September 19, 2014 | 973 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2010 2:27:00 AM More reviews by coldkiwi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

LOVE this stuff. I've had severe acne since age 8, and scars all over my face.

This stuff works fast, and I see my acne marks fully lighten in about 2 weeks. It is the only thing that works on my skin. My dermatologist reccomends me use it at night, which works, but sometimes I re-apply throughout the day after I ash my face and such. This stuff is the most amazing thing that's ever happened to my face.
GET IT!

The only cons are that I have to get it through my dermatologist, and that it smells annoying, but not bad... just like nail polish and acrylic paints mixed together? LOL

Anyways, I love this stuff. Lightens my acne marks well. And it is cheaper than a chemical peel. But you have to keep up with the dosages and such. Well, you don't have to, but it's best to.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/15/2010 6:33:00 PM More reviews by Rouquine25

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I got the cream form of Retin A from my dermatologist for acne. I don't have horrible acne to begin with, but I just wanted to get completely cleared up. This wasn't the product to do that. It made my skin worse than it ever has been. Itchy, red, bumpy...just horrible. As soon as I quit using it my skin got better. I think the gel form of Retin A might be less irritating than this junk, so if your going to get Retin A, don't get the cream! It clogs your pores!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2010 11:48:00 PM More reviews by MsFernandez

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've been using 0.25 for 6 months. I started off with cream (tretinX) samples from my derm and then went on to purchase the gel from alldaychemist because I have no insurance and can't afford the regular rx. I initially started using it every day and had a horrible horrible initial break out. I mean the kind that makes you not want to leave the house or look in the mirror. Big hard deep painful under the skin pimples and red raw peeling skin. It was NOT fun. Week 2 through 6 were the worst and every single day I would sit at work and tell myself I was not going to put it on that night, but every night I went home and used it, just hoping I'd wake up the next day magically healed. So at exactly the third month (just like all the directions say!) my skin finally showed the results I'd been praying for. No more pimples, ZERO clogged pores, hyper pigmentation dramatically reduced, fine lines softened, pores smaller, Skin feels more firm, texture is greatly improved. I am SO happy and SO glad I stuck with it. I dropped down to every other day because, even after 6 months of use, I'm still pretty prone to flakiness. I can't wait to see the results as time goes on and I will definitely be using this stuff for the rest of my life!! Oh and I totally agree with the reviewer below me, MUFE F&B is AWESOME when your skin is really flakey!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2010 5:42:00 PM More reviews by ajppgh

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

LOVE Retin A!! I am 43 and look 10 years younger b/c of it. Whereas other women my age have lines and wrinkles ( some are actually pretty bad) I literally have none. I have been using this for 5 years now. I tolerate the cream so much better than micro. Minimal redness and peeling( were talking once in a blue moon and it can be only seen if I have foundation on.
I did try this in my 20;s for acne but hated it. I never let myself get past the red and peeling part. Vanity and fear of wrinkles brought me to it in my 30's and I couldn't be happier that I gave it a chance.

tip for foundation: I have found that MUFE F&B to be the best foundation while using Retin a. b/c it does not accentuate flaking at all.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2010 5:07:00 PM More reviews by widoutu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Ah ;) This is my savior !! ok. I used it for now...8 weeks and I have to say this actually works!!!!!!!!! I'm super excited right now so please excuse me for whatever I do wrong here LOL. sososo. I had acne since I was in 6th grade and I never had result like this with anything. I always had about 3-4 red acne on my face at any given time for past 8years and right now i have NOTHING. NOTHING ON MY FACE ;) I was always looking for full-coverage makeup and now all i need is sheer tinted moisturizer. Well I still have some acne marks and I still have large pores but its really remarkable considering I used it for just 8 weeks!
I have been alternating between .01% gel and .05% gel (from alldaychemist), and it is working great for me. Yes i experienced peeling and purging but they were not that bad for me. I think week 4-7 has been worst but it was endurable. I got about 5-6 small bubbly pimples each day during those weeks but in a day or two it would fade. Peeling was pretty bad in that it hurts a little and makes me look ugly with makeup on. However~~ it really does pay off ;D I never knew I was this pretty LOL I would definitely recommend it to everyone who has had acne problem. Give it a try it if you haven't!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/2/2010 1:36:00 AM More reviews by xolalala

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

Oh boy, where to start with this stuff. Let me just say I was SUPER excited to finally try this stuff out, as I've had acne for about 8 years now =[ I used the Tretinoin Gel in .025 for 3 months and my face hasn't looked this bad since 6th grade. In the beginning, my skin wasn't doing much of anything- didn't get bad, didn't get worse. Fast forward to 2 and a half months, and my skin was breaking out terribly and in places that I don't normally break out. But I was determined to stick it out the 3 months to see if anything good would happen. ....It didn't. Now I'm left with breakouts everywhere and my skin is just absolutely awful. This did nothing for my red marks or active acne. Just made everything worse. Such a waste of $67. I was so hopeful that this would work for me but alas I loathe this product.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2010 11:50:00 AM More reviews by gracejones

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have been applying a small pea-sized amount every night about 10 mins after washing face. I use 0.025% cream, ordered online.

