay $15.00 for it. The pros are this stuff helps my polish stay on longer and that it doesn't turn a weird color. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if this strengthener really does its job. I have terrible fingernails that break off easily and peel. I'm still having these problems, so I may try acrylics soon. I will probably not buy this again.
UPDATE: This stuff is becoming one of my HG products! I use it every other day and my manicures now last for a week with no chipping! Also, I notice my nails are growing faster and they don't split anymore. I will definitely buy again, but probably when it's on sale.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/27/2006 10:28:00 PM More reviews by nyomya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

I had Nail Envy Dry & Brittle before I tried Original Nail Envy, which I got from Ulta's clearance bin with half price and small lotion. I like Original (matte finish) with pro brush better. Anyway, I have both so I use D&B as top coat. I use Original Nail Envy as base coat and OPI polish in the middle. All of them are single coat (3 layers altogether). My pretty nails with super shine and smooth last about 10 days without drying, peeling, chipping, etc. I can't keep more than 10 days as my nails keep growing so have to remove them all. A bottle seems to last years.

I will purchase Original Nail Envy but if I can find bargain for D&B, I'll also pruchase to use as top coat. OPI Nail Envy costs about $15 but Ulta often has free stuff attached. Check their weekly coupons for discount. If you're in DC, check Bed, Bath & Bebyond in downtown. They have discounted OPI and NE costs about $10. Anyway, I think $15 is OK for me as I have healthy and pretty nails with Nail Envy.

I buffed my nails with OPI smoother and waited about 30 min. after washing so my nails are completely clean and dry before applying OPI. I also patiently waited between coats. That's why they last very long. I did mine during TV commercials so every commercial break, I painted each layer without interrupting my fav. shows :)

rated 4 of 5 on 11/27/2006 4:17:00 AM More reviews by Happy_go_lucky

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I think the original formulation of nail envy is great (I haven't used the other formulations). I always use nail envy as a base coat (I trialed heaps of base coats, Natural Base, Creative Stickey, Orly bonder) and have found this one works the best. I know that scientifically that nail strengthens don't work because the nail is dead, but I have noticed a definite increase in the strength of my nails. For people who are trying to grow or strengthen their girls (I use to be a chronic nail biter) I would highly recommend this along with a nail buffer. The buffer 'bonds' the layers of your nail bed together and I can guarantee you will see an improvement in the strength and a reduction in peeling.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2006 6:33:00 PM More reviews by ekym

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is a good base coat for my fingernails. It dries very quickly and has a subtle shine, so on days when Iím too busy or lazy (or both), I will just swipe on a coat and my nails look clean and smooth. It clings to the nail (as a single coat) and last a long time, any chips are invisible, because there is no added color. As a base coat for an actual color, I make sure to run the brush on the tip and on the underside of the nail. I donít get chips until I do something stupid, like pry open a jar with my fingernail. It doesnít fill ridges too well, so Iím searching for something else for my toenails, but itís a keeper for my fingernails.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2006 11:45:00 AM More reviews by gingerc

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

After years of having horrible nails (thin, weak, wouldn't grow) this is the ONLY thing that saved my nails. I love Nail Envy. A bottle lasts a long time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2006 4:03:00 PM More reviews by JanM

Nail Envy works on my slow growing, peeling and generally stressed nails. I first started using it about 6yrs ago and had such good results that people would mistake my long strong nails for false nails - I had to cut them they were that long. However you can have too much of a good thing, I loved NE soooo much that I used it every single day, and that was my downfall, about 2yrs ago it just stopped working on my nails and peeled off within 12hrs of application, and that was it, no more long nails. I've recently started using OPI Chip + Skip and that has stopped the peeling, I apply it as directed (ie 2 coats, then a coat every other day for a week, take it off and start again), take care of my cuticles and voila after 3 weeks long strong nails. This works for me but take care with over use. BTW the pro-wide brush is fantastic.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2006 3:14:00 PM More reviews by whataworld

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love the MATTE Envy. Matte nails are so cool, definately a change of pace from the glossy talons everyone else has.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2006 3:16:00 AM More reviews by nora76

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Nail Envy is expensive, but it lasts a long time, even with regular use. I have very short and brittle nails that have been prone to peeling and breakage for as long as I can remember. My sister received Nail Envy as part of a gift, and since she rarely paints her nails, she passed it on to me. I'd never used it before, and was really startled at how well it worked. It really does a nice job of protecting my nails and giving them a chance to grow without splitting or breaking. I always do color on my toes, but for my fingers (which are stubby little things), I tend to go clear -- so I just put on two coats of Nail Envy and I'm good to go!

One important thing: when buying, I recommend sticking to "Original Formula." I recently purchased the "Dry and Brittle" formula and for some reason it doesn't work as well as the original (the coating is thinner and runnier; my nails don't seem as well-protected).

And I agree, this stuff dries super-fast. You can scratch your head like a monkey a minute after doing your nails and you won't see a smudge. ;)

Anyway, bottom line -- great as a base coat or worn alone, and especially wonderful for nails that aren't very strong and/or don't grow well. Just make sure to stick with "Original Formula"! :) continued >>

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2006 1:51:00 AM More reviews by fawxy

wow, on sale at ulta for like $5. this stuff dries in about 5 seconds (LITERALLY. i'm NOOOT eaguratig. also, it lasts forever. love it