August 22, 2014 | 1966 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - Dark Angels

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 8/8/2009 7:13:00 AM More reviews by Ruth81

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Since I have a clogged and oily T-zone (oh the joys of problem skin) Dark Angels is a little beauty at clearing me out once a week and keeping the oiliness at bay for days on end. I don't know how it does it, I'm just glad it does. It retails for just over 5 and comes in the usual 100g black LUSH pot. The product is jet black and looks/feels like a thick powder that turns into a paste when you add water. I can certainly smell the liquorice, but it disappears after rinsing, although the sink usually needs a good clean afterwards. I got Dark Angels free as I spent over 20 at Lush very recently - and spending over 20 there is easily done by me! I have acne-prone, hyper-sensitive roscea-prone skin, so what on earth was I doing with a liquorice and charcoal cleanser/scrub aimed at young, oily skin? Well, after a demonstration of the product by the lovely SA at the Chester branch, I thought this product may possibly 'suck' the dirt out of my clogged pores if I used it as a mask rather than a scrub. And it turned out that I was right! The scrubby bits are far too harsh on my skin, so I avoid rubbing it, but I apply it as a mask and let it do its thing till it dries, (which is does very quickly) and rinse off. I only do it once a week, as that's the most my skin can handle - this product is not for the faint hearted! My skin is not only smooth, but my skin stays matte for days on end, but not dry and flaky. It also works a treat on my bacne. Happy days.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/7/2009 1:09:00 PM More reviews by thlewis

I've been using this for a week nightly and really like it. I can tell that with continued use, it will be wonderful. My skin feels clean and smooth after using this product in such a short amount of time. It got rid of my reoccurring black heads and is fading dark spots left from acne. I'll continue using to see how it goes, but for now it's working great!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2009 8:27:00 PM More reviews by KikiBee09

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've been using this for about a week and have been really impressed so far. I was using it twice a day at first, but find that my skin is happier when I use it only at night and only tone and moisturize in the morning. Dark Angels has really started to draw out impurities within my pores (and as a result caused a few blemishes the first few days I was using it). My skin just glows after cleansing! The smell is a bit odd, but overall it doesn't bother me or linger for more than a few minutes. I really hope that my skin continues to respond so well to this product, because as of now I am in love with it!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2009 10:02:00 AM More reviews by firetruckmama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I ordered by mail and it was a mess! Product leaked out and everything else in my order was oily. However, after using this 2 times (I use 2-3 week) I seriously cannot believe the glow! I'm 36 and was just feeling like my skin was ruddy and not responding to anything and makeup wasn't doing much. When I use this product I feel like a goddess (at least in my face). I stopped using all makeup except eye and am loving it!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2009 2:51:00 PM More reviews by chickmc2003

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS! It's fun to use, smells amazing, and sucks the gunk right out of your pores! Just remember to use a toner after! My face is so smooth from this and AOBS that i have to remind myself "Hands Off!"

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2009 5:06:00 AM More reviews by RaspberryBeetle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Wow. This cleanser is different from any other that I've used over the years. I've always liked Angels on Bare Skin for it's mildness and exfoliating properties, but Dark Angels blows it away. The texture is like soft mud with granules for exfoliation. The scent is earthy and relaxing. My skin looks radiant now that I've been using it for a week. My skin looks more even-toned and the ingredients seem to have helped with overall puffiness and inflammation from allergens, makeup, etc. I love it.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2009 2:01:00 PM More reviews by icecream4ever

I love this!!! It got rid of my acenein 2 weeks-amazing. It was a little tricky at first, since you had to mix water with it, but eventually you get used to it. UNfortuantly, my bioten broke me out...so hopeflly this clenser will be my savior again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2009 4:24:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Check out my notepad to read a more detailed explanation of my facial skin type!

What it Claims:
"Dark Angels is powerful cleanser designed for young and oily skin - as requested by our customers and inspired by our best-selling cleansing roll. It's got a natural, anti-bacterial cleanser in the form of Rhassoul mud which we buy direct from the mines in Morocco's Atlas Mountains. Powdered charcoal absorbs oil as it gives you a good scrub. Its firm approach is balanced by soothing rosewood and sandalwood essential oils to keep your skin soft."

Claims - True or False?
1) Absorbs oil: True. However, it absorbs so much oil that it leaves my skin slightly uncomfortable.
2) Keeps skin soft: True. Superficially, my skin felt REALLY smooth, but ultimately it also dried my skin out.