For the moment I have mixed feelings. At the moment wondering if this stuff is a curse. I see all these reviews about how wonderful this stuff but the OB of zits, cysts and crap plus red marks from zits that it gave me. But they say you need 2-3 months to see results so I am going to keep trying but honestly nearly every day lately I just want to give up.

The first few weeks I had the most terrible out breaks EVER. I am turning 30 and start to notice lines on forehead and esp around mouth as I used to be a smoker. Am desperate to find a cream to remove these lines. Read great stuff on retin a so am trying it.

Here is my week to week experience:

FYI I normally dont have many pimples; just a few around my period and maybe 1-2 max during the time I'm not with period. This stuff broke me out like never before, in places I have never had and lots of black and white heads which I never used to have.

Week 1: first few days nothing happens but on day 3 I get a ton of tiny little pimples on my nose around my mouth especially. I try not to pick them but some are gross white heads, so I pick them, then regret is as it leaves red, inflamed skin. Strangely those I did not pick go away but are replaced by new ones elsewhere. Its like watching my skin in fast forward mode with tons of zits yuk.

Week 2: I get two massive cysts one on the side of my nose and the other on my chin. One on side of nose is quite bad for a few days, I apply a prescription anti-biotic ointment and it improves but now there is another little spot left to it that wont go and I dont want to pick it as I can feel it will become infected plus it does not seem 'pickable'. Cyst on my chin is awful, just gets bigger and bigger and eventually I pop it although I should not and then it just oozes pus for 3 days solid. Grossest spot ever. I try everything to dry it up but eventually in desperation reach for the bleach (i know i know not the safest thing) which does dry it up. I keep applying hydrogen peroxide and strange thing is after 2 days it is already completely dried out and all that is left is a red dry skin weal. Like I said this stuff seems to fast forward skin which means twice as many zits but zits also heal faster.

Week 3:still have zits on my nose and blackheads are worse than ever, also lots of blackheads on left side of chin but trying not to pick them as it does not seem to help and just leaves skin red and irritated. No peeling so far. Cyst on chin healing nicely fingers crossed it is truly dead. All that is left, like I said is red rugged skin.
Had two really nasty whiteheads on chin. Then I developed another cyst on side of my nose but was prepared so nuked it with Hydrogen peroxide.

Week 4: my skin has never looked so uneven, I have red flattened pimples all over my left cheek, bad black heads on nose and chin and a few nasty whiteheads on chin. Skin calmed down mid week and I thought that maybe this awful zitty period had ended and was on my way to clear skin but NO! I did not wash my face Friday morning until a few hours after I got up and boom 4 new pimples!
Skin now is clearing up a little again but I am aware that this may not be for long. I just want my skin to be clear for my birthday in 2 weeks time...

Week 5: after a major outbreak of tiny pimples on my chin on the weekend, my skin has calmed down a lot, only a few little pimples around my mouth although the blackheads on my nose seem to just be horrible daily, no matter how many times I clean out the pores. Have been doing some saunas, this may have helped too.
Am hoping the fact that I have now less pimples means I will get less and less as the weeks go on until I have none.
I have noticed some previously enlarged pores seem to have lessened although cant really see much difference in wrinkles or otherwise.

week 6: much less spots than before but they are still not gone, also have red marks all around my nose where spots just kept on developing one after the other, even this week 2 small spots developed there to add to the redness. Whole left cheek has what I called flat acne, red marks of acne but that are not raised but flat. Also have o have 2 or 3 tinies beneath eye, not that noticeable nd thank goodness for concealer. Tuesday was pretty bad, did not want to leave house due to inflamed area beneath eye. Although complexion overall is more even, pores looking a little more refined. Still have quite a few blackheads on nose. Wrinkles still visible though, I have heard it can take 3-6 months to see final result.
I think I have also been helping my skin by washing with african black soap and moisturising with pure cocoa butter plus doing lots of saunas.

