April 16, 2014 | 912 users online

Treatments - OPI - Nail Envy - Original

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2006 3:14:00 PM More reviews by whataworld

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love the MATTE Envy. Matte nails are so cool, definately a change of pace from the glossy talons everyone else has.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2006 3:16:00 AM More reviews by nora76

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Nail Envy is expensive, but it lasts a long time, even with regular use. I have very short and brittle nails that have been prone to peeling and breakage for as long as I can remember. My sister received Nail Envy as part of a gift, and since she rarely paints her nails, she passed it on to me. I'd never used it before, and was really startled at how well it worked. It really does a nice job of protecting my nails and giving them a chance to grow without splitting or breaking. I always do color on my toes, but for my fingers (which are stubby little things), I tend to go clear -- so I just put on two coats of Nail Envy and I'm good to go!

One important thing: when buying, I recommend sticking to "Original Formula." I recently purchased the "Dry and Brittle" formula and for some reason it doesn't work as well as the original (the coating is thinner and runnier; my nails don't seem as well-protected).

And I agree, this stuff dries super-fast. You can scratch your head like a monkey a minute after doing your nails and you won't see a smudge. ;)

Anyway, bottom line -- great as a base coat or worn alone, and especially wonderful for nails that aren't very strong and/or don't grow well. Just make sure to stick with "Original Formula"! :) continued >>

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2006 1:51:00 AM More reviews by fawxy

wow, on sale at ulta for like $5. this stuff dries in about 5 seconds (LITERALLY. i'm NOOOT eaguratig. also, it lasts forever. love it

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2006 5:00:00 PM More reviews by orisha_girl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

My nails have always been soft and dry, flaky and peeling, and too weak to grow much past the nail-bed. I decided to try to sort 'em out, and I started with dietry supplements (Kelp and Calcium) and oil treatments and saw a slight improvement, but not enough. I tried Nail Envy after seeing it on TV, but I wasn't expecting much - I'm cynical about so-called "miracle" products. But after three weeks of use, my nails feel harder and generally look a lot healthier, with no peeling or flaking at all. They're also growing faster - they are now past my fingertips, for the first time in my life. Amazingly, I've noticed that when I apply Nail Envy every other day as instructed, there is a visible gap between my cuticle and the bottom of the previous layers of polish where the nail has grown, in the space of a day or two. Can't recommend enough! (Can also be had for a bargain price on Ebay.) UPDATE: I had a bit of a problem with this product drying my nails out. I sorted this out by a weekly buffing with oil before applying the nail envy and switching to non-acetone remover - hey presto, glossy, shiny nails that never feel dry.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/7/2006 10:06:00 AM More reviews by laurseyp

I really wanted to like this stuff. I love that it's shiny and it dries quickly, but I feel like since I've been using it, my nails are even softer and thinner. I feel that they break easier, too, and I don't like that after a day or two, it starts to peel off (the Nail Envy, not my nails, lol). So, I'll go back to my clear Sally Hansen which is just as shiny and makes my nails at least feel harder.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/29/2006 10:54:00 AM More reviews by marleypup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Violet

Hmm. This does what it says--I actually have to clip my nails. It's also very very shine and glossy and lasts quite awhile. However: It's very expensive (around 15 bucks..) and the smell is quite strong. Definitely has formaldehyde. Also, it flakes off and turns an odd colour after a few days. It's a toss-up...I like it a lot for what it does, but is it really worth the price, the smell, and the yellowyness?

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2006 10:29:00 PM More reviews by copperbat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Great product. I was surprised and delighted to find that OPI is unlike every other brand of nail polish I've used. I have thin, weak nails which are prone to peeling especially because my hands are in warm water frequently. For years, I've used other popular brands which I've found to be pretty much all very similar. With other brands, if I was very diligent about removing and reapplying nail polish at least every other day, not doing housework, etc., I could get my nails to grow an 1/8 of an inch or so before breaking off. So a couple months ago mom comes to visit. Mom has never had anything but super short nails, but when I saw her, she had gorgeous nails. I asked her secret and she told me it was OPI laquer she got from one of her girlfriends. Mom and I spent that week cleaning and painting my house, and her nails and polish stayed perfect the whole time. I ordered some OPI right away and tried it out. I loved it. It dries to a super-hard finish that can't be scratched, scraped, or peeled off. It must bond somehow to the nail, because even if I go for a week without re-applying, it still looks as perfect as the day it was applied. I no longer have to avoid soaking in the tub or doing housework if I want my nails to look nice for a special occasion. And for the first time ever, I have to actually trim and file my nails when they get longer than I like. Nail Envy and OPI Nail Laquer are very high quality products that work as advertised. The one minor drawback is that it yellows ever-so-slightly after a few days. I use the sheer laquers with a bit of white or pink tint so it's not noticeable. I haven't been brave enough to try any of the unique colors, but I recommend this brand!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2006 5:33:00 AM More reviews by chicitygirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this stuff for years now and it's seriously the best nail treatment/nail hardener out there. People always compliment me on my nails and Nail Envy is the reason why! I used to be a nail biter and then had acrylics and Nail Envy is the only product that has helped me grow nice, strong natural nails. I prefer the original version over the matte because I like the subtle shine.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2006 1:14:00 PM More reviews by beckybelle

I love what this (in matte) does for my thin, peeling, easily broken nails. And, used as a basecoat, it keeps my nail polish from chipping. It really bonds to your nail.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2006 4:25:00 PM More reviews by grenadine_00

I wash my hands often; unsurprisingly, my hands are frequently dry despite (mostly) regular application of hand cream and my generally short nails frequently peel/break. Manicures last ~ three days. Nail Envy works well in strengthening my nails so that they can grow the 1/8" beyond my fingertips. I wear this as base coat along with a clear topcoat - and my nails look fabulous. One lippie off for the odd yellowing with extended wear. Worth the $15.