July 25, 2014 | 1859 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - Dark Angels

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2009 2:01:00 PM More reviews by icecream4ever

I love this!!! It got rid of my acenein 2 weeks-amazing. It was a little tricky at first, since you had to mix water with it, but eventually you get used to it. UNfortuantly, my bioten broke me out...so hopeflly this clenser will be my savior again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2009 4:24:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Check out my notepad to read a more detailed explanation of my facial skin type!

What it Claims:
"Dark Angels is powerful cleanser designed for young and oily skin - as requested by our customers and inspired by our best-selling cleansing roll. It's got a natural, anti-bacterial cleanser in the form of Rhassoul mud which we buy direct from the mines in Morocco's Atlas Mountains. Powdered charcoal absorbs oil as it gives you a good scrub. Its firm approach is balanced by soothing rosewood and sandalwood essential oils to keep your skin soft."

Claims - True or False?
1) Absorbs oil: True. However, it absorbs so much oil that it leaves my skin slightly uncomfortable.
2) Keeps skin soft: True. Superficially, my skin felt REALLY smooth, but ultimately it also dried my skin out.

Packaging:
As with all LUSH cleansers and many of their products, it comes in a cheap, plastic container. In my opinion, that doesn't really bother me. It can be clumsy at times, but it does not hinder the performance of the products.

Smell:
I know that some people find that LUSH products can have a weird smell, but I actually love all the smells. Maybe because they all smell so earthy? This one was no different. However, it didn't smell earthy. I don't remember the scent exactly, but I do remember that it smelled really nice, maybe sweet. It wasn't offensive on my nose, and it was a nice boost to the cleanser.

Consistency:
This is a very exfoliating consistency. While it felt nice on the back of my hand, it felt too harsh on my face. The consistency may have also been what caused the breakouts - that or the charcoal. Considering I also had an adverse reaction to Coal Face, I will assume that both of these factors caused the breakouts. Despite it being so harsh, it had absolutely no effect on my blackheads - the only scrub I've found that does is the St. Ives Blackhead Apricot one. The non-scrubbing bits of the cleanser felt very soft and squishy, while the black residue it left was not as fun. I found that the consistency of this cleanser allowed me to use much less in order to properly cleanse my entire face.

Ease of Use:
I generally find that this cleanser, along with the other similar ones, are easy to use. I mean, how hard is it to place a piece in your palm, stick your fingers under running water, and rub the cleanser into a paste? It was, however, hard to ensure that it did not go everywhere. it was easy to spread, but slightly hard to rinse off completely. The packaging is easy to use as well, and if it is THAT big of a deal, just transfer it to some other kind of container, and ask the sales associates to just place the cleanser in that instead.

Bang for your Buck:
While LUSH cleansers are not the cheapest, they are affordable enough. I tend to find that anywhere between 7-10 dollars worth of their paste cleansers last me 3 months, with daily and nightly use. Because you do not need to use a huge glob, the small amount will last a good amount of time. With this cleanser, if used as an exfoliator, you can even buy a much cheaper amount, possibly a few dollars, and use it up for the 3 months.

Final Consensus:
Although I loved the smell and liked how it made my skin feel soft, it was a bit too drying and too irritating for my skin. As it was so abrasive, it caused sensitivity issues, as well as possibly caused my skin to be much more sensitive to the sun/heat. In all honesty, I would not recommend this for acne-prone people, as acne can generally worsen due to irritation. A better alternative would be a moisturizing and gentle exfoliator. As it broke me out and dried my skin out too much, it will not be something I purchase.
As LUSH products are quite hit or miss for acne sufferers, get a sample first and see how your skin likes it.

Overall Rating: 2/5
Price: 3/5
Packaging Quality: 3/5
Would you buy this product again: No.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2009 1:56:00 PM More reviews by TeresaTwilight

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is my holy grail cleanser. I absolutely ADORE it. I tried a few Lush cleansers e.g Herbalism, Angels on Bare Skin and they did nothing for my skin.

When I tried Dark Angels at first I was a little skeptical. The Lush woman told me that it had charcoal and black sugar in it and really exfoliates deep down into pores, so she kinda scared me a little and also it has an odd scent so I only walked away with a sample. The first night I tried it, I was a little overwhelmed. I felt that it was a little harsh for my skin and my face was pitch black. I wasn't impressed, but I stuck with it and carried on using the sample because I thought it was a little wasteful if I didn't keep at it and then I started to notice a real different. My acne went down, my pores visibly reduced, oil on my skin was completely gone.

I recommend this to ALL of my friends and anyone I come across who complains about oily, teenage skin.

I absolutely adore this product

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2009 9:17:00 PM More reviews by Listerine

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

HG for me!!! Let me just say that I have been cursed with blackheads on my cheeks and forehead in addition to nose breakouts since my pre-teens (my nose always has/had a stupid coating of blackheads). Nothing has worked to get rid of the incessant breakouts on my nose! I've gotten professional chemical peels, used every product I could find (followed directions, did not use in excess) - even used things as simple as Witch Hazel to no avail. Then came along this brilliant gem. I do not use it as my sole cleanser, however. I use a quick, gentle cream cleanser to remove oil and makeup then follow with Dark Angels. It is very rough and scrubby, but for my skin non-drying and I'm not sensitive. If you are sensitive might not be the best match. For me, it has ELIMINATED my blackheads. They are 100% gone from my nose. First time in my adult life. Also good to get rid of peely patches as there are some nice essential oils that moisturize after the rough bits do their exfoliation. I love this stuff and will buy another tub when mine is through. Again, I can't imagine this is good for sensitive or dry skin for that matter. The product itself is pretty messy, but if you have a blackhead ridden nose, worth a try!!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2009 10:15:00 PM More reviews by CinSan011104

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have tried several other face products from Lush before.
Herbalism - broke me out horribly
Angels on Bare Skin - did nothing for me
Fresh Pharmacy - just didn't so anything either
Coal Face - Seemed to work for a couple of hours and then my skin would get EXTREMELY oily...gross!

