Chanel Mascara Exceptionnel

3.6

Water, paraffin, styrene/acrylates/ammonium methacrylate copolymer, stearic acid, palmitic acid, beeswax, acacia senegal gum extract, carnauba wax, triethanolamine, vp/hexadecene copolymer, ethylene/va copolymer, hydroxyethylcellulose, cellulose, aminomethyl propanediol, phenoxyethanol, silica, butylene glycol, methylparaben, propylparaben, polyquaternium-10, microcrystalline wax, sodium laureth-12 sulfate, synthetic wax, potassium sorbate, edta, dimethicone. May contain: carmine, ultramarines, bismuth oxychloride, chromium cyanide, manganese violet, titanium dioxide, mica.

on 8/28/2008 10:03:00 AM

...I think I would buy this product again. I was on Chanel's website about to buy my go-to Inimitable Mascara when I saw their newest product "Exceptionnel". I have somewhat short, straight eyelashes; nothing that a curler and a volumizing mascara can't remedy, though.

I've been a fan of the Inimitable since it came out last year and figured I could handle the splurge (ie cost) every few months. It makes my lashes fan out beautifully, adding thickness, length, and curl. I found that it even stood up to humidity better than the waterproof version, and it never made my lashes brittle or stiff. But, I digress...

I went to the Macy's nearest to me in downtown Boston. I asked the MUA about the Exceptionnel, and all she could say is that it is the newest on the market but that she loved it even more than Inimitable because it was basically was Inimitable but even more dramatic. I've used it twice now...the first time made my eyelashes look fake, Halloween, and costumey. My lashes clumped together and were ridiculously (bad) long. I tried it again this morning, taking a little more time with the 6-sided comb wand-- do not wiggle the brush; instead, roll it between your fingers as you start from the lash base outward. Yes, it does take some coordination. Maybe 3 swipes/rolls, but no more. And there is a big glob of mascara that lingers at the end of the wand...so beware of that.

Overall, I think Inimitable does a better job of volumizing, whereas Exceptionnel does a lot for lengthening, curling, and separating so it's pretty but I don't think this is the one for me. I'll update more as I use it.

on 8/23/2008 5:11:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

In terms of performance, most mascaras work wonders for my already pretty long lashes. I only use mascara sparingly--when its a really special occasion and I want a really dramatic eye look (cat eye, smokey eye, etc). Similarly, this chanel mascara was wonderful. It lengthened, separated, gave curl and defined without depositing so much black gunk that I would look like a ho ... (you know, the tramp look, thankfully I avoided it). Although this is not the lengthening mascara apparently (i think inimitable is), it did lengthen my lashes. I also use Prescriptives volumizing lash mascara (another winner), and honestly I like diorshow and YSL faux cils but the dior and ysl really make my eyes sting like crazy for some reason, both when putting on and when taking off, so I'd rather stick to something my eyes can tolerate, like Chanel. All in all, I'm never loyal to one mascara, but this is one I will definitely be reachign for a lot. I am pleasantly surprised at its versatility, ability to separate, strong but not over the top color, and compatibility with my sensitive eyes. As with all things chanel, it would be less upsetting if this was less expensive, but then I do believe that you get what you pay for.

on 8/22/2008 8:39:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral

Awesome mascara! Curls, lengthens, the works and all it takes is just one quick coat. I will never buy the YSL faux cils mascara again. Though I loved that one, it dried up so fast it broke my heart. I tried Inimitable and it did nothing for me but Exceptionnel really set the bar really high. Love it!

on 8/21/2008 9:12:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

First off, I am a DIORSHOW gal...loyal to the end. I have always loved the effect diorshow has on my already superlong eyelashes.
***But I was totally taken aback when I decided to try this mascara. The brush is a weird combo of 3 combs and 3 brushes, and I didn't think too much of it when I first looked at it.
Then I tried it, and I was QUITE IMPRESSED. I fell in love with it immediately.
The process of twirling the brush outward is quite easy and leaves your lashes curled and expertly defined!!!
I was very hesitant in trying, not just because of my Diorshow loyalty, but also because of the price. But, let me be the first to say that $28.00 for this product is definately worth it!!!!!
There is absolutely no flaking or smudging with this, and that made a big impression on me, because while I love Diorshow, I almost always eventually have smudging and flaking. -I use waterproof so it makes taking it of worse.
Not anymore though, because I will definately be switching to this mascara for good!!! And taking this off was a breeze!!! I am very pleased with this mascara, that I already bought one for my mom!!!