Packaging:
As with all LUSH cleansers and many of their products, it comes in a cheap, plastic container. In my opinion, that doesn't really bother me. It can be clumsy at times, but it does not hinder the performance of the products.

Smell:
I know that some people find that LUSH products can have a weird smell, but I actually love all the smells. Maybe because they all smell so earthy? This one was no different. However, it didn't smell earthy. I don't remember the scent exactly, but I do remember that it smelled really nice, maybe sweet. It wasn't offensive on my nose, and it was a nice boost to the cleanser.

Consistency:
This is a very exfoliating consistency. While it felt nice on the back of my hand, it felt too harsh on my face. The consistency may have also been what caused the breakouts - that or the charcoal. Considering I also had an adverse reaction to Coal Face, I will assume that both of these factors caused the breakouts. Despite it being so harsh, it had absolutely no effect on my blackheads - the only scrub I've found that does is the St. Ives Blackhead Apricot one. The non-scrubbing bits of the cleanser felt very soft and squishy, while the black residue it left was not as fun. I found that the consistency of this cleanser allowed me to use much less in order to properly cleanse my entire face.

Ease of Use:
I generally find that this cleanser, along with the other similar ones, are easy to use. I mean, how hard is it to place a piece in your palm, stick your fingers under running water, and rub the cleanser into a paste? It was, however, hard to ensure that it did not go everywhere. it was easy to spread, but slightly hard to rinse off completely. The packaging is easy to use as well, and if it is THAT big of a deal, just transfer it to some other kind of container, and ask the sales associates to just place the cleanser in that instead.

Bang for your Buck:
While LUSH cleansers are not the cheapest, they are affordable enough. I tend to find that anywhere between 7-10 dollars worth of their paste cleansers last me 3 months, with daily and nightly use. Because you do not need to use a huge glob, the small amount will last a good amount of time. With this cleanser, if used as an exfoliator, you can even buy a much cheaper amount, possibly a few dollars, and use it up for the 3 months.

Final Consensus:
Although I loved the smell and liked how it made my skin feel soft, it was a bit too drying and too irritating for my skin. As it was so abrasive, it caused sensitivity issues, as well as possibly caused my skin to be much more sensitive to the sun/heat. In all honesty, I would not recommend this for acne-prone people, as acne can generally worsen due to irritation. A better alternative would be a moisturizing and gentle exfoliator. As it broke me out and dried my skin out too much, it will not be something I purchase.
As LUSH products are quite hit or miss for acne sufferers, get a sample first and see how your skin likes it.

Overall Rating: 2/5
Price: 3/5
Packaging Quality: 3/5
Would you buy this product again: No.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2009 1:56:00 PM More reviews by TeresaTwilight

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is my holy grail cleanser. I absolutely ADORE it. I tried a few Lush cleansers e.g Herbalism, Angels on Bare Skin and they did nothing for my skin.

When I tried Dark Angels at first I was a little skeptical. The Lush woman told me that it had charcoal and black sugar in it and really exfoliates deep down into pores, so she kinda scared me a little and also it has an odd scent so I only walked away with a sample. The first night I tried it, I was a little overwhelmed. I felt that it was a little harsh for my skin and my face was pitch black. I wasn't impressed, but I stuck with it and carried on using the sample because I thought it was a little wasteful if I didn't keep at it and then I started to notice a real different. My acne went down, my pores visibly reduced, oil on my skin was completely gone.

I recommend this to ALL of my friends and anyone I come across who complains about oily, teenage skin.

I absolutely adore this product

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2009 9:17:00 PM More reviews by Listerine

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

HG for me!!! Let me just say that I have been cursed with blackheads on my cheeks and forehead in addition to nose breakouts since my pre-teens (my nose always has/had a stupid coating of blackheads). Nothing has worked to get rid of the incessant breakouts on my nose! I've gotten professional chemical peels, used every product I could find (followed directions, did not use in excess) - even used things as simple as Witch Hazel to no avail. Then came along this brilliant gem. I do not use it as my sole cleanser, however. I use a quick, gentle cream cleanser to remove oil and makeup then follow with Dark Angels. It is very rough and scrubby, but for my skin non-drying and I'm not sensitive. If you are sensitive might not be the best match. For me, it has ELIMINATED my blackheads. They are 100% gone from my nose. First time in my adult life. Also good to get rid of peely patches as there are some nice essential oils that moisturize after the rough bits do their exfoliation. I love this stuff and will buy another tub when mine is through. Again, I can't imagine this is good for sensitive or dry skin for that matter. The product itself is pretty messy, but if you have a blackhead ridden nose, worth a try!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No