Then I tried this product...it is my HG cleanser/exfoliator. I had nearly given up on Lush's face products. My skin really isn't that sensitive - as far as irritation/redness goes. So, I am able to use this twice daily without any trouble. It gets rid of the oil, and it stays that way throughout the day. I do have to agree with the other reviews - it is messy but its not really a big deal. Overall, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this product. I would recommend it to anybody with very oily skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2009 3:52:00 PM More reviews by taskinillusion

I absolutely adore this cleanser and scrub. I've tried so many products and I almost lost hope of finding my HG cleanser...until I found this. However, it is definitely not a gentle cleanser. If you skin is sensitive or was irritated after using Coal face, then don't even think about trying Dark Angels.

I've been using it for 3 weeks and it does everything I hoped: not expensive, leaves my face PERFECTLY clean, cleared my skin, improved my skin texture and it did not make my skin irritated or dry. The only bad things I would have to say is that like most Lush products, it's messy, it has an odd scent and the packaging is quite cheap.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/25/2009 6:23:00 AM More reviews by popejohn3rd

Do not buy this product! I wasted $11 on this. What it appears to be is dirt plain and simple with some oil perhaps olive oil and fragrant oils mixed in. You have to wet your fingers to get this to smear on your face (forget about using it on your body). If you have clothes on, you'll notice flecks of it get on your clothes making you look as if you've been gardening. My skin was irritated with this, and it does not clean well. I first tried this on the whole body in the bath. Not only did it not do anything, but it clogged my tub and I still had body odors! I tried to contact LUSH about my disatisfaction to no avail. You are probably better off getting some powdered charcoal or bentonite clay, mixing with essential oils and doing it that way if you feel you need something like this. Definitely not worth what I paid, and the packaging was really cheap. The oils had leaked all out into the postal service container.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2009 12:20:00 AM More reviews by illeyad

I feel like the party pooper because this product was a red light for me. I thought since Coal Face was a failure for me, this would be the new and improved version to try.

PROS: (1) love the scent of liquorice (2) It is easy to crumble f a piece and use a precise measure amount on skin.

CONS: (1) The packaging is terrible, it a clear plastic container. A shallow black pot would have been better and easier to use. (2) it broke me out, as did coal face. (3) It was too drying. (4) irritated my skin.

I am not sure what it is in this product that bothers my skin so much, it could be the coal itself, or some of the oils used. However my skin is simply not compatible with it, Mask f Magnaminty has proven to be a better alternative for me
Happy Shopping

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2009 10:59:00 AM More reviews by Autumn13

What a wonderful cleanser!! And, if you haven't tried it, I say run, don't walk, to your nearest Lush store. After reading the reviews, I was more than happy to try it since my current cleaner is so-so. So, the first time I used it, it was amazing. My face was so soft, clean and glowing. Never had a cleanser do that before but I wanted to wait and see what happens after a week. Well, it's over a week and my face is sooooooooooo soft and the texture so different from last week. We are talking baby's bum. I have a 3-yr old and I should know. My husband, who loves me dearly and allows me to purchase to my heart's desire, no matter what I look like on same days, actually commented on how my face felt really soft and "bright". I told him glowing? And, he said, yes. He thought I was you know expecting. I said no! I told him that it was that black coal smelling glob in the funky looking container. Well, he wanted to know where I got it because he wanted to buy me more.:-)

I use DAC in the shower so no mess and I just mix a very small amount with very little water to make a thick paste. It's very grainy and can feel a slight tingly when I rub too hard, so be gentle. I hadn't tried it as a mask. I can pretty much gauge that the amount of DAC I have, since it's sold by weight, will last me about over 3 months if I use it daily. I paid $17. Doing the math, that would be 18 cents a day. 18 cents a day for a compliment from my husband, that's not too shabby. Maybe on those days that I have to deep condition my hair, I'll give the mask thing a twirl as per previous poster. :-)

Update: 7/27/09: Forgot to mention that I mix Dark Angel with very little wate in a small dish to make the paste and take it with me in the shower. This will help with those that are having trouble with using their hands to create the paste. After I wash my hair and place a small amount of conditioner, I let the conditioner do its thing and then I use Dark Angel. After a minute or two, I wash off the conditioner and Dark Angel at the same time. No fuss, no mess. I hope this helps a bit.BTW: the texture of my face is so even and soft that I can't help but touch it more often than before. Even with foundation, powder and blush, my face is still very soft. Dark Angel is worth its weight in gold.

15 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2009 10:47:00 PM More reviews by brassdancer

oh my GOD I love this stuff!!!! I got this as a sample, and will most definetly get this in full size. Its just enough exfoliation for me, and doesnt scrape off my face! It leaves my face moisturized but clean feeling after I am done. My only gripe is it is SUPER messy, but I use it in the shower so it isn't a problem. I definetly recommend this!