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Well, as it often happens when I am bored and I do not know what to do, i go out to the make up stores in search for "something new" something that can make my day. Then I think " better buy something you'll use up for sure" and most of the time this results in being lipstick, lipgloss, foundation, powder & mascara (as I think " you'll never go wrong with these").
So on one of these lazy & boring summer afternoons I bought the Chanel novelty, this "Exceptionnel" mascara.
I should have thought better, as I am a devotee of L'Inimitable that I think is the best mascara of the last 5 years and I swear by it.
So how could have they (=Chanel) come across anything better since they had already created the best one? Stupidly I did not start my brain to produce that thought in a timely manner, and compulsively bought this mascara.
It is not bad, mind you.
It had this soft plastic huge wand that represents the novelty (Inimitable has also a plastic/silicone wand but it is smaller and defines lashes far better!).
This one brush is too bulky to my opinion and is a bit messy to apply - the lower lashes... better forget them, the huge brush is messing it all up.
The color is rich and deep ; it adds tremendous volume to the lashes but... no definition, no separation.
What I like in a mascara is ...it must do it all: it must add volume, add length, define lashes (not stick them or glue them together) and color them deeply.
Inimitable does all that. Exceptionnel does only part of that.
A good mascara (it holds, does not smudge, of course it's a Chanel), but there are better around!! :o)

on 8/18/2008 4:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I recieved this mascara as a sample from a magazine.
And i used it for the first time 2 days ago for a party.
I applied without a primer and I twisted the brush like the Chanel website told me to, f.y.i. it's what i usually do with all mascara. It worked to beautifully! i went in my roommate's room to brag about it! I was dancing, laughing, partying, drinking and the next morning my lashes were impeccable!
What i mean is usually i have raccoon eyes, flakes, etc.
i stayed the night at my cousin's and some people from the night before came over for breakfast and all i did is wash my face, but around my eyes. And i was ready to go!
How else can i say this? My lashes looked as if i had just applied the mascara after a night of serious partying..
I LOVE this mascara! Please try it, and get the mascara technique down. It's helpful for any mascara application.

on 8/18/2008 3:01:00 PM

First off, this mascara adds a lot of length and volume, much more than most any mascara I've used. I don't really believe there is any one perfect mascara so I always figure there will be something wrong, it's more a matter of how much of it is right. At any rate, I like this mascara for the sheer amount of volume it gives your lashes, it's very dramatic and perfect for a really nice nightime look. It is however very clumpy, but for this mascara it's hard to explain, it is just part of the dramatic appeal of it. The wand is some strange sort of hybird, it's like diorshow meets lashblast. Looks like something someone made for a science fair project, it freaked me out. Having said that the wand worked for me just fine in the application process. All in all I will definitely repurchase for wearing at night because it gives the more dramatic look Diorshow, my hg, isn't quite capable of giving.

on 8/17/2008 3:29:00 PM

This is my new all time favourite mascara, although the price tag is definitely not my favourite. My lashes are naturally long and dark, however they are pin straight and I really like the false, doll eye lash look. I actually only apply this to the underside of my top lashes, and pull it up whilst rotating it. This really works for me and creates an amazing curl without even using a curler and volumizes as well as combs my lashes. However, I find it quite hard to reach the short ones close to the inside of my eye. It doesn't flake or smudge either! For extra oomph, I use a coat of Maybelline Volum' Express over the top and it just makes my lashes look so full and thick. The packaging is very elegant and classy, although I think I'd prefer a cheaper price tag!

on 8/9/2008 12:42:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

I got a free sample mini-tube and was really excited to try it. The brush looked really spiffy. I tried to rotate the brush while applying.. did my right eye and was amazed at how long it made my lashes after only one swipe. However, I had more trouble getting my left eye to look as good... I'm right-handed and it was more difficult to twirl the brush on my left eye. So, I ended up with one eye with really super long lashes, and the other just looked clumpy and sad. Maybe I'll get better with practice, maybe not. One swipe wasn't enough to give me any volume, but with adding another swipe added tons of clumps. This does not seperate at all... So then I had long lashes that were stuck to eachother in points. Oh, and it doesn't do a good job at holding a curl, either. I had to spend a lot of time with my lash comb to make it look decent. I might make one or two more attempts with this, on days where all I have to do is errands and my appearance is less important than usual... I'll update if there is a dramatic change and I suddenly love this but it is probably just going to go in the garbage. There is no way I would ever fork out the cash for this... avoid this one!
*edit* It wasn't just user error on my part... During a Chanel make-over, the MU applied this on me and it still looked clumpy and felt crunchy. Gross.

on 8/4/2008 12:31:00 PM

I worked at MAC for awhile so I have been using their mascaras without satisfaction. I was using Diorshow before that, and I found that it would dry out very easily and it just wasn't worth the money. Chanel has been pulling in my attention lately on the runway, so I thought I would try some of their make-up. I bought this mascara the first day it came out, and I have to say, it is the best product to ever grace these long lashes. It's super easy to apply (the brush is intimidating, but not as bad to use at it looks) and it goes on smooth and wet, so no clumps! It's a little expensive ($28 at Nordy's), but well worth it to me. I also love the classic Chanel packaging. The tube is sort of heavy, which always says luxorious to me! Also, it doesn't smug. I went out to my barn to pick up after my horse in the hot sun for a few hours yesterday, and besides all the dirt on my face, my eyes looked fab. No smuggy racoon eyes or flakey black pieces on my cheeks. It looked just as good as when I put it on that morning. I will definately buy again.

Popular Mascaras