Wk 7: saunas etc no longer seem to be working. Developed huge zit above lip, cyst in place I have never ever had one. Dried it out with Hydrogen Peroxide and aspirin mask but it still looks pretty messy. All of this I got for my birthday, thanks retin A. Spots underneath eye not going away, raised bump. Picked it today out of desperation, nothing came out.
Now new raised bump on chin. Also red marks all over left cheek where zits came and went. My skin has never looked this awful before retin a. Keep wondering how much longer I can take this aggghhhhhhhh its frustrating me so much and I read all these great reviews but my skin feels dry, nasty, acne-prone HELP!!!!

Wk 7 was awful but wk 8 has been a bit better but not perfect. At least scars from the gross 2 HUGE cysts last week have almost gone. But lots of white heads coming and going around mouth.

EDIT: I never got used to this, it made me break out and switched to use renova the retin a gel once every 3 days and now my skin is much happier.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2010 12:32:00 AM More reviews by cia_agent86

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff is awesome! I use tretinoin .05% now. I had really constant acne, under the skin bumps that were practically non extractable. I started with .025% for about a month almost everyday, then the peeling started, then my face turned red around my mouth (think like I'd rubbed kool-aid around my mouth). My skin was super dehydrated cracked looking. And then after about a month (I kept up with it) of not wearing makeup at work, my skin started to peel and VOILA! It was clear and expunged! And now I use .05% for maintenance, alternating with Alpha Hydroxy lotion. :)

Highly recommended and to stick with it if your using it!
UPDATE: 9-6-11 Still loving this stuff :)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 5/23/2010 5:07:00 PM More reviews by rvmc

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I have had persistent acne for 16 years, since I was 10. (Fun.) Just this year I was diagnosed with endometriosis, which explains a lot, skin-wise. I had been on Yasmin (oral contraceptive pill) for more than six months, and my skin still hadn't cleared up - I had neverending whiteheads around my mouth, the really huge painful itchy ones. I got a prescription for retin-a from my doctor (guess she could tell I was at my wits' end). After a month it had cleared up the whiteheads (nice not to have painful face) but did dry my skin terribly.

I have used it for two months now, and while I haven't had the huge whiteheads, my whole face (including cheeks which have never before had spots) is full of clogged pores and looks ridiculously bumpy. I look hideous. Worse than when I had the whiteheads! I've tried exfoliating, tried not using anything, tried using more retin-a, but it just gets worse and worse. So I'm going to stop retin-a and move on to tamanu oil (I'm running out of options here). Also, at $50 a tube, it's a bit much.

The plus side is that it did rather improve the wrinkle on my forehead - perhaps I can use it just there, hmm.

I think I am just one of the unlucky ones who doesn't react well with it, unfortunately.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2010 7:46:00 AM More reviews by monchichi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Maybe this is just another review for a product which had a lot of background. Basicly seen this is the only proven anti aging treatment available. In most forms it is just in anti aging creams from many high end brands, but in a very deluted version. For that reason I use currently 0,05% tretinoinecream. I have used it for years and years but I quitted it more then a year ago because of the side effect: drying skin. If you have, like me, initially a dry skin, it is even more terrible. I always use the most expensive brands for skincare (see my reviews) but I decided to go back to this, because as an anti aging treatment, it does work! People who experience burning, peeling with this product do have got to stop a while. Remember: this product takes away surface from the skin. If your skin is getting red, burned you have used too much retin a you must stop using it for a while. That's because the product is taking skin of skin that is already lost of dead skin. This makes your skin very vulnerable and very prone to sunsputs! My advice is (and I know that is very hard to follow) to use it (definetely) but very slow. At the start maybe one time a week for a month. Second month: two times a week and so on. Even this is maybe too fast! I you really want an anti aging product this is really what you need! Some people do think that using this product more will have more anti aging benefits, that is so untrue. Your skin is able to take just an amount on anti aging. So please don't overdo. If you use the product as I am saying purging for those with acne can occur. In that case: also slow down the use of retin a... The product is strong so it is normal that skin protests. Patience is the key with this product... It is proven that retin a can't do much as an anti sunspot treatment. For that reason I use a tiny bit of hydroquinone in my prescripion of retin a: just 0,5%. I will use just one tube with hydroquinone in at a year! I use maybe 3 tubes a year retin a and just one with hydroquinone in. The concentration is very low (most hydroquinone is 2 tot 5% and is maybe cancer influenced) but only 0,5% is maybe less harmless then plants, pearls or other not proven things against anti aging. I swear that every skin can get better by retin a if properly used with patience. Everyone who wants truly young skin needs this and a good sunblock! From now one I stick with it. I can now bear it two times a week and I suppose that that will be the routine I will follow. The other days I use my regular skincare... I again understand what a stupid fool I have been to stop with it. The best. Nothing more, nothing less.

19